BW Does not care about solo/story players?!?!

psandak

It won't go well when either group leaves. The majority however left close to launch because there wasn't anything engaging to do after the story.

Shouldn't that at least ring some kind of bell? This game does need group play just like it does story. We just can't always have both at the same time.

5minutesof story isn't enough and I'd like more too, but if EA isn't willing to provide the money, what are we supposed to do?:rak_02: apart from complain. At this point I take what I can get.:rak_03:

Story at least doesn't require people to continuesly sub, some of my friends take comfort in that. It's less money for BW, but that's just how it is. /Shrug.

Meh im a story player and stay subbed. Between content droughts I go redo all the class stories etc again but that doesn't mean I don't wanna see new stuff as well !

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh im a story player and stay subbed. Between content droughts I go redo all the class stories etc again but that doesn't mean I don't wanna see new stuff as well !

Same here. Ideally, there would be content for all player "styles" added but if that's not feasible, then I can wait. Goal is to keep the game going.

I'm the same way and I'm levelling my third:rak_03: Juggernaut! I love the Warrior story. But I'd love to see new content too.

Keith did say he wasn't going to comment on "next year's expansion":rak_03:

I'm sure it comes with a plethora of story!!

Same here. Ideally, there would be content for all player "styles" added but if that's not feasible, then I can wait. Goal is to keep the game going.

Indeed!

Edited by Eshvara

The fact is there is no reason they can't do BOTH at the same time.

It would appear that BW don't have the budget, resources or staff to do a fraction of what people want. They dug a deep hole that they're trying to get out of.

If people's needs are neglected for too long they leave. Some return, many don't. - That means revenue is down. that means that less content is produced and the cycle repeats. It's a downward spiral.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

I'm the same way and I'm levelling my third:rak_03: Juggernaut! I love the Warrior story. But I'd love to see new content too.

Keith did say he wasn't going to comment on "next year's expansion":rak_03:

I'm sure it comes with a plethora of story!!

That would be why I am still here -- not only do I love the game on the whole but, I also live in hope for whats around the corner.

Also Theron. ;)

While I can appreciate the sentiment here...

What do you think they've been doing for the past two years? Largely solo/story play.

The real problem isn't that they don't like 'x' style play group over another. The problem is that their staff size and schedule only allows them to do so much in a year, unfortunately. The problem being though that instead of hammering out a yearly plan that lets them touch a little on all bases--- we usually wind up with something that goes overboard in one direction or stalls in another.

But... yeah... not caring about solo/story players? I'm not buying that for a second. The past two years especially has been almost focused on that. Aside from OPs and WBs and a few select things... most things can be done solo now. That is really kind of a big problem for a mmorpg when you stop and think back on the history of these.

I sound too crabby... I need a Snickers.

I just mean to say... I doubt solo play is going away and we're suddenly going to have to group just to kill one npc or to do our solo content. But some of us have lived through mmorpgs like that-- and they were kind of fun when you engaged other people to help you out.

What do you think they've been doing for the past two years? Largely solo/story play.

The real problem isn't that they don't like 'x' style play group over another. The problem is that their staff size and schedule only allows them to do so much in a year, unfortunately. The problem being though that instead of hammering out a yearly plan that lets them touch a little on all bases--- we usually wind up with something that goes overboard in one direction or stalls in another.

But... yeah... not caring about solo/story players? I'm not buying that for a second. The past two years especially has been almost focused on that. Aside from OPs and WBs and a few select things... most things can be done solo now. That is really kind of a big problem for a mmorpg when you stop and think back on the history of these.

I sound too crabby... I need a Snickers.

I just mean to say... I doubt solo play is going away and we're suddenly going to have to group just to kill one npc or to do our solo content. But some of us have lived through mmorpgs like that-- and they were kind of fun when you engaged other people to help you out.

I lived through everquest early days where it was ALL group content save for one or two classes that could solo some stuff -- let me tell you it's not so much fun as you think, especially not for people with social anxieties or those with limited time. Even in a guild getting a group organized can be a nightmare of 'just a sec gotta do this first' etc. You can litterally spend 2hrs organizing for 1 hr of game play.

That isnt the worst of it either. They started up instances which weren't a thing in any mmo before that -- Legacy of Yukesha or something close to that. Instances with a goal of doing a specific thing in a set time - like say kill x mobs or get to and kill the boss etc all which required a group-- these where nightmares of people being elitists if anyone so much as made a single mistake and the *entire* game was based around this -- grouping -- even just to level. . Every group was the same. Sure there was some fun but on the whole it was more often then not a very stressful experience and the reason why I prefer solo content now. When you play for a few hours straight -- someones bound to make ine mistake, someone else will get pissy and someone will rage quit, suddenly that fun isn't so much fun especially if the slip up happened to be yours -- and if it wasnt your sitting on the edge of your seat hoping it *wont* be.

