Well you guys were right, big boys decided to play in the kiddie pool

xordevoreaux

Curious why, name unnamed, Star Forge Conquest small reward has a guild with an almost million point disparity between 1st and 2nd place. #1 didn't feel like playing with the big boys this week?

As others have pointed out, there are a litany of reasons to invade certain planets. In fact, I think it's foolish to invade the large planet most weeks for most guilds. There just isn't a good enough reason to do it imo.

I feel that there should be a specific number to achieve for Conquests. Once a guild achieves that number, they get rank 1 rewards. Another option is to randomize the winner of those guilds that hit the target number -- this how other games have done it, SWGOH raids for example.

I think this would be good for SWTOR since all of the rewards are old anyway, with exception of rare mats.

Curious why, name unnamed, Star Forge Conquest small reward has a guild with an almost million point disparity between 1st and 2nd place. #1 didn't feel like playing with the big boys this week?

It has become the standard, I repeat : Standart on Tulak Hord.

And I'm fed up with those apologists saying that "big boys playing in the kid's room is absolutely okay".

Then, why is there a kid's room in the first place ? To please the big boys, and not the kids ?

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

That only a few really large guilds can win planets is the worst problem with the current conquest system. I have already suggested possible changes in this thread, where you can also find statistics about the conquest winners on all servers since 5.8. There is a little bit more diversity on servers with smaller populations, whereas the larger servers (i.e., Darth Malgus and Star Forge) are totally dominated by just a couple of guilds.

Sad, because competing against other guilds used to be so much fun.

As someone from this guild, we chose Oricron for the achivement because 5+ members just need it for the title galaxy conqueror. also all guilds have the freedom to choose which one to invade.

Edit: You guys make it sound like they're doing this to BM other guilds. When they're just adhering to what the guild needs.

Edited by Magnusheart

Completely agree that they need to do something. Not sure if hitting target should push them into the next bracket. But going over it by x amount should eliminate the ability to queue into it the following week at least. So if you're in the million point league, you shouldn't be able to queue for the medium and small yields.

If you're in a big conquest guild, you get large Charged Matter Rewards if your guild stays in the big boy pool. So big boys playing in the kiddie pool are heavily disincentivized. Can you tell me how your comments address this?

As someone from this guild, we chose Oricron for the achivement because 5+ members just need it for the title galaxy conqueror. also all guilds have the freedom to choose which one to invade.

Edit: You guys make it sound like they're doing this to BM other guilds. When they're just adhering to what the guild needs.

My guild goes after planets for the titles people need, the rewards rarely play into the decision.

Why does everyone assume its for the reward and not the planet?

I think if you're going to go down the road of bumping guilds up to the next bracket, they should reward the title for the lower tier once they get moved (against their will) to another planet.

Large guilds aren't chasing the rewards for small and medium yields (that's ludicrous to think so). They're chasing the titles. Let's say Hoth (small), Iokath (medium), and Ilum (large) are up this week. Guild So-and-So has already conquered Iokath and Ilum, but has never conquered Hoth, and therefore most of the guild's membership doesn't have Hoth. Of course they're going to invade Hoth.

I don't necessarily think it would be a bad thing, though, to do something like hit a certain target number in the small yield that automatically moves your guild to the next level but still grants you the title for the previous tier that you were going for. If the guild didn't have Hoth but already had Iokath, it's through no fault of their own to have to lose that Hoth title. So set the target (fairly high) to be moved to the next level. If your guild hits that target you get the title and the rewards. If your guild keeps pushing and somehow gets to the next tier's movement target they'd get the rewards for medium on top of the small and the title of the low and medium (might be some new members that don't have Iokath), and take a shot at large.

While the large guild invading the small planet gets what it wants for its members, any remaining guilds in the lower tiers would still be in play for the titles if they either finish first in that tier or move past the movement target themselves.

Unless the whole point of complaining about this system is that too many people are getting rewards and titles should be for less than 1% of the population, I guess I don't know what the reason for the constant complaints are anymore. More people are getting rewards and titles as is now and that still pisses people off. Instead of only 10 guilds per server winning rewards, dozens of guilds are now. Instead of one guild earning a title per server, three are earning now.

