EricMusco

Thanks for that, I appreciate it. I did, in fact, miss that. I guess I get a bit in panic mode the moment they start on about 'we're making group content.' It freaks me out. If they let us choose what we want/can do, that's better. :)

You are welcome. I know that is one of the reason I have been fussing at the way they are handling this. For me, not a problem (I have my boyfriend and a guild ) but I know people like you that solo and shouldn't feel like they need to group up.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So to clarify our design goal a bit more, we will still have [Heroic 2+] missions on Ossus. There will be just 1 [Heroic 4] Mission.

The plan is not to force anyone to play the [Heroic 4] Missions, it's to provide an option for people who want to play group content. There will still be soloable [Heroic 2+] Missions. The heroics are also not a part of the dailies/weekly's that give masterwork shards so playing the heroics is not needed to obtain the higher tiers of gear. There is a Weekly Heroic Mission that will require players to complete 3 Heroics in a week, but the players are free to choose whichever Heroics they want to complete. You can in fact complete the same Heroic Mission 3 times to complete the Weekly Heroic Mission.

Thanks

-Jackie

And I think with that everyone will be happy. Thank you for the info!

You want to compare Uprisings to heroics 4+ but heroics 4+ were far more popular than any Uprising. Problem with Uprigins is that they feel like half-baked flashpoints. You still group for them in the finder. H+4 feels different because it doesn't happen in an own instance but on the zone itself. And it's also often quicker. H+4 never "failed" just because less people did them after launch but simply because of the lacking rewards. This time they make those H+4 mandatory for the reward for the highest armor currency, thus giving the incentive to do those now.

Is a solo player can get the highest gear in the game much easier than someone who groups up and puts effort to make groups with people then guess what: The incentive to group will completely die off.

But once again, forums dramatizing and some people looking at things only from their perspectives and ONLY how it benefits them the most.

How were Heroic 4's more popular than Uprisings? Where are you getting that information? Personally I like Uprisings a lot but I still don't do them anymore because the rewards absolutely suck.

I actually would like Heroic 4's better if they did require 4 people and were added to group finder and gave decent rewards. The group quests for the macrobinocular and seeker droid stuff were actually really cool, but they just let those quests completely die off by not adding them to group finder or adding any incentive whatsoever to repeat the missions. I like the idea of relatively short missions (in comparison to flashpoints) that aren't particularly difficult combat-wise but do require coordination. Like the Colicoid FP (they let that one die too) and the last Shroud mission. They need to be on group finder and give a decent reward though.

I'm not sure a Heroic 4 where you just kill a bunch of mobs real quick is interesting group content. But I don't have a problem with it if it's not going to be required for gearing.

Very happy to hear about the group requirement for the heroic, for those that worry most solo players have been able to do it with a group of 2 + 2 companions so you don't really need 4 players. More group content is great, in the end this is a MMO, playing as a group should be encouraged more and I am very happy to see this first step.

How were Heroic 4's more popular than Uprisings? Where are you getting that information? Personally I like Uprisings a lot but I still don't do them anymore because the rewards absolutely suck.

I actually would like Heroic 4's better if they did require 4 people and were added to group finder and gave decent rewards. The group quests for the macrobinocular and seeker droid stuff were actually really cool, but they just let those quests completely die off by not adding them to group finder or adding any incentive whatsoever to repeat the missions. I like the idea of relatively short missions (in comparison to flashpoints) that aren't particularly difficult combat-wise but do require coordination. Like the Colicoid FP (they let that one die too) and the last Shroud mission. They need to be on group finder and give a decent reward though.

I'm not sure a Heroic 4 where you just kill a bunch of mobs real quick is interesting group content. But I don't have a problem with it if it's not going to be required for gearing.

I said it already, Uprisings feel like half baked flashpoints.It's not like they themselves are that terrible but they have that stigma of "low-effort-flashpoint" on them, something heroic 4+ don't have. That's simply it in my eyes. And that's why they aren't popular. Heroic 4+s however appear like little in-world side quests that involve a minute of grouping up. Hell, in most of my "Lfg" experiences nobody even said a word. It was just fun to quickly go into a zone, see other abilities from other players for a change and get out. There was no chance to fail at a boss but it was still decent enough that you have to watch out.

