BW Does not care about solo/story players?!?!

psandak

Yes its very little....and I don't see there is a reason to be happy about it. As I said I am also a pvper, but if I was only that I would have left because of what they did with pvp in 5.0...I don't think I can feel good and say this is a good patch when it gives almost nothing and what have we gotten the rest of this year? - small bits of content here and there...If I was some new player or non-sw fan I would have left years ago...This is not remotely enough content to keep any of the non-hardcore fans...

All I am saying is putting aside being a story player, I dont get anything that can keep me playing for a whole year also as pvper and pver. Mothly Chapers were more content than this lol...This focus on group content this year has brought very little.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its true...but I am counting it from the beginning of this year. Also its not hard to guess this kind of content is going to be the only thing we receive. I hope I am wrong but a new expansion seems out of the question. What I am supposed to stay subbed to from now on...waiting for a FP every 4-5 months/twice a year, a new pvp map and a OPS or some parts of it.

DvL was not content. It was a reward system that rewarded existing old content.

Ok yeah, it was not new content, but people who did not group could not do more than first 2 tiers. Point is it forced grouping to do it. More chapters were added than anything else. I agree. But most everyone did those. Not just solo players. They were not catered to. Everyone got the same except group got a bigger push to YES repeat the same old same, but they still got more than solo/story only players.

Due to personal stuff I wasn't subbed during the two years that Kotfe and Jotete came out. When I resubbed I buzzed right through all of it. Didn't love it, hated losing my companions, thought there were some gaping plot holes, but I didn't hate it either. Now, I can see why group content players lost patience and I agree they should have been getting content as well. Still, for someone like myself it feels like nothing new has has come down the pike for story.solo, at least nothing with any real substance.

I like that they're trying to add more than one type of gameplay and I think they should continue to do so. That being said, I think they need to change their execution. Personally, I would prefer a content rotation rather than a snippet for everyone in every update. For example, one patch adds a completed op, the next a chunk of story driven content, after that an update focused on pvp, and so forth (listed in random order, not suggesting one type of play is more important than the other.). I don't think anyone is enjoying the slow drip, rationing of content. I'm a story/solo player but I'd gladly wait for content if I knew that when it came it would be more than two minutes of poorly constructed story that was followed by a buggy flashpoint. Yes, the wait would be longer but at least I'd know the content was coming and would be substantial enough to make the wait worth it.

All I am saying is putting aside being a story player, I dont get anything that can keep me playing for a whole year also as pvper and pver. Mothly Chapers were more content than this lol...This focus on group content this year has brought very little.

It's an MMO. MMOs have always counted on you chasing a carrot on a stick or grinding away at something to keep you going until they can turn out something new. This is no different. One new flashpoint. Yes they indeed do intend for you to grind away on that one flashpoint until new content can be produced. That's why the new augments are tied to it. Chase that stat bump! It is what it is.

Edited by kodrac

Due to personal stuff I wasn't subbed during the two years that Kotfe and Jotete came out. When I resubbed I buzzed right through all of it. Didn't love it, hated losing my companions, thought there were some gaping plot holes, but I didn't hate it either. Now, I can see why group content players lost patience and I agree they should have been getting content as well. Still, for someone like myself it feels like nothing new has has come down the pike for story.solo, at least nothing with any real substance.

I like that they're trying to add more than one type of gameplay and I think they should continue to do so. That being said, I think they need to change their execution. Personally, I would prefer a content rotation rather than a snippet for everyone in every update. For example, one patch adds a completed op, the next a chunk of story driven content, after that an update focused on pvp, and so forth (listed in random order, not suggesting one type of play is more important than the other.). I don't think anyone is enjoying the slow drip, rationing of content. I'm a story/solo player but I'd gladly wait for content if I knew that when it came it would be more than two minutes of poorly constructed story that was followed by a buggy flashpoint. Yes, the wait would be longer but at least I'd know the content was coming and would be substantial enough to make the wait worth it.

Agree, they need to stop with the little at a time mess. I'll pay for a complete xpac with story, 3-4 new Fp's, 1 new op, 2 new wz's. You know..like everyone else does. But the way it's set up right now. They can't do a two year development on a complete xpac because someone chooses to make them not look ahead of six months. And even then they spend far too much time fixing after released. Hopefully this last two years was just that. Something to do so real development on a complete one could be made and it's hush, hush right now. Doubt it though.

