Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

It’s time to make HK-55 and Chapter 10 available for subs??

Getting lots of support for HK-55 and chapter 10 to made available for subscribers who missed out.

Especially those people who’ve been continuously subbed for the last 6-12 months.

Eric, can you please bring this up with Keith. It would add some extra playable content into the game for those who’ve not done it, while we wait for 6.0 to be released.

EDIT: I’ve started another thread for everyone to discuss past rewards for older subs and what would continue to make you feel valued if old rewards were offered again.

Please take that part of the discussion over there so this thread can stop being derailed with bickering http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=963865

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd certainly be interested if it were made available again. Would make a lot of players happy and bring in some good revenue for the game as well. Also a good way to hype players up preemptively and attract some attention leading into the next expansion. Just seems like a great idea all around.

the chances are slim, there are event like this that never bring back like the grand aquisition race, that i believe is a one time event that never go back to game

The HK bonus chapter was obtained through subbing, not an in-game event. To my knowledge, the Grand Acquisitions Race was held only once, but they brought back all the rewards from it which are still available at the Cartel Bazaar. Just like during the event, it requires gameplay to obtain them.

In other words, there is a history of both past sub rewards and past in-game event rewards being made available again. I hope they do the same with the bonus chapter. Story-related content shouldn't be exclusive forever, if at all. I'd say the same of event companions like Dazh Ranos, who to an extent, also relate to the story and lore.

No - A past reward for completing something at the time (eg. remaining loyal and subbing) should not be given out at a later date. It makes a mockery of the reward.

Could even be legal implications for giving it out again... eg. Missold at the time blah blah.

This has been brought up numerous times and I think a dev once said they wouldn't give it out again, though I can't find the post.

• Dev Post

This conversation is certainly timely as it is a topic we have been revisiting internally as well. We have been actively talking about how, when, and if it would be possible to get make the HK chapter available again in some form. Whether that is a sub reward, sold on the market, etc.

Here is the thing we are trying to be sensitive to. Individuals who have it right now subbed for a number of months to get it and so if/when we bring it back, we need to make sure that we do it in a way that is fair to what they went through to get it. Ex: if it was a sub reward it would likely require multiple months of sub, or, if it was in the market it would be sold for a premium.

There is a lot of sensitivity on both sides. We agree that we would love to have a way for players who don't have it to get it (since it is story content, afterall). But it has to be done in a way that is fair to those who already have it. Let us know your thoughts (for, or against) and I can make sure all of your feedback is captured in our on-going discussion.

As a note I won't likely have an update on this in the short-tem, but as soon as I have any details I will pass them on.

-eric

There is a lot of sensitivity on both sides. We agree that we would love to have a way for players who don't have it to get it (since it is story content, afterall). But it has to be done in a way that is fair to those who already have it. Let us know your thoughts (for, or against) and I can make sure all of your feedback is captured in our on-going discussion.

At this point, I'm fine with making the chapter available again with the same qualification as when it was first available. Including, not retroactively allowing for time subbed to count when outside of the new qualifying window. At the time, players who had previously subbed for more than 6 or 7 months (some subbed for years) still only qualified for the chapter by being subbing during that set time frame. Make the chapter available once a year, with the same amount of continuous subbing as a qualifier.

Edited by Nmyownworld

At this point, i am sure they are bending over backwards to figure any way to retain or generate any interest in the game. Its content that is already there and, if given the same parameters as before, would give them several months of dedicated subs and may even get someone to come back. I am sure the powers that be are doing the best that they can with what they have to work with which i am sure isnt much.

It may not be the popular opinion and my thoughts in opposition were said long ago--and still the same today--i certainly understand why they would feel the need to do this.

No - A past reward for completing something at the time (eg. remaining loyal and subbing) should not be given out at a later date. It makes a mockery of the reward.

Could even be legal implications for giving it out again... eg. Missold at the time blah blah.

This has been brought up numerous times and I think a dev once said they wouldn't give it out again, though I can't find the post.

Agreed, the only acceptable way is that if it were brought as a premium CM item or required the same amounts of subscription time to unlock it. One suggestion in such a topic was to make subscription rewards based on how many months you've subscribed as opposed to when, so if you've subscribed for 6 months you'd unlock Shroud of Memory, I'd be fine with such a system if it were implemented but something else would kill the entire point of subscription rewards.

I am a Sub, I've been one since the game started, and it honestly doesn't bother me in the least to have this chapter available to more players! It's so unique and funny that it should be shared more widely with the player base. If you want to tie it to being subbed to the game or sell it, fine, but it's just too good not to be shared. One of the funniest times I've had in the game is taking my nephew down there and getting him shot by HK without telling him about it ahead of time! =) (Yes, he's got his own account that was subbed, too)

For anyone complaining about having been subbed for the original release, you got your prize, you played it years before anyone else, just be content with that. There's no reason to be proprietary about it at this point, imo.

