Arcann romance appreciation thread! Haters keep out please!❤

Eshvara

Quinn isn't a mass murderer, nor did he have half his own men executed.

For Quinn - this is an unattainable level. Only great personalities can save or destroy on a galactic scale. The Quinn level is a pitiful semblance of murder. It would have been better if he had not even tried.:cool:

For Quinn - this is an unattainable level. Only great personalities can save or destroy on a galactic scale. The Quinn level is a pitiful semblance of murder. It would have been better if he had not even tried.:cool:

It did always kind of surprise me how he thought he could win against the SW. To me at least, it made no sense at all.🤔

It did always kind of surprise me how he thought he could win against the SW. To me at least, it made no sense at all.🤔

I'd like to think that he went to the fight intending to do his best but knowing he would lose, and that this somehow reconciled his dual loyalty. Yet he seemed genuinely surprised at how things turned out... It was one of the few times his character didn't quite hang together for me. He's generally written so well but the Quinncident has a few gaps.

Question for the class aficionados

Is it possible to play as a pragmatic, direct force user (Grey) Minimal dramatics? :D

I keep trying to make this (Even when I'm not supposed to be :rolleyes:), this character really wants to exist but I have no idea how to go about it - sighs -

Edit:

Machiavellian in the sense your using it JakRoanin.

Edited by DuskIsNotAmused

Personally I think the consular is the least dramatic force-user. The voice acting is very calm, particularly for the female character. However I'm not sure which class offers the best neutral path.

Yeah they would be my pick for low drama too, but I'm not sure if they suffer the same way Jedi knight does (you can be paragon of the order/ Likes hitting things/ Evil). I struggled creating grey pragmatic characters when I played Rep, more so than with Imp, but all Imperial force users have a tendency towards heavy dramatics :D

Question for the class aficionados

Is it possible to play as a pragmatic, direct force user (Grey) Minimal dramatics? :D

I keep trying to make this (Even when I'm not supposed to be :rolleyes:), this character really wants to exist but I have no idea how to go about it - sighs -

Edit:

Machiavellian in the sense your using it JakRoanin.

Is it possible? Of course. Just ask What would Lana do?

PS. Then watch Lananites hang you.

There seemed to be some miss communication in her thread :( But we do know what it's like to have our interest in a character attacked (Arcann etc.). Lana receives a lot of hate as well (of the biowares favourite variety, Theron too).

It's all mostly frustration, when it isn't trolls or people who want to change your mind, everyone has favourites and we'de all like too see them have more screen-time. With the current uncertainty in that area people are getting hostile/quick to anger with each other :( I'm sorry you ended up suffering for this, I didn't read your posts as anti Lana (I'm quite/ very :o:D fond of our dark adviser and I didn't read it that way :)) .

Funny - I would LOVE if we could play a Machiavellian Sith or Agent Commander.

If we talk about characters in SWTOR – Valkorion on Zakuul even managed “being loved” part (at the expence of Sith Empire). Maybe Jadus or Vowrawn? LS/Grey Sith Inquisitor have shades of this, if you think that they mask “