HK-55 false advertising as of 01/07/18

Wenigo

The point (for me, anyway) isn't that I don't want people to have things they can be proud of. It's that it was rewards for loyal players who remained subscribed in a content drought, when other players bragged about unsubbing and getting the same content for much less money.

As a way to combat this, Bioware offered these rewards to the people who remained subscribed, continuing to pay for no extra content, purely to "keep the lights on". Bioware did their best to keep the items as purely cosmetic, so that the rewards didn't actually give anyone an advantage, but it was more of a badge to say "I was there".

To have these rewards taken away from us and given to the same people who bragged about "cheating" the system would be disrespectful at best.

I appreciate that you've take the time to asnwer the question in a rational way, thank you. I can understand this pov. Now, would you be opposed to them running that promotion again, under the same circumstances if they included another reward for those who alreayd have it? Sort of a thank you to the new folks for being here and keeping the sub going, and thank you to those who continue to support the game. Is there any kind of middle ground for you or is it a strictly black and white answer?

Edited by DuchessKristania

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I stepped out because it was just going in circles and no one was convincing anyone of anything. It seemed to me that it ceased being about a rational discussion and turned into nothing more than being "right." I feel that's counterproductive to the overall health of the game. Also, I decided to actually go play the game instead of just argue about it.

If you expect more than this on this forum then I would suggest changing your expectations. Rational discussion is not what you'll generally find here and it always turns into a right vs wrong fight.

All you can hope for is that between all the mess there are a few people who do make some good comments and give you something good to take away with, but a rational exchange between two people rarely goes beyond two posts here.

You could actually rename the general forum to the counterproductive forum. It would be a more appropriate name for it. I know I post a lot here myself but my expectation is not too find rational discussion here. I do hope to give a more nuanced point of view on many topics and I do get upset at how much nonsense flies by here from time to time, but it certainly isn't a surprise to me.

My view is that to tell people they get unique rewards that can only be gained in one way should be a promise they shouldn't break...ever. However, in this case actually making story content a one-time reward for subs only was a mistake. The story chapter actually concludes another story line in the game. I think it was a really unfair thing of Bioware to do this. So, I do not feel that people should get the items people got but I do think the story chapter should be made available to players. New players especially are disadvantaged here the most.

Bioware should've done different rewards but they weren't stopping people who were proud to go preferred but just overall trying to save sub numbers and they used actual story content to basically blackmail people into staying subbed. That was just dead wrong. Items fair enough, actual story content...not on.

There's my view on it.

Bioware should've done different rewards but they weren't stopping people who were proud to go preferred but just overall trying to save sub numbers and they used actual story content to basically blackmail people into staying subbed. That was just dead wrong. Items fair enough, actual story content...not on.

There's my view on it.

I can agree with the story part. I would love to play it but, whatever. I think rewards for subs is a valid and common business practice. I simply think they need to be more open to all subs by being based on time subbed than date subbed. I'd have a long way to go, but it's incentive. I do think that rewards should ABSOLUTELY be gated behind subscription. However, speaking as someone who missed the promotions, it sucks that there seems to be a promotional drought now. I actually don't mind that I didn't get x,y, or z, but it would be nice if the practice of subscriber rewards happened regularly. Sure, I'd have missed out on some stuff, but I'd be able to get the next batch. I could get more behind the dated thing even, if it was a regular occurrence.

So here's my question, what's the middle ground here?

Even if we consider a minority of a minority who prided themselves in gaming the system by getting nine chapters for the price of one, how would we determine how many of that minority of a minority (minority^3?) are still around, such that they skew the decision so much?

As for badges of "I was there", I can actually understand it... as a badge literally saying something to that effect. If they brought back companions or other sub reward items but denoted the original items people got with some sort of special tag, I would be all for it. So for example

People that got Shae Vizla/Nico/etc originally will have:

Shae Vizla/Nico/etc

<Vintage Companion>

People that get the companion now will have the standard

Shae Vizla/Nico/etc

<Your Companion>

That's how TF2 did it. And it worked out pretty well so far. You could also put a special flair on the originally acquired companion, similar to player flair. Something where it is purely cosmetic solely to say "I was there" has a case for being special for those that have it, without being overshadowed by the practical concerns of reusing assets, functionality etc.

Edited by CrutchCricket

Even if we consider a minority of a minority who prided themselves in gaming the system by getting nine chapters for the price of one, how would we determine how many of that minority of a minority (minority^3?) are still around, such that they skew the decision so much?

As for badges of "I was there", I can actually understand it... as a badge literally saying something to that effect. If they brought back companions or other sub reward items but denoted the original items people got with some sort of special tag, I would be all for it. So for example

Shae Vizla/Nico/etc

<Vintage Companion>

Shae Vizla/Nico/etc

<Your Companion>

That's how TF2 did it. And it worked out pretty well so far. You could also put a special flair on the originally acquired companion, similar to player flair. Something where it is purely cosmetic solely to say "I was there" has a case for being special for those that have it, without being overshadowed by the practical concerns of reusing assets, functionality etc.

