Get rid of level shifting... Now!!!

TheOuroborus

Making it optional makes it pointless.

It serves an important purpose in game. It should stay in game, and continue to be mandatory.

If you don't understand why this is... you probably don't have the background in game theory to bother explaining it to you. That's just the way it is.

...I'd like to see Level Scaling revamped, because (as far as I know) there are still some bugs with certain abilities being invalidated by scaling caps, etc. At the same time, I think companions need a pretty serious rework to make them functional, without also being more powerful than the Hero they're side-kicking for.

Making it optional makes it pointless.

It serves an important purpose in game. It should stay in game, and continue to be mandatory.

If you don't understand why this is... you probably don't have the background in game theory to bother explaining it to you. That's just the way it is.

...I'd like to see Level Scaling revamped, because (as far as I know) there are still some bugs with certain abilities being invalidated by scaling caps, etc. At the same time, I think companions need a pretty serious rework to make them functional, without also being more powerful than the Hero they're side-kicking for.

No need for an expert lesson in game theory, thank you. It's important purpose is to serve as a cheapskate move that allowed them to recycle an entire game into an elder game crate grind for an expansion that came with little more than solo story which could be played through in a weekend. That's pretty much all the game theory one needs to know to understand why.

Other than a couple of recent (within the last 7 months) Ops boss instances and some added co-op, the only thing making this a real MMO any more is 3 year old content that got recycled. Some applaud that change. Guilds-turned-ghost towns (including ours) don't. The devs can make it optional and instanced like planet PvP almost as quickly as they implemented it. Pointless? It would be pointless if they burned what was so there is no way back. Which wouldn't be surprising. They've become quite adept at using scorched earth to drive their cattle.

Edited by GalacticKegger

I think it is a well implemented system. It really helps me be able to complete any amount of missions i want without fear of the next planet being well below me, especially during double XP.

And that helps avoid the problem that I had way back in the day (before 3.0), where my commando spent her whole visit on Voss one level below the recommended levels of her missions.

What it doesn't avoid is people like the guy I met one time after 4.0 came out. I was on the ground on Quesh on my Sin, and someone was up on the orbital station trying to get down to the surface, and shouting in /general because he couldn't do it. I ended up taking a moment to go up to the station to show him the right NPC to get the planetary arc started (without that, you can't use the shuttle to go down). And of course the NPC (the doctor with the anti-toxin innoculation thing) wouldn't give this guy any more than the time of day because he was only level 30. Advice was given(go back to earlier planets and level up a bit) and off he went.

No need for an expert lesson in game theory, thank you. It's important purpose is to serve as a cheapskate move that allowed them to recycle an entire game into an elder game crate grind for an expansion that came with little more than solo story which could be played through in a weekend. That's pretty much all the game theory one needs to know to understand why.

Other than a couple of recent (within the last 7 months) Ops boss instances and some added co-op, the only thing making this a real MMO any more is 3 year old content that got recycled. Some applaud that change. Guilds-turned-ghost towns (including ours) don't. The devs can make it optional and instanced like planet PvP almost as quickly as they implemented it. Pointless? It would be pointless if they burned what was so there is no way back. Which wouldn't be surprising. They've become quite adept at using scorched earth to drive their cattle.

ugh. Yes. You apparently need to be educated.

Level Scaling does allow for players to go to lower level planets, do quests, and get rewarded. If you are drastically over leveled for content, then there should not be any reward. No challenge, no reward. A class quest brought my level 42 Assassin back to Korriban. I realized that I missed a bunch of quests there, and decided to do them while I was there. This wasn't a waste of time, because I earned XP and Credits comparable to what I'd be earning if I were doing quests on Hoth, which is next on my Class Quest Chain. My time, as a player, is better used and rewarded by Level Sync. I spent a tiny bit more time doing the quests (because level scaling meant that I couldn't completely faceroll everything... just slightly faceroll everything).

From a PvP player's perspective (not that I am one), level scaling gives lowbies a bit of protection. A level 30 character scaled down to level 28 is still heavily disadvantaged trying to fight a level 70 character scaled down to level 28... but this is still a winnable fight. Also... if you have a planet with level 70 players visiting it, you still need level 70 Elite Guards around Faction territory. Going on a Raid on Enemy Territory always used to be the best way to start up open world PvP... which is possible, and more fun, with level sync. Without it, only Level 70s can participate, and lowbies just trying to quest can only suffer as their questing is disrupted.

