No to Arcann Romance Give us Real Content!

Manjaca

Exactly! thanks for repeating my point for me :)

You don't need them for it, but if you recruit them than they are the ones that do it, not Sana-Rae , details m'lady. The writers did not have to do that, at all, but they did. tiny difference but significant. Just like Hylo taking over from Koth if he leaves/die, which is far more impact for her character then having Koth still around is.

My point is that what they do is not heroic or noble or some sort of extraordinarily special. Sana-Rae can do it just as well.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that what they do is not heroic or noble or some sort of extraordinarily special. Sana-Rae can do it just as well.

I never used either of those words, just pointed out that if there they do something.. where did you get those words from? since that wasn't my point either.. ? because I didn't feel like repeating "doesn't excuse what they did" in every single little comment I made?

Edited by Asmodesu

I never used either of those words, just pointed out that if there they do something.. where did you get those words from? since that wasn't my point either.. ?

TBH I got from your post that you were supporting the other post, that was trying to minimize and justify Arcann's evil actions and claim that he's atoned or offered some sort of restitution for his past. if that's not the case, I'll freely admit I misread and apologize for doing so.

But I was glomming on to this that you said:

- Player Character is collateral damage, he only wants his father (big bad Sith Emperor guy, who ate Ziost) gone and he is using the player character as a vessel.

I think my issue with this is that if it truly were "Arcann's just afraid of his dad and wants him gone," he would never have gone after the Core Worlds or attacked the Republic and Empire after the Outlander was in carbonite. The Outlander was in carbonite. Valkorion was there too and couldn't get out.

So there was no justification to subjugate the Empire and Republic or to exterminate the Scions at that point, except that Arcann wanted to take over the galaxy and didn't mind killing lots of civilians to do it. Koth defected because he was given orders to kill civvies and even Senya admits her son was a cruel ruler.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Sorry, there's no anger here. It's logic. You can make as many excuses as you want, but it doesn't change that nothing you've written here is in any way showing any retribution, justice or actions of atonement or kindness on Arcann's part.

I swear, the man could kill everyone in the game and beat up the player every day and some of his fans would still think he's wonderful marriage material.

Justice and atonement = jail or carbonite or sacrificing his life. Nothing less. Touring the galaxy and righting all his wrongs. He's done nothing of that nature.

1. It's not about intent; it's about actions. So it doesn't matter why he freezes you. He still does and then puts you on the wall as his trophy, and then he mounts an attack on the Empire and Republic and takes them over.

2. Anyone who would have thought Arcann was actually sincere in that scene is a fool, I'm sorry. He would have subdued the Outlander and then killed every single one of their companions.

3. So? He still killed him. That's on Arcann. Not anyone else. He killed his own brother who probably trusted him implicitly and was doing nothing to attack him. I don't know how anyone can try to explain or minimize this one.

4. I don't care if he was afraid. He didn't need to kill all the mystics in the room. He also abandoned his mother. Shows a lot of caring for those who tried to help him, doesn't it?

5. Actually he does show up to fight Vaylin and only bends to the Outlander because he's outmatched.

7. Nope. The player does that. Not to mention that he does nothing to protect Vaylin from severe abuse from her father and doesn't even visit her when she's in Nathema.

1. The Eternal Empire vs. Known Space began under Valkorian's reign when he sent Thexan to attack Arcann wasn't supposed to be there he just finished what Daddy started.

2. You can't prove that theory.

3. Thexan was an accident! Arcann landed mid swing, Thexan parried but couldn't blok the rotation. Watch Swtor Central's video on YouTube about Valkorian.

4. For cryin' out loud he did not kill the mystics!

5. Please watch the cut scene again, he says "Take my sister alive." Then tries to make her see that she's destroying their home.

7. He's the one who got her OUT! Vaylin even agrees he freed her!

Please stop putting words in people's thoughts no Arcann fan has ever denied his crimes. I don't gloss over them, Most Arcann fans agree he can atone and be redeemed and a romance has NOTHING to do with it!

One cannot achieve atonement in death.

Okay, obviously people missed some things because they're too angry to take in details.