Then you have WoW where you can do an entire quest chain solo -- only to discover the last step of the quest requires a group to complete -- the most frustrating thing ever.

SWTOR and before it guildwars where both breaths of fresh air in that reguards, story and quest chains not being gated behind group content and for that I'll be forever grateful for enjoyable mmo experiences. I like meeting new people, making friends, talking etc but I don't nessesarily want to step into stressful group situations with them. Everyone gets something different from these games, for me thats my thing. Social without stress and without hitting gates!

Edited by Suzsi

@IoNonSoEVero,

I saw your post in "call for patience" a thread about RP and server merges. and I just have a comment about a statement you made:

BW did nothing but story and solo play for two years, and now they are switching gears to group content and you complain about it?

Before you jump on me as a "hardcore player" who wants nothing but group content, that cannot be further from the truth. I love the story aspect of SWTOR, I love the ability to play solo when I want to. But I also want new and challenging group content.

I agree, the focus of the last two years with KotFE and KotET was solo-play and story, so it's only fair the group content areas of the game get some more attention this year. And I say that as a proud story-player and rp'er :)

I get you, I get you.

But SWTOR has done nothing but improve on solo play since launch. I just can't see them making it harder on solo players is all. As in, I don't think they're going to take away the ability to do stuff that we can't already currently do solo. At least, it doesn't look like it to me.

Even back at launch here it once was possible to roadblock yourself on a planet where you had to grind mobs to get enough xp to get to the next leg of your story. I just don't see them back peddling on that.

I have a strong feeling too that while, yes, it does look like they're planning on group stuff judging by the road map. I have to believe they'll still have some [solo]/[story] styled options for new group content going forward.

Edited by LunaticFringer

I lived through everquest early days where it was ALL group content save for one or two classes that could solo some stuff -- let me tell you it's not so much fun as you think, especially not for people with social anxieties or those with limited time. Even in a guild getting a group organized can be a nightmare of 'just a sec gotta do this first' etc. You can litterally spend 2hrs organizing for 1 hr of game play.

I still remember kiting with my druid. Took forever and that was one of the "faster" classes for leveling.

Never. Again.

I agree with the organisation issues as well. I'm retired now but I remember evenings where by the time we got sorted, my gaming time was up. So frustrating.

Happily those days are gone.

I still remember kiting with my druid. Took forever and that was one of the "faster" classes for leveling.

Never. Again.

I agree with the organisation issues as well. I'm retired now but I remember evenings where by the time we got sorted, my gaming time was up. So frustrating.

Happily those days are gone.

My druid was life when I needed a break from the stress! Plus it was kinda fun being one of few who could get a druid to work right quad kiting etc but yep never again ! Glad to look forward and not step back into the grinding nightmare. Probs why it still amuses me now when others say stuff like cxp is a grind -- which it is but -- compared to the everquest grind they know nothing! Lol

My druid was life when I needed a break from the stress! Plus it was kinda fun being one of few who could get a druid to work right quad kiting etc but yep never again ! Glad to look forward and not step back into the grinding nightmare. Probs why it still amuses me now when others say stuff like cxp is a grind -- which it is but -- compared to the everquest grind they know nothing! Lol

Yeah...there's no comparison. I loved EQ in some ways but boy, once there were alternatives? ZOOOOOM! I did some raiding and that was the final straw for me. I can't imagine how folks these days would feel about that grind. I don't think it'd go over well...especially that lovely "feature" where you could actually lose your level if you died too soon after leveling. I hated that.

Legacy of Ykesha is where I learned to hate the PUG. *shudder* I had even forgotten about that expansion until you mentioned it ... thanks a lot. :p Also, I played a cleric so it was like, "So-sol- ... wait I can't pronounce that word .. s-o-l-o ... what does it mean?"

In SWTOR, I'm mainly a solo player. But I understand the need to appeal to and create content for other playstyles. More people staying or resubbing is a good thing, even if I have to wait for content for my preferred style of play.

A market strategy must try to please 2 or more factions when making a product or changing a current one.

As it is in SWTOR - they have to try and give Story players some action and group people some action,trying to please both crowds. I support their way this time.

The fact is there is no reason they can't do BOTH at the same time.

They are doing both. He may not be happy with it but a new FP that continues the story that will have a solo mode just like Umbara and therefore is also content for solo/story players. Not to mention the return of a companion.

I'm sure he wants more, but I also wanted more than one Operation Boss Fight and the PvP'ers also want more than 1 warzone.

The truth is we're all getting something pretty much, even GSF gets a new deathmatch map. I think that's pretty good for a content patch.

For an expansion I do expect more, but I get the feeling that 6.0 is probably not going to come before spring 2018.

Most of 2017 was spent tinkering with CXP. Making it more or less of a PITA than it was when it was introduced. The rest of the time was the Iokath and Umbaara segments. -And 'back end maintenance' - Not a lot to show for a whole years worth of work. -

I'm sure everyone who wanted a change to the gearing system is over the moon. People who thought the old gear system was about right have been left in the cold since Autumn 2016.

