Juggernaut/Guardian

clocknane

The steps needed to be taken before asking for a valid nerf:

1. Play the spec that you consider OP, see if you can be as OP with it, once you get the gear (gear should be easy enough if you already have 1 geared main, assuming you were smart enough to put the augs in a legacy gear, you can transfer most the gear between all classes who play same role, leaving only set bonus and a minimal good left side do be at approx the same level, and see if you hac be 80% as OP as the guy(s) who made you think this is OP.

2. If you managed to be OP with it, far better than you are with other classes, fine. If you didn't, ask a guy who you consider OP what utilities and stats does he use. Most players are nice enough to answer these questions as they feel complimented by them. Another option you will understand alone how the thing(s) you considered OP can be countered because you got countered when trying to use them. [For example, the key to killing concealments is to root them so they can't roll, and a stun while they dodge or when they will miss the refreshing of their probes can also be helpful]

3. If the tips or trying to execute the tips made you realize how partial your previous understanding was and how things are more complicated than they seemed [For many reasons: it is harder to be as defensive/bursty without sacrificing many DCDs or sacrificing damage or having real-life lightning reflexes, or it is easy to counter these defensives/offensives in ways you didn't know or didn't think of], then again the spec/class/ability isn't OP. If you do feel OP far more than you have with other classes, it means you either finally got skill [Nobody be offended! there is no quote on this post, this is generally speaking], or you just found your playstyle or you are right about the thing being OP.

Never even think of making a thread without getting past step 3 (or a lucky step 2), and of course, never ever even start step 1 for seeing 1 OP man. After all there are a few players who can play pyrotech as if it was OP ;)

Edited by Rafiknoll

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jugs are trash, mid tier at best. PTs can also get high damage in 8 v 8 it is just trash AOE DMG on crappy players who group together and don’t bother to stun or interrupt. if a jugg or guardian is getting top DPS then that just means there are a ton of shii$&ers in that particular WZ

Jugs are trash, mid tier at best. PTs can also get high damage in 8 v 8 it is just trash AOE DMG on crappy players who group together and don’t bother to stun or interrupt. if a jugg or guardian is getting top DPS then that just means there are a ton of shii$&ers in that particular WZ

That is a complete load of rubbish. Only good players are getting high numbers. Maybe it’s just you :rolleyes:

You think they are in tank spec you said. Does that mean you don’t know for sure ? Well then best to find out first before posting.

Now tanks normally (unless exceptional aoe heavy game ) will not top the dmg chart. If they do then other dds in the match are inexperienced. Decent tank with correct gear will average 3.5 to 4K dps during normal wz. This should be beaten by decent dd players. Of course depending on the match. So maybe if you see Guardians topping dmg it will likely be Vigilnce with ez and good dot spread. Same player will always do more dmg on Vigilance then tank.

Another thing is that there are dd classes that have arguably better survivability then tanks say Merc and Sniper and maybe Mara too.

Also I would think about the mad term skantank. If they are doing the tanking then they should be called tanks regardless of the gear they use. Quite frankly that’s the viable gear to do tanking so ppl use it. Term could only be applied to dd playing like tank.

Tanking involves taunting, guarding, providing dmg reduction, peeling, applying trauma, interrupting healer, applying slow to control the area, ccing targets and surprisingly doing damage to help get a kill. If someone is doing that and plays a tank tree they are a tank regardless of the gear.

I mean tanks have big guns that go boom. Not just armor.

Unfortunately mandos now have the big gun and armor so theyre kinda the skank tanks.

Edited by RACATW

Jugg fluff is no different from the endless amounts of fluff that come from Annhilation, Madness, Hatred, Virulence, Lethality, or IO. There are times when AOEs/Dot spreads are the best choice of attack. Guarding a door so no one will plant bombs on, 4 attackers come, what are you going to do, ST each of them while the others plant a bomb? You shouldn't use AOES to stop attackers from taking your teams node?