Edited by Malphicious

I always find it quite hard to see in general when players don't want things they aren't interested in to be added to the game. I only care for Warzones and Story, but a large portion of people care for group play, what do you think is going to happen when they don't appeal to more players than you and the like minded individual? You won't have a game to play for long.

I don't know how people can be so self absorbed.:rak_02:

Then we can see the opposite side whine and give them the response they are giving us now. It's a vicious cycle.:rak_03:

WINNER!!!!!!!^^^^^ we need all types of content supported. The next couple of months will be lean due to the server merge changes etc. The summer and fall of nerfs wasnt a good idea but I can understand the manpower required for the merger initiative.

I would prefer a content rotation rather than a snippet for everyone in every update. For example, one patch adds a completed op, the next a chunk of story driven content, after that an update focused on pvp, and so forth (listed in random order, not suggesting one type of play is more important than the other.).

We might prefer it, but it might seem like telling fans of particular content that they'd be wise to unsub until the next release of their preferred content, which I don't think is a message Bioware want to send. The drip-drip method is probably the best way for them to retain players of most kinds.

Edited by Estelindis

Ok yeah, it was not new content, but people who did not group could not do more than first 2 tiers. Point is it forced grouping to do it. More chapters were added than anything else. I agree. But most everyone did those. Not just solo players. They were not catered to. Everyone got the same except group got a bigger push to YES repeat the same old same, but they still got more than solo/story only players.

Funny thing is that what stopped me from achieving max level in DvL was doing all stories again in a short time and doing all FPs. No matter what it is you didn't like, it would keep you from reaching that top level.

In an MMO with multiple things to do, people who only focus on one aspect always lose out. I think that's fine.

I hate the PvP in this game. I was gonna afk warzones for UCs and even that I couldn't get myself to do. I will do the matches to gain the rewards though since I don't have to do a lot of it. I can stomach a few warzones from time to time and with a bit of luck it'll be ok.

Besides, I think the 16 chapters of KotFE which were all new certainly catered to that group above and beyond. So I really don't think you have a leg to stand on.

Funny thing is that what stopped me from achieving max level in DvL was doing all stories again in a short time and doing all FPs. No matter what it is you didn't like, it would keep you from reaching that top level.

In an MMO with multiple things to do, people who only focus on one aspect always lose out. I think that's fine.

I hate the PvP in this game. I was gonna afk warzones for UCs and even that I couldn't get myself to do. I will do the matches to gain the rewards though since I don't have to do a lot of it. I can stomach a few warzones from time to time and with a bit of luck it'll be ok.

Besides, I think the 16 chapters of KotFE which were all new certainly catered to that group above and beyond. So I really don't think you have a leg to stand on.

I did it all lol. I know it appears as if I'm saying solo players got no love, but I'm not. I do as much as is offered, rinse repeat. I just hear this tired argument all the time, that solo players got more, that BW is phasing out group. It's just not the case. If you only PVP, sure you got shafted, but you did it to yourself. You just do Op's, same. You just do story, you were happy for a few hours each release but then what? Every play style got the same thing. What you did or didn't do is on you. No one who plays half a game is getting more than those who play the whole game. "Yeah but you got all those chapters ,bonus chapter, and companion alerts," You didn't?

I did it all lol. I know it appears as if I'm saying solo players got no love, but I'm not. I do as much as is offered, rinse repeat. I just hear this tired argument all the time, that solo players got more, that BW is phasing out group. It's just not the case. If you only PVP, sure you got shafted, but you did it to yourself. You just do Op's, same. You just do story, you were happy for a few hours each release but then what? Every play style got the same thing. What you did or didn't do is on you. No one who plays half a game is getting more than those who play the whole game. "Yeah but you got all those chapters ,bonus chapter, and companion alerts," You didn't?

Well the only reason you hear me say such a thing is because since SoR there has been very little group content coming out till BW changed direction this year. Well, no, that's not the reason, that's the background. The reason for me bringing something like that up, is because there are people here crying that story/solo players get no love. Considering that background I find that rather an exaggeration and frankly untrue. Story/solo players did get a lot in the last couple of years by comparison. Not that they should get less but other player groups should've had more.