1. Arcann doesn't kill you after killing daddy. Yeah being frozen isn't fun but his reasoning is to make sure Daddy Dearest can't escape, not to torture you!

2. Before leveling Asylum he offers you a peaceful settlement. Even agrees to let your allies leave. There is NO evidence he's lying or insincere. You can honestly agree but an overzealous companion wrecks it!

3. He always regrets what happened to Thexan and never rants about Senya the way Vaylin does. He even stops Vaylin from killing her when he has no reason to do so. Vaylin didn't want the throne or him dead.

4. He refused join Outlander on Voss because of his fear of Valkorian not murderous intent.

5 . He returns to Zakkul not to kill his sister and take back power but to save his home. He saves Outlander and Theron from being overwhelmed, and pledges loyalty in front of the entire galaxy.

6. He provides Intel and tactical information freely.

7. He turns Vaylin to your side, and helps you finally rid the galaxy of his father.

In response to some of your points...

1) Actually Arcann does worse to the PC by carbon freezing them in defective carbonite--relegating them to a slow and painful death, rather than a quick and outright execution. Slowly being poisoned to death, yeah, not fun. Had the PC not been rescued they'd have died in the carbonite, so it's still a death sentence. His intention isn't to lock his father in the carbonite, but inside the PC's body, which in turn is locked in defective carbonite. Two birds, one carbon freezing.

2) There is more evidence that Arcann is lying on Asylum when he offers that deal than not. Who would be dumb enough to believe Arcann after he framed the PC for his father's 'murder'? Seriously, who would trust someone who framed them for murder?

3)Regret about murdering his own sibling doesn't redeem him in any way. The only thing Arcann is regretting is that he murdered someone he could've used as an ally.

The other points are dependent upon the PC's direction and choices.

- Senya says millions are dead. Specifically, not trillions. Not billions but millions. This also in no way excuses it but people should get their numbers right.

Senya is watching the aftermath of the attacks on a holounit. There is no way she can accurately tally what the death toll would be simply from watching the news broadcast. It would be like someone watching tv knowing a definitive death toll for 9/11. There is no way to know how many have died while a disaster is in progress, which it clearly was on the holo as it was being broadcast in the war room.

Yay! Another Scourge fan to talk too. Ok, let me read this delicious wall of text and think ;)

Edit:

Oh boy, do not get me started on that voice. My JK had to mediate a lot after their conversations (especially after the one about restrictions, mmm).

Lets not forget about age difference and all unable to feel thing. I did read “Revan” and got an impression that young Scourge had quite a temper. He also had some time to had all that Dark Side hissy fits long ago (by torturing people in some cases). I am not sure what do you mean by abuse?

Well, as I said in post above, I think that his all heroic actions are side effects of saving his own life (I also get an impression that he finds being hailed as hero amusing). I do think that if stopping the Emperor would mean burning Belsavis, Voss and Corellia to a pile of ash, he would do it too.

It does take an incredible strength to abandon all you have and bet everything on the victory of some stranger. Now, are we talking about Scourge or Arcann? Or maybe both? As Scourge left DK to join JK to fight the Emperor, Arcann left Zakuul to join Outlander to fight the Emperor. Only Arcann had the guts to actually join the fight (granted with some encouragement from Senya), instead of hiding on the ship. More then that, imagine: what if Scourge would be in Arcanns place in the throne room while Vitiate was pulling his little body theft stunt? Are you sure that Scourge would not drag you to the closest carbonite chamber? It would be a very logical and very Sith thing to do.

I am not sure what exactly Scourge sacrificed to save the galaxy. He killed Exile because of the vision. Because Revan and Exile had only a chance to win (a good chance, IIRC), while his vision provided a certainty (from a certain point of view). As for his centuries of pain, did he knew what he was getting into? IIRC that he realized how screwed he only after an immortality ritual?

Curing inability to feel – I would be all for that. But all of the solutions – they are as believable as someone praying for curing rage.