...and yes, this actually happened before Level Sync. When my guild was big, we did raid planets and wipe out entire enemy faction settlements. Usually we would do this to celebrate winning Conquest (ok, yes, I have done PvP, but rarely).

The reverse must be asked. What would removing level sync bring back to the game?

...and I will answer, because I know the answer. It would bring nothing to the game. If you want to go to Taris and faceroll all the Rakghouls as a level 70 character... this does nothing for you. If you're not level scaled, you can't get quest rewards for this. You can't earn CXP for this. If your theoretical un-synced area is instanced, you won't be hunting lowbies (fortunately) and you won't be lording your superior power over them either, they'll be over in the instance that they can get suitable rewards for questing in. Creating a level synced instance where you can go and ... accomplish nothing in... only serves to make a game that seems to have a shrinking population seem to have an even smaller population. Oh, and of course, the Not Synced instances would need both PvE and non-PvE instances, so again, a smaller, lonelier world.

Like a three-year old asking for vodka, it's not good for you, and you can't have it.

...Both my Imperial and Republic guilds are suffering from some serious absenteeism. I guarantee you that none of my missing guildmates would put Level Sync in the top five reasons they unsubbed. I am absolutely sure of this.

It's been one of those things I understand the purpose of but don't like much.

The nasty side effect of it is killing class story final bosses.

You never feel as powerful as you should feel by games end. I think removing a few mobs here and there would be a decent compromise.

It's been one of those things I understand the purpose of but don't like much.

The nasty side effect of it is killing class story final bosses.

You never feel as powerful as you should feel by games end. I think removing a few mobs here and there would be a decent compromise.

Honestly I don't mind Level Sync for Open world stuff, however I'd remove it (and buff up the Instanced Story bosses) to the characters actual level to make them challenging.

Back in the day, being one level below the recommended level for missions was never a problem for me or the group I would play with. Ever. That's what the planet quest lines and extra mobs were for.

The system the game had was amazing. Level up for each planet completing class and planet stories with H2s in between ... graduate to the planet H4s then complete planet end game with their flashpoints. Each planet was the entire progression game in microcosm: leveling game → elder game → end game. No need for any CM purchases other than for cosmetics or extras. It was level and content progression at its finest. The players who came in after 4.0 missed a helluva Star Wars MMO.

Edited by GalacticKegger

ugh. Yes. You apparently need to be educated.
In what? What you believe? I'm a true neutral with a keen understanding of where this game came from.

Level Scaling does allow for players to go to lower level planets, do quests, and get rewarded.
Level scaling allows charcters (not players) to go back to lower level planets to do quests and get rewarded ... at the expense of the leveling game the lower level planets were designed for ... when those characters should have had their own stand-alone planets to do questson and get rewarded.

If you are drastically over leveled for content, then there should not be any reward. No challenge, no reward. A class quest brought my level 42 Assassin back to Korriban. I realized that I missed a bunch of quests there, and decided to do them while I was there. This wasn't a waste of time, because I earned XP and Credits comparable to what I'd be earning if I were doing quests on Hoth, which is next on my Class Quest Chain. My time, as a player, is better used and rewarded by Level Sync. I spent a tiny bit more time doing the quests (because level scaling meant that I couldn't completely faceroll everything... just slightly faceroll everything).
If a character is drastically overleveled for content, then it's their fault for playing a speed leveling game.

From a PvP player's perspective (not that I am one), level scaling gives lowbies a bit of protection. A level 30 character scaled down to level 28 is still heavily disadvantaged trying to fight a level 70 character scaled down to level 28... but this is still a winnable fight. Also... if you have a planet with level 70 players visiting it, you still need level 70 Elite Guards around Faction territory. Going on a Raid on Enemy Territory always used to be the best way to start up open world PvP... which is possible, and more fun, with level sync. Without it, only Level 70s can participate, and lowbies just trying to quest can only suffer as their questing is disrupted.

