Why is there no kill option for Lana?

Avashnea

The reason I dislike Lana (that is not the same as wanting her dead) is because i don't think she's a real friend to any of my outlanders, especially a light sided one. She does a ton of 'nice' things, but I never get the feeling that she's doing any of them because she cares about the character. Rather, It's mainly to further her own goals or wants, and she sees the outlander as the best vessel for what she wants to happens. She feels kind of manipulative, and sometimes I reach a point where I'd like to make my own choices. I think it all boils together with the companion/questgiver mix. If Satele or Baras or Garza was on your ship, both telling you what to do (as a questgiver) and also requiring there presence as a companion, it would be easily annoying. And I feel like Lana is that in Kotfe onward. I liked her more in Sor because her and Theron were equal.

There are a few more meta reason such as I don't like her looks (highly subjective and not dealbreaking for me in any way, a customization would be welcome) and I just kind of think she's pushed on us and she has the air of a special snowflake (oh look a blond female sith who can be romanced by both genders and has a relatively reasonable view of the world (for a sith) She's so different! Let's market her as much as we can!)

But only the fact I think she is untrustworthy/and or manipulative, and I easily think if the outlander weren't as powerful and influential, she'd drop us like a hot potato and move on, is a reason why my characters dislike her.

Amen!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I dislike Lana (that is not the same as wanting her dead) is because i don't think she's a real friend to any of my outlanders, especially a light sided one. She does a ton of 'nice' things, but I never get the feeling that she's doing any of them because she cares about the character. Rather, It's mainly to further her own goals or wants, and she sees the outlander as the best vessel for what she wants to happens. She feels kind of manipulative, and sometimes I reach a point where I'd like to make my own choices. I think it all boils together with the companion/questgiver mix. If Satele or Baras or Garza was on your ship, both telling you what to do (as a questgiver) and also requiring there presence as a companion, it would be easily annoying. And I feel like Lana is that in Kotfe onward. I liked her more in Sor because her and Theron were equal.

There are a few more meta reason such as I don't like her looks (highly subjective and not dealbreaking for me in any way, a customization would be welcome) and I just kind of think she's pushed on us and she has the air of a special snowflake (oh look a blond female sith who can be romanced by both genders and has a relatively reasonable view of the world (for a sith) She's so different! Let's market her as much as we can!)

But only the fact I think she is untrustworthy/and or manipulative, and I easily think if the outlander weren't as powerful and influential, she'd drop us like a hot potato and move on, is a reason why my characters dislike her.

And I think the point many of us in this thread are making is...

Go for it! Just understand we interpret it differently.

Since it is solo RP / headcanon in our own heads -- it doesn't really matter.

Dasty

TBH I think there's possibly a bit of homophobia behind it - NOT the people who are just uncomfortable with the scene, but the ones insisting she's some sort of predator. Lana's bisexual so if she's in the room of a woman and is nice to people who are mean to her, she obviously wants them, it seems. :rolleyes: Even though she never once makes a statement that is in any way suggestive or hits on the PC.

When it's been pointed out that most of the other companions behave the same way (as mentioned you can literally throw Quinn against a wall and he still bows and scrapes just as much, and Theron is just as nice in KOTFE if you're rude to him in SoR) it's ignored.

I think there's a lot of homophobia behind it. How anyone can think Lana is creepy or some sort of predator, while justifying Doc's constant and blatant sexual harassment, leads me to think that homophobia is the main reason for such inconsistency.

I think there's a lot of homophobia behind it. How anyone can think Lana is creepy or some sort of predator, while justifying Doc's constant and blatant sexual harassment, leads me to think that homophobia is the main reason for such inconsistency.

Let's see, my JK has spent all her time with Doc constantly rejecting him in the least pleasant way possible, and if he stepted into her room while she was asleep he'd have been up for a nice kick out of the ship while flying. She threatened to feed him to Collicoids and to have him drink his food instead of eating it.

So it it still homophobic that she'd find it creepy from Lana as well ?

Again, it's not the fact that it's Lana doing it the problem, it's the fact that it's a character who is not my character's lover and who should not be allowed such privacy with my character that is bothering me.

It would actually bother me even more from a character who is not even a close friend to my JK, like Koth or any other male character present on the Gravestone at that time (except Theron who is her lover), they'd all have been up to a nice kick in their manly parts.