I understand what you are saying in the big picture, I'm not a big fan of dot spreaders, it's a bit to easy and because it inflates numbers at times, and I have always thought it would be a good idea if they added a cateogory in the WZ end board that showed how much of the total damage done by a player was AOE/DoTs to prevent people from talking shyt like some of them do and to shine a light on those who simply look for large concentrations of enemy to throw dots on even if they are not a threat at the moment or to an objective.

Fluff damage, burst damage, dead is dead. And just because damage comes from a DOT doesn't mean it doesnt need to be healed. Fluff damage taxes healers. If you have self heals of your own that's one thing, but when you don't damage from fluff adds up

Juggs are one of the few respectable classes in this game, and much like Marauders, they have to earn every point of damage they do while at risk [never not being in attack range of some enemy. The only jugg that does unreasonable amounts of AOE/DOTs are Skank Tanks. In ranked they have issues, in regs they are tough as all hell in a skilled players hands and they can do some sick damage. If you think that the only way a Jugg can take the top spot is because everyone else was a shyter, than I question your credentials and would ask what game you are PVPing in. As a Marauder, sometimes I beat them, sometimes I don't.. Tell me to L2P.

Until such a time as you are willing to put up WZ screenies showing your utter masterful skill and performance and how clearly you are surrounded by 'plebs', stop calling people shyters if you're not gonna back it up.

All melee is 'trash tier' [relatively speaking] in this meta. It's a ranged meta in case you hadn't noticed.

Jerk off.

Jugg fluff is no different from the endless amounts of fluff that come from Annhilation, Madness, Hatred, Virulence, Lethality, or IO. There are times when AOEs/Dot spreads are the best choice of attack. Guarding a door so no one will plant bombs on, 4 attackers come, what are you going to do, ST each of them while the others plant a bomb? You shouldn't use AOES to stop attackers from taking your teams node?

I understand what you are saying in the big picture, I'm not a big fan of dot spreaders, it's a bit to easy and because it inflates numbers at times, and I have always thought it would be a good idea if they added a cateogory in the WZ end board that showed how much of the total damage done by a player was AOE/DoTs to prevent people from talking shyt like some of them do and to shine a light on those who simply look for large concentrations of enemy to throw dots on even if they are not a threat at the moment or to an objective.

Fluff damage, burst damage, dead is dead. And just because damage comes from a DOT doesn't mean it doesnt need to be healed. Fluff damage taxes healers. If you have self heals of your own that's one thing, but when you don't damage from fluff adds up

Juggs are one of the few respectable classes in this game, and much like Marauders, they have to earn every point of damage they do while at risk [never not being in attack range of some enemy. The only jugg that does unreasonable amounts of AOE/DOTs are Skank Tanks. In ranked they have issues, in regs they are tough as all hell in a skilled players hands and they can do some sick damage. If you think that the only way a Jugg can take the top spot is because everyone else was a shyter, than I question your credentials and would ask what game you are PVPing in. As a Marauder, sometimes I beat them, sometimes I don't.. Tell me to L2P.

Until such a time as you are willing to put up WZ screenies showing your utter masterful skill and performance and how clearly you are surrounded by 'plebs', stop calling people shyters if you're not gonna back it up.

All melee is 'trash tier' [relatively speaking] in this meta. It's a ranged meta in case you hadn't noticed.

Jerk off.

I think I love you right now 😘

I play juggernaut (vengeance) as my main, since this game launched in 2011.

I guess this is the reason why I usually do well in warzones, not because of my class.

ps: Never switch to a FOTM class when one gets buffed. You will lose skill with your main. Maybe this will help.

Edited by EduardoJN

I play juggernaut (vengeance) as my main, since this game launched in 2011.

I guess this is the reason why I usually do well in warzones, not because of my class.

ps: Never switch to a FOTM class when one gets buffed. You will lose skill with your main. Maybe this will help.