I really hope that just like 5.6 does it in a small way, that 6.0 will be an expansion what that broad approach, giving story, FPs, Ops, Warzones etc. so that everybody has some stuff to be excited about and not just some people. Picking one group over others especially in an expansion causes player loss. Go back and forth and you just keep losing players from left to right and back.

My wish for 6.0 is that it's a paid expansion. I am more than willing to pay 40 or 60 bucks or 100 bucks for a SE package as long as it delivers and revitalizes this game. Meagre free expansions don't help in my view. And they can put it on sale 6 months later for all I care. But I'd get a much better feeling from spending money on an expansion that brings the game really forward instead of on cartel packs where I don't see the profits come back in the form of content for the game.

That's why I am happy that they are taking a broader approach. I know people want more but for a patch I think it's cool. I expect more from an expansion though than we've been getting. For some reason they fear asking money for it. Personally that's what I want to spend my money on.

We have...

Massively Multi-Player Online Roll Playing Game.....

Not

Massively Group-Player Online Roll Playing Game....

It means a Persistent game world where many players can play in the same world at the same time. It does NOT specify that the game play MUST be group......

Thank you! I'm tempted to make those two lines my new signature (sorry Quinnmancers - I did say "tempted"). The story was the unique thing about this game that got many people (myself included) playing all those years ago/ Granted there has been a focus on story via kotet and kotfe however those hardly compare to the original stories of this game.

Well the only reason you hear me say such a thing is because since SoR there has been very little group content coming out till BW changed direction this year. Well, no, that's not the reason, that's the background. The reason for me bringing something like that up, is because there are people here crying that story/solo players get no love. Considering that background I find that rather an exaggeration and frankly untrue. Story/solo players did get a lot in the last couple of years by comparison. Not that they should get less but other player groups should've had more.

I really hope that just like 5.6 does it in a small way, that 6.0 will be an expansion what that broad approach, giving story, FPs, Ops, Warzones etc. so that everybody has some stuff to be excited about and not just some people. Picking one group over others especially in an expansion causes player loss. Go back and forth and you just keep losing players from left to right and back.

My wish for 6.0 is that it's a paid expansion. I am more than willing to pay 40 or 60 bucks or 100 bucks for a SE package as long as it delivers and revitalizes this game. Meagre free expansions don't help in my view. And they can put it on sale 6 months later for all I care. But I'd get a much better feeling from spending money on an expansion that brings the game really forward instead of on cartel packs where I don't see the profits come back in the form of content for the game.

That's why I am happy that they are taking a broader approach. I know people want more but for a patch I think it's cool. I expect more from an expansion though than we've been getting. For some reason they fear asking money for it. Personally that's what I want to spend my money on.

I totally agree with you on that Tsillah. Don't want you to think I'm arguing the point that not enough balance to all areas were addressed. I too believe the next one should be a full for sale expansion with more everything in a nice neat little package. Tested and ready to go upon release. I also agree I like whats been shown so far. I think my main point was that what we did get, we all got. It's not fair to call out those who for the most part, stay loyal to the game and yet only play the story. I prefer they don't actually believe they got everything. I think it would be better for all if they did all the group stuff as well and added their input and concerns about lack of group content or class balance in pvp. I think we would all be better for it, therefore drawing those lines only hurts us all. Had this thread been "Glad to see BW is finally focusing on more than story" I would have just said yes and moved on. But maybe that's why the Op phrased it as they did. To get discussion rather than just a few agreements.:rolleyes:

@IoNonSoEVero,

I saw your post in "call for patience" a thread about RP and server merges. and I just have a comment about a statement you made:

BW did nothing but story and solo play for two years, and now they are switching gears to group content and you complain about it?

Before you jump on me as a "hardcore player" who wants nothing but group content, that cannot be further from the truth. I love the story aspect of SWTOR, I love the ability to play solo when I want to. But I also want new and challenging group content.

Well said OP. And nothing that I saw in the roadmap showed that BW was ignoring solo players. But I guess after 2 years of catering almost exclusively to solo players getting back to the MMO aspect of the game would seem like they are being slighted.

I totally agree with you on that Tsillah. Don't want you to think I'm arguing the point that not enough balance to all areas were addressed. I too believe the next one should be a full for sale expansion with more everything in a nice neat little package. Tested and ready to go upon release. I also agree I like whats been shown so far. I think my main point was that what we did get, we all got. It's not fair to call out those who for the most part, stay loyal to the game and yet only play the story. I prefer they don't actually believe they got everything. I think it would be better for all if they did all the group stuff as well and added their input and concerns about lack of group content or class balance in pvp. I think we would all be better for it, therefore drawing those lines only hurts us all. Had this thread been "Glad to see BW is finally focusing on more than story" I would have just said yes and moved on. But maybe that's why the Op phrased it as they did. To get discussion rather than just a few agreements.:rolleyes:

Yeah I realised we were in agreement. I was just expanding on my thoughts. :)

This is a Story Based Game and Looking at well....Everything up until now it has been single player stories. Now they have said they're moving away from their original format of SWTOR into Flashpoints instead because Multiple Players can also do that Type of Content. Eight Class stories now were all at one. More then 2 years since our Class Specific companions and in that time all these Generalized for all opposite of Unique companions. From here indefinitely One Size Fits All flashpoints (Most likely Umbara size) non class specific. This is...or Was a "Story Based Game" everything else was second and always has been until now. If I wanted to play with groups or massive wars with who knows how many players on the battlefield at once I would go to those games, If I want to go to a one person game, I play here. Every game except this one is groups some massive. Everything after the class stories downsized to Empire or Republic and everything after the start of Zakuul downsized and generalized all the players into one (That's a whole lot of downsizing and changing the games core format). Now it seems they want to produce 1 *Bit of events for everybody at once. And Downsizing again from that its Nolonger Chapters AnD Flashpoints again they're Combining those into one general Event so generalized like the Zakuul may lack anything Specific. Story is the backbone of this game Everything else is everything else.

1 Story based Game, 1000's of group based games.

Those are secondary, sidelines, the class stories were the core.

You view it differently than I do then. To me, the class stories were to entertain you while you got to end game. End game, since the story was non-repeatable, is where most of your play time in an MMO takes place.

Is it really that strange that people who played the game for what it was: a single player BioWare RPG with a few tacked on group elements are upset when after years of sticking with that single player story focus the focus suddenly shifts and single player story was dropped like a bad habit? If you'd been buying and enjoying Hawaiian pizza for years and suddenly the pizza company decides it's going to just put pineapple in the box and skip the actual pizza, you'd be going "***, this isn't what I was here for" too. Single player story was always the bulk and focus of the game with strongholds, operations, PvP, etc...being small accents and now suddenly it's not. If I need to learn the definition of MMORPG then so did BioWare when they made SWtOR because what they actually did was make one of their usual single player games but with multi player elements tacked on. This is the only MMO I play because it's not like your typical boring, shallow, combat/grinding focused, "collect 1000 rat tails over and over until you're strong enough to fight the same bosses over and over while being trash talked by 13 year olds the whole way" game. I really don't understand what people see in those kinds of games and I don't understand why people want to make SWtOR into that.

I mostly play swtor for the story and as a single player, but even I think the multiplayer aspects needed to be addressed.

This is a MMO. I would love for them to pump out single player content, but as a game within the MMO market, advertised as a MMO when launched, the devs cannot neglect the multiplayer component.

You view it differently than I do then. To me, the class stories were to entertain you while you got to end game. End game, since the story was non-repeatable, is where most of your play time in an MMO takes place.

I'm one of the "class stories" were the meat of the game sorts. I had to get over that, though as time went on although I did just take a stroll down memory lane with the class stories. I have NEVER been in a rush to end game in MMOs because that's where the troubles usually start (for me). I'm not a raider (EQ cured me of that) nor am I a competitive sort so gearing up isn't a priority. My stance on gear is so long as it's good enough to get me through whatever content I'm doing, I'm good and since I don't do OPs or PvP, I'm pretty easy on gear.

I think the folks I know are about 50/50 on this. Those who consider everything prior to end-game as something that needs to be done to get to end-game and those like myself for whom it's the journey, not the destination.