I read the book and I played JK story. I said “sarcastic” in reference to the idea that Scourge is so much better then Arcann as the first force sensitive male interest because he is better person (we need a short way to say this). I think I seen someone offering Zildrog cult leader son as a possible candidate and that was... probably a joke? You never know on Internet.

I guess we have very different takes on Scourge character and motivations. As you probably noticed I do like him, but I do not think that he is a hero or a good man. He respects strength. He have some kind of honor code. But a hero? Nah.

Yes, I've been a fan of Scourge's since I played my first Jedi Knight--the second class I chose to play, just after the game's launch. I played SW before that, prelaunch. I think we can agree that Joe Gatt is exceptional as a VA.

Young Scourge may have had something of a temper, but no where is it stated that he demolished high population planets. He is said to have killed a handful of Jedi, but several more Sith. He went after those that offended the Emperor, he went after individuals, not populations. As for what I mean by abuse and torture, I was referring to Arcann poisoning the PC in defective carbonite, a slow awful death and again running the PC through with his lightsaber on Asylum. Nothing says love like getting poisoned and stabbed. :)

If Scourge was interested in saving his own life, he could've split at any time and especially after the Jedi came to the Emperor's Fortress. He could've stayed ahead of the Emperor and saved his own skin, but he decided to enlist the Jedi and get their help in putting the Emperor down. He was more intersted in the great good and saving the galaxy than just himself. I disagree with you in that Scourge seemed more interested in saving those planets that the Emperor had hidden his 'toys' on than destroying them. Many of these targets could've been targetted and destroyed from space but that wasn't the case. They were dealt with in a way that affected the least amount of innocents.

When I talk about leaving something you've known your whole life taking courage, I'm most definately referring to Scourge. Arcann didn't leave anything of his, he clung to the Eternal Empire and probably still would have if not defeated and barely clinging to life so that his Mum had to save him and force healing on him. Scourge left his world behind, and risked being arrested and thrown in prison or executed. He took a major risk walking into the Jedi Temple and offering his information and services.

As for Scourge's sacrifices, well, he hung in there for 300 years until the JK he saw in his vision appeared to him, so that he knew the time was right to act. I'd say waiting 300 years and having to do the bidding of a guy you hope to kill one day is a pretty big sacrifice.

I doubt very much Scourge realized what the Emperor's 'gift' would do to him. But even if he did he was hardly in a position to refuse said gift, because he needed to be close to his enemy...you know, friends close, enemies closer and all that? As for curing him, it's a simple matter of a bit of story to do it.

You are right about one thing, we're going to have agree to disagree on how we interpret the character. Yes, Scourge respects strength, he is Sith after all, he doesn't seem willing to give up on who he is, which I respect. But I do hold to the fact that he isn't as morally bankrupt as Arcann.

Arcann was poorly written. Redemption typically calls for sacrifice and he's sacrificed nothing--he was forced into redemption only after getting trounced and left for dead by the PC. His mom did this because she loves him and I don't fault her for that. I stand by the belief that it's ridiculous to expect the people who form the Alliance to accept Arcann into their fold calmly and happily. That's just not realistic. There are people who've lost so much because of him and his family and it's crazy to think that people would just cast that aside just because the PC thinks Arcann is hawt and wants to get it on with him.

At this point, I honestly don't care if the Arcann crowd get him as their romance, the content has already been created. I also think fighting in these threads is a pointless exercise and waste of energy. Neither side is going to convince the other of their point of view and it's just a matter of round and round it goes. Surely we can't be *that* bored? LOL.

Anyway, those are my points, there is no point in answering me, because I'm done here. I won't waste another bit of energy for stuff that has already been made, even if it's stuff that I'm not interested in. It would be the same as raising cane over newly created pvp maps. :confused:

TBH I got from your post that you were supporting the other post, that was trying to minimize and justify Arcann's evil actions and claim that he's atoned or offered some sort of restitution for his past. if that's not the case, I'll freely admit I misread.

