Is it time to add a 'Galaxy Chat'?

toomanyluigis

Your missing my point. I play on many characters not in my normal guilds I play when I want to be left alone. The Account wide ignore could be used by people to find out those alts to try to get through to me when I want to be out of contact with all other players. I understand some may want it to get rid of all of a trolls characters, but it could be abused for other reason, which is why I don't agree with it. Simply making an unlimited ignore list would work as well as account wide.

Omg, it is not like it would list every toon that is legacy banned, it would probably be like a checkbox or something in the ignore window. You are kinda of reaching on this one...

not to mention that would be one crappy guild if they did do that anyways. If my guild stalked me like that I would tell them to F off.

Edited by lightSaberAddiCt

If they add this, then they need to have /ignore lists have no limit. I do not agree with account wide ignore lists because it may be able to find someones alt, however having no limit to the amount of people you can ignore would make a Galaxy wide chat channel somewhat tolerable from all the trolls that will be in it.

Account ignore main point is to find alts, that is the whole reason people are asking for it.

Huh? The main point a Legacy ignore is to ignore a player - what do your alts have to do with any of this?

If I /ignore Toraak, I don't expect his alts to populate my ignore list, but I would expect that his account is no longer able to contact me in any way, no matter what toon he switches to. This has literally nothing to do with finding your alts names, just ignoring you...you the player, despite what toon you're on. I don't need to know your toon names, I just don't want to hear from you ever again in any way. Account ignore is a much needed feature imo. Let the aholes realize that there are consequences.

lightSaberAddiCt, I think we have the same vision for it.

Edited by TUXs

Adding a 'Galaxy' chat is just the same request as asking for Fleet chat to be usable on other planets with a new name. I'm kind of ambivalent on the idea since Fleet General tends to be toxic and full of random spam, though so long as there's an opt out button for it like there already is for General/PvP/Trade I'd be alright with it.

What I think might be more useful instead of a game-wide General channel would be game-wide channels labeled 'Looking for Group' and 'Looking for Guild'. Sure, players have made custom private channels for things like finding ops groups and whatnot, but not every player--especially newbies--know about them. If they were default game channels available to everyone without having to seek them out, I think that would help players. A lot of people say they want Fleet chat accessible other places to help them find groups and guilds, so that would provide them the functionality they wanted.

Sure, people could just post random crap in those channels in the end, but I think more people would use them for their intended purpose. Such channels should also have opt-out buttons in Preferences as well, of course.

Put down my vote for account-based /ignore as well. There are too many jerkfaces out there with a couple dozen alts who seem to have nothing better to do than sending nasty messages to people they don't like or troll RPers. As someone who's been a target of stalking and harassment in this game, it's a pain in the neck to have to ignore all their alts on every single one of my toons in order to get away from them. Players who are being targeted by said jerkfaces shouldn't have to go through all that to get some peace, or have to deal with their harassers/stalkers simply making new toons to continue the harassment.

Edited by AscendingSky

As long as I can turn it off (actually it should be off by default and player chooses to turn it on)... I'm fine with it.

That said.. I can guarantee you it would become troll/hate/grief-central in game. So I will never use it. The upside to this being it would likely aggregate all the misifts on one channel... because they love a big audience and that may actually help Fleet become better in chat.

Edited by Andryah

As long as I can turn it off (actually it should be off by default and player chooses to turn it on)... I'm fine with it.

That said.. I can guarantee you it would become troll/hate/grief-central in game. So I will never use it. The upside to this being it would likely aggregate all the misifts on one channel... because they love a big audience and that may actually help Fleet become better in chat.

I 100% expected you to write something like that.

I agree, any such change would have to be optional and opt in, I spend as little time as I can on the fleet and capital planet for a reason.

Ignore does little imo as while I cannot see the initial comment I can still see its ripples that affect the other people in chat chiding the comments etc I would simply have to turn chat off completely.

I agree, any such change would have to be optional and opt in, I spend as little time as I can on the fleet and capital planet for a reason.

Ignore does little imo as while I cannot see the initial comment I can still see its ripples that affect the other people in chat chiding the comments etc I would simply have to turn chat off completely.

Opt OUT - not opt in.

No that's the right way around I should not have to opt out of something I don't want. People who want it should be the ones to opt in.

No, you have all FPs auto-selected when you que. If you don't want to que for some of them you opt out manually.

No that's the right way around I should not have to opt out of something I don't want. People who want it should be the ones to opt in.

If they add it in, it would be a big enough change that it should be defaulted ON, not off - otherwise why add it at all? We can just agree to disagree on this...I think things that increase communication are good for the game.

Huh? The main point a Legacy ignore is to ignore a player - what do your alts have to do with any of this?

If I /ignore Toraak, I don't expect his alts to populate my ignore list, but I would expect that his account is no longer able to contact me in any way, no matter what toon he switches to. This has literally nothing to do with finding your alts names, just ignoring you...you the player, despite what toon you're on. I don't need to know your toon names, I just don't want to hear from you ever again in any way. Account ignore is a much needed feature imo. Let the aholes realize that there are consequences.

lightSaberAddiCt, I think we have the same vision for it.

yeah not understanding the guys complaint, it isnt like if you legacy ignore someone, it is not going to list all their alts, you just are ignoring toons on the legacy to not be grouped with them. I think trying to assume that it will, is just reaching for something to complain about the option.

In the games I've played that have account ignore, I have never heard of anyone using it to identify a person's alt so they can harass that person. This seems like an extreme edge-case scenario. Why deny the entire playerbase greatly improved functionality on the tiny off-chance that someone might figure out a way to abuse it? The current system is already abused by people who roll alts with the express intention of getting around the character ignores. It is very easy to do, and it is done.

That's basically the whole reason we can't have nice things in most areas of the game.