Macro and seeker droid take too long overall to get to the meat and the H+4 are at the end of the questlines right? Most don't have the time and nerve to go through all those quests before before reaching the H+4 missions. Though I agree that Bioware Austin was always weak in giving incentive and in providing cool rewards. With the introduction of decorations this improved somewhat.

Colloid is cool but the beginning section with the shooting takes some time, just as much as the puzzle afterwards. It#s time consuming and not everyone is ready for that.

So to clarify our design goal a bit more, we will still have [Heroic 2+] missions on Ossus. There will be just 1 [Heroic 4] Mission.

The plan is not to force anyone to play the [Heroic 4] Missions, it's to provide an option for people who want to play group content. There will still be soloable [Heroic 2+] Missions. The heroics are also not a part of the dailies/weekly's that give masterwork shards so playing the heroics is not needed to obtain the higher tiers of gear. There is a Weekly Heroic Mission that will require players to complete 3 Heroics in a week, but the players are free to choose whichever Heroics they want to complete. You can in fact complete the same Heroic Mission 3 times to complete the Weekly Heroic Mission.

Thanks

-Jackie

Not read much of this thread but must say removing the heroic H4 from the weekly does help. The issue on the PTS was that I had 252 fully augmented gear from the vender, Yes could do all but the heroic that was instanced. However none of my characters have 248 gear at the moment on the live servers. Most only have 234- 236 gear on my level 70's. So is this gear even near enough for new story?

My main issue is still crafting mats, by the time I even have anything near the gear needed 9.0 will be out nether mind 6.0. I am a story player, not much of a group play though have started some group activity. I just don't see the reason behind new story, that story players cannot do.

As you are increasing the gear to max 258, you may as well give us a level increase to 75. You know that if players go and get this gear now and sometime next year when 6.0 comes out most are not going to want to have to get level 75 gear so soon after this. unless you are not intending to ever have a level increase above 70.

(please note is was on my other account I used for PTS)

I'm seriously hoping that 252/258 gear max won't be required just to be able to do the Ossus story. My characters are all between 245-248 and it's going to be a long solo grind to get even one piece of gear for one character nevermind the other nine. If the story requires the new gear, or even the daily missions do, then that's going to be a problem and will go back to the incredibly unfriendly alt situation.

I'm seriously hoping that 252/258 gear max won't be required just to be able to do the Ossus story. My characters are all between 245-248 and it's going to be a long solo grind to get even one piece of gear for one character nevermind the other nine. If the story requires the new gear, or even the daily missions do, then that's going to be a problem and will go back to the incredibly unfriendly alt situation.

Lol, why would that kind of gear be required for the story content?

Thanks

-Jackie

Thank you so much for clarifying this Jackie! As a solo player, I gear up primarily through the WEEKLY daily area missions, and occasional heroics. But I started to burn out on them not too long ago, and have drastically cut my gear grind back because I just couldn't handle the boredom of them anymore. When I learned that Ossus would have a new daily area for me to go through and learn, it gave me back some of my interest for that part of the game. But I must admit, I need that carrot on the end of the stick to make it all worth while. If I would be unable to solo the weeklies on Ossus, I would never send my characters back there after completing the story. So thank you for putting my mind to rest on this score.

Lol, why would that kind of gear be required for the story content?

Story was not on PTS, however just going from A to B you encounter mobs that while could be done was hard and yes did get killed several times. This was with 252 fully augmented gear. Still it was a week or two ago and may have changed since then. Still if you have 234-236 with the odd 240+ Not sure this will be good enough gear even if it has been reduced difficulty since I was on test server. Some players may not even have that much rated gear. Remember as a few others have said you are not going to have this gear to begin with. Further more story players which a lot are solo players will be getting gear at a much-much-much reduced rate. They are not going to get those rare craft mats needed either. masterworks aside you still need other mats to.

Edited by TalleraLane

Is a solo player can get the highest gear in the game much easier than someone who groups up and puts effort to make groups with people then guess what: The incentive to group will completely die off.

