Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Whats the point of having any account security!

Major_Mayhem

First of all your email was hacked, you should be using GMAIL or equivalent that will not let you log in without the same IP address or a security code texted to your cell phone in the event it is a different IP address than the one you usually log in from. They could have NEVER got in that way, so that is your first mistake.

Secondly, NEVER save your credit card information to any website! They will be used in the event you are hacked!

Edited by SaerethDL

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you call customer service regarding your account they will have make sure first of all that's they are talking to you, the legit owner of that account.

They will ask you the security questions if you have them and they will send you a code to your email which you will have to recite them back by logging in to your email as well.

So whoever hacked your account knew your email password as well because they there is no other way for them to "dupe" CS and I think its it's highly unlikely they hacked your account via CS.

It could be two reasons:

1. You saved your Acccount and Email passwords to your browser which they will make them easily hackable but I am not sure how they god past your security key.

Bottom line is I think your two children are responsible for this. Maybe check there before blaming EA/Bioware for low security.

Also, saving your credit card to your account is a big mistake... Better to always type in the numbers whenever you purchase something.

that is the proper procedure, but occasionally the call center guy doesnt follow it. I have seen this before. It could be the call center guy working with a buddy to generate some extra cash for themselves. seen that before too. I have seen Verizon techs charge $17000+ in 1 900 calls against a business they figured would just pay it. inside job bypasses security. This was probably done on xmas to give them a window of time to complete it. Got to wonder how many account were compomised yesterday and wont be found for a long time.

Edited by ivanhedgehog

Except if you had been "playing" since Beta, you wouldn't have lost your name in the server merge. You may have had an account since Beta, but you obviously haven't been an active subscriber or player all of that time and had a big enough chunk of inactivity time that you lost your name and didn't even know your account had been hacked until you came back and logged in.

Being hacked is horrible, and I am sorry if that is what truly happened to your account. I have had friends who suffered the same fate, but they were active players and got with CS after it happened immediately and were restored fairly easily. If there has been any lapse of time between when you were actually hacked and now, it will be tougher, but they are typically good about trying to restore people's accounts in these cases.

Although, if you are quitting the game I suppose there isn't any point in going through all of that.

wrong about the names..I have been playing since beta and lost a few that didnt get played much.

In this case it seems that he was still subbed but was away from the game for a while, so he probably lost them due to the 90 inactivity period.

A bit off topic but it was quite possible to lose names that you've had since early access even if you've been subscribed the whole time. I lost 3 character names that way. All it takes is the other character to win one of the many tie breakers. That was apparently the case in two of my lost characters and the third .. no clue. the name isn't a character in either realm, not offensive, not religious and not copyrighted .. it just isn't available.

As for the op's comments about his account being hacked, something isn't adding up in the story. There is more, even if he/she is unaware of it.

you'd be surprised how easily it is to hijack a computer with one guy, a laptop with linux software and some hacking tools, within 10 minutes gaining remote access to the machine and locking the victim into a virtual setting and being able to read everything via keyloggers as the victim believes they are okay. all it would take for the hacker is a few seconds to decode that intercepted encrypted information and get the password to the email account and access it. This is from first hand observation watching someone doing their hacking business years ago.

I think you are confusing things there, and weren't paying attention. I'll buy getting remote access since Windows security is a sieve, but locking an existing session into a "virtual environment" without any preexisting framework for that present is...difficult to impossible, and besides, you don't need that to install a keylogger. What you can absolutely do is a lot of nasty things offline, if the machine isn't booted. You can also abuse some of the inbuilt mechanisms that are intended for support, but you don't need a Linux machine for that, specifically. But, eh, never let facts get ito the way of a cool horror story.

Wait a minute. This is making me think. Should I just end the security key bit? It doesn't seem to be giving the 100 free cartel coins for 600 total.

Off topic, but I discovered this recently...You should be getting 700 total, but they only email you about the 600. You can tell if you're getting the 700 you SHOULD be getting by checking your Ledger here on the website. It should show the two transactions separately.

A bit off topic but it was quite possible to lose names that you've had since early access even if you've been subscribed the whole time. I lost 3 character names that way. All it takes is the other character to win one of the many tie breakers. That was apparently the case in two of my lost characters and the third .. no clue. the name isn't a character in either realm, not offensive, not religious and not copyrighted .. it just isn't available.