I was just making comments on my view of what happens from him, I even stated specifically twice that I did not believe my comments were an excuse for whatever he did in the comment, just another take on the situations. And as in the last bit, meant he and Senya definitely do some stuff, even if it can be done without them by someone else which is required for a one-size-fits-all storyline hence my comparison to Koth and Tora/Hylo - someone has to fill that gap no matter what, who that is really IS important details, but I wish they were more clear that he was trying to atone, not that this all means he definitely is.

I support more content for a killable character so that the devs know such a thing is wanted by some at the very least, whoever the test character is (Arcann atm). I don't adore the character, I like him because there's this major tug on emotions, both directions (despising him is an emotion too!), and it brings in (even if unnecessarily hostile) debates from both sides of the road. But don't think he's major hero or redeemed, he even says he's not redeemable, but I support more content anyway.

They already messed up my favourite 2 characters on me, so there is not much that is making me interested in the game except how they will handle this controversial fellow at the moment.

Please stop putting words in people's thoughts no Arcann fan has ever denied his crimes. I don't gloss over them, Most Arcann fans agree he can atone and be redeemed and a romance has NOTHING to do with it!

One cannot achieve atonement in death.

1. He didn't have to continue anything after the Outlander was in carbonite. Who was making him do that? Nobody. He exterminated the Scions. He launched full-scale attacks on the Empire and Republic. Valkorion wasn't in any of those places. Koth defected because he was asked to kill civilians. HIS OWN MOTHER admits he was cruel as an Emperor.

2. And you can't prove he was genuine, either. He'd given the Outlander no reason to believe he would be.

3. Um. So Arcann's lightsaber accidentally ended up in his hand, was accidentally drawn, and he accidentally turned it on Thexan to fight him? That's beyond ridiculous. "Sorry, I was attacking you but killing you was an accident!"

4. Go watch any video where Senya dies. Watch what Arcann does. You really think they got up from that?

5. Oh yes, he wants them to take Vaylin alive. Never mind he's never done a single thing to help or protect her.

7. He lets her out of Nathema when Valkorion wants her back. He has no issue leaving her there to be tortured for a decade or more, and according to Vaylin, only Thexan visited her there.

I'm sorry you don't see it that way, but you really are making lots of excuses for his actions. You've repeatedly said he didn't commit genocide and seem to think that things like killing Thexan are "accidents."

You can't atone if you're dead, but joining the Alliance without going to prison or being put in carbonite is neither justice nor atonement.

Surely we can't be *that* bored? LOL.

You underestimate us! as the only super serious thing I've said in one of these threads paraphrased : "I think we're all starved for more information on future content and this was all we have to jump on temporarily"

I was just making comments on my view of what happens from him, I even stated specifically twice that I did not believe my comments were an excuse for whatever he did in the comment, just another take on the situations. And as in the last bit, meant he and Senya definitely do some stuff, even if it can be done without them by someone else which is required for a one-size-fits-all storyline hence my comparison to Koth and Tora/Hylo - someone has to fill that gap no matter what, who that is really IS important details, but I wish they were more clear that he was trying to atone, not that this all means he definitely is.

I support more content for a killable character so that the devs know such a thing is wanted by some at the very least, whoever the test character is (Arcann atm). I don't adore the character, I like him because there's this major tug on emotions, both directions (despising him is an emotion too!), and it brings in (even if unnecessarily hostile) debates from both sides of the road. But don't think he's major hero or redeemed, he even says he's not redeemable, but I support more content anyway.

They already messed up my favourite 2 characters on me, so there is not much that is making me interested in the game except how they will handle this controversial fellow at the moment.

Got it. It is a fair point that putting more content on a killable character is a good portent if they apply that to other killable characters, like Koth, Vette or Torian. And I will agree that Arcann's able to inspire strong emotions, even if that's hatred and disgust in my case.

3. Um. So Arcann's lightsaber accidentally ended up in his hand, was accidentally drawn, and he accidentally turned it on Thexan to fight him?

I'm sorry you don't see it that way, but you really are making lots of excuses for his actions. You've repeatedly said he didn't commit genocide and seem to think that things like killing Thexan are "accidents."

You can't atone if you're dead, but joining the Alliance without going to prison or being put in carbonite is neither justice nor atonement.