Edited by Kayeri

This conversation is certainly timely as it is a topic we have been revisiting internally as well. We have been actively talking about how, when, and if it would be possible to get make the HK chapter available again in some form. Whether that is a sub reward, sold on the market, etc.

Here is the thing we are trying to be sensitive to. Individuals who have it right now subbed for a number of months to get it and so if/when we bring it back, we need to make sure that we do it in a way that is fair to what they went through to get it. Ex: if it was a sub reward it would likely require multiple months of sub, or, if it was in the market it would be sold for a premium.

First: I don't have HK-55 because i did not even started playing swtor until later. So my opinion is biased as someone who would like to have it. (This is also my opinion for Shae Vizla, its been over two years and i missed that one for very little.)

My view is that it is old content and that content required no "in game" efforts (like Ranos that do required a LOT). After several years, i think those that got it already had a fair reward. So i don't think making it available to actual/new subs is unfair even if its "free". That being said, asking for a cc amount can also be fair, as long as is not that much. If you ask for an equivalent of all months required originally (like i read proposed some time ago), then what about the person who only missed for a couple days? Would you calculate personalised discounts?

Also, locking it again for payers with X Months uninterrupted subs will only get people to more complains: "i have been subbed for 6 months since 2 hours ago and didn't recieved my companion", "i could not access swtor to renew my sub and was preferred for 2 days and cannot get my comp", etc.

So...

Free for subs: Excelent

Cost like other CM companions (or less): I can work with that

Cost more: Don't even bother

I don't really hang out here now, but I wanted to offer my support for bringing back the HK-55 content. One, because we're so starved for story this year. Two because I miss HK.

My suggestions would be:

1. Offer it for the same terms as the original offer; ie, being subscribed for the exact same length of time. Let people know this is coming (as you did with the Paxton promotion) so they can jump in. OR price it like the HK-51 quest chain in the Cartel Market.

2. For those who already have HK-55 content, offer some sort of substantial reward instead so there aren't so many hurt feelings. I think with the Shae and Nico promotion, older subs were upset because they didn't get anything. This needs to be something that is more than a speeder or pet that people will actually use. Obviously not story content, or we'll be right back here in a few years. Maybe one or more of the following:

- A 'gift certificate' for a premium weapon, creature companion or set of armor of their choice

- A generous Cartel Coin grant

- A special title indicating they were here first. :)

Also, locking it again for payers with X Months uninterrupted subs will only get people to more complains: "i have been subbed for 6 months since 2 hours ago and didn't recieved my companion", "i could not access swtor to renew my sub and was preferred for 2 days and cannot get my comp", etc.

The way to resolve this situation is to give players plenty of advanced notice of when the clock starts ticking. For example, announce in August that starting with the release of date of Onslaught you will receive the quest 6 months after the release date if you stay subbed continuously.

Asking for personalized discounts / pro-rated time is a stretch if they give players advanced notice. Will a select few players who don't read the intro / splash screen, read the forums, etc. lose out? Probably. But BW can only accommodate so much. Forewarned is forearmed I say.

Dasty

Eric,

I'm one of those that stayed subbed for months in order to get it. I can honestly say I don't give a flip if you give it away for free now. It was the best chapter out of all and it'd be a shame if not everyone got a chance to play it. Sufficient time has passed that it's original value has depreciated.

Eric,

I did sub for the months to get it and yea it is a touchy subject for some but it could be done a way that would not make others feel like they are being ignored. I know some say well you got it for xx amount of time there is no reason you should feel slighted but that isn't always the case.

I would suggest one of two things

(1) Those that don't have it would need to be subbed for an xx amount of time to be eligible for it and give the ones that have it a choice of an item (an I mean any item not a select few) from the cartel shop or something equal in value to this and keep this as a continuous item or

(2) Add vet rewards to the game where items are offered based on a number of sub days and have more than one item to choose from for a set amount of days. Do this every 3 months and always include something new due to the fact that there will always be some that have most everything you have given out.

An idea how that can work (this is from SWG) https://www.swgemu.com/archive/scrapbookv51/data/20071216101851/index.html

Edited by casirabit

(1) Those that don't have it would need to be subbed for an xx amount of time to be eligible for it and give the ones that have it a choice of an item (an I mean any item not a select few) from the cartel shop or something equal in value to this and keep this as a continuous item.

Which one of the following would you like?

A) Blue Mini-Droid Pet; B) Gold Mini-Droid Pet? or C) Red Mini-Droid Pet?

:p

Dasty the Snot :rak_03:

It should NOT be made available again.