And if your main becomes FOTM, switch classes so your higher skills don’t make the class look too OP and Bioware nerf it with a nuke and it’s not viable again for 3 years :o

Edited by TrixxieTriss

And if your main becomes FOTM, switch classes so your higher skills don’t make the class look too OP and Bioware nerf it with a nuke and it’s not viable again for 3 years :o

Unfortunatelly this happens a lot.

There's always room for improvement in this game. It was completely broken beyond hope when it launched in 2011 (when I started doing pvp and illum was a big deal when it came to level your valor rank). So I understand valid and constructive criticism.

But for the most part, people complain too much.

Playing pvp involves a series of issues, like skill gap, gear, teamwork, healing, tanking, etc.

I see people complaining that they enter a 5 vs 1 fight and don't come out alive, so they start asking for nerfs.

Just remember that this game is not na FPS, where a player can be a one man army.

If I jump into a 5 vs 1 situation, I usually burn all my defensive cooldowns to last as long as possible, and I do it just for the sake of distraction, so the team can acomplish something.

Immortal spec is the tank spec for Juggs. An "Immortal tank" is a jugg tank. It's not a quip.

This is exactly the problem with people who complain about "skank" tanks. They literally have no clue. They just see the damage at the end of a warzone, and confuse it with dps. They see 5 people beating on a tank, and assume the tank is always that tough, even though the tank is burning all his dcds while these five idiots ignore objectives. These people cluster in the same spot so the tank just uses his cleave and hits all 5 of them for 20k, when all they had to do was spread out so most of them could of avoided it.

If you don't know what you're talking about, and don't even bother to learn what is actually going on, then whats the point of even posting a request for balancing the situation?

About this time last year, I wrote up a post about asking for nerfs for mercs, by toning down trauma regulators and energy rebounder. See how specific that is? Know why that is specific? Because I researched the issues, I played the class, and I learned exactly what I was talking about.

Learn the game before asking for balance.

Did you even read my other posts?!? I am aware immortal is a tank spec, hence me saying they roll that spec and basically aug dps or wear dps gear, hence the term skank tank.

The term "immortal" is used figuratively here, meaning they can take on 5 guys at a time like tanks, which I have ZERO issues with. Skank tank meaning they roll into a tank spec/advanced class, but socket dps augs, and put on DPS gear which I HAVE MAJOR issue with. I am not talking about a Jedi Guardian Rolling Vig or focus which is DPS, or a Sith Jugg rolling Vengeance or Rage which is DPS, I am talking specificly about those who roll Immortal or Defense, and use DPS gear/DPS augs.

Here, how is this for specificity; Jedi Guardian = Defense mirroring Sith Jugg = Immortal spec. Again, these two are the main classes I see in warzones using skank tank. They roll the defensive adv class, but socket augs and gear for DPS spec.

You seem to be confusing aoe with ST. I am not speaking of AoE. I understand the damage output an AOE (Focus or Rage) based Guard/Jugg can put out. It is AOE! I am talking about the mitigation and damage output even when they roll Immortal or Defense and socket dps augs along with dps gear from a st standpoint. 1v1'ing them as melee is next to impossible. Ranged can kite them well enough.

Edited by clocknane

LOL... :rolleyes:

Did you even read my other posts?!? I am aware immortal is a tank spec, hence me saying they roll that spec and basically aug dps or wear dps gear, hence the term skank tank.

The term "immortal" is used figuratively here, meaning they can take on 5 guys at a time like tanks, which I have ZERO issues with. Skank tank meaning they roll into a tank spec/advanced class, but socket dps augs, and put on DPS gear which I HAVE MAJOR issue with. I am not talking about a Jedi Guardian Rolling Vig or focus which is DPS, or a Sith Jugg rolling Vengeance or Rage which is DPS, I am talking specificly about those who roll Immortal or Defense, and use DPS gear/DPS augs.