...and yes, this actually happened before Level Sync. When my guild was big, we did raid planets and wipe out entire enemy faction settlements. Usually we would do this to celebrate winning Conquest (ok, yes, I have done PvP, but rarely).

So PvP on planets in non-PvP instances is a problem for lowbies who can get ganked by max level characters? Each planet already has its own PvP instances to protect against that.

The reverse must be asked. What would removing level sync bring back to the game?
Um ... you keep inferring that my position is to remove level sync. I'll shut that door right now ... no. I don't want level sync removed because there are players like you who enjoy it. What I would request is that non-level-sync'd instances be returned so players who want to experience the leveling game the way it was originally designed can do so. Because it was a helluva lot more robust than the one size fits all crap we have now.

...and I will answer, because I know the answer. It would bring nothing to the game. If you want to go to Taris and faceroll all the Rakghouls as a level 70 character... this does nothing for you.
Whether it would bring something or nothing to the game for me, or anyone else for that matter, is not your concern ... it's ours. To think otherwise is narcissistic.

If you're not level scaled, you can't get quest rewards for this.
Rewards for progression through the current expansion ... true. But rewards for progressing level appropriately through level appropriate planets with a level appropriate loot table ... false. Which is the whole idea behind a non-level-sync'd instance.

You can't earn CXP for this.
Are you really on board with the devs recycling the entire game for new expansions instead of creating fresh content for them?

If your theoretical un-synced area is instanced, you won't be hunting lowbies (fortunately) and you won't be lording your superior power over them either, they'll be over in the instance that they can get suitable rewards for questing in.
Again, you are coming from the position that the entire game should be nothing but the latest expansion's playground.

Creating a level synced instance where you can go and ... accomplish nothing in
you said it not me.

... only serves to make a game that seems to have a shrinking population seem to have an even smaller population.
So? Let there be both and let the players decide what they want to do. Shoehorning the game's entire population into one box for fear that they'd actually enjoy playing outside the box is more paranoia than plan.

Oh, and of course, the Not Synced instances would need both PvE and non-PvE instances, so again, a smaller, lonelier world.
It's already a smaller, lonlier world. Maybe bringing choices back would bring players back.

Like a three-year old asking for vodka, it's not good for you, and you can't have it.
Condescendence does nothing but imply insecurity.

...Both my Imperial and Republic guilds are suffering from some serious absenteeism. I guarantee you that none of my missing guildmates would put Level Sync in the top five reasons they unsubbed. I am absolutely sure of this.
Cool. For our guild it killed one night a week of lowbie heroic, flashpoint, HM and Ops farming ... which was also the platform we used for mentoring players trying out new classes and builds as they acquired them. Edited by GalacticKegger

Level scaling allows charcters (not players) to go back to lower level planets to do quests and get rewarded ... at the expense of the leveling game the lower level planets were designed for ... when those characters should have had their own stand-alone planets to do questson and get rewarded.
Claiming some sort of distinction between a Character and the Player controlling that character is sophistry. And you're also wrong. When you go back to a low level planet (picking up your Alliance Supply Crates) you very, very, very rarely ever see someone doing these Heroics who's actually the planet's level. If you bump into anyone at all, it's someone else who is max level, and just farming their crates.

The design has changed, and it has changed based on what makes sense for the game. Players may choose to do side quests, but XP has been revamped so a player can level through the planets while ONLY doing their class quests. The people who run the game, who have access to the metrics that tell them how people play the game, probably came to the realization that most newly created characters are made by veteran players who want to revisit the Class Stories. This gives genuine noobies the opportunity to see the stories without getting bogged down with a lot of side quests.

...at the same time, if the character (player, I don't care to make that distinction) over-levels the planet (because they will, because they gain a lot more XP) their "maximum" level is capped. Regardless of how many levels someone gains on Ord Mantell, their relative power level means that they can still quest, or grind, and gain XP and rewards.

If a character is drastically overleveled for content, then it's their fault for playing a speed leveling game.
As above, the new leveling model in SWTOR is that players are earning a LOT more XP from quests than they did once upon a time. It's not "their fault" it's how the game is now.

