HK-55 false advertising as of 01/07/18

Wenigo

I think Bioware should give other players a chance at getting any sub rewards that they missed out on, I don't have HK-55 and I would like to have him, if most of you people don't like that then you're just being self-entitled jerks, there's nothing wrong with other players getting something that they missed out on, it won't ruin your subscription, it'll just give other players a chance to get a sub reward that they were hoping to get but didn't get to it in time, any of you saying that giving out sub rewards again will ruin the game are being ridiculous, it won't stop anyone from being a sub since being a sub grants many benefits, such as free access to expansion packs, so stop being so self-entitled, stop trying to convince Bioware to not give us another chance to get HK-55 and stop bullying other players who want to have something that you have!

If they were to offer prior rewards, what would like you see? Some kind of structured reward system based on sub time or a cartel market item?

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She doesn't speak for me either. I'm fine with knock-offs and re-skins. Leave the originals to the people who earned them when they were supposed to.

I find this silly and kind of stupid only because what's the point?

If it's not Shae Vizla or Niko or HK-55, then it's not the real thing. It might look similar, but us vets who stayed loyal would know Bioware got stupid and did this just for the monies.

I feel bad for newbies who won't have the above, but older players who didn't get them because they didn't keep their sub going? No.

But that's me. I like to have EXCLUSIVE items mean something.

I kinda changed my mind about this. I did the HK 51 quest for the first time and got the thing, and now I'm okay with it.

One of the problems I've noticed in HK's dialogue from when he first showed up in KOTOR to now, is that each incarnation is hammier and hammier. The first two single player KOTORs he had pretty great lines, but whether it's the aging VA or just fanservice, he's less and less amusing from the Foundry FP on. I found his dialogue in the first part of KOTFE, particularly the Endless Swamp, to be just excruciating to listen to. It almost sounds like he's trying to put on an imperial accent. I cheered when he got blown up.

So no, HK-51 is enough HK for me. On imp characters he sounds like the Imp equivalent of M14X, which is entertaining but not really HK at all.

If they were to offer prior rewards, what would like you see? Some kind of structured reward system based on sub time or a cartel market item?

No idea about dat guy but....

I Would really prefer it on a timeline structured reward system, like Runescape does with its capes, you wait 5 years for one cap, 10 for another, etc. etc. Its more rewarding to the player base and looks less like a quick buck being cashed in or a cash grab. Very simple... you sub for 6 months, just like you did originally and you're graced access to that amazing hk-55 and Zo-0m chapter.

Im not sure a tag would work in this situation. Could you elaborate on what you mean? Because if I understand your meaning would that not screw up the current mission in place?

The tag was my idea. I posted it several times. Perhaps you didn't see it.

Anyway, the idea is just giving either the original generation or the re-released one the equivalent of a legacy title or flair or something in their description/hover over card that denotes whether they were obtained in the initial reward period or afterwards. That way, even though it's the same companion/item/whatever those who got it the first time can still differentiate themselves and maintain some token "special" status (I don't personally get it, but it's important enough to go on about for years so clearly there's something to it for some people).

This shouldn't interfere with any quests because it's essentially metadata on the reward object.

The tag was my idea. I posted it several times. Perhaps you didn't see it.

Anyway, the idea is just giving either the original generation or the re-released one the equivalent of a legacy title or flair or something in their description/hover over card that denotes whether they were obtained in the initial reward period or afterwards. That way, even though it's the same companion/item/whatever those who got it the first time can still differentiate themselves and maintain some token "special" status (I don't personally get it, but it's important enough to go on about for years so clearly there's something to it for some people).

This shouldn't interfere with any quests because it's essentially metadata on the reward object.

Legacy title or flair sounds interesting. That is something that would be fairly easy to implement. That combined with a reskin might do the trick.

The reskin could also have some appeal to folks that have finished this content in the past, as it would give them an alternate look.

I think additional tags on companions isn't a bad idea... it makes the original companions fancier... and differentiates companions bought later.

Like, an original sub reward HK-55 would be tagged (and I suggested this before) Dr. Oggurubs Finest Creation. But, an HK-55 earned after the fact would be flagged "Alliance Refurb."

...at the same time, my perception has shifted a bit. I still don't agree that the promotions were ever a promise that these rewards would be exclusive. But... I do see that making these comps available after the fact does throw a wrench into the value of the Bonus Reward model that EA/Bioware uses to bolster subs for their content drought or quarterly number periods. At the same time... I'd still like to see these be available.

So... I'm thinking...

• Tagged to differentiate original vs. re-release
  • Time locked; these items will go into the store... but not until long after they were given as rewards.
  • Considerably more expensive than "basic" cartel items of a similar nature.

...the time limit is probably already past for HK-55, regardless of what that was, because that comp was released over a year ago.

...initially, I felt that if a Personal Warbot was 2100 CC, then Shae Vizla (whoever) should be sold at 2500 or so. Now... I'm thinking that's low. 3000 CC at least, maybe as much as 4500. For the Sub Reward to mean something... people really need to see that staying subbed and getting the reward for FREE is a significant bonus.