This is an interesting suggestion. It would keep the original ewards unique while being able to reuse something. It could be a good middle ground. Essentially, the original reward would remain exclusive while satisfying the interest to game that as well.

[sNIP]

Sounds a bit of like how they do CM vehicles actually. The original gold rarity one is silver and black with bad*ss red engine glow and the silver rarity one six months later is turd brown and baby puke green with yellow highlighter engine glow. So applying CM logic* to promos, those of us that got the original promotion have the gold and black HK-55 and those that do the later swapmeet promotion get the pink and purple version.

What? You know that's how they'd do it. ;)

* Hyperbole added for effect.

Sounds a bit of like how they do CM vehicles actually. The original gold rarity one is silver and black with bad*ss red engine glow and the silver rarity one six months later is turd brown and baby puke green with yellow highlighter engine glow. So applying CM logic* to promos, those of us that got the original promotion have the gold and black HK-55 and those that do the later swapmeet promotion get the pink and purple version.

I would hope the actual appearance of the companion wasn't altered like that. Though at least with companions there's some damage control- you can change up their outfits and dye them. Can't do **** about mounts.

Shae Vizla/Nico/etc

<Vintage Companion>

Shae Vizla/Nico/etc

<Your Companion>

Alternatively, Fay Zivla and Rico Okarr could be the companions that those player who "get them now" would receive.

That would allow that distinction between when the companions were earned.

Alternatively, Fay Zivla and Rico Okarr could be the companions that those player who "get them now" would receive.

I kind of want them to do this now, those fake names make me smile

No because those are not the companions people are asking for, and more random companions would just be superfluous.

Merely adding a tag or some other way of distinguishing originally gained companions vs those same companions gained the second time around is enough to keep "specialness" for those that want it vs the companions themselves for those that want them. If what matters to you is how something was gained, this would show it.

No because those are not the companions people are asking for, and more random companions would just be superfluous.

Merely adding a tag or some other way of distinguishing originally gained companions vs those same companions gained the second time around is enough to keep "specialness" for those that want it vs the companions themselves for those that want them. If what matters to you is how something was gained, this would show it.

That and when you target a companion it just says CrutchCricket's Companion instead of a name. There would be no distinction.

Bahahaha, pink and purple HKs and the off-brand names cracked me up. Thanks, I actually really needed that. I got some bad news last night and today I'm battling the flu.

Also, look at us, having a conversation about alternatives and middle ground. I feel we are all now awesome and should be given presents. Polka-dot congeniality droids for everyone! (This cold medicine may or may not be going to my head. There's no way of knowing.)

That and when you target a companion it just says CrutchCricket's Companion instead of a name. There would be no distinction.

Pretty sure it still says their name. Or is that the "type"? I.E.

CrutchCricket's Companion

Level 70 Kira Karsen

Hmm. Better go with the flair idea then. Unless they can add a Vintage tag under that or something. Or change the type.

Level 70 Shae Vizla (Vintage)

vs

Level 70 Shae Vizla

Edited by CrutchCricket

Pretty sure it still says their name. Or is that the "type"? I.E.

CrutchCricket's Companion

Level 70 Kira Karsen

Hmm. Better go with the flair idea then. Unless they can add a Vintage tag under that or something. Or change the type.

Level 70 Shae Vizla (Vintage)

vs

Level 70 Shae Vizla

Let's say they did something like adding tags--I would prefer the tags stay off the originals. The reward being given out a second time should have tags, not the other way around. Giving the rewards out again should in no way, shape, or form alter anything for the people who did it originally.

Let's say they did something like adding tags--I would prefer the tags stay off the originals. The reward being given out a second time should have tags, not the other way around. Giving the rewards out again should in no way, shape, or form alter anything for the people who did it originally.

Makes sense to me.

Fair enough. The new ones getting tags might be something like

Level 70 Shae Visla

vs

Level 70 Shae Vizla (reclaimed).

Either way, so long as the actual content of the companion (name, looks, stats, conversations etc) is unchanged, the tagging could go either way.

If they went with the flair idea I think the originals should get it though. Seems more prestige-y and since we're going for specialness here...

I can agree with the story part. I would love to play it but, whatever. I think rewards for subs is a valid and common business practice. I simply think they need to be more open to all subs by being based on time subbed than date subbed. I'd have a long way to go, but it's incentive. I do think that rewards should ABSOLUTELY be gated behind subscription. However, speaking as someone who missed the promotions, it sucks that there seems to be a promotional drought now. I actually don't mind that I didn't get x,y, or z, but it would be nice if the practice of subscriber rewards happened regularly. Sure, I'd have missed out on some stuff, but I'd be able to get the next batch. I could get more behind the dated thing even, if it was a regular occurrence.

So here's my question, what's the middle ground here?

Like I said. I think it's fair that the HK items we got are a done deal and you can't get them anymore unless you were there.

