Trolling Empty Chat Bioware/Eric, someone please fix this

MrVee

SERVER: Satele Shan

Today i logged on and was trying to get an op group together.

For 1 hour i experienced people on fleet bugging out chat. People spamming empty chat. Soon as a line was typed someone would instantly blank the chat.

I have no idea how long this went on for either side of my 1 hour of being on fleet. Every time i have logged in over the past couple of weeks this has been non stop.

There is a squelch feature in swtor but there is no way to report the player due some bug in the game as you cannot see the players name.

Occasionally this would happen on the harbinger and i could deal with it. But every day now in prime time.

So after 1 hour of this, i logged off. Really just had enough of this. So no getting together an ops group or anything.

SO ERIC/SOMEONE can you please fix this so players can be reported.

For me this is ruining my enjoyment of the the game. Surely i am not alone in this frustration.

Wish there should be one person in team that SOMETIMES just login to game on every server, and spend 5 minutes on every to ban these gold spammers, these people than insult others etc. :o

It wouldn't take much time. If there were a credible threat of being banned on the spot, a lot less people would troll. If you never knew someone was watching, you would be on your best behavior in case they were.

Good job posting about this, much better than a PM/report, wont give trolls on other servers idea's at all, no Sir.

:rolleyes:

From what I've seen this has been reported many times already. This is the community getting desperate to get Bioware's attention in any way they can. It's completely understandable.

It wouldn't take much time. If there were a credible threat of being banned on the spot, a lot less people would troll. If you never knew someone was watching, you would be on your best behavior in case they were.

This is the problem with moderation in the game... there is none.. and any punishments that do get doled out... don’t ever fit the crime...

So many times over the years there have been hackers flagrantly cheating and all they get is a slap on the wrist after it takes 100 people to report them over 3 weeks... and if it’s a first or second offence they get a warning or 24-72 hour ban... They need to get caught multiple times before it becomes a week, then a month, then 3 months until it reaches a year... even then they are never completely banned or had their account cancelled... Bioware always let them back...

Cheats and trolls just laugh at Biowares lack of control or care over such matters.

The easiest fix to deter trolls and cheats are stiffer penalties that are enforced quickly and people know what those penalties actually are.

Add some in game mods would help and now that there are only 5 servers in total, it shouldn’t cost much and would be relatively easy to do...

I would imagine that there is a lot they don't tell us. If I made a game, for example, and I saw that crap, I wouldn't want people that play the game I made to not enjoy it. You have to keep that in mind. It might be cool if they posted a list for us to see of players that have been banned so we get a sense of justice, but I don't know if that's possible

Good job posting about this, much better than a PM/report, wont give trolls on other servers idea's at all, no Sir.

:rolleyes:

Being glib about the situation doesn't really help, if anything most of what you wrote there can in fact be helpful to Bioware if they are informed of a potential abuse of the game, even by the general chat and essentially what these players are doing is exploiting the chat feature to spam nothing on the chat screen and if you can't see their names it's clear it's not intended.

If Eric doesn't respond to this then send it through Answers HQ SWTOR. i'm certain someone from EA will push on this issue.

I saw this the other night and while it didn’t affect me... I could see how it was affecting others... I had a pretty good idea who was doing it too... so I reported them for spam...

Can you let us know how you came to that conclusion? A lot of people are desperate for a name or names so we can report/squelch them.

*Don't have to give the name, just let us know how you found out.

Via an ingame ticket or by PMing Eric on the forums, like I said.

Saying someone is blanking chat in a report helps no one. Right now it is very difficult to find who is doing it (and it's likely more than one person). If someone can find a way to expose the people who are doing it, then I think PM'ing Eric/Keith would be a good idea. CSR will probably shrug their shoulders at it.

Via an ingame ticket or by PMing Eric on the forums, like I said.

After playing for 6 years with the same idiots around... you start to see the pattern...

Here is just one example... player x is on and trolling chat... then people say to report them for spam so they’ll get squelched... player x stops trolling for a little while... but those empty chat posts start getting spammed... after chat dies off a bit... player x come back and starts trolling again to see if they can get people angry enough again... they just rinse and repeat the tactic...

There are also some synonymous people who always cause problems on purpose when they are in the game and have been in the game for years and years... some have been here since launch... when you see x or y individual on and they are trolling and things like blank chat trolling starts... there is a high probability that it’s them

You still need proof or what are Bioware supposed to do? Having a name is the first start :rolleyes:

The server logs will provide the proof especially if there is something really wrong that players themselves can't do anything to report on the the troublemakers. bioware have a great deal more detail and information than the player will ever have.

The server logs will provide the proof especially if there is something really wrong that players themselves can't do anything to report on the the troublemakers. bioware have a great deal more detail and information than the player will ever have.

LoL... it’s hard enough getting them to do something when you can provide all the evidence for them and they don’t need to do any work...

How hard do you think it is to get them to do something when they actually have to go back and look through logs themselves :rolleyes:

If people can’t even provide them with someone’s name to start the process... they won’t do anything and you would be wasting your own time... which means, score 1 for the troll

LoL... it’s hard enough getting them to do something when you can provide all the evidence for them and they don’t need to do any work...

How hard do you think it is to get them to do something when they actually have to go back and look through logs themselves :rolleyes:

If people can’t even provide them with someone’s name to start the process... they won’t do anything and you would be wasting your own time... which means, score 1 for the troll

i believe i already made a suggestion to try Answers HQ SWTOR. i'm almost certain someone from EA will contact you about it. you won't know until you try.

Bumping this thread. Loads of good responses.

I hope BIOWARE takes notice.

If the in game players can see who is spamming this, people can report in game and and that player can get squelched.

Edited by MrVee

i believe i already made a suggestion to try Answers HQ SWTOR. i'm almost certain someone from EA will contact you about it. you won't know until you try.

Oh dear, you seem to have me confused with someone who is new to the game...

I’m a veteran of what CS service at both Bioware and EA provide in this game... I can tell you right now you would be wasting your time