Maintenance: May 23rd, 2018

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey everyone!

We will be taking the servers offline on Wednesday, May 23rd for a brief server restart. This restart is to turn the Double XP event on, there will not be a patch to download.

Details:

DATE: 23 May 2018

TIME: 5:30AM - 6:30AM PDT (1230 - 1330 GMT)

VERSION: N/A

Thank you for your patience as we maintain Star Wars™: The Old Republic™!

-eric

Did this start early or is my timezone conversion off?

It's 8:20AM EDT (which is 5:20AM PDT) and the servers are down for me. Wanted to check a couple market items before heading out for the day...

Edited by PerfectSquare

Hey everyone!

We will be taking the servers offline on Wednesday, May 23rd for a brief server restart. This restart is to turn the Double XP event on, there will not be a patch to download.

Details:

VERSION: N/A

Thank you for your patience as we maintain Star Wars™: The Old Republic™!

-eric

How much longer for the servers to come back on

why could this not have been done yesterday when the servers were down for half the day with the update, some of us who pay for a subscription only have the time you shut down for maintenance to play and we are always losing our playing time

why could this not have been done yesterday when the servers were down for half the day with the update, some of us who pay for a subscription only have the time you shut down for maintenance to play and we are always losing our playing time

Its 13:50 gmt there timings are off quite a bit

Its 13:50 gmt there timings are off quite a bit

It is currently 1pm GMT... you're forgetting to take into account daylight savings time. As for why it needed a server restart that has been explained by Eric in this thread. Do with it what you will.

Edited by silenthc

• Dev Post
Did this start early or is my timezone conversion off?

It's 8:20AM EDT (which is 5:20AM PDT) and the servers are down for me. Wanted to check a couple market items before heading out for the day...

Quick explanation on how our maintenance works which will explain what you saw. As an example, let's say our maintenance starts at 7AM. At 6:45AM, we message to players a 15 minute warning that the server will be shutting down. When we do that, we stop NEW logins from entering the server. That means if you aren't already logged into the server, you won't be able to get on.

We continue countdown messaging until 7AM, at which time we kick any players which have not exited the server. At this point all servers are now offline and maintenance begins. If you tried to login during the 15 minute window prior to maintenance beginning, we will have disabled logins. The servers weren't actually offline for players, we just stop more people from going on right before they would get kicked.

-eric

Ah, that makes sense and great to know going forward. Thank you for responding and keeping us informed of the process behind the curtain. I appreciate you and the team working so hard to keep the game fun and handle the unexpected hiccups that inevitably arise with complex software.

As much gnashing of teeth that happens on forums/social media over minor issues, I'm sure it's most frustrating for the internal team. I'm sure I speak for the the vast majority of players when I say we appreciate the efforts to resolve them.

Thanks!

One hour for a brief server restart? Somehow that sounds like you took the advice of having a longer ETA so you can get stuff done early (relatively speaking). :p

They do this so that they have some wiggle room in the case of some snag. Time estimates in most service providing businesses are generally longer than what might be expected as necessary. I honestly, don't find that unreasonable and from a business point of view it makes a lot of sense. Not only that, but if they get it done faster than the estimated time given than it looks good on them.

Speaking only for myself, I really have little problem with things like this, especially when it comes to technology/programming, that crap has snags almost to a rule. Murphy's Law also comes to mind.

Eric has nothing to do with these things, he is a public liaison. He gets crap from the player base all the times for things he has absolutely no control over or has a say in. - Don't shoot the messenger.

Because this is a fix to an issue that popped up after the servers came back live from the patch. So they had to A) find the problem, B) fix the problem, and C) set a time, and notify players in advance of said time to restart the servers with some server side fix as well.

If you kept tabs on devtracker (gold posts from the studio) you would have known all of this, and not had to ask. Or was this just an oblique rant for the servers being down??

This your first MMO, or something? :p It happens... and no MMO is immune.

Edited by Andryah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.