What you don't seem able to understand is that for many solo only players, like myself, there is no incentive large enough that would make group content worth doing. That is why we are solo players. After I finished the class story on my 1st character, I tried every bit of group content this game offered that I could get a pop for and I hated all of it. It doesn't matter what you try to throw at me, I will not do group content again. If there were no solo content left in this game that I enjoyed, I would take my sub money somewhere else. For me, that is the end of it.

But once again, forums dramatizing and some people looking at things only from their perspectives and ONLY how it benefits them the most.

You may want to look at yourself here. The statement about applies as much to you as it does to anyone else who has engaged with you so far.

What you don't seem able to understand is that for many solo only players, like myself, there is no incentive large enough that would make group content worth doing. That is why we are solo players. After I finished the class story on my 1st character, I tried every bit of group content this game offered that I could get a pop for and I hated all of it. It doesn't matter what you try to throw at me, I will not do group content again. If there were no solo content left in this game that I enjoyed, I would take my sub money somewhere else. For me, that is the end of it.

You may want to look at yourself here. The statement about applies as much to you as it does to anyone else who has engaged with you so far.

I at least try to look at things from different perspectives. You are a solo player, you want solo stuff, that's all that seems to matter to you. I said already that solo players shouldn't be rewarded the same as group players. Grouping should still be motivated. It's totally cool to only play the same as a solo player. But for once there is some more push for group content after years of non-stop solo content and that's enough for you to throw the towel. Perhaps then it's better for you to take a break from the game.

One thing I would suggest though is to have the heroic 4 count as 2 heroic2 for the weekly.

menofhorror View Post

"Is a solo player can get the highest gear in the game much easier than someone who groups up and puts effort to make groups with people then guess what: The incentive to group will completely die off."

Really easier? I have just started doing group play (not all that much but a start) Every player without exception has tier IV CR. 240 or higher gear. As a primary solo player I don't have that. So please tell me how its easier? We get gear from command boxes, but so do you! along with gear from drops in some group play such as op's. OK, solo is not hard but you are getting just as many if not far more command boxes that I do. As such it's just as easy for you.

I have nothing against any other player who prefers group play, as what they do in game is totally up to them. What I do object to is the entitlement they seem to think they have. You don't pay more than I do, I just don't care what gear you have, just a shame you spend so much time worrying what other players have as though what gear they wear affect you in any way.

Edited by TalleraLane

Story was not on PTS, however just going from A to B you encounter mobs that while could be done was hard and yes did get killed several times. This was with 252 fully augmented gear. Still it was a week or two ago and may have changed since then. Still if you have 234-236 with the odd 240+ Not sure this will be good enough gear even if it has been reduced difficulty since I was on test server. Some players may not even have that much rated gear. Remember as a few others have said you are not going to have this gear to begin with. Further more story players which a lot are solo players will be getting gear at a much-much-much reduced rate. They are not going to get those rare craft mats needed either. masterworks aside you still need other mats two.

Exactly. If in order to do the dailies so I can start getting the 252 and then maybe 258 pieces, I need 252 gear for said dailies, then something's gonna give. Can't do the content to get the gear if the content is based on you having the gear already. I don't mind it being harder and not being able to face roll stuff but if all I end up doing is dying a lot then I'm going to attempt it on far less characters which will take getting the gear even longer.

I only have one character who is full 248. The rest are around 245-247 but most of them just have the bought 246 accessories which boost up their rating whilst not giving them the same stats as a piece earned elsewhere. If it's going to be incredibly un-alt friendly then I'll have less characters to run the dailies on which will only exacerbate how long it takes me to get 252 gear unless I somehow get incredibly lucky with it dropping from the command boxes.

Whilst I don't ~need~ 258, or maybe even 252 gear for the story right now, what happens when the next expansion or story drops and they base it on thinking people have this gear? Then that -will- stop me from doing the story. I have several alts I'd like to take through it and eventually get gear on, and it sounds like it's going to be unpleasant just to gear up one at this point.

Edited by Farferello

I have a question then. Heroic 2+ give you blue quality reputation tokens, will the heroic 4s give you purple? Doesn’t seem right that an H2 gives the same rewards as an H4. It would be like VM FP giving you the same rewards as running a MM FP.

