Does anyone else think that Starwars galaxies was a much better game?

DarthTapOut

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO SWG had a great 'class' system and a very good crafting but everything else (graphic engine, combat system in its various incarnations) was terrible. Real terrible.

Anyway, this thread will be locked and deleted because it's OFF TOPIC

^^This right here

I loved my time on SWG... I could even stomach the combat upgrade, and then the NGE killed it for me. I went around talking to my old friends reminiscing about the "good old days" and then went back and I tried to play the emulator.

It was an awful awful game that was made great by the community, the roleplaying and the freedom.

If you want bugs... that was certainly a game for bugs.

Yes and no.

It was made by the community. And there's a bit of nostalgic tint to that, as well. But it had it's epic moments. It'd have been nothing without the franchise.

ToR doesn't really have the same community, and can't, by virtue of different design directives and philosophies. It still has epic moments, and preys on KotoR nostalgia in addition to the franchise. It'd be nothing of interest without the franchise.

I loved my time on SWG... I could even stomach the combat upgrade, and then the NGE killed it for me. I went around talking to my old friends reminiscing about the "good old days" and then went back and I tried to play the emulator.

It was an awful awful game that was made great by the community, the roleplaying and the freedom.

If you want bugs... that was certainly a game for bugs.

Yeah for a laugh I played an emulator of PRE-CU. For about 20 minutes. Then I had to sanitize my HDD. Community and nostalgia make it look better than it was really

SWG was amazing at launch. Really amazing.

The class skill building system was to this day the BEST thing I have ever seen in ANY game.

Then came the combat Upgrade. It got a bit worse.

Then came the New Game Enhancements, and I wouldnt scrub my dogs sick up with it.

The Old Republic is better than Galaxies in every way...

BUT ONE.

Space.

Space combat in TOR is absolutely ***** compared to Galaxies. That is the one place SWG really had it going, and I nearly cry every time I lift off in my ship and think how amazing TOR would be if they would have gotten space right as well.

edit: On a side note, one other thing I do miss from SWG.... placing trophies in my ship to make it "Mine". Killed a trophy bantha, heres a new rug, killed a jedi, his lightsabers hanging over there. I liked that a lot.

Does anyone else think that Starwars galaxies was a much better game?
Release state SWG was a horrible, horrible game. The most supreme grindfest of any game to that point, horrid combat mechanics, terribly convoluted skill trees that left far too many players totally useless after a certain point, and THE worst community I have ever seen in any mmo yet. Which explains why within 3 months it lost 75% of the players that had bought the box, and at the time they decided to start changing things was losing 10K players a month. It was virtually hemorrhaging players. Edited by Umbral

-Personal housing and communities building together

-Interdependency

-Crafting system

-Multi-person starships, and free-roaming space

These are the few aspects where SWG surpasses SWTOR. That's about it though. I did my years in SWG, and loved them. I will never find a game experience quite like it. It was a game full of potential and half-arsed execution.