Small guilds don't stand a chance.

So much for giving small guilds a better chance.

It would be nice to get an explanation why conquest is still alt-unfriendly and even more lopsided now when it was told the changes to conquest was supposed to make it more competitive for the smaller guilds.

It's a matter of definition.

Small guilds now have a chance to get the guild rewards, where there used to be competition just to get those. Now, a small guild that gets 200k in the small category "wins" the guild rewards regardless of whether there are large guilds also competing in that category.

I can't imagine anyone didn't see that it would still only be large guild would get the most points for the title/achievement. Even the devs who never play the game must have anticipated that...

So much for giving small guilds a better chance.

It would be nice to get an explanation why conquest is still alt-unfriendly and even more lopsided now when it was told the changes to conquest was supposed to make it more competitive for the smaller guilds.

What is your definition of competitive in this case?

Competitive = more guilds get rewarded with what the top-10 guilds were getting before? (this has been successful, and the rewards have increased for the top two tiers along with that)

Competitive = more competition for the top spot and the conqueror titles? (three guilds can win a top spot now, not one as before)

I've been trying to think of other ways to keep the large guilds in the top tier without giving them incentives to slum it in the lower-tiers (currently it's backwards--the rewards outside the conqueror title are largely inconsequential (almost laughable to some) for winning a large-yield planet, and if a lower-tier planet hasn't been conquered for the titles by the majority of the guild, they're incentivized to go lower, not to stay in the top-tier).

Perhaps this would work--

Let's use Hoth, Iokath, and Ilum again. Hoth is low, Iokath is medium, and Ilum is high. Give a REAL incentive to the large guilds to stay large by offering the title for all three if they win the top-tier. If you invade Hoth and win, you will get the Hoth title. If you invade Iokath and win, you will get Iokath AND Hoth. If you invade Ilum and win, you will get Ilum AND Iokath AND Hoth.

There would be no reason (outside of a fringe example of the guild having conquered every single planet EXCEPT Hoth) for the large guilds to go to Hoth, and the smaller guilds could fight among themselves over it.

Edited by aerockyul

It's really simple: the guild you are referring to invaded a planet other than Oricon the last time it was available. The GM rotates which planets he invades so everyone in the guild has a chance to get the "Galaxy Conqueror" title by winning each planet available.

For folks in the guild, it is certainly not ideal to get lesser rewards for the week. But everyone is willing to do so for those that don't have the Oricon achievement.

As for people that don't want to be in a large guild but still want to win Conquest titles: simply join a large Conquest guild that consistently wins with ONE of your alts. It doesn't take much effort to complete conquest once a week on one alt character. Keep the rest of your characters in whatever your preferred guild is.

On Star Forge, it's even convenient to do so with two alts - one guild on Republic side and one on Imperial basically win each week, and they don't like competing with each other (one is simply better at Conquest and accumulates more points). Over the course of a few months, you'll have all the planets completed.

Edited by arunav

What kind of whine is that? In a competition of added numbers the larger group or the group finishing more tasks of higher number value wins. So what is the OP's issue? There is only one thing you can't get in a small guild: the achievement to conquest a planet. That is as per design by BW, many players have pointed out that the changes applied by BW will effectively result in less competition. It is bad design to just offer 3 tiers and 3 planets to chose per week. It is bad design to (in the end) limit numbers to achieve more or less by net account numbers of guilds (bugs aside).

It is good design to set limits for guilds to reach to get the planet reward though.

So bottom line is: you want the achievement for a planet, join a guild that can do it. Pretty much the same as any other achievement. Bigger guilds (especially the conquest ones) will add you for sure, seeing they are not as elitist about their member choice as small guilds (-> we only take people in who fulfill certain requirements we come up with).

Edited by Sundown

That is complete nonsene, sorry. There is a more important reason for organized guilds to choose a certain planet other than stupid rewards. It's the title for that planet given how many members still need it. At least in my rather big guild this a big part of the decision, if not the biggest one.