Um ... you keep inferring that my position is to remove level sync. I'll shut that door right now ... no. I don't want level sync removed because there are players like you who enjoy it. What I would request is that non-level-sync'd instances be returned so players who want to experience the leveling game the way it was originally designed can do so. Because it was a helluva lot more robust than it is now.
This makes no sense to me. The only thing that Sync does, in terms of the original design of how characters leveled is to make sure that players never get drastically over-level for their content. You can't explain this, in a way that makes sense to me, other than to say "I liked when I could roll into a level 24-28 planet as a level 60 character and solo the world boss."

...I mean, that was fun... but the ONLY thing level sync does, in terms of leveling a character, is to make sure that your character is always facing some degree of challenge on a planet. That's it.

What does something (or nothing) for someone else is not your choice ... it's theirs. To think otherwise is narcissistic.
It may not be my choice... but it's not their choice either. The development team at SWTOR has figured out that going forward, Level Sync makes the most sense. I understand the reasoning behind this... you do not.

True ... unless you are level appropriate with a level appropriate loot table on a level appropriate planet. Which is the whole idea behind a non-level-sync'd instance.
You have this completely backwards. Level Sync doesn't matter at all unless you are over-level for the planet you are on. Not At All. So.... either you are synced to the planet, in which case you can earn level appropriate rewards. In a scenario before Level Sync, what would happen is that once a Mob turns grey, it is worth no XP, and quests which are grey earned you a whole 7 xp. I don't know how many CXP those 7 xp would translate into... ideally none. You would still earn some credits from Mob drops, and maybe credit rewards from quests... but those rewards would still be appropriate to the planets character level -level 10 quests were usually good for like... 120 creds.

Unless, somehow, you're talking about going to say, Taris and going to the level 50 instance and fighting level 50 rakghouls and getting level 50 rewards? Or... the same, but level 60... or level 70? Or worse... level 50, 51, 52.... 68, 69, and 70 instances? How many instances do you want to have for a planet that has no new content on it anyways???

I know! How about an idea where, there are no instances... but, the content that is already there is designed in such a way that regardless of what level of player shows up on the planet, there's something there to challenge the player? And... that player earns XP and rewards appropriate to their level regardless? And... in this scheme, because nothing is instanced, everyone can play together, making the world more vibrant!

...yeah. This is how level sync works.

I'd like to see new content, new quests, and new stories as well... but complaining that the old stories on old planets aren't providing a level appropriate experience to your max level character is just... dumb.

Again, you are coming from the position that the entire game should be nothing but the latest expansion's playground? Are you a content recycling fan by some chance?

unless one is leveling a character through the game's original design and wants that part of the game to be playable separately from the most recent expansion ...

When a game is shiny and new, leveling looks like a pyramid. Lots of content for people at the bottom, and as people leveled up, less and less content at "end game." As a game ages, the pyramid flips. Most of the people playing are now max level, and the tiny point is where the actual new players are. SWTOR is at this state. The big problem with this, is the player base has flipped, but the available content has not. Level Sync might not be ideal, but it is a way to flip that pyramid over for content, to match the shift in player base. So, the majority of the players are looking for that end game content. So... I'm not a fan of recycling, so much as I am a pragmatist. I understand why SWTOR has made a decision to scale high level players to low level content.

...and this is content low level players weren't doing, even if this content is on low level planets.

So? Let there be both and let the players decide what they want to do. Shoehorning the game's entire population into one box for fear that they'd actually enjoy playing outside the box is more paranoia than business plan.
Uhm..... no. It's just the way the game has been redesigned so content that was going to waste could be used again.

Cool. For our guild it killed one night a week of lowbie heroic, flashpoint, HM and Ops farming ... which was also the platform we used for mentoring players trying out new classes and builds as they acquired them.
How?

...I mean, really. How did this "kill" this activity? I'd be very interested in you walking me through how this actually works.

I'd be very interested in you walking me through how this actually works.
I already did ... multiple times in two threads. And I doubt that further exchanges will make a difference. Why? Because this is no longer a discussion. It's become a patronizing sales pitch for Biowarenomics, and I'm immune to sales pitches. You're uncomfortable with what I wrote and summed up your thought process quite succinctly:

You have a good day mate ... I'm not going there.