If i'm playing my JK, she's with Theron who is on the ship, he could very well be the one watching her sleep, if i'm playing my trooper, she's with Aric, who's also on the ship, my BH, she's with Torian who is also on the ship.

My other characters were all either single or without any news from their lovers, but would they be okay with someone watching them sleep, i don't think so.

I played that scene with a female SW who was with Lana at that time, and it did not creep me out on that character, it was prety sweet that her lover was all worried about her well being, but for this particular character it was justified that she was the one being there with her, for my other characters not romancing her, not so much.

Edited by Goreshaga

Let's see, my JK has spent all her time with Doc constantly rejecting him in the least pleasant way possible, and if he stepted into her room while she was asleep he'd have been up for a nice kick out of the ship while flying. She threatened to feed him to Collicoids and to have him drink his food instead of eating it.

I think I tried to say that I wasn't implying that people who found the scene uncomfortable were doing so out of homophobia. That's you - okay, the scene makes you feel uncomfortable and you're totally entitled to feel that way.

But the people who are frothing at the mouth insisting she's some sort of inappropriate predator and secretly wants the Commander, that's a bit different and I do think it's coming from a bad place.

And I do wonder, for those who think Doc's lines are "harmless" and "charming" and that nobody has a right to feel uncomfortable about them, if they'd feel the same way if Doc's lines were delivered verbatim by Kira.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Again, it's not the fact that it's Lana doing it the problem, it's the fact that it's a character who is not my character's lover and who should not be allowed such privacy with my character that is bothering me.

It would actually bother me even more from a character who is not even a close friend to my JK, like Koth or any other male character present on the Gravestone at that time (except Theron who is her lover), they'd all have been up to a nice kick in their manly parts.

If i'm playing my JK, she's with Theron who is on the ship, he could very well be the one watching her sleep, if i'm playing my trooper, she's with Aric, who's also on the ship, my BH, she's with Torian who is also on the ship.

My other characters were all either single or without any news from their lovers, but would they be okay with someone watching them sleep, i don't think so.

I played that scene with a female SW who was with Lana at that time, and it did not creep me out on that character, it was prety sweet that her lover was all worried about her well being, but for this particular character it was justified that she was the one being there with her, for my other characters not romancing her, not so much.

You misunderstood what I said. I was referring to people who JUSTIFY Doc's behaviour while condemning Lana. If you are rejecting Doc, then I wasn't talking about you.

Edited by Inspirals

I think I tried to say that I wasn't implying that people who found the scene uncomfortable were doing so out of homophobia. That's you - okay, the scene makes you feel uncomfortable and you're totally entitled to feel that way.

But the people who are frothing at the mouth insisting she's some sort of inappropriate predator and secretly wants the Commander, that's a bit different and I do think it's coming from a bad place.

And I do wonder, for those who think Doc's lines are "harmless" and "charming" and that nobody has a right to feel uncomfortable about them, if they'd feel the same way if Doc's lines were delivered verbatim by Kira.

Agree with that totally. I've been thinking the same thing for days now.

I don't know if it's homophobia or not. I can't just accuse people of things when I don't know what's going on in their minds. I just want this ridiculousness crap talking to stop.

Eh, don't worry, come Tuesday things will change. While I'm sure there will still be people yelling because Lana might happen to say two words to their character, there will be a whole new cast of characters for people to lobby for kill options on. By Wednesday morning I am quite sure there will be "why do I have to have this companion/NPC" and "oh noes, I want to kill this companion" complaints and threadsabout the newbies. One could probably make a drinking game out of it.

Actually, after all of this, drinking might not be a bad idea.

I don't know if it's homophobia or not. I can't just accuse people of things when I don't know what's going on in their minds. I just want this ridiculousness crap talking to stop.

Seriously, just stop reading this thread if it's upsetting you. That's all you can do when you've had enough and the debate still rages; we aren't all going to agree when it's time to quit. Nothing feels better than walking away when you're ready.

Eh, don't worry, come Tuesday things will change. While I'm sure there will still be people yelling because Lana might happen to say two words to their character, there will be a whole new cast of characters for people to lobby for kill options on. By Wednesday morning I am quite sure there will be "why do I have to have this companion/NPC" and "oh noes, I want to kill this companion" complaints and threadsabout the newbies. One could probably make a drinking game out of it.

