Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Legacy Credits: This Isn't the Functionality You're Looking For

Seelvir

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BW devs basically copied the code from the Guild bank and pasted it into the Legacy bank.

This is pretty lazy at best.

We already had that functionality in the Guild bank, you could use that as a way to share credits between your characters they just had to be members in the same Guild or you could just mail the credits.

So what we got now is just another disappointment.

BW devs basically copied the code from the Guild bank and pasted it into the Legacy bank.

This is pretty lazy at best.

We already had that functionality in the Guild bank, you could use that as a way to share credits between your characters they just had to be members in the same Guild or you could just mail the credits.

So what we got now is just another disappointment.

Exactly. I was pretty disappointed in this as well. It's not even close to what we've been asking for.

Im looking forward to consolidating all my credits into one location with each toon getting a start amount. once they reach Z from X, they deposit Y into the bank to get back to X and repeat. It will enable me to know how much i have and avoid surprises when i log on to a toon and think, "well, that explains why i thought i had more...it was right there all along...." and it saves me the time (and few credits) of sending it via mail.

applaud!!

I disagree. I wouldn't want all my credits on one character. I'd rather keep the bulk of the creds in an easily accessible legacy bank and only pull what I need at the time. You don't want to accidentally pay 10m for something you thought was 10k. That won't happen if you only have a few mil on that character, the rest in the bank.

I used to play eve online, a game where this sort of market trickery and deception was commonplace. I guess that's where I learned to keep a "bank" character and never purchase anything with him.

I thought it was a bit of a pain to have to log in my bank character, send mail with creds, log back in to other character. I don't know about you, but I do all my GTN transactions in my stronghold with my legacy bank nearby. This is going to be much easier than before.

Only beef I have with this system is that credits in the Legacy Bank can't be used straight from the bank. I feel like that that should be within the realm of possibility, since similar things are done for items with crafting, or with repair fees and Guild funds. As is, it's a bit of a chore, though still pretty manageable, ultimately.

I did not read or interpret it that way at all. Why? Because they used terms like "wallet" and indicated that players would control credits in and out of the new feature and that it would work essentially the way guild banks do.

I think you are a victim of your own desires here... wanting what you want and reading what they said with a bias.

The big improvement is actually a much higher credit limit on the new feature. I don't recall where they stated it... but they made the legacy credit limit something like around 100B. Not that many players need that much space.. but a good number of veterans have been bumping up against the 4.29B limit for individual characters for some time now.... and so it is nice for alleviating having to spread credits around your characters for no other reason then the charcter credit cap.

The only thing they need to add to the game is a portable Legacy Cargo that you can pop anywhere you need to grab credits... OR... make is so merchants give you the option to pull from character-or-legacy. IF you want that head to the suggestion forum and put in a coherent and detailed suggestion/request.

You can unlock a Legacy Cargo remote, similar to the mail and repair droids.

Um ... was I alone in thinking that Legacy Credits would be a straightfoward thing? Like, credits exactly as they were before, but now all credits from all characters available at all times on all characters. Like, the same functionality as Command Tokens. Not the same functionality as the Guild Bank credits.

So, here's the big improvement. Now, instead of losing 5 credits to the mailbox when you move credits between characters, you can move credits between characters via Legacy Bank for FREE. That's it. Unless I'm missing something?

What you describe is what I was expecting when they said credits were becoming legacy currencies. I log in and see that I have to deposit them into my bank.. what?

Recycling the guild bank code isn't lazy (or at least not lazy in a negative way), it's smart. It's working code. They don't have to worry about introducing weird side effects, out-and-out bugs, how it'll mesh with the various credit caps for non-sub accounts, etc. Add UI to the legacy tab, back it with the existing guild bank deposit/withdrawal, run the tests against the UI, go off to do something else (like work on one or more of the outstanding bugs).

I, too, would have preferred a Credit entry on the legacy currency tab. Since neither the credits or the UCs ended up there, (and, with UCs, an inelegant solution was instead implemented, making them stackable items), there was an issue with legacy currencies.

What happens to Command Tokens when you transfer a character? There is already a system in place that manages this. Utilize that with my biased idea of this Legacy Credits functionality. Or add a new option to the transfer system that allows you to select via that interface how many credits to transfer. Surely that singular use-case, transfers, shouldn't necessitate taking a great idea (mine) and turning it into this other idea (the one we got).

Next?

Command tokens remain on the legacy server they were earned on and did not transfer. I haven't seen different information regarding this, so I assume that's the way it still works.

The GTN recommendation mentioned earlier is a good idea. However, the GTN is a fickle beast to tame apparently, and has been since beta. I don't recall the exact details, but they tried to either fix some coding or make improvements and ended up breaking it so badly they had to disable it for a couple of months.

I would love to see GTN improvements, like removing the "Usable by" since it never really worked right from the start. Or adding one or two more stat drop downs so you can further whittle down the exact mod you're looking for, or not having perform 3 searches to view the various armor pieces for cosmetic reasons.

Here's the solution.

Keep both systems: Personal wallet for each character and the legacy wallet, like it's the status quo, BUT make the legacy wallet accessible from everwhere and for every transaction (GTN, merchants, private trading with other players) BY CHOICE i.e. a small, clickable button (like "Guild Repair Funds" option).

If you transfer a character, only the personal wallet will be transfered. The legacy wallet will not be touched.