My information comes from canon all you have to do is look it up on YouTube also look up the !legal definition of genocide. I never said Arcann isn't guilty of Mass Murder and War Crimes! Watch the cut scenes.

My information comes from canon all you have to do is look it up on YouTube also look up the !legal definition of genocide. I never said Arcann isn't guilty of Mass Murder and War Crimes! Watch the cut scenes.

So does mine. You do not "accidentally" draw a lightsaber on someone or "accidentally" start fighting them. Period. I've watched more cut scenes with that monster than I'd ever care to do again.

And the legal definition of genocide is wiping out a people. He's done that by exterminating the Scions- he's wiping out a specific group based on their religious views. Add in all the planets he's deliberately destroyed.

So does mine. You do not "accidentally" draw a lightsaber on someone or "accidentally" start fighting them. Period. I've watched more cut scenes with that monster than I'd ever care to do again.

And the legal definition of genocide is wiping out a people. He's done that by exterminating the Scions- he's wiping out a specific group based on their religious views.

He never drew on Thexan. NEVER! You cannot deny that. As for the scions... He committed war crimes I said that already. You think the Scions would have known it was coming...

You think Arcann fans see him as good, speaking for myself I see what he CAN BECOME. But I am neither blind nor stupid.

He never drew on Thexan. NEVER! You cannot deny that. As for the scions... He committed war crimes I said that already. You think the Scions would have known it was coming...

You think Arcann fans see him as good, speaking for myself I see what he CAN BECOME. But I am neither blind nor stupid.

I never said you were stupid.

Sooooooo..I guess Thexan magically died from the lightsaber Arcann wasn't wielding against him? 3:12, friend. Thexan pushes him away from Valkorion and Arcann turns on him and starts attacking. And then Thexan actually steps back and puts down his own lightsaber to try to stop the fight and Arcann comes up and seems to hug him, but has actually stabbed him in the stomach to kill him. All accidental, I'm sure. Arcann turned on his brother and consciously killed him. There's no way around that.

The definition of genocide: https://www.ushmm.org/confront-genocide/defining-genocide

Genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(a) Killing members of the group;

(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;

© Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;

So please, illuminate us on how deliberately and consciously ordering the extermination of the Scions - a religious group - with the intent to eliminate them completely - is not genocide. Except that it's not possible. I think this is getting futile, so I'm not going to respond further. Good day.

I never said you were stupid.

Sooooooo..I guess Thexan magically died from the lightsaber Arcann wasn't wielding against him? 3:12, friend. Thexan pushes him away from Valkorion and Arcann turns on him and starts attacking. And then Thexan actually steps back and puts down his own lightsaber to try to stop the fight and Arcann comes up and seems to hug him.

Now you're just making things up. I just watched the video and None of what you described happened.

How is the scions not genocide they had a chance to renounce their beliefs and live. The Jews of Nazi Germany the Hutu and Tutsi of Rawanda had no such option!

6. He provides Intel and tactical information freely.

When? The only line I can recall that comes close is when the party dude fires a rocket at the walker and misses, then Arcann says something about the Knights having better aim. I'm not sure why he would think the Knights are shooting at each other.

Looks like Arcann and Thexan exchange a few blows, the final one forces Thexan to raise his arm allowing Arcann to score the death blow.

Edited by Paulsutherland

IMO, Thexan's death was neither completely accidental nor was it deliberate. Arcann's furious and assaults his father, from which Thexan pulls him back. Still fueled by his anger, the two brothers then fight and in a moment of blind fury, Arcann lands a killing blow on Thexan. I don't think he meant to, you see the shock in his eyes as Thexan collapses. It really looks like one of those moments where overwhelming emotion guides our actions beyond sense or intent.

Doesn't excuse it, fact remains Thexan died at Arcann's hands but I don't believe Arcann intended on killing his brother.

Now you're just making things up. I just watched the video and None of what you described happened.

How is the scions not genocide they had a chance to renounce their beliefs and live. The Jews of Nazi Germany the Hutu and Tutsi of Rawanda had no such option!