Actually, after all of this, drinking might not be a bad idea.

Ha ha ha, how right you are!

I think I tried to say that I wasn't implying that people who found the scene uncomfortable were doing so out of homophobia. That's you.

Yep, i know, that's why i did not respond to your comment, but the comment i quoted ^^

I really don't think Lana has anything for the Commander or at the very least would clearly not show it unless she was clearly invited to do so. Same goes for Theron actually, he'd never move on the Commander without permission. Koth too (the little flirting on Asylum with him is pretty funny, with HK commenting on it, really sad that this romance led nowhere so far, he'd have been a nice match for a smuggler).

You misunderstood what I said. I was referring to people who JUSTIFY Doc's behaviour while condemning Lana. If you are rejecting Doc, then I wasn't talking about you.

Ok, it's alright then ^^

That being said, i don't think there were many people calling Lana creepy but being fine with Doc.

Seriously, just stop reading this thread if it's upsetting you. That's all you can do when you've had enough and the debate still rages; we aren't all going to agree when it's time to quit. Nothing feels better than walking away when you're ready.

And you're telling me this because I'm responding to something someone else said?

Edited by Eshvara

Not at all, I was just offering friendly advice as you sounded so upset. We've all been there. No need to be so defensive, debate away as long as you want.

I don't understand what's defensive about that. But alright. Next to Adornedblue, you seem to confuse me the most.

That aside, someone said they think it's homophobia, I responded with I don't think I should accuse people of homophobia when I don't know what's in their minds.

Somehow to you that translates as me being upset?

Edited by Eshvara

Yep, i know, that's why i did not respond to your comment, but the comment i quoted ^^

I really don't think Lana has anything for the Commander or at the very least would clearly not show it unless she was clearly invited to do so. Same goes for Theron actually, he'd never move on the Commander without permission. Koth too (the little flirting on Asylum with him is pretty funny, with HK commenting on it, really sad that this romance led nowhere so far, he'd have been a nice match for a smuggler).

Ah, got it. Just wanted to clarify because I do respect you and your opinions and like talking with you, so I wanted to make sure there were not any hard feelings there.

Yeah, none of the KOTFE Three will make a move on a PC unless they're invited, ever. One of the things I appreciate about KOTFE is that it is possible to be nice to all of them without flirting with them or activating the wrong flags, too. In the vanilla game those conversations with the 'flirt/flirt/be as rude as you can be' options were awful and I'm glad they changed that.

I don't know about Theron, but in SoR the flirts and relationship with Lana move very slowly. When she even hugs the PC it's a big deal. One of the Revanite sergeants remarks that the PC is closer to Lana than anyone else has been, and if you're romancing her, she says the same thing at the end of Yavin 4. So you get the feeling she does not often let anyone else into her world or her heart.

I don't understand what's defensive about that. But alright. Next to Adornedblue, you seem to confuse me the most.

That aside, someone said they think it's homophobia, I responded with I don't think I should accuse people of homophobia when I don't know what's in their minds.

Somehow to you that translates as me being upset?

Well, you used strong language, but if I'm wrong so be it. However, you've called people who deeply dislike Doc and Arcann full of "irrational stupidity," remember? We don't know what's in those people's minds, either (and I'm sure they don't appreciate being told they are full of "irrational stupidity" as much as people don't like being told they might sound homophobic). Everyone on this board has their own reasons for what they like/don't like, some good, some not so good. As we debate these things, conjecture, positing possibilities, discussing those possibilities...that's all we have. I'm sorry I confuse you, but to be frank, you confuse me just as much. I guess we view the world through a different lens. It happens, life goes on.

I don't want to see Lana *Dead. I do think she's *Over attached and I do remember her saying to my Sentinel in a scene that seemed to lead up to a *Relationship Talking about Revan and then now I brushed it off (For which I did sort of feel sorry for her) she replied "Oh, I thought you......". I have always said I thought she was using the PC like a Tool to do the one thing she wanted, Defeat Zakuul so she could *Return to the Empire/ Sith, yes a tool. But.. that is still not a Reason to Kill Lana especially considering everything she's done. Creepy, Manipulative, Assuming yes (All those in the wrong context), but not a reason to kill/ deny every player that companion (Bricking them away).

