Shroud of memory

deserttfoxx

So... if they are never going to release it to people who didn't play the game back then. can we not have it on our chapters list? Honestly, that's what leaves the largest bad taste in my mouth...

I didn't play the game back then. I missed out of a glorified 20 min cutscene. No big deal.

Missed a companion, I have like 200 that all act the same, I don't really want anymore.

But when I open the chapter select, do I really need to see it when I don't have access to it?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that it was a perk for being subscribed during a certain time period, but content is content and considering the drought as of late, i would have no problem with people who missed out on it being able to purchase it. I remember Mass Effect having downloadable content and since this is another Bioware game I can see them doing that here.

So... if they are never going to release it to people who didn't play the game back then. can we not have it on our chapters list? Honestly, that's what leaves the largest bad taste in my mouth...

I didn't play the game back then. I missed out of a glorified 20 min cutscene. No big deal.

Missed a companion, I have like 200 that all act the same, I don't really want anymore.

But when I open the chapter select, do I really need to see it when I don't have access to it?

This would be annoying.

It's like living across the street from a billboard of a pretty girl I never asked out ... and who has moved away. A constant reminder of my failure to act at the proper time. Now, I have to suffer, knowing that most other guys have "played the content" I will never get to experience. How nice it would be if she just started letting guys "play the content" for a set price. I could just watch another guy "play the content" on Youtube, but it just ain't the same.

I have Shroud of Memory. I have played Shroud of Memory. I have completed Shroud of Memory. I'm all for players buying the right to play Shroud of Memory. After all, the purpose of the subscriber rewards was to generate income. I see no reason (please, let's ignore fluctuations in currency valuation) why last year's dollars are worth more than this year's dollars.

This would be annoying.

It's like living across the street from a billboard of a pretty girl I never asked out ... and who has moved away. A constant reminder of my failure to act at the proper time. Now, I have to suffer, knowing that most other guys have "played the content" I will never get to experience. How nice it would be if she just started letting guys "play the content" for a set price. I could just watch another guy "play the content" on Youtube, but it just ain't the same.

I have Shroud of Memory. I have played Shroud of Memory. I have completed Shroud of Memory. I'm all for players buying the right to play Shroud of Memory. After all, the purpose of the subscriber rewards was to generate income. I see no reason (please, let's ignore fluctuations in currency valuation) why last year's dollars are worth more than this year's dollars.

Last year's dollars have already been spent, even. This year's dollars can still be spent.

Open up the chapter, BW:A

(And I say this as someone who has it all)

I get that it was a perk for being subscribed during a certain time period, but content is content and considering the drought as of late, i would have no problem with people who missed out on it being able to purchase it. I remember Mass Effect having downloadable content and since this is another Bioware game I can see them doing that here.

No...

Just so i have this right, i had to be subbed for a few months a few years ago in order to get this chapter? No open to pay extra to buy it, or acquire it in any other way. As a returning player who didnt know this rules i will never be able to finish knights of the fallen empires story.

What a disgusting business practice.

Shroud of Memory and HK-55 was a reward for being subbed through all of KOTFE from start to finish, including a few months of delays. Remember this was the expansion in which all you need to do is sub at the end and everything proactively opens up for you. So to keep people going, SoM and HK-55 were the rewards to the faithful.

So let's play what if. What if BW says "its open to all". What do you think will happen in the future next time they do an expansion during a slow point? If you said "no one will do it because they figure they can get it later" then you'd be right. It will literally be someone subbing a single month each year or more and sweeping up content that would never pay for itself. If you want the game to die real fast - yep, break your word if your BW.

Now if they gave something to those that earned it at a time they didn't have to stay subbed, then I think you'd get significantly less push back. But everything has a monetary value. So if they do it and don't reward, you will lose subs. If they do it and isn't equal to 10+ months of sub time, you will alienate people. If you give those that did something, people will whine they didn't get it either.

Honestly if I was BW, I'd personally not shake up the status quo because you have more risk than not doing anything.

How about starting a new period? From August to 6.0 (whenever it may come) subscription and you get the chapter. Or just a period that was just as long as for those who already have the chapter. That's fair. :)

How about starting a new period? From August to 6.0 (whenever it may come) subscription and you get the chapter. Or just a period that was just as long as for those who already have the chapter. That's fair. :)

I mean I think it would be a decent idea to attach it to the largest time they sell for a subscription. I think its six months though which is less than the original run, so there would be a backlash.

Also, can I just say this one thing? I have seen a lot of comparisons between this content and other mmo limited content. There is a key difference, imo, between the hk chapter and living world. Even if I did play living world when it was running, I can't go back and replay it now. Compare that to the hk chapter where there is no actual reason why a player can't replay it because they literally can. There really isn't a reason why the content couldn't be added in other than the desire to keep it exclusive to the devoted fans, which is a valid position. Like swtor is unique in that it tries to keep the old content working with the new content. Even though they were pushing the new story, it didn't replace the class stories.

