Why is there no kill option for Lana?

Avashnea

IMHO that is where the edgelord description does fit. It stops being about killing and ejecting characters within the context of a reasonable story and becomes "I hate so and so and I want them dead because death stabby lightsaber death yay!"

They're not going to be the focus and they'll both probably be lucky to have five lines in each patch. If they do start writing more for the romances and do cut scenes with that, it's only going to be for the people who romanced those companions so they've also got nothing to worry about now.

I'm not really a fan of putting labels on people because of their behaviour, when it comes to doing in game stuff or choices, so I try not to! I understand where you're coming from though.

And yeah, if there's extra, only those involved romantically will probably get it.

Edited by Eshvara

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean more to say, what's the point in putting in the effort just to kill off a character because people want to? Her story seems.to be over in terms.of being a main character. I just don't get it, really.

Let's hope you are right and there will be no more "mandatory use Lana as your companion" chapters. Let's also hope you are right about her being over in terms of being a main character. Please don't get me wrong, but I am, as many others, starved for new content.

I'm not really a fan of putting labels on people because of their behaviour, when it comes to doing in game stuff or choices, so I try not to! I understand where you're coming from though.

And yeah, if there's extra, only those involved romantically will probably get it.

Yeah, it's probably best not to. When faced with people who want every companion to die for lulz it gets tough to not do that sometimes, though.

It would be nice if they focused on making small cut scenes for all the romances, so people could get to spend time with the companions they want.

At the end of the day I don't think they're ever going to make everyone happy. Whatever companion or NPC they choose as the quest giver or give center stage to, there's going to be a player who doesn't like it and another player who does.

Yeah, it's probably best not to. When faced with people who want every companion to die for lulz it gets tough to not do that sometimes, though.

It would be nice if they focused on making small cut scenes for all the romances, so people could get to spend time with the companions they want.

At the end of the day I don't think they're ever going to make everyone happy. Whatever companion or NPC they choose as the quest giver or give center stage to, there's going to be a player who doesn't like it and another player who does.

I understand, it's not like I don't feel like saying certain things when I see people talking about characters!! But ehh, I guess my restraining bolt is in place atm! ~_^

I agree on the focus for small cutscenes, I'd really like that! But right now, I'll take whatever I can get I suppose!

One thing though, I just want the story to advance, and not go back because some people can't deal with missing out on not that relevant stuff.

Edited by Eshvara

Why only for romances? There are more than romantic relationships in this game. Not going to mention (again) my long lost favorite comp and the reasons for liking him so much. Still, it would be nice to have a few more cutscenes & dialogues with him ( if he will ever be returned, of course).

Why only for romances? There are more than romantic relationships in this game. Not going to mention (again) my long lost favorite comp and the reasons for liking him so much. Still, it would be nice to have a few more cutscenes & dialogues with him ( if he will ever be returned, of course).

I agree, there's way more than romance in the game, and there are non-romantic companions I'd love to be able to talk to again as well.

But with so many companions and the fact that they haven't been able to make a lot of content overall, I think that getting more with the LIs is a more likely case.

My observation on companion killing is that there HAS to be some limit on it or you might not even have enough comps left to even do a full spread of crew skills. Heck, that’s theoretically possible now.

We’ve heard that starting up 5.10 is going to shut down the Alliance Alerts when you start it. It will thus be possible, if you take every possible kill option and, because you’re rushing through the story, skip every Alliance Alert... and end up with just SIX companions (while up to 8 can be deployed for crew skills); Lana, T7-01, Kalyio or Jorgan, Gault, Vette or Torian and Raina Temple.

My sorceress has killed a few companions but she still has an over abundance of companions, probably because I do the alerts and the star fortress heroics too so if someone doesn't have enough companions for crew skills it is their fault as I have killed some and still have more than enough to do crew skills.

Edited by casirabit

For those who dislike Lana so much, do you want them to spend resources on some kind of plot that would make her go villain and betray you just so you can kill her?

Or do you rather her being alive for however long and just have minimal screen time?

So long as she's not the first face my characters see upon waking up everytime, i'me perfectly fine with her staying by my side with a bit less screentime.

Pierce is an insubordinate bully. The way he treats his superior officers should get him booted out of the army and the way he treated his female co-worker makes me want to boot him out of an airlock :mad: I'm sorry, but coercing someone into having sex against their will for your benefit is NOT OK!

She was perfectly fine with doing that for her own benefit though.

I got along with Pierce on that one with my first SW, considering that if she was ok with doing that to gain favors for herself, she could do it again to help the Empire.

I did not agree with him on the following SW though, because well, she was a bit more sympathetic, and had slighly different moral values than the first one.

I'd really love that too.

For those who dislike Lana so much, do you want them to spend resources on some kind of plot that would make her go villain and betray you just so you can kill her?

Or do you rather her being alive for however long and just have minimal screen time?

I don' t hate Lana, (she just doesn't work with my light side characters p) so having less NO scenes with her would be my choice and giving us the choice who we tell if we are playing saboteur. I would prefer to choose the person I would tell and really My Jedi would never tell Lana.

So long as she's not the first face my characters see upon waking up everytime, i'me perfectly fine with her staying by my side with a bit less screentime.

She was perfectly fine with doing that for her own benefit though.

I got along with Pierce on that one with my first SW, considering that if she was ok with doing that to gain favors for herself, she could do it again to help the Empire.

I did not agree with him on the following SW though, because well, she was a bit more sympathetic, and had slighly different moral values than the first one.

I'd really love that too.

Hah! The waking up part was a bit odd.. xD

I mean more to say, what's the point in putting in the effort just to kill off a character because people want to? Her story seems.to be over in terms.of being a main character. I just don't get it, really.

S kill her off for the sake of just killing her off?

Same happened to Torian ( or Vette), they were killed off for the sake of having them killed.

Yeah they could have done a lot better with that moment. I'm not sure what they were trying to do with that scene. Maybe make us hate Vaylin? Had the party split up or paired up with the various Alliance Alert companions you pass before that cutscene then we should have been given the option to save both Torian and Vette.

Yeah they could have done a lot better with that moment. I'm not sure what they were trying to do with that scene. Maybe make us hate Vaylin? Had the party split up or paired up with the various Alliance Alert companions you pass before that cutscene then we should have been given the option to save both Torian and Vette.

IMHO it was just there for gratuitous shock value, and to get the player hyped up before the Vaylin fight.

I would have loved to see them both saved :

Torian - by Valk & Jos Beroya ( if the player goes to save Vette).

Vette - saved by her sister's boyfriend ( the old Moff dude) if the player goes to save Torian.

Regarding Vaylin, I cannot hate her, after all she was imprisoned and tortured, not really her fault for becoming a monster.

Agreed, it was so poorly done and made no sense. My guess is that they wanted an excuse to get rid of more characters and thus have to write fewer. Logically we should have been able to choose to go after Vette or Torian alone and have the companions who were with us go after the other.

Would have been nice if your LI walked in and made a comment about it!

: D

If you're not with Lana of course!

Yeah that would have been great, or if our character could choose to say something about how creepy she was being but she's a writer's pet so they didn't see anything wrong with her creeping on you while you slept. Aren't you in love with Lana like they are? You're supposed to be!

Remember in Dragon Age: Origins where you could go to the optional companions and just choose the dialogue option that was basically "it's not working out, I want you to leave"? That's all I ask. They could do their beloved 2 minute cutscene, hell I don't even care if I just select an option from a console with no scene or dialogue as long as I never have to see or hear her again.

IMHO it was just there for gratuitous shock value, and to get the player hyped up before the Vaylin fight.

Well the character I was on at the time was a LS Knight (I think), I saved a Dread Master, I saved the Sith guy on Tatooine, I tried to redeem what I thought was the Emperor and I saved Arcann, then when I get to the Vaylin fight the LS option I get is "You're beyond redemption." I'm not sure what they were going for during that scene but that's not how my Knight would have reacted to that, even if she had killed Torian or Vette.

Well the character I was on at the time was a LS Knight (I think), I saved a Dread Master, I saved the Sith guy on Tatooine, I tried to redeem what I thought was the Emperor and I saved Arcann, then when I get to the Vaylin fight the LS option I get is "You're beyond redemption." I'm not sure what they were going for during that scene but that's not how my Knight would have reacted to that, even if she had killed Torian or Vette.

I know it's been discussed at length elsewhere but suffice to say, IMHO the way they handled Vaylin was far from perfect. I'm not sure why they went to the trouble of building some sympathy for her with the Nathema chapter when it didn't lead anywhere.

If you play an Imperial Agent, when you're told about Vaylin's conditioning, you can say something like, "I had that happen to me and I'd never wish it on anyone." And then your Agent turns around and uses Vaylin's conditioning word in front of everyone at the party. My Agent (and most of my other characters) never would have done that either but they are not given a choice to refuse.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

On the point of the thread: I'm not going to answer the question, exactly, I just wanted to comment. I'm torn on the concept. I think she should have gotten exactly the same treatment as Koth and Theron, and both of them had one. I have suspicions on why they didn't I'm not going to share here. I'm sure someone has said something similar to what I would have said.

On the other hand, I don't really want them the option if it's going to keep people who want her around from having more story with her. That seems to be what most of the characters you can kill have so far come to. I hope they prove me wrong (well, more, since some *cough*Arcann*cough do have a bit) and that they get more. But unless that starts happening, I'd just as soon not have any companions having a kill option. Or, if they do, at least let us use the console for them. I get that too many options make the game hard to write, though.

I was on an LS Consular, and the whiplash in attitude was nearly lethal. I've said that there was no way her story was going to be satisfying for me, for a number of reasons, but being able to have something a bit more compassionate to say to her would have made it less annoying. I mean, you can use the argument "Why does Valkorion want us to fight" or whatever instead of the redemption line, but that's reason, not compassion, and after Chapter 6 just falls flat. The call for surrender they had would also have worked as an option, even with her rejecting it and still having to die..So it goes. As with Lana's possible kill option, the console would help.

As with Lana's possible kill option, the console would help.

IMHO in this case, it would not. I do use the console to return class story companions because I don't care anymore about Bioware's two-minute "where were you?" "Somewhere. Doing stuff." "Okay! Welcome back!" reunions. It allows me to have those companions for heroics and crafting, and to head canon their returns.

But it is in no way a substitute for actual content with those companions.

Right now, every LI who can be killed can also be saved. Technically, those companions are still in your roster and still usable for missions, without the console. I don't need to reclaim Koth, for instance; I never killed him so he's still there. It doesn't matter because they're still bricked in the story.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

YTheron's really going to be the litmus test in the new content. If he is still there for the PCs who have kept him, I will be willing to believe that the devs may have changed their tune and might be willing to write for at least some killable characters instead of bricking them.

I believe it will happen but occasionally only. Lana & Theron are likey out of their lead male/female roles. Due to their popularity I expect BW to record some new stuff for them sometimes, but otherwise we will likely have new characters with guaranteed 'alive' status to be new main mission givers/infodumps/leads. I lump Lana together with Theron despite her being alive for all players, I think she's part of the packaged deal together wit Theron and BW won't have her continue to be the lead female without the male counterpart.