Here, how is this for specificity; Jedi Guardian = Defense mirroring Sith Jugg = Immortal spec. Again, these two are the main classes I see in warzones using skank tank. They roll the defensive adv class, but socket augs and gear for DPS spec.

You seem to be confusing aoe with ST. I am not speaking of AoE. I understand the damage output an AOE (Focus or Rage) based Guard/Jugg can put out. It is AOE! I am talking about the mitigation and damage output even when they roll Immortal or Defense and socket dps augs along with dps gear from a st standpoint. 1v1'ing them as melee is next to impossible. Ranged can kite them well enough.

Just for the record, that is exactly how your post came across to me when I read it, they way you just described, I found no confusion in the intent or message. Furthermore -

I am Grim, and I support this message. =p

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

I think you do have a lot of major issues too, but lets stick to SWTOR.

The damage a skank does, at the end of a match, is mostly cleaves, which is a form of AOE. That is what is confusing you. Skank tanks all have one good aoe, on a 10-16 second cooldown, and then single target filler that doesn't do much in between.

When you add that with the fact that skank tanks aren't a priority to be targeted, cced, or shut down, (unless there is a cordinated tank tunnel) the numbers at the end of the match are deceptive. The numbers you see at the end of the match are not single target damage for a skank tank, and it isn't indicative of raw DPS either.

I get top damage in a warzone alot on my skank tank. But when you hover the tooltip over the damage, you'd see that my actual dps was probably 70% of the dps of the person below me. Even with the cleaves.

Until you can actually understand why that is, you're not even worth talking to in the context of class balance. Just leaving this comment here in the hopes that one person not frothing at the mouth might actually consider that there is more to the situation.

I see people complaining that they enter a 5 vs 1 fight and don't come out alive, so they start asking for nerfs.

Just remember that this game is not na FPS, where a player can be a one man army.

If I jump into a 5 vs 1 situation, I usually burn all my defensive cooldowns to last as long as possible, and I do it just for the sake of distraction, so the team can acomplish something.

That is so true. I’ll happily delay, distract, take them on a Merry ride so my team has a numbers advantage while 5 of them pound away on me. I’ll even apply some of my ranged LoS skills on my Jugg to delay them more.

If we need a node and my guys are struggling, I will go pressure their off node and get their guard to panick and scream INC and then half their team comes running and sometimes I’ll actually run when I see them to make them chase me for as long as possible,

About 3-4 days ago I went to pressure a node against two Mara’s guarding in Yavin. I killed one, then the other and then nearly got the first one again by myself after he respawned. It would have been a great triple solo, but one of my guys rocked up and got one killing blow on that last guy and wrecked it :(

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I think you do have a lot of major issues too, but lets stick to SWTOR.

The damage a skank does, at the end of a match, is mostly cleaves, which is a form of AOE. That is what is confusing you. Skank tanks all have one good aoe, on a 10-16 second cooldown, and then single target filler that doesn't do much in between.

When you add that with the fact that skank tanks aren't a priority to be targeted, cced, or shut down, (unless there is a cordinated tank tunnel) the numbers at the end of the match are deceptive. The numbers you see at the end of the match are not single target damage for a skank tank, and it isn't indicative of raw DPS either.

I get top damage in a warzone alot on my skank tank. But when you hover the tooltip over the damage, you'd see that my actual dps was probably 70% of the dps of the person below me. Even with the cleaves.

Until you can actually understand why that is, you're not even worth talking to in the context of class balance. Just leaving this comment here in the hopes that one person not frothing at the mouth might actually consider that there is more to the situation.

I don't think there is much confusion going on here, most people [certainly Trixxie among them] are fully aware that a lot of that damage is from cleaves/AOE damage. Add the survivability of a tank to those numbers, and it makes perfect sense why it is happening. Why, is not the issue however, that it does at all is. Many WZs and even Arenas make it so they are rife with opporttunities to use cleaves and aoes, because the very nature of the map or objective ensures high and close concentraitions of enemy players. So the skank tank is not going to be wanting for opportunties to use those cleaves, they will be thrown in the skank's lap.