Just a reminder that I really don't care about it anymore. I did once, but now the only salt I have is that it will forever be an empty circle in my chapter select, I can deal with missing a 20 minute cutscene. So ya, fix that, make the original shroud missions solo-able, add back the unique companions movesets as a 4th option, and fix star fortress being a buggy mess. :p

If you want to qualify then you need to stay subscribed for the FULL 6 months just like we did. Then that would be fair.

You can not simply Buy it Or only stay subscribed for 1 month... NO

If you want it then you have to spend the time as well as the money just like we did in the first place.... That would be acceptable.

Sorry but No Free Passes on this one.

But you do understand that NONE of the F2Pers will do that. They want it for FREE and that is not going to happen. They want to pay a small amount and spend no time at all. Not gonna happen. You pay and spend the time or you get Nothing.

TBH people committing to six months of subscription right now would probably be as integral to keeping the lights on as the subs were when HK was originally offered. We're also completely starved for story and things to do, and getting a new mission would appeal to a lot of people. So I wish they'd consider this.

If you want to qualify then you need to stay subscribed for the FULL 6 months just like we did. Then that would be fair.

That's fair and I'm subscribed non-stop since the day I joined. The problem is, that day was two months too late.

If you want it then you have to spend the time as well as the money just like we did in the first place... That would be acceptable.

Sorry but No Free Passes on this one.

But you do understand that NONE of the F2Pers will do that. They want it for FREE and that is not going to happen. They want to pay a small amount and spend no time at all. Not gonna happen. You pay and spend the time or you get Nothing.

I mean, f2pers wouldn't even have kotfe at all, so I don't really see your point there... The people complaining are people who have at least subscribed at some point. I also think that just having another limited time subscription offer will just cause the same issue to happen later. I personally think that if you really want to just get people to shut up about the 20 min cutscene, just tie it to the 6-month reoccurring subscription. Then no matter when people join, it is accessible through a decent paywall.

This could allow for more "restricted" chapters. Just tie them to 6-month subscriptions and have them all unlock in order. so the hk would be the first 6 months, then when it renews you get the second "restricted" chapter and so on. I mean it would be an easy way to get multiple months of secured subs for relatively small missions. Also, don't tie it to anything less than the largest reoccurring. So 6-months of 1-month don't unlock the missions, only 1 6-month.

(final thing, only do this for chapters, I am not saying this should be done for any other type of content. That is a bragging right type of exclusive that, IMO should stay exclusive, like the collector's edition vendor)

Thoughts? :rak_02:

I could support this. And its fair - pay the 6 month sub and you get the reward. For the record, I am and have been from launch a 6 month per renewal subscriber. For those that previously did it, give them like 4500 CC or similar as compensation if they are on the 6 month sub already. Heck make a "6 month sub incentive" and drop in choices for various companions available to all that do it with 2 new choices added per year.

Players that are loyal to the game and willing to buy a 6 month sub will have another added incentive and it gives the opportunity (fairly I might add) for everyone to acquire. For Bioware, it gives a boost to subscriber numbers and cash for EA or for development (still not sure how the money flows).

I call that a win-win for everyone.

Blakinik

This is why I keep saying they need to set up a vet reward system and have various things offered. This way the companions we have, this chapter, etc can be placed on the vet reward system and for new players they know they have to be subbed for xx amount of time before they claim one of the rewards but they also need to add new items for those that have them.

SWG had the vet reward system and we didn't have the problem when new players came because they knew that after xx amount of time, they could choose a reward from a list.

• 2 months later...

I'm just running the chapter (on yet another alt) after a gap since the last time I did it and this chapter is really very good (even if I do find Z0-0M annoying :rolleyes: ). I like how all the underwater humanoids are the "fish" or rather "aquatic" species - Selkaths, Nautolons, its-a-traps** - brilliant idea. The two bonuses to click the journals is also worth doing - I'm hearing things I missed before as I just rushed through on all but my main previously.

Come on BW - time to allow access for all; the special circumstances the rest of us had to do are history now by over 2 years)

**I forget what species they are & am too lazy to Google it.

Edited by Sarova

This chapter is exclusive to two kinds of people people:

Those who were subbed the whole time, and

Those who can and will buy an account which was subbed the whole time.

But. Muh. Exclusives!

Nico Okarr was "exclusive" yet they brought him back for those who missed out the first time (like me). There's not much else going on with swtor and won't be anything big until next year so what's the harm in letting those people who missed out on Shroud of Memory have access to it now (by mission, CCs or some other access hurdle). I can barely remember what I had to do to get access to that chapter and I won't mind if those who missed out are allowed access now.

Also why would anyone sell/buy a swtor account? Is that a thing?

Also why would anyone sell/buy a swtor account? Is that a thing?

People would buy an MMO account because it's a shiny thing with shiny things in it like achievements and stuff that's not available today on them.

People would sell MMO accounts because they've got bills to pay and some people find them valuable.

"No longer available" only applies to people who consider money to be a scarce resource.