In that way everybody should be pleased. The guys like me, who just want a comfortable QoL improvement i.e. easy access to all my credits on the server from all my chars. The weird RPers, who "enjoy to start from the scratch" (Yeah sure mate. What a niche desire, but ok, if you like it that way :rolleyes:). And even the attention deficit guys, who want their money to be "safe", because now and then they happen to spend all of their credits on deceptive offers on the GTN.

Edited by Drunken-Monkey

A glorified mailbox is what this Legacy Cargo credits system is... Disappointed, why even bother.

What exactly did you all expect from the Legacy Cargo Hold system?

That's all it was, is and will be designed to be, a glorified mailbox so you don't have to mail stuff to your alts. Now they've included the last bit that was lacking and you never have to use a mailbox to send stuff to your alts.

Quality of Life enhancement is Quality of Life enhancement.

...I have a "bank character" that holds the big bucks, and pays for the big things. If one of my other characters is out of cash, now I no longer need to log out, mail myself money, and log back in. Saves me about 5 minutes of foolishness, or more if my banker happens to be off doing something and hitting a mailbox isn't something I can conveniently do (the fact I have a Mail Bot not-withstanding).

Exactly the same for me. I used to mail all my credits to a single character, only keeping enough credits on whatever said character needed to the activity they participated in (so, less money for the ones I only do story on, more money on the ones I occasionally do ops with). Now it's the same thing, except that I don't need to log in to this bank character to mail credits. I also don't need to log in to this character when I wish to buy something expensive, just grab some money from legacy bank.

Imo this is clearly better than mailing credits.

Um ... was I alone in thinking that Legacy Credits would be a straightfoward thing? Like, credits exactly as they were before, but now all credits from all characters available at all times on all characters. Like, the same functionality as Command Tokens. Not the same functionality as the Guild Bank credits.

So, here's the big improvement. Now, instead of losing 5 credits to the mailbox when you move credits between characters, you can move credits between characters via Legacy Bank for FREE. That's it. Unless I'm missing something?

Yep you're alone in that thinking. Frankly the new legacy credits system is very much a functionality I was looking for! It's simply amazing and such a relief there is finally a central place to store credits. 10 out of 10 in my honest opinion.

Edited by Ylliarus

The value of crediting the credits is that it is usable in any situation by the characters, sellers, and other purchases or sales, not just storages. If you put money in the trunk inheritance is done to store it it has no interest to delete the option if you can use the credits from the sellers to the interest becomes more interesting.

to make this kind of modification without thinking about the practical aspect is really not smart, what you look for in a game is the practical and fast access.

if I had for all my characters access to credits that I have in the trunk legacy for my purchases I will find it easier

But why bother with that? Ultimately, your characters are spending credits from your legacy one way or the other. Separating a stack of credits for use on your character from a stack you use through your legacy is a function that has no functional value whatsoever. What's a situation where that division of credits is useful? If it's only character transfers, then see my post above.

It helps protect my credit pool against those moments when the ethanol rules the mind and I'm looking at the GTN. I can't just inattentively blow all my credit pool on some item. Yes, it's my fault if I do that, but it's a small safety net. (The act of running off to the legacy cargo terminal is sufficient "cool-down" that the mind takes over and tells the ethanol where to get off.)

Okay, I'll grant that. But, wouldn't what I'm saying be infinitely better than what they implemented? If the other BIG thing aside from saving 5 credits on mail is a new limit of 100b ... then ... again ... wouldn't that be better if it worked like I wanted it to, just up the limit to 100b?

I'm sure someone could dazzle me with the techno-babble of why what I'm suggestion would be "hard to do."

Just saying that it would be superior, in literally every way, to what was introduced today.

Help me see how what we have is better than what my bias assumed it was going to be?

This I can not abide. The red part anyhow. Wright Brothers managed to construct a plane and fly when people thought that only birds can fly. Similar story to much earlier Faust Vrancic and Leonardo da Vinci. And here we are, allowing mediocrity and laziness to flourish. "Oh it's HARD to do /waah /waah" . It's your job and it's your job to do it PROPERLY and to PRODUCE PROFIT, damn it! *********** mediocrity.

"It's hard to do..." my ***! A guy managed to do alone, without bikes what Charlie and Ewan did in Africa with bikes and a security detachment(I mean, hats off to them as well, but that guy...). Ivica Kostelic managed a marathon through Iceland's frozen tundra(practically Hoth like) what with 50mph wind, sub zero Celsius temperatures etc.

Just, just...ugh! Horrible!

This I can not abide. The red part anyhow. Wright Brothers managed to construct a plane and fly when people thought that only birds can fly. Similar story to much earlier Faust Vrancic and Leonardo da Vinci. And here we are, allowing mediocrity and laziness to flourish. "Oh it's HARD to do /waah /waah" . It's your job and it's your job to do it PROPERLY and to PRODUCE PROFIT, damn it! *********** mediocrity.

"It's hard to do..." my ***! A guy managed to do alone, without bikes what Charlie and Ewan did in Africa with bikes and a security detachment(I mean, hats off to them as well, but that guy...). Ivica Kostelic managed a marathon through Iceland's frozen tundra(practically Hoth like) what with 50mph wind, sub zero Celsius temperatures etc.

Just, just...ugh! Horrible!

The current individual credit cap is as high as it can possibly go given the current data structure, 32 bit unsigned integer. That is like the Wright Brothers flying that Wright Flyer at the Karman line, it's impossible to go higher without changing the underlying physics.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.