The lethality of damage is not based on origin. A cleave, an AOE, a DoT, are not "less lethal forms of damage", they are equally lethal. - Someone with 5 k health left will die just as easily from a 10k cleave or a 7 k DOT as they will from a 20k VT. A falling building would be considered "AOE damage", is that a mitigating factor for the people on the street below, do you think?

Tanks shouldn't be capable of putting out that kind of damage, period. Just like mercs shouldn't be able to have the kind of heal potentials they do as a DPS spec.

Everyone knows why there are so many skank tanks and not many people blame them for it. If tanking stats are useless and they gain by using DPS stats instead, it would be very hard to think someone was wrong for taking that route. As understandable as it is, doesn't make it any less broken. Skank tanks are role breaking, I don't blame you for playing one as conditions are, but they aren't balanced, they do too much damage for a tank spec.

That's not your fault, that's BW's fault.

I don't think there is much confusion going on here, most people [certainly Trixxie among them] are fully aware that a lot of that damage is from cleaves/AOE damage. Add the survivability of a tank to those numbers, and it makes perfect sense why it is happening. Why, is not the issue however, that it does at all is. Many WZs and even Arenas make it so they are rife with opporttunities to use cleaves and aoes, because the very nature of the map or objective ensures high and close concentraitions of enemy players. So the skank tank is not going to be wanting for opportunties to use those cleaves, they will be thrown in the skank's lap.

The lethality of damage is not based on origin. A cleave, an AOE, a DoT, are not "less lethal forms of damage", they are equally lethal. - Someone with 5 k health left will die just as easily from a 10k cleave or a 7 k DOT as they will from a 20k VT. A falling building would be considered "AOE damage", is that a mitigating factor for the people on the street below, do you think?

Tanks shouldn't be capable of putting out that kind of damage, period. Just like mercs shouldn't be able to have the kind of heal potentials they do as a DPS spec.

Everyone knows why there are so many skank tanks and not many people blame them for it. If tanking stats are useless and they gain by using DPS stats instead, it would be very hard to think someone was wrong for taking that route. As understandable as it is, doesn't make it any less broken. Skank tanks are role breaking, I don't blame you for playing one as conditions are, but they aren't balanced, they do too much damage for a tank spec.

That's not your fault, that's BW's fault.

This exactly.

As anyone who has read these forums in the last year or so should know, I despise skanking but do it because of this.

I realize it's no defense really, but the overwhelming majority of the "wah I'm squishy i'm going to skank" players have no idea how to play a tank to be even slightly annoying, so all you get out of them is half a dps.

I am particularly opposed to nerfing damage because of PVE. Nerfing guardian slash would nerf one of my primary means of gaining aggro. The rest of the aoe abilities (cyclone slash, force sweep, freezing force) are not nearly as powerful.

This exactly.

As anyone who has read these forums in the last year or so should know, I despise skanking but do it because of this.

I realize it's no defense really, but the overwhelming majority of the "wah I'm squishy i'm going to skank" players have no idea how to play a tank to be even slightly annoying, so all you get out of them is half a dps.

I am particularly opposed to nerfing damage because of PVE. Nerfing guardian slash would nerf one of my primary means of gaining aggro. The rest of the aoe abilities (cyclone slash, force sweep, freezing force) are not nearly as powerful.

You don't ever need to explain yourself on that front. You're as stand up as they come.

This could simply be just another instance of BW making a situation wherein what's okay/necessary in PVE doesn't work for PVP. If they need that kind of damage on certain attacks to hold aggro in PVE than it would be hard to argue nerfing the damage simply because it's too much for PVP. Damned if you do, damned lf you don't kinda dealy. You have to consider both modes of play and that's totally reasonable.