I know I said that I wasn't going to respond but I can't let this go. It's in the video; I even gave you the time where it happened. He. Kills. Thexan.

As for genocide, he kills people because they are Scions with an intent to wipe out the order. That is genocide. And if you're going to go with this "they could have renounced their views" BS, clause III of the UN accepted definition of genocide that was provided to you:

Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part

Telling people they have to stop being Scions and renounce their religious beliefs in order to live certainly qualifies. So try again. What happened against the Scions is genocide. Denying it because Saint Arcann did it doesn't change what it was, or that it was terrible enough to turn people like Indo Zal against him.

I know that nothing anyone says here is going to make anyone stop making excuse after excuse to try to justify Arcann's behavior, so it's not an attempt to change anyone's mind - just an attempt to explain why some players are so disgusted that Arcann faced no real consequences for his actions, that letting him completely off the hook was considered LS, and that resources that could have been used to bring back vanilla companions were wasted on this.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I know I said that I wasn't going to respond but I can't let this go. It's in the video; I even gave you the time where it happened. He. Kills. Thexan.

As for genocide, he kills people because they are Scions with an intent to wipe out the order. That is genocide. And if you're going to go with this "they could have renounced their views" BS, clause III of the UN accepted definition of genocide that was provided to you:

Arcann does kill Thexan, but it's not as you described. He doesn't draw on Thexan, he draws on Valkorian; you also mentioned something about Arcann giving Thexan a hug, but seem to suggest that was a ruse to get under his guard... but no, that's not right either.

Arcann draws his lightsaber and attacks Valkorian. Thexan pulls him back with the Force.

Arcann is in a rage, and turns on Thexan. Arcann attacks, Thexan defends... but Arcann gets through Thexan's defenses.

...Arcann moves in to hug (or cradle) Thexan as he is falling, mortally wounded.

And I am disappointed I can't be "on your side here" because, I am the opposite of Arcann's biggest fan.

Of course... whenever Arcann is forced to acknowledge Thexan's death, he never admits to killing him, he always says "when Thexan dies." It's obvious he regretted killing Thexan almost immediately, but he does never admit his own guilt in the affair. Of course, it's also debatable whether Arcann drawing a lightsaber on his own father isn't something that is "wrong."

As for the genocide thing... this is a ridiculous technicality to be arguing, and I can't believe whatsisface is still clinging to it. If ordering the destruction of 5 entire worlds doesn't meet the technical grounds to be considered genocide, I can't imagine what it would take...

And I am disappointed I can't be "on your side here" because, I am the opposite of Arcann's biggest fan.

Of course... whenever Arcann is forced to acknowledge Thexan's death, he never admits to killing him, he always says "when Thexan dies." It's obvious he regretted killing Thexan almost immediately, but he does never admit his own guilt in the affair. Of course, it's also debatable whether Arcann drawing a lightsaber on his own father isn't something that is "wrong."

I think this is my overall point with this, so we are on the same side after all. Regardless of the video details - and I seem to be interpreting it differently - Arcann makes the decision to turn on Thexan and fight him in that scene instead of backing off. He still did what he did, so IMHO it doesn't matter if he's sorry. Dude still killed his twin brother and closest friend, and as you say, he never owns up to it.

Arcann is in a rage, and turns on Thexan. Arcann attacks, Thexan defends...

What you're describing is a classic definition of murder. Arcann intended to kill. It does not matter if he intended to commit patricide, all that matters is that he intended to kill. The fact that he killed someone other than his father neither mitigates nor excuses his willful act. He was a murderer. It was not an accident, it was not manslaughter.

And yes one of his war crimes is genocide.

All of this thread show just how poorly thought out the writing of FEET was. Redemption should never have meant exoneration or excusing acts. It was poor writing.

As for having a romance with the mass murderer? Go for it. But if BW is really producing and launching that tidbit of content I find it objectionable on several grounds. It applies to just those customers who did not kill Arcann and it comes at the expense of still unreturned companions (13 of whom are still MIA, including 4 of the JC companions). Return all the companions first. All of them, then launch this bit of misguided fluff.