I have a question then. Heroic 2+ give you blue quality reputation tokens, will the heroic 4s give you purple? Doesn’t seem right that an H2 gives the same rewards as an H4. It would be like VM FP giving you the same rewards as running a MM FP.

It won't be the same reward though will it. You seem to forget that you don't just get rep points. You will also get command points which are higher on H4 than H2. Credits will also be higher. Going on what BW has done in the past you will also get command points on top from terminals that give extra for grouping. So not really the exact same.

Don't get me wrong here I am just pointing this out, not complaining that group players get this. Also I expect that the H4 & H2 Ossus will also be added to some conquest weeks. H4 will give more conquest points than H2.

Edited by TalleraLane

Since you weren't a SWTOR developer when heroics were being created, you couldn't possibly know how they were "designed".

What you're doing is making a guess, and trying to pass it off as a fact.

And seeing has how practically every H4 in this game was quite doable for two players + two companions, I'm certain that your guess is resoundingly wrong.

Heroics were originally designated as multiplayer content. Within that class, there were H2s and H4s. If Heroics are multiplayer and H2s exist, then clearly that means H2s are for 2+2 groups, as nobody is going to leave their companion behind. So if an H2 is 2+2, then you're claiming a H4 is also 2+2? That makes no sense.

Now, if you, on your first character, was playing a Jedi Knight, had Kira as a companion, decked out in whatever green quest rewards you had gotten, grouped up with another Knight/Kira combo, and managed to clear H4 content without problems, congrats, you're certainly a better player than I was, but I don't think that's what it was balanced for.

I at least try to look at things from different perspectives.

Really? Because so far all I've seen you do is tell those who want there to be some solo content how they are wrong.

You are a solo player, you want solo stuff, that's all that seems to matter to you.

Definitely it's what is the most important to me, since it is what I enjoy, and I'd like to continue to enjoy the game. But it is not all that matters to me, no. It's just what is most important to me.

I said already that solo players shouldn't be rewarded the same as group players. Grouping should still be motivated. It's totally cool to only play the same as a solo player. But for once there is some more push for group content after years of non-stop solo content.

What got this whole discussion started was the suggestion that the Heroic +4 missions might be a requirement to complete the WEEKLY missions on Ossus. That is not an increased reward for group players, that is completely locking solo players out of that portion of the content. The only way to get any rewards through the new daily area at all would be to group. If you are really trying to see this from our perspective, then think about that for a little while. If you do not enjoy grouping (which we don't), why on earth would we be happy about something like that?

Happily, we have now been told that this is not the case, so it is not an issue. You will have your group content to enjoy with others who share your viewpoint, and we will have our solo content that we can enjoy alone.

Perhaps then it's better for you to take a break from the game.

Why on earth would I do that? As I said before, when there is no more solo content that I enjoy, I will quit. As it is, there is still plenty that I enjoy doing in the game.

What I don't really like is having other people tell me my play style is wrong, and that I need to change what I do to better fit there image of what the game should be.

It won't be the same reward though will it. You seem to forget that you don't just get rep points. You will also get command points which are higher on H4 than H2. Credits will also be higher. Going on what BW has done in the past you will also get command points on top from terminals that give extra for grouping. So not really the exact same.

Don't get me wrong here I am just pointing this out, not complaining that group players get this. Also I expect that the H4 & H2 Ossus will also be added to some conquest weeks. H4 will give more conquest points than H2.

I do know that and have not forgotten. But the goal here is the gear grind. For me personally credits, command points, and conquest points don’t matter. I’m specifically asking if the H4 will drop a purple rep.

Heroics were originally designated as multiplayer content. Within that class, there were H2s and H4s. If Heroics are multiplayer and H2s exist, then clearly that means H2s are for 2+2 groups, as nobody is going to leave their companion behind. So if an H2 is 2+2, then you're claiming a H4 is also 2+2? That makes no sense.