The HK story chapter however should be made available to anyone who subbed x amount of months since it came out.

Perhaps Bioware can come up with another reward to compensate the players who were loyal enough at that time but again it should be something that isn't story content.

Also do mind that I am one of the players who has the HK chapter, so don't think I'm biased on the matter and am just crying to get something. I have it and I did what was required for it, but I think it's wrong to have story content in a story driven game that most players today do not have access to. I just do not understand that other than Bioware clutching at straws back then to keep people subbed.

I get it, I dropped my sub right before kotet and lost out on some stuff I would like to have. I just dont understand the HK thing...I mean I would understand if it was about the chapter with Zoom because it is story. But for an HK unit, which you can get another one from questing the parts, and he is the original....

Oh, there have been plenty of threads here from people who would like to be able to play the Arma Rasa and Shroud of Memory missions that go with HK-55 and Zoom. And there's been the same sort of outcry from those who seem to equate saying, "Wow, that chapter looks really interesting, and I would like to have a chance to play it" with "whining," "crying," and "feeling entitled." Apparently expressing any interest in experiencing this chapter means you deserve to be poked with pitchforks because you're a "whiner."

As far as I'm concerned, those missions are what I'd really like, more than the actual HK-55 companion. We are so starved for content right now, and there's an enticing little bit of it just wasting away in the vaults.

I do agree with others here that the same requirements should be completed. If they reopened the promotion and people had to subscribe for the exact same length of time, they'd be fulfilling the same task. Since SWTOR seems to be losing a lot of players at the moment, they'd also arguably be doing a lot to keep the lights on, too.

If I had my way, this is what I would do....

New event, stay subscribed from month one to month nine, contiguous, here are the rewards every month...

Month one - three: 200 bonus CC each month

Month four - six: 200 bonus coins each month and choice of one of eight armor sets from Level 60 token on sixth month

Month seven - nine: 200 bonus coins each month and choice of one of eight armor sets from Level 65 token on ninth month

All armor sets are level one legacy adaptive with one armor mod installed

PLUS

HK-55 and mission access for those that did not qualify originally

HK-55 armor set that makes you look EXACTLY like HK-55 and special title for those that already qualified

The HK-55 armor set would be level one legacy adaptive with an armor mod installed that provided a 50 percent boost in XP/CXP gain.

Edited by LordArtemis

If I had my way, this is what I would do....

New event, stay subscribed from month one to month nine, contiguous, here are the rewards every month...

Month one - three: 200 bonus CC each month

Month four - six: 200 bonus coins each month and choice of one of eight armor sets from Level 60 token on sixth month

Month seven - nine: 200 bonus coins each month and choice of one of eight armor sets from Level 65 token on ninth month

All armor sets are level one legacy adaptive with one armor mod installed

PLUS

HK-55 and mission access for those that did not qualify originally

HK-55 armor set that makes you look EXACTLY like HK-55 and special title for those that already qualified

The HK-55 armor set would be level one legacy adaptive with an armor mod installed that provided a 50 percent boost in XP/CXP gain.

Then watch for all the threads for people complaining that they didn't get the HK-55 armour and title

Edited by CrazyCT

Then watch for all the threads for people complaining that they didn't get the HK-55 armour and title

There really aren't a lot of threads about not getting the other rewards, are there? Every now and then I see someone asking how to get Shae or Master Ranos, but nobody's going on about it. Nico, Shae, Master Ranos, Darth Hexid now...none of them have had the same level of interest as HK-55, and IMHO that's entirely because it's a story chapter that could be played. It's not about the 'thing' for many players; it's about playing that bit of story.

There really aren't a lot of threads about not getting the other rewards, are there?

Maybe you've got a different forum from me.

Every now and then I see someone asking how to get Shae or Master Ranos, but nobody's going on about it. Nico, Shae, Master Ranos, Darth Hexid now...none of them have had the same level of interest as HK-55, and IMHO that's entirely because it's a story chapter that could be played. It's not about the 'thing' for many players; it's about playing that bit of story.

It doesn't matter what it is - People will come on here and complain about how they didn't get it, and beg to be given another chance.

Maybe you've got a different forum from me.

I doubt it - I've never seen nearly the amount of people asking for Shae, Ranos, etc. as for HK-55. Even the other droid companion you get from that chapter, Zoom - has anyone been asking for her even in this thread? Nope.

Also remember that unlike the others, HK-55 is a character/companion that EVERYONE has for a portion of the story, that currently is taken away from all players but is only given back to some. In that light, it's not that much different than people pleading to bring back a vanilla companion that is still lost.

TBH the request threads that my suggestion might create, if it was implemented as suggested does not concern me.

What concerns me is putting butts in the seats, so to speak.

The question, naturally, is whether or not folks would accept the secondary reward mentioned if they already unlocked HK-55 and the mission, or, if not, what type of reward would they seek?

Edited by LordArtemis

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.