If that's the case than they need to work the balance out in some other fashion, screwing over PVE to fix something for PVP isn't an acceptable option IMO.

P.S. Buff Guardian Slash!! =p

I haven’t run into one of these mythical jugg skin tanks that do great damage in about 5 years same for pt but I only do about 50 war zones a week

Perhaps you should look at the wz results at the end of the match because that's what's telling.

Whether or not the damage is considered high by DPSer standard, they nonetheless do a lot more damage than a non-DPS role should be able to. It's a hybrid by any standard and role breaking.

Again, I don't think many people blame anyone for skank tanking in PVP due to the tank stats not being on par in their effects as they are in PVE. That being the case, it's unfair to tanks that is the situation. People should be able play thier true tank mains in PVP as true tanks without it being a detriment. I personally don't see skank tanks on par with Mercs or Sniper kind of OP, I think to most people it's that they are role-breaking that is the main point of contention. It's kinda like the issue with Mercs, they may not be doing more heals than a healer, but nonetheless it's too much healing for a DPS role, especially considering that there are some DPS specs that have little to no self healing.

These kinds of things cause class/spec imbalances and dilute the intended aspects of the Trinity -

"The Trinity of Core Roles

One common design in MMORPGs is the "holy trinity" of class roles: Tank, Healer, and DPS (or damage dealers). As most games are about combat, these roles are about how damage is handled: Tanks can mitigate incoming damage from enemies, healers restore damage done from enemies, and DPS classes do damage to enemies.

Characters often require specialization: a superb healing class may not be able to do good damage without a significant change that hurts healing ability, or they will often not want to do damage because they need to save their resources for healing others. This trinity of classes forms the basis for most group-based encounters in a game."

Thought this overview of the trinity concept might be appropriate to this discussion.

This exactly.

It’s understandable why tanks will spec like this because the gear stats for tanking are broken.

But I don’t understand why DPS Juggs switch to tank spec so they can Skank? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

I’m doing great on my Rage Jugg at the moment.

What makes matters worse is people telling prospective Jugg players to roll a skank, which is ludicrous if you want to play DPS.

I certainly don’t think Jugg tank dps should be nerfed, especially for pve. But what they could do is actually make tank stats work in pvp and at the same time add a debuff if a tank specs dps gear stats go over a certain threshold. That would be the simplest way to end people’s obsession with skanks.

It’s understandable why tanks will spec like this because the gear stats for tanking are broken.

But I don’t understand why DPS Juggs switch to tank spec so they can Skank? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

I’m doing great on my Rage Jugg at the moment.

What makes matters worse is people telling prospective Jugg players to roll a skank, which is ludicrous if you want to play DPS.

I certainly don’t think Jugg tank dps should be nerfed, especially for pve. But what they could do is actually make tank stats work in pvp and at the same time add a debuff if a tank specs dps gear stats go over a certain threshold. That would be the simplest way to end people’s obsession with skanks.

I've been a tank main for years, but I swapped to dps for pvp after the 5.0 guard to dps specs thing.

I swapped back after an absolutely miserable hypergates after the sorc healer nerf where I died literally 10-15 times due to being the obvious focus target. Say what you want, dps guardian under any sort of focus = smoosh.

To me this is due to the playstyle of the class: regardless of spec, we are supposed to be the "in your face, take a beating as you deal one class."

Never a screenshot

How about showing me these 8 mans where these tanks are consistently doing 4-7 million in damage in the round or arenas where they are doing above 5k DPS consistently.

Guess what there won’t be.... A good Merc, Assasin, sniper, Operative and even a Sorc DPS will consistently get 50 to 100 percent more dps than a tank. (Good being a key word there). Unless of course there are 6 shi##ers grouped around a tank trying to monkey stomp him while 3 healers free cast heal them.... So he is spamming 1-2k AOE and stuns for the entire round, I do see this craziness fairly often. So I am guessing those posting here are those folks.