I think they should give out any prior rewards with the sub time, that way people can get the reward for free if they're subbed, and once the sub time is up, they put the reward on the cartel market, that way people still have a chance at getting it but they would have to pay for it, it would be very fair for everyone imo!

Legacy title or flair sounds interesting. That is something that would be fairly easy to implement. That combined with a reskin might do the trick.

The reskin could also have some appeal to folks that have finished this content in the past, as it would give them an alternate look.

A forced reskin again misses the point. See my previous posts for why. Unless you mean an extra companion customization. I could see some nitpicker still making a case that that particular look should still not be exclusive vs. what's really a tangible effect to gameplay vs simply arbitrary appearance... I think the argument would just get too petty at that point so I won't go down that hole.

But... I do see that making these comps available after the fact does throw a wrench into the value of the Bonus Reward model that EA/Bioware uses to bolster subs for their content drought or quarterly number periods. At the same time... I'd still like to see these be available.

It doesn't though. Again, the possibility (key word, not certainty) that a reward will come again does not detract from the fact that this is not a guarantee. Nor does it answer all the time lost if one does wait for the second chance. Consider any direct sale item on the CM. I saw the Satele Shan set on sale last night. I immediately bought some CC and bought it. Is it going to come around again, possibly when I have CC accrued and thus I didn't need to spend additional money? Seems like a fair bet. Did I want to take that chance? Nope. Also I wanted it then, not later. I'll also add that the armor set in question wasn't super high on my list. I like the look of the tunic, but everything else is meh. Point is, the impulse buy is real. As are recurring limited time promotions.

So... maybe products like HK-55 should only be in the Cartel Market intermittently. Shows up for direct sale, one week only, once in a while. Because, I definitely think that there is some legitimacy to the idea that if people who are unsubscribing during content droughts might be compelled to maintain a sub to get a shiny... might not bother if they are certain they'll be able to buy anything they missed if they really want it.

Like... me. Right now. I'm definitely feeling the content drought; there's nothing to do right now that I haven't already done. I don't have any real reason to log in at all. The new content we just got was a joke... waiting around for more of the same doesn't exactly compel me to maintain my subscription. If they offered something GOOD to keep me around for the next, say, 6 months... right now... I dunno. I'm seriously thinking about unsubscribing... and I'm skeptical as to whether I'd return. I just don't know that a shiny reward would keep me around... especially if I know that, if I come back ( if ) and I actually regret missing out... I can just buy it... does that really keep me subbed? I don't think it does.

This exchange, in the Suggestion forums...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=9523803&postcount=166

...between me and PorsaLindahl is where I changed my mind on the thought. I'd previously been in a very solid "just put the stuff in the Cartel Market, and call it a day" kinda school of thought. But, this discussion actually (sadly?) opened my eyes to where Ratajack, PetFish, et al, have a point... exclusivity was never promised, but making those items less exclusive does make them less useful tools to retain sub numbers.

So... maybe products like HK-55 should only be in the Cartel Market intermittently. Shows up for direct sale, one week only, once in a while. Because, I definitely think that there is some legitimacy to the idea that if people who are unsubscribing during content droughts might be compelled to maintain a sub to get a shiny... might not bother if they are certain they'll be able to buy anything they missed if they really want it.

Like... me. Right now. I'm definitely feeling the content drought; there's nothing to do right now that I haven't already done. I don't have any real reason to log in at all. The new content we just got was a joke... waiting around for more of the same doesn't exactly compel me to maintain my subscription. If they offered something GOOD to keep me around for the next, say, 6 months... right now... I dunno. I'm seriously thinking about unsubscribing... and I'm skeptical as to whether I'd return. I just don't know that a shiny reward would keep me around... especially if I know that, if I come back ( if ) and I actually regret missing out... I can just buy it... does that really keep me subbed? I don't think it does.

Except you don't know you can buy it. You hope, you assume maybe. But you don't know. And I know that discussion you reference. I was there. The scope of that was a repeatable, sustainable reward system. Remember what the counterpoint was? Even though you might be able to buy a past shiny, you may have to make a choice between buying it or a new shiny that happens to catch your eye. So maybe the general take away is that straight up CC direct sale might be too easy for some cases, but that's a far leap to "it must now stay buried forever". Again, limited time promotions that come back happen all the time. Nothing is different here.

• 2 weeks later...

I do think that BIoware has struggled with the idea of presented a structured reward system to subscribers. They have offered rewards in the past, clearly, but those rewards have varied greatly in substance and presentation, with little structure IMO.

It is rare that a reward was presented with "sub for this time" or "participate here" to get something, and usually the reward offered was a temporary thing.

I would like to see a more regimented reward system that rewards total amount of time subscribed, and only offers those rewards to those that are subscribed when they collect them.

As for the mission and HK...well, I think I have made my thoughts clear on that issue.