The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

WoW is Microsoft and SWTOR is Apple

Meldwyn

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also say that WoW is more like a PC game and SWTOR is more like a console game. A PC game is more complex and customizable. It has mods, addons, macros, etc. A console game is just "press a button again and again".

and console players don't mind paying $20 for mods that homebrew devs do for free on the pc side to keeps games alive years afterwards.:D

But Microsoft is a vastly more ethical company than Apple. Not to mention that Bill Gates is a kindly saint to Steve Job's baby munching demon.

You have a bad analogy there.

Now if you just mean being cool to the sheeple then yeah, you have a point. But that's a delusion brought on by blind devotion coupled with irrational hatred, just like Apple and Microsoft.

Bioware is EA, Blizzard is Activision. There's no hero to be found. I don't think development philosophies are even compatible.

No, Bioware is owned by EA, Blizzard is not owned by Activision. Blizzard is owned by the same corporation they have been owned by for over 10 years, Vivendi. Activion Blizzard == two studios operating under the same name as a branch of Vivendi.

Well, they do both focus more on shiny things like the way the product looks or the voice-overs thing while the actual technical aspects like the UI and the textures or the computer hardware lag behind. They are also products of very profit-oriented companies, although EA is nowhere near as awful as Apple.

To the OP...

You really do not read any of the stickies or the dev tracker or anything do you? Ui customization is coming. Macros are not necessary anymore with mice such as the naga. Do you really need to macro an ability that has a 10 minute cool down? Dont get me wrong, macros can be useful but why give spammers more tools? Ive not seen many complains about credit farmers...Gee I wonder why? Think about that for second

Please stop stop stop these threads whining about what didn't make it in at launch. MMO's are entirely a work in progress project.

Patience. All the (so called) goodness that is WoW was not created in one magic patch.

Patience. All the (so called) goodness that is WoW was not created in one magic patch.

Well see, anyone could make any game better in the future. We could wake up tomorrow and WoW delivers a completely insanely awesome patch with gigantic laser cannons and chicken people.

Do you judge WoW by what it could become in a year? No, you judge it by what it is now. Why is it fair to judge TOR by what it could become in the future?

I am completely ignoring anyone who is quitting WoW because of pandas and pokemon because by virtue of that, considering them is pointless. Mostly because pandas are awesome, but also because what's been delivered in Cataclysm has been pretty pathetic and that goofy fun and a lightened tone is exactly what the game needs.

Like Microsoft's operating system, WoW is very open for external development for addons, macros, etc...

Like Apple's operating system, SW is very closed to outside development.

Both of those analogies are so misleading it's comical.

Neither OS is technically open to having outsiders tinker with it, as neither is an open source OS.

And if you think people can't write programs for the Mac OS that add functionality, the same as people do for Windows, you've never used one.

Yes, WoW has more in terms of addons and other 3rd party extras. SWTOR has been out for less than a month. To expect the same level of availability is just sheer stupidity. If the folks at BioWare are smart, they'll take a long hard look at all of the problems that can be caused by opening up the game like Blizzard did, and control what can be done via addons much more closely.

1. The reason apple is doing what it is doing (running a monopoly on all apple products, parts and software) is simply to earn money. i do not see how you can compare those two companies, let alone the fact that they arent even in the same business.

The only money Bioware is earning by locking off addon development is the pay for GMs that have to deal with **** stupid people with **** computers and who want every single useless addon on the planet and in turn break their own client. and i would immagine that even before thinking about addons, they want the basics to run as smoothly as possible.

2. along with addons comes a whole bunch of decisions, what defines an addon? (is it clear to everyone?)

What people seem to forget, that are very obvious in this thread, is that WoW had 7 years to get where it is now. personally i think blizzards decisions through the past 3 years are worse than ****, but each to his own.

Also keep in mind that all the "Essentials" in wow are already implemented here at launch. Such as Quest Helper, Cast Bars (yes, they were very late in wow, considering how important it actually is)

I am not saying SWTOR's UI is pure perfection, but it has everything a mmorpg needs.