Where do you draw the line? It would mean you would have to make EVERY unique item available again, and worse still it would have to be made available constantly, otherwise the same old requests will keep coming up.

PVP season rewards, other unique events, DvL, offers from gift cards - there are numerous pets etc, pre-order of expansions, cantina codes, other benefits that I can't think of, the list goes on.

I'm sorry others missed out on this, but it should not be made available. It was a one time offer back then and should remain so.

Edited by GrimTheGlutt

Eric,

I'm one of those that stayed subbed for months in order to get it. I can honestly say I don't give a flip if you give it away for free now. It was the best chapter out of all and it'd be a shame if not everyone got a chance to play it. Sufficient time has passed that it's original value has depreciated.

I'm someone who's got it too and I'm pretty okay with other people getting the content. The galaxy should not be deprived of the over-the-top silly that is ZO-0M and the Exarch's Elevator of Destiny!

I'd also be okay with it being a premium CC item since the whole package includes two companions, a fully voiced episode, a new deco... and if you're really getting technical, being subscribed over that whole period also gave you things like the HK-55 Jetpack and themed weapons.

In fact, if were to make a general suggestion; that wouldn't be a bad package model for premium bonus content. Package an episode length mission, a companion featured in that mission (either as the main character like the HK chapter or as new companion like we go on Ossus), plus some themed items (decorations, vehicles, armor, etc.) into a single package available to continuous subscribers for free, or can be purchased as a premium item for CC.

Heck, throw an episode in with the lower or upper tier DvL rewards (Ranos, leveling armor, speeder... other armor set, other speeder, Hexid) and you'd probably have a second and third package right there (you could have a mission where Ranos or Hexid requests your help).

I'd be all over those as a subscriber and I already have the non-mission content (its not like I spend my CCs on much beyond dyes and the occasional outfit unlock these days).

It should NOT be made available again.

Where do you draw the line? It would mean you would have to make EVERY unique item available again, and worse still it would have to be made available constantly, otherwise the same old requests will keep coming up.

PVP season rewards, other unique events, DvL, offers from gift cards - there are numerous pets etc, pre-order of expansions, cantina codes, other benefits that I can't think of, the list goes on.

I'm sorry others missed out on this, but it should not be made available. It was a one time offer back then and should remain so.

Ordinarily, i would tend to agree with you & your sentiment.

After all, why even have "one time only!" or "rare" or "exclusive!" if those terms are just gonna be invalidated? (thereby de-value'ing not only the items themselves, but also the players' efforts/time/work in the process ---I'm still annoyed that any player can simply spend a measily 1mil credits to get "VIP" access same as me on Fleet...should be 100mil ! :cool: , if at all)

BUT....in this particular case....i think an exception should indeed be made, since this HK-55 is not only utterly teased & tempted in the 'Chapters' listing (part of the storyline, for EVERYONE) but it's also extremely good & uniquely written CONTENT (as Eric Musco already mentioned and as, frankly, this game could use a bit more of quest-wise --- See macrobinoculars 'Shroud' questline, as another example of higher quality content/writing imo)

Couldn't there be a way to satisfy both parties here?

Perhaps grant a unique/exclusive 'skin' for the players who originally unlocked HK-55 (only they could claim it) but then allow the current subscribers (or loyal subsribers like me who have been here since early beta , but just happened to not be subbed during that original brief period-of-time cuz of RL busy) a chance to at least run the HK-55 chapter interlude quest and then have him as companion (but not have access to the new unique 'original skin' ) ?

Just a suggestion. :eek:

Edited by Nee-Elder

If it were made available again it should require the same 7 month continuous subscription that was needed to obtain it before (and that should not be retroactive, as the previous offering did not take into account prior subscription time).

I can certainly understand the desire to do this fairly, but something I'd like to draw attention to are the digital deluxe special edition items. Originally, it cost $20 to get those special in-game items, but within a few years the price was reduced to(and still remains) $5 instead. Unfair to those who got it before? Not at all. This is just the nature of business. The same may apply to the bonus chapter. It doesn't have to require the same exact amount of months subbed as before to still be reasonable.

This probably goes without saying, but offering it at a price around $105($15 to sub times the original 7 months needed) is simply not correct unless it includes 7 months of premium play as well. It should be noted that those who stayed subbed during those original months also got 7 months of premium play out of it as well as all the other sub rewards(HK companion, HK-inspired armor and weapons, etc.) from each individual month. The chapter was simply a bonus.

Personally, I think the best way to go about this is to either offer it at a reasonable price on the CM, or on the SWTOR site for real money. It just seems like the smoothest option compared to requiring a continuous sub again where some players who already have the chapter would complain they aren't getting anything from subbing in the new promotion. It could just be a separate, optional purchase unrelated to subbing.

Edited by Drenovade