Edited by GalacticKegger

You have yet to explain how Level Sync is actually bad for the game.

You've said that it has killed your guild's Heroic/Flashpoint Mentor night.... but you didn't say HOW... and you can't say how, because there's no plausible reason that it would have.

You've said that the leveling was "more robust" before Level Sync, but again, have failed to say how. I would argue that the new system is far more dynamic (and therefore preferable) to the old system. Players now have the option to do their Class Quests and then Bounce... or, they can stay on a planet as long as they want and continue to get rewards for their time... I can't envision how this wouldn't be better than the "old way" where we were forced to hit the side quests to level.

...again. If you're going to ask for a thing (Level Sync) you need to be able to explain why this would be a good thing. And you haven't. You SAY you have... but you're not providing any sort of evidence. Nothing Level Sync actually does stops you from playing the game the way you say you want to... if anything, it makes it easier for you to play this way; at least from everything you've claimed.

You have yet to explain how Level Sync is actually bad for the game.

You've said that it has killed your guild's Heroic/Flashpoint Mentor night.... but you didn't say HOW... and you can't say how, because there's no plausible reason that it would have.

You've said that the leveling was "more robust" before Level Sync, but again, have failed to say how. I would argue that the new system is far more dynamic (and therefore preferable) to the old system. Players now have the option to do their Class Quests and then Bounce... or, they can stay on a planet as long as they want and continue to get rewards for their time... I can't envision how this wouldn't be better than the "old way" where we were forced to hit the side quests to level.

...again. If you're going to ask for a thing (Level Sync) you need to be able to explain why this would be a good thing. And you haven't. You SAY you have... but you're not providing any sort of evidence. Nothing Level Sync actually does stops you from playing the game the way you say you want to... if anything, it makes it easier for you to play this way; at least from everything you've claimed.

I will answer you from my perspective anyway. Back before Level sync the player spent far more time on the character. The quests (which were built for certain levels) were close to the characters level, making them more challenging due to the fact the character didn't have access to abilities far past the level they were supposed to be at for those planets. The players because of this had to LEARN the class they were playing unlike today where it's just mainly AOE until everything is dead and half*** a rotation to kill a single target boss (which was made easier because you have higher level abilites). Consider fighting Baras as a warrior back before level sync at level 50. You had to know your class abilites, and the fight mechanics or you'd die very easily. Now you just slaughter him in 2-3 seconds while being bored. This has been bad for the game.

Edit: Level Sync has basically made the game so easy during the leveling process, that the newer players that have joined after it came out are generally (not in all cases) worse players when it comes to end game whether PvP or PvE in part because of it. They simply don't know the classes as well as they should.

Edited by Toraak

I'm inclined to tell you that "Learn 2 Play, Noob" is not the game developers problem, and never has been, regardless of whether you're talking about SWTOR or any other MMO. This is also not a new development... I know I've run players through The False Emperor back when the Level Cap was 60, pre Level Sync. My 60 Raid Geared Tank ran a couple of mid-40s toons through this. The Juggernaut constantly rolled Need on Light Armour and Will Gear. He was equipping it, too. It had higher level and better grades than gear he had, so he thought it was an upgrade.

Now, players are leveling faster because XP for class quests is 12x what it used to be. This is to allow everyone to level faster. This is in response to two factors:

• Veteran players make alts to replay the beloved story classes... but hate having to slog through side quests

• New players are always eager to get to "the good stuff" (meaning end game).

Level Sync is in response to this... if a player does want to stay on a planet they've outleveled, because they want to earn the gear, or see the stories, they can do this without being penalized by staying.

...and I'm still seeing that the effect of Level Sync is completely opposite of what you're claiming. You're saying it becomes too easy as players outlevel the content. It is still more challenging to be a level 30 something synced down to level 26 on a level 24 planet than it is to be level 30 on a level 24 planet without being scaled down.

The claim that being scaled DOWN in level makes things EASIER is... by every logical process patently false. Being scaled down is going to be more difficult than NOT being scaled down. Like, the Baras fight... sure, it's easy because a character's actual level is probably around 60, when it used to be 50... but this is still a more difficult fight than it would be if the player were allowed to go in at level 60 without being scaled down.