Now, if you, on your first character, was playing a Jedi Knight, had Kira as a companion, decked out in whatever green quest rewards you had gotten, grouped up with another Knight/Kira combo, and managed to clear H4 content without problems, congrats, you're certainly a better player than I was, but I don't think that's what it was balanced for.

Pretty much this. I can solo VM lost island and 2 man HM lost island but it doesn’t mean that was the design for it. Heck I recently saw a vid where 2 guys 2 manned Tyth in the operation. Pretty sure it wasn’t designed that way either. But if you are prepared and skilled enough, you can do it.

You want to compare Uprisings to heroics 4+ but heroics 4+ were far more popular than any Uprising. Problem with Uprigins is that they feel like half-baked flashpoints. You still group for them in the finder. H+4 feels different because it doesn't happen in an own instance but on the zone itself. And it's also often quicker. H+4 never "failed" just because less people did them after launch but simply because of the lacking rewards. This time they make those H+4 mandatory for the reward for the highest armor currency, thus giving the incentive to do those now.

I guess I'm not understanding the significant difference between the "feels" of a H4 and instance if it's done correctly. My original suggestion was to set it up like the CZ-198 stuff. Is there really that much of a different "feel" between running into the purple instance wall there and the green instance wall of a Heroic area? I guess there's an additional loading screen in the former case, but I just can't see that being much more of a difference.

And as I understood the later Dev post, there's not actually any gain in the armor tokens for doing the H4, you hit your target just as well by doing the solo heroics. And while there might be some edge cases where full guild groups can clear the H4 faster than a solo mission, I suspect for most of us, solo is probably going to be faster than getting a group together, even if it's only a couple minutes of standing around getting organized. Maybe it give a better rep token, maybe it's slightly better CXP, but I just can't see that being a big factor for any length of time.

Actually I do. Don't judge my personality based on a few forum posts. It's easy to appear tough and confident on the internet.

And don't get me wrong. I totally understand your complaint and point. I do partly agree with you but I also think that grouping up should still be favoured in comparison to going full solo. Full solo players shouldn't be rewarded just as much as group players because then the incentive to group up will go completely down the drain.

So I understand your point and I am also inclinded to agree that a solution would be to perhaps have the H+4 be not part of the weekly questline but I overall say, let's have it be H+4 at patch release and then see how many actually do it to how many don't and then react to it accordingly.

My apologies. It didn't come across that way to me, you seem quite willing and confident to join groups, whereas I'd rather cut pieces off my own ears than do group stuff. Thanks for understanding.

But, you also make assumptions about me, because you don't know me either. I would never and have never demanded, asked for or wanted equal rewards to what a group would get. I have always maintained that as a solo-er I'm fine with a decreased reward. I would just like to be able to do the activity. Anyone here who knows me and has read my posts over the years can back me up on that. I've never demanded equal rewards as group people. It's always been my belief that if they can coordinate and do the group things, they should definitely get top rewards for their ability to do so.

I just want to do the thing, for something to do. I don't need a lot of fancy rewards for it. :)

Edited by Lunafox

My apologies. It didn't come across that way to me, you seem quite willing and confident to join groups, whereas I'd rather cut pieces off my own ears than do group stuff. Thanks for understanding.

But, you also make assumptions about me, because you don't know me either. I would never and have never demanded, asked for or wanted equal rewards to what a group would get. I have always maintained that as a solo-er I'm fine with a decreased reward. I would just like to be able to do the activity. Anyone here who knows me and has read my posts over the years can back me up on that. I've never demanded equal rewards as group people. It's always been my belief that if they can coordinate and do the group things, they should definitely get top rewards for their ability to do so.

I just want to do the thing, for something to do. I don't need a lot of fancy rewards for it. :)

I’m a little confused. The original assumption was that the H4 were required to get the gear. No solo content would require this gear to complete so you were never required to do content in the first place. Also they have said time and time again that nothing is being scaled to the new gear and everything is going to be scaled to 248 (maybe with 236 augs / also not counting pvp bolster here). The new gear purpose (as they said) was to give a slight edge to the extreme hard core group content such as MM operations. From their own mouth nothing should be unachievable with 248, especially solo content.