As for the op's comments about his account being hacked, something isn't adding up in the story. There is more, even if he/she is unaware of it.

It's definitely possible but I'm not sure if there were that many tie breakers. In the end we don't really know though why he lost his names so it could be a variety of reasons.

I've also placed question marks with his hacking story. Somehow it doesn't add up as you say.

Bottom line is that he quit the game and his credit card company seems to be willing to block those payments and give him his money back. I think it's unwise to see a lack of security on BWs side as the only possible reason for this situation. Better to consider all options.

I notice I lost about 5K in cartel coins I've been saving as a subscriber since the introduced cartel coins.

Maybe you should quit because your math sucks so bad you can't even lie convincingly. 5K coins is only a 10 month supply if you sub monthly with no security key, and they were introduced like 4 years ago, plus the initial allotment for acheivements prior, plus any you could have earn through achievements since. You should have had 30-40K to loose.

Edited by AmadanNaBrona

I'm also calling B.S. on this thread, and the OP. The purchases were made on the 25th, and everything would still be 'bound'. So the guy 'lost' nothing. It seems more likely that the guy had a bit too much to drink, and loaded up his card to buy a few of those sweet, sweet 7000+ cc lightsabers to resell for credits.

Things you can do to avoid stuff like this happening:

Not reusing the same login/password details on multiple sites.

Not reusing the same security questions on multiple sites.

Not giving every website your phone number.

Not saving your credit card details on any site.

Not having in-game purchases of intermediary currency enabled on your account.

Now go and have all of those charges reversed. You'll probably get banned of course, but hopefully you have learned a valuable lesson here.

OP also won't be with us much longer as (he says) he got the transaction canned by his credit card provider. EA will ban his account as soon as they notice.

Yup. Credit card charge-backs are typically an instant ban, no questions asked, from any game.

At least, any game that I have ever played.

Yup. Credit card charge-backs are typically an instant ban, no questions asked, from any game.

The account will be banned but in my experience the person behind it won't be gone. These threads are sometimes scammers poor attempts at covering a crime. I'm purely using this as an example and in no way accusing anyone here of this type of behavior.

They will move all ill-gotten illegal items to a shell account and be back under a different name. You won't know its the person, but for the similar tone and grammar. I'm suspicious based on the timing of the posts. 48 hours post theft sounds like a great way to build a case with people you know in game. That you were cheated, but are not guilty. The scammer may still want to game with the same people. That amount of currency buys a lot of credits and items. Hypercrates of goods to be sold on the gtn would net between 300-1.5 billion credits of items depending on sales. Dumping them and moving the credits around. Using a friend/guild to move the money. Makes it hard to tell what transactions are legitimate. Then buy the stuff from the gtn. List them and buy them close together. Off hours. Use the guild bank.

This behavior could be a felony and could be a federal crime. it crosses state lines. Maybe international fraud as well depending on the country or origin. If I was this type of person and involved in such a scam I'd maybe think about those consequences as this thread would be evidence of intent.

The op claims to use multiple vpn's to mask. PayPal accounts. These are typical behaviors of people masking identity. As we all know they can ban the account, but the nature of masked identity of PayPal allows this type of individual to return, especially if they have been masking ip information for his source network or origin to the game and forum/account.

I want to know how the story ended/ends! :)

It ended with the op account being banned if he actually had his credit card company do a charge back. This company, and others, will automatically ban you regardless of how right you are if you do a charge back for any reason.

The rest of his allegations are suspect but regardless are irrelevant now.

its a shame neither of his two adult children logged on and backed up his story...makes you wonder what christmas dinner was like....:D

You're so bad.. and I laughed really, really hard.. So hard the office manager came into my office to make sure I was ok..

Darn you.. because she caught me slouching off at work.. lol

I think if they can prove it was really a hacker they shouldn't ban the account since the holder wasn't the one who made those charges.

I think if they can prove it was really a hacker they shouldn't ban the account since the holder wasn't the one who made those charges.

The correct procedure for that is to contact CS and have THEM reverse the entire purchase.

By doing it yourself, you reverse the charge but keep the items, pretty easy to see why they would have a problem with that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.