...if you want to argue that the scaling hasn't been done correctly, and should be revisited and fixed... then you won't get an argument from me. I totally believe that this is true. It often feels like our Companions could solo most content while we eat popcorn.

I'm inclined to tell you that "Learn 2 Play, Noob" is not the game developers problem, and never has been, regardless of whether you're talking about SWTOR or any other MMO. This is also not a new development... I know I've run players through The False Emperor back when the Level Cap was 60, pre Level Sync. My 60 Raid Geared Tank ran a couple of mid-40s toons through this. The Juggernaut constantly rolled Need on Light Armour and Will Gear. He was equipping it, too. It had higher level and better grades than gear he had, so he thought it was an upgrade.

Now, players are leveling faster because XP for class quests is 12x what it used to be. This is to allow everyone to level faster. This is in response to two factors:

• Veteran players make alts to replay the beloved story classes... but hate having to slog through side quests

• New players are always eager to get to "the good stuff" (meaning end game).

Level Sync is in response to this... if a player does want to stay on a planet they've outleveled, because they want to earn the gear, or see the stories, they can do this without being penalized by staying.

...and I'm still seeing that the effect of Level Sync is completely opposite of what you're claiming. You're saying it becomes too easy as players outlevel the content. It is still more challenging to be a level 30 something synced down to level 26 on a level 24 planet than it is to be level 30 on a level 24 planet without being scaled down.

The claim that being scaled DOWN in level makes things EASIER is... by every logical process patently false. Being scaled down is going to be more difficult than NOT being scaled down. Like, the Baras fight... sure, it's easy because a character's actual level is probably around 60, when it used to be 50... but this is still a more difficult fight than it would be if the player were allowed to go in at level 60 without being scaled down.

...if you want to argue that the scaling hasn't been done correctly, and should be revisited and fixed... then you won't get an argument from me. I totally believe that this is true. It often feels like our Companions could solo most content while we eat popcorn.

Actually it is not false. For instance your a level 42 on a Gunslinger. your bashing on the enemies with Proc's that fit your end game rotation nicely, thus you kill even more effectively regardless if your on Coruscant at that level or Belsavis (which is the planet for that level). Having abilities (or procs) due to the fact you are overleveled Definitely make the game 100 times easier. Honestly if you think otherwise, then your not paying attention to what abilities mesh well with each other, and working to build combinations that will end up being a main stay in your end game rotations.

Level sync has definitely made the Leveling Process way to easy, making it so people do not learn what abilities Sync together, how to use Interuppts, CC's, and move out of stupid because your companion can heal like a god now.

I agree with this specific point completely. The level sync allows players who want to do the side quests and planetary missions to experience the planet at the level it is intended for. Otherwise, they'd end up blazing through.

Actually it is not false. For instance your a level 42 on a Gunslinger. your bashing on the enemies with Proc's that fit your end game rotation nicely, thus you kill even more effectively regardless if your on Coruscant at that level or Belsavis (which is the planet for that level). Having abilities (or procs) due to the fact you are overleveled Definitely make the game 100 times easier. Honestly if you think otherwise, then your not paying attention to what abilities mesh well with each other, and working to build combinations that will end up being a main stay in your end game rotations.

Level sync has definitely made the Leveling Process way to easy, making it so people do not learn what abilities Sync together, how to use Interuppts, CC's, and move out of stupid because your companion can heal like a god now.

This logically makes no sense.

When a character is level 42 (or whatever) they have the same abilities regardless of scaling. Let's say they go back to Coruscant (Level 16 to 20?) so they get scaled down to level 22. Follow?

Regardless of whether they are scaled or not, they have the same learned skills and trained masteries. OK?

But if they are scaled, their effective Mastery (and total Power) and Endurance (and total Health) are capped, OK? So... if they are on a level 16 to 20 planet, and they are level 42 with level 42 abilities, masteries, and uncapped Mastery and Endurance they are... without any possibility of contradiction... more powerful than if they are scaled down, so that their Mastery and Endurance is comparable to a level 22 character.

Using this as an argument against Level Sync is an argument that 22 is somehow greater than 42... and it just isn't. 42 is always... it's a mathematical fact... greater than 22. ALWAYS.