Charakter transfer: tell me why

funfish

Hi everyone,

it really shoked me that one single charakter transfer costs 1000cc (around 8€) now,

and i really really want to now the argument for this incredible increase of the costs.

I mean for me personally sometimes i have to transfer because i have a raidgroup on darth malgus just because there are not enough good players on tulak hord to raid nightmare operations but i still want to play with my german friends.

I dont mind an increase of character transfer cost but 1000cc for one single transfer? Relly?

Thanks in advance for every reply.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WoW's transfers are 19£ :rak_03: pretty high compared to over here. They have sales every now and then, but nowhere near as much of a sale as we do here. Transfer prices are always higher in the games I've played or at least around the same. Edited by Eshvara

It shouldn't shock you as the developers have frequently stated the server transfers would go up in price again and be much higher than what they were. You can find their responses on the Dev Tracker here on the forums and they also said this in multiple livestreams.

Look at it this way: Bioware just invested a lot of resources to do server merges and bring all the servers down to 5. They have not only made a giant update ingame but have also invested time and money in the necessary hardware to support the server merges. However, it led to server consolidation and all the servers have a significantly large enough playerbase.

The reason we had 90/150 CC server transfers was because people needed to move from dead servers to more populated ones. That was the only reason why Bioware did it, they wanted people to move freely in case they needed to move away from silent servers. The fact that other players used it simply for a cheap tool to move between servers for other reasons was a side-effect but an accepted one.

Yet now there are no more dead servers. The first few weeks after the server transfers we had the 90/150 CC transfers because it was not a far fetch that people might say "hmm, I actually want to be on a different server" so they could move freely. However, if the cheap server transfers would remain on, we might face yet another repeat of the past where there are dead servers and we need server merges again. It is why the server transfers went up in price because they should be used only when there is an absolute necessity. It is why I am glad they are up in price again because characters need to stay on the server they are and only be moved if it is an absolute necessity.

If you frequently raid on Darth Malgus then I suggest you permanently transfer to that server. I understand that you also want to play with your german friends, but Bioware can't base their plans and business model only on how you play the game. You have to make a choice here which server you want to play on. You can of course make characters on both Darth Malgus and Tulak Hord and play on both with seperate characters so you have characters to raid with on Darth Malgus and characters to play with with your friends on Tulak Hord, but if you have only one set of main characters you play or want to play I suggest you move to 1 server, either stay on Tulak Hord or permanently move to Darth Malgus. Either way, you have to make a choice here.

Edited by Ylliarus

Hi everyone,

it really shoked me that one single charakter transfer costs 1000cc (around 8€) now,

and i really really want to now the argument for this incredible increase of the costs.

I mean for me personally sometimes i have to transfer because i have a raidgroup on darth malgus just because there are not enough good players on tulak hord to raid nightmare operations but i still want to play with my german friends.

I dont mind an increase of character transfer cost but 1000cc for one single transfer? Relly?

Thanks in advance for every reply.

It is a correct decision. Cheap character transfers provided too many ways of unfair advantages:

1)Solo ranked players were transferring their characters to servers with weaker players in order to dominate on arena or to lower populated servers in order to wintrade (French server is just a field for wintrading). Just open leaderboards and check some r1-r10 sentinels and sages... you will find players with 30-98 wins with 2k rate. Apparently, it's a clear wintrade which probably was made on Tulak Hord or Leviathan.

2)Unfair disadvantage with gtn prices. People may buy things for lower prices on high populated servers and sell them for twice bigger prices on lower populated servers. I wont lie, i did it myself when transfers were cheap. I was buying/making 246 implants/earpieces on darth Malgus for 800k- 1 million credits and selling them for 1,9-2,1 millions on Leviathan and Tulak Hord (population on these servers are much lower so that prices are much higher) then of course i transferred my character back to Malgus with tonnes of credits. Of Course such activity caused inflation on Malgus since many players received tonnes of easy credits

In conclusion, iam surprised that devs closed this loophole only now... it caused so much damage for ranked and economy.

Because that's what they used to cost? The 90cc cost was always going to be temporary.

I find it more outrageous people are so happy to pay for these services in the first place. Back in the day if you wanted a character transferred or renamed, you'd petition support or a GM. Ever since SOE started charging for customer serivce everyone else did too though, and people somehow just put up with it.

WoW's transfers are 19£ :rak_03: pretty high compared to over here. They have sales every now and then, but nowhere near as much of a sale as we do here. Transfer prices are always higher in the games I've played or at least around the same.

Except in WoW you can buy anything on Bnet store that's in game with gold now instead

1000cc is too much, 500cc is too much. IMO 90cc is too much because it should be free for subscribers.

BUT, if they have to charge and they think 90cc is too cheap, how about 200cc.