Edited by Ld-Siris

I’m a little confused. The original assumption was that the H4 were required to get the gear. No solo content would require this gear to complete so you were never required to do content in the first place. Also they have said time and time again that nothing is being scaled to the new gear and everything is going to be scaled to 248 (maybe with 236 augs / also not counting pvp bolster here). The new gear purpose (as they said) was to give a slight edge to the extreme hard core group content such as MM operations. From their own mouth nothing should be unachievable with 248, especially solo content.

I can't speak for Luna, but for me the rewards obtained from doing the WEEKLY missions are what makes the daily area's enjoyable. No, I don't need them to do the content, but they are the carrot that gives me a reason to keep going back. My reward for doing the story content is the story, my reward for doing the dailies and heroics is being able to see my gear level go up on that character. Even if it is only slowly increasing, it is still increasing.

It is also a new area to run through, and that is something I desperately would like to see. So aside from the rewards, just being able to go in and do it will be fun, at least the first couple of times.

I don't think that's what it was balanced for.

I would like to draw your attention to a recent dev post by the person responsible for the new Heroic content coming in 5.10:

These are Heroics that will be balanced for 4 players or 2 players and 2 companions. [Heroic 4] Missions are not designed to be soloed.

It cannot get any clearer than that.

And if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. What differentiates Flashpoints from Heroics are mechanics. While a vastly overgeared player may be able to ignore mechanics, when done at level and without overgearing, one has to move out of bad, interrupt enemies, cleanse things, pick up adds, face the boss away, and (usually) beat some kind of enrage timer.

A Heroic on the other hand has a) A lot of mobs that are b) powerful. And that's about it. Very little in the way of mechanics.

Now you're just being silly.

Had I, on my first character, playing a Jedi knight, decked out into whatever green quest rewards I had gotten, joined a group of 3 other players in the same boat and tried a flashpoint, we would have gotten completely demolished. Just because a flashpoint is tuned for 4 players doesn't mean one doesn't have to show up with decent gear and skill.

It's the same for H4s.

Edited by Khevar

Ah no don't worry, it's just so easy to get heated up on the internet lol, sorry. Internet is such a blessing and a curse.

True, I made assumptions about you as well and that's on me, sorry for that, that was my mistake.

But since Jackie said that the h+4 is not part of the weekly I think it's good for everyone right? The H+4 will give blue rep token which will make reputation grind faster but isn't part of the weekly for the shard as far as I understand.

I thank you for understanding. :)

Really? Because so far all I've seen you do is tell those who want there to be some solo content how they are wrong.

Definitely it's what is the most important to me, since it is what I enjoy, and I'd like to continue to enjoy the game. But it is not all that matters to me, no. It's just what is most important to me.

What got this whole discussion started was the suggestion that the Heroic +4 missions might be a requirement to complete the WEEKLY missions on Ossus. That is not an increased reward for group players, that is completely locking solo players out of that portion of the content. The only way to get any rewards through the new daily area at all would be to group. If you are really trying to see this from our perspective, then think about that for a little while. If you do not enjoy grouping (which we don't), why on earth would we be happy about something like that?

Happily, we have now been told that this is not the case, so it is not an issue. You will have your group content to enjoy with others who share your viewpoint, and we will have our solo content that we can enjoy alone.

Why on earth would I do that? As I said before, when there is no more solo content that I enjoy, I will quit. As it is, there is still plenty that I enjoy doing in the game.

What I don't really like is having other people tell me my play style is wrong, and that I need to change what I do to better fit there image of what the game should be.

I didn't say you are wrong just because I disagree with your sentiment. Hell, I could be wrong, that's why we are talking right? I can only say what I believe but that doesn't mean I am right.

I was just saying that solo players shouldn't be rewarded as highly as people who do challenging group stuff. You came across to me like you didn't care why an MMO shouldn't be that afraid to give gentle pushes towards casual group stuff.

I suggested a break because it appeared like this one 4+ heroic was enough to make you basically skip everything of Ossus, because of one h4. That made it appear to me like you were in a strained relationship with the game.

I also said before that not having the h4 as part of the weekly for the shard would be the best thing. But now thankfully we now that this is now the case.

Edited by menofhorror