I think considering her BioWare Importance the best future would be infact moving *Back to Drommand Kaas to resume her Intelligence position and as a Recurring character possibly meeting with the PC from time to time and maybe ending those scenes with "I remember one time we......" :). Let Lana move on and succeed, let the PC move on and find new characters with new adventures and everybody wins :).

Ah, got it. Just wanted to clarify because I do respect you and your opinions and like talking with you, so I wanted to make sure there were not any hard feelings there.

Yeah, none of the KOTFE Three will make a move on a PC unless they're invited, ever. One of the things I appreciate about KOTFE is that it is possible to be nice to all of them without flirting with them or activating the wrong flags, too. In the vanilla game those conversations with the 'flirt/flirt/be as rude as you can be' options were awful and I'm glad they changed that.

I don't know about Theron, but in SoR the flirts and relationship with Lana move very slowly. When she even hugs the PC it's a big deal. One of the Revanite sergeants remarks that the PC is closer to Lana than anyone else has been, and if you're romancing her, she says the same thing at the end of Yavin 4. So you get the feeling she does not often let anyone else into her world or her heart.

What you say about Lana is so true. My other half romanced her and thought the romance moved at a glacial pace. :p

I do respect you and your opinions as well, and don't worry, no hard feelings here ;)

I liked it too. I think the worst for me in the vanilla was my JC and Nadia. He's very serious about the Jedi Code, and he takes really seriously his role as her mentor, he'd never ever have made any move on her. He was just trying to be nice and somehow comfort her after she lost her father, but i ended up at some point with 3 [flirt] options only without any way out of it, because all the options leading to it that were not [flirt] seemed really rude, especially to someone who was grieving the loss of her father who seemed to be her only parent at that time. Now replaying that character, i'll have to be rude, which is completely not how that character is. He's probably the nicest man you'd find in the galaxy.

It's been a very long time since i did the romance with Lana during SoR so i don't remeber everything, but I think it's a little bit faster with Theron, well more precisely it goes a bit further if you're a pub character. You have a first kiss on Rishi, then a second one on Yavin just before a fade to black. But there's a bit of teasing if you take all the flirt options, but nothing really before Rishi. I don't remember exactly how it plays out with an imp character though, i think there's the first kiss on Rishi, and then only a second kiss but nothing more on Yavin.

Edited by Goreshaga

Ok, it's alright then ^^

That being said, i don't think there were many people calling Lana creepy but being fine with Doc.

It's been implied here and in other threads. Doc has become a new weapon to throw in the face of people who stated previously they are uncomfortable with his repeated "flirting" even after being "rejected" several times. It's the fault of the person who's uncomfortable rather than the fault of his character, the argument seems to be. He'll get brought up in threads that have nothing to do with him. Ashara was that way for a long time--let's bring up how much we violently hate this companion inside a companion thread with nothing to do with her and no one actually brought her up except the person frothing at the mouth angry that they can't disembowel her with a spoon.

Yes, I've romanced her as a male and like her a lot, but it could be frustrating getting her to open up and talk about anything other than work, a very slow burn romance indeed. In fact, you could say she's the very opposite of creepy/predatory, a very likeable character.

What you say about Lana is so true. My other half romanced her and thought the romance moved at a glacial pace. :p

It did indeed. :o I liked that they did that. Instead of jumping right in, she and the PC both were taking time to try to figure the other out, and weren't sure how the other felt, and that rung authentic to me. There are a lot of valid jokes out there about how F/F - oriented ladies can sometimes be really awkward and take a thousand years to realize someone likes them and would reciprocate their feelings (if you've seen the "me gay too" scene from One Day at a Time, that nails it). While I can't speak for anyone else, for me? Yep. Totally true. :p

Speaking from a F/F perspective (which admittedly is different from a M/F one), it felt like the writer really got it. Form a M/F standpoint I think it still works because one could also interpret Lana as being really closed off in general and not wanting to let people into her world.

Indeed. I mean to hate a character so much to start making up things so you can hate it even more? What is even the point? Reminds me of the stupid people calling Arcann Hitler or Doc a sexual assaulter as well.

I'm just astounded by the amount of irrational stupidity. I can't even.

That's a very insulting post. Someone is "irrationally stupid" simply because they don't agree with you? That's a very high-and-mighty attitude you have there, maybe you should take your own advice and take a break, a nice cup of tea perhaps.