It shouldn't be free, changing servers shouldn't become so easy that it'll mess everything up. 1000cc is fine with the occasional sale.

Edited by Eshvara

1000cc is too much, 500cc is too much. IMO 90cc is too much because it should be free for subscribers.

Disagree with the free. It shouldn't be so cheap that people keep switching servers on a whim. The price I believe is right.

It shouldn't be free, changing servers shouldn't become so easy that it'll mess everything up. 1000cc is fine with the occasional sale.

Serious question...what does it mess up exactly? Why do YOU care where my characters are? Why do you care if I swap servers for PvP, GSF, friends or to buy stuff on the GTN? Why does it matter if I backup my Legacy on alternative servers? What is the advantage of a closed server in your mind exactly?

Serious question...what does it mess up exactly? Why do YOU care where my characters are? Why do you care if I swap servers for PvP, GSF, friends or to buy stuff on the GTN? Why does it matter if I backup my Legacy on alternative servers? What is the advantage of a closed server in your mind exactly?

It ruins the economy, when everyone just gets to come and go as they please. it's already ruined enough. That's why I care. That aside, people wanting to transfer just for the lulz creates more problems. Why do you think ToFN was the way it was? If changing servers is so important, pay the full price of wait until the sale.

Or.. of course, reroll.:rolleyes:

Edited by Eshvara

Why does everyone want everything to be for free? Is it not obvious why the price is this high? People are meant to stay on their servers, it's what we had server merges for. Unless there is an absolute necessity there is little to no reason anymore to move characters between servers. If you want to play on multiple servers you can just make characters seperately there. And if you really insist on moving characters, well, you got to pay, easy.

And their prices are still more expensive, which doesn't make much sense to me as you can server hop. Servers on WoW are populated enough.

So are ours now - this has nothing to do with the populations - it's about the freedom to go where I want to go. Why does that need to be $10 a pop? It's 100% automated and has been for years...

So are ours now - this has nothing to do with the populations - it's about the freedom to go where I want to go. Why does that need to be $10 a pop? It's 100% automated and has been for years...

I think 10 is a fair price, you don't which is fine. Why it has to be that way? No idea, I didn't come up with it, I just think the price is fine. You are absolutely free to go where you want, you just have to pay for it.

It ruins the economy, when everyone just gets to come and go as they please. it's already ruined enough. That's why I care. That aside, people wanting to transfer just for the lulz creates more problems. Why do you think ToFN was the way it was? If changing servers is so important, pay the full price of wait until the sale.

Or.. of course, reroll.:rolleyes:

How does it ruin the economy? I asked you for specifics...we only have 5 servers now, so how is it ruining economies? Because I might be able to buy something cheaper on server Y? Or sell something for more on server Z? How exactly is that an issue for anyone??

And what problems does me transferring create exactly? You keep throwing out generalizations...give me specifics because it sounds to me like you just want to dictate where people play.

I think 10 is a fair price, you don't which is fine. Why it has to be that way? No idea, I didn't come up with it, I just think the price is fine. You are absolutely free to go where you want, you just have to pay for it.

That's fine. I think it should be free - I don't care where people play, I'm just an advocate of player choice...without charging them ridiculous amounts.

How does it ruin the economy? I asked you for specifics...we only have 5 servers now, so how is it ruining economies? Because I might be able to buy something cheaper on server Y? Or sell something for more on server Z? How exactly is that an issue for anyone??

And what problems does me transferring create exactly? You keep throwing out generalizations...give me specifics because it sounds to me like you just want to dictate where people play.

I still don't see how this has anything to do with me, and wanting to decide where people play. I am not in charge of the price, I didn't come up with the price, my opinion has no effect on whether the price changes or not. I simply don't agree that it should be cheaper and for some reason it really seems to annoy you. The reason why is beyond me.

I don't know what to say really, I think the price is fine, that's not going to change, you think it's too expensive that's cool. I wish WoW had server transfers for 10£, rahter than almost double the price. I'm on a low server on WoW and transfers aren't even needed due to the way they handle servers.

I still don't see how this has anything to do with me, and wanting to decide where people play. I am not in charge of the price, I didn't come up with the price, my opinion has no effect on whether the price changes or not. I simply don't agree that it should be cheaper and for some reason it really seems to annoy you. The reason why is beyond me.

I don't know what to say really, I think the price is fine, that's not going to change, you think it's too expensive that's cool. I wish WoW had server transfers for 10£, rahter than almost double the price. I'm on a low server on WoW and transfers aren't even needed due to the way they handle servers.

I get that...you think the price is fine, and I can understand that fully. But...you also said it creates problems and ruins economies, which I 100% disagree with and asked you to explain. It doesn't bug me, we're just having a discussion.