It all goes to prove the saying, 'Careful what you wish for....'

DVL was mostly group content. The only solo focus was the chapters which took all of like 4-6 hours each xpac all together once all were released and still had to do ops for mods then CXP. Focus HAS been both. All changes to classes have been made for Ops and/or Pvp balance, not solo. KOTOR was a solo RPG. This is not SWG, it's supposed to be RPG with an option to do group. If you did not do the solo story stuff, you did it wrong. If you did, you got more love than those who just solo the last two years. You got a new op, new modes, uprisings, and more activity in pvp and ops due to CXP and the DVL event. Quit cryin' about people cryin' already. Edited by Malphicious

Oh please, dont make it all about solo content vs group content. It's not like story players get nothing, and everybody else gets tons of stuff.

PvPers get 1 map.

GSF get 1 map

Raiders get 1 boss

story players get 1 fp with 1 story for all.

My point is, everyone gets very little, so no need to antagonize each other, when we all need to be pissed at Bioware and EA.

Edited by Gelious

1 FP with 5 mins of story is nothing....dont make it like its something big. Thats a whole year without any kind of story....So whats better than that...doing 1 OPS everyday for a whole year....yeah that'll work well. Or those uprisings...i couldn't bear make them more than 2,3 times each. How about we compare numbers right now to what they were when they gave us monthly chapters? I think we know the answer to this.............Creating an ALT and do the story over again...LOL and for what...for never being able to use that char for endgame because of GC....And I am saying that considering I love PVP and GSF...but wait...my classes, mainly the DPS Assasins got nerfed to oblivion, my favourite Anni Mara, which i have spend close to year and a half on got **** on without need. GSF is fun when you are a good, but for 2 years I have seen mainly the same faces, the same games, the same ships...

New FPS....just lol, do you think ppl want to do that for a whole year...and I even prefer FPs, I like them... but making us to grind one FP as a means to having what to do and for gear and repeatable content is just no-no.

I am all for group content but half an ops, 2 FPS, some Uprisings and 1 new pvp map for a whole year?????????...............I think I'll take those monthly chapters now...there were better at keeping me busy than doing all this "new content".

1 FP with 5 mins of story is nothing.

That is factually false for two reasons.

And really, do you think that PvP'ers feel they can bathe in new content now that they get one new warzone with the same rules as the Alderaan one but for mixed factions?

How about that 5-10 minute boss fight? Is that more than the story people get?

It may not be much for anyone but everybody gets something at least and for a patch this is pretty good. If it was an expansion then it'd be another story.

When's the last time people got ops before this "unfinished" ops?

When was the last wz?

When was the last gsf?

I wasn't playing around the time they got introduced.🤔

To my knowledge nobody exactly gets more than the other, we all get very little.:rak_02:

1 FP with 5 mins of story is nothing....dont make it like its something big. Thats a whole year without any kind of story....So whats better than that...doing 1 OPS everyday for a whole year....yeah that'll work well. Or those uprisings...i couldn't bear make them more than 2,3 times each. How about we compare numbers right now to what they were when they gave us monthly chapters? I think we know the answer to this.............Creating an ALT and do the story over again...LOL and for what...for never being able to use that char for endgame because of GC....And I am saying that considering I love PVP and GSF...but wait...my classes, mainly the DPS Assasins got nerfed to oblivion, my favourite Anni Mara, which i have spend close to year and a half on got **** on without need. GSF is fun when you are a good, but for 2 years I have seen mainly the same faces, the same games, the same ships...

New FPS....just lol, do you think ppl want to do that for a whole year...and I even prefer FPs, I like them... but making us to grind one FP as a means to having what to do and for gear and repeatable content is just no-no.

I am all for group content but half an ops, 2 FPS, some Uprisings and 1 new pvp map for a whole year?????????...............I think I'll take those monthly chapters now...there were better at keeping me busy than doing all this "new content".

That's why it makes no since to say solo players got more for the last two years. They did not, not even if they did all solo content on 52 and did all heroics solo on all 52 everyday. Fact is everybody did the same stuff except people who only solo did not group, do repetitive ops or repetitive wz's. Their fault? Well yeah. But they got no more than anyone else. It's an insane argument for those who do everything to say BW showed more love to those who solo. They just didn't add enough new group for you after you did the solo story stuff.

BW did nothing but story and solo play for two years, and now they are switching gears to group content and you complain about it?

Before you jump on me as a "hardcore player" who wants nothing but group content, that cannot be further from the truth. I love the story aspect of SWTOR, I love the ability to play solo when I want to. But I also want new and challenging group content.

PLUS...there is STILL story content coming. There's no Flashpoint that has been introduced without story preceding it. There's no Operation that has been introduced without story preceding it. Solo story content IS coming...it's just not the ONLY thing coming.