Is it time to add a 'Galaxy Chat'?

toomanyluigis

With the new Rishi stronghold on the horizon I am very much looking forward to decorating ti and making it my main SH. The only problem is Rishi is scarcely populated and hanging out on the stronghold will not be effective for things like making raid groups or having a population to even chat to.

I cant speak for everyone but perhaps a Galaxy chat function should be implemented? That is, a chat system that goes across all planets and instances in the game and can only be used by subscribers. This way no matter where you are you will have someone to talk to and players to find even if they are on a different planet.

It might reduce the population on the fleets a bit but most mmo's have a 'world' chat system and perhaps maybe its time SWTOR followed suit?

If they do that i wish they add a "private" channel to not see the galactic or general chat and talk only with my friend(s) without having to "whisper" as the thing is a bit bugged at times like selecting my character's name while i'm writing to my friend and then saying that i can't whisper to myself... :rolleyes: Edited by Goreshaga

If they do that i wish they add a "private" channel to not see the galactic or general chat and talk only with my friend(s) without having to "whisper" as the thing is a bit bugged at times like selecting my character's name while i'm writing to my friend and then saying that i can't whiper to myself... :rolleyes:

You do know you can make custom chat tabs to do just that right?

If they add this, then they need to have /ignore lists have no limit. I do not agree with account wide ignore lists because it may be able to find someones alt, however having no limit to the amount of people you can ignore would make a Galaxy wide chat channel somewhat tolerable from all the trolls that will be in it.

If they add this, then they need to have /ignore lists have no limit. I do not agree with account wide ignore lists because it may be able to find someones alt, however having no limit to the amount of people you can ignore would make a Galaxy wide chat channel somewhat tolerable from all the trolls that will be in it.

Account ignore main point is to find alts, that is the whole reason people are asking for it.

In the games I've played that have account ignore, I have never heard of anyone using it to identify a person's alt so they can harass that person. This seems like an extreme edge-case scenario. Why deny the entire playerbase greatly improved functionality on the tiny off-chance that someone might figure out a way to abuse it? The current system is already abused by people who roll alts with the express intention of getting around the character ignores. It is very easy to do, and it is done.

Account ignore main point is to find alts, that is the whole reason people are asking for it.

Your missing my point. I play on many characters not in my normal guilds I play when I want to be left alone. The Account wide ignore could be used by people to find out those alts to try to get through to me when I want to be out of contact with all other players. I understand some may want it to get rid of all of a trolls characters, but it could be abused for other reason, which is why I don't agree with it. Simply making an unlimited ignore list would work as well as account wide.

Edited by Toraak

Your missing my point. I play on many characters not in my normal guilds I play when I want to be left alone. The Account wide ignore could be used by people to find out those alts to try to get through to me when I want to be out of contact with all other players. I understand some may want it to get rid of all of a trolls characters, but it could be abused for other reason, which is why I don't agree with it. Simply making an unlimited ignore list would work as well as account wide.

I'm still failing to understand how this would work. If you put someone's account on ignore because you don't wan't to deal with that person, how are they going to use that to track down your alts? It's not like they get a notice that you put them on ignore. Do you think they are going to try whispering every active character on the server to see if that character also has them on ignore and might be you? Even if they do track down one of your alts, you have them on ignore already, so there isn't much harassing they can do.

An unlimited ignore list doesn't work nearly as well as an account wide ignore. If there is a racist homophobe spouting off on fleet, when I ignore him I don't want to have ignore him every time I switch to a different character or every time he switches to a different character. I want one button to erase him from my notice so I never have to hear him again or risk being grouped with him.

What would happen if someone writes "anyone wanna q for heroics?" How would you know which planet's heroics without asking? When I'm in my Tatooine SH, I know that the person is on Tatooine. But if it would be a galaxy wide chat, maybe he would be on Belsavis?

I guess if the chat would state "Character's Name [Planet]", I would be +1 for the suggestion.

Well seems like i never found that option ^^'

Right click the chat tab titles and look at the menu. You can configure which types of chat and message appear in the log, and you can create new tabs and change the names of the tabs you have.

Beware of two things:

* The configuration is per character, not legacy-wide.

* If you make changes, they are applied only for future messages. That glob of vileness someone vomited into /general will remain visible in your chat log even if you remove /general from the tab, at least until it gets scrolled off into oblivion.

Oh god yes /galaxy channel would be glorious. Signed!

If they do that i wish they add a "private" channel to not see the galactic or general chat and talk only with my friend(s) without having to "whisper" as the thing is a bit bugged at times like selecting my character's name while i'm writing to my friend and then saying that i can't whisper to myself... :rolleyes:

There is already private channels in game. You can create one by typing /channel channelname and all of your friends can type in the same info /cjoin and magic, you have your own private chat channel.

And you can place this chat channel in its own tab if you wish.

Edited by Kiesu

Right click the chat tab titles and look at the menu. You can configure which types of chat and message appear in the log, and you can create new tabs and change the names of the tabs you have.

Beware of two things:

* The configuration is per character, not legacy-wide.

* If you make changes, they are applied only for future messages. That glob of vileness someone vomited into /general will remain visible in your chat log even if you remove /general from the tab, at least until it gets scrolled off into oblivion.

Oh god yes /galaxy channel would be glorious. Signed!

There is already private channels in game. You can create one by typing /channel channelname and all of your friends can type in the same info and magic, you have your own private chat channel.

And you can place this chat channel in its own tab if you wish.

Oh, thanks to both of you, i've learned new things today :)

Oh, thanks to both of you, i've learned new things today :)

You can make channels password protected as well. I miss-remembered the creation so here's correction:

to create

/create channelname password

to join

/cjoin channelname password

to leave

/cleave channelname password

Using password is optional ofc.

And naturally you can /ckick /mute /mod /unmod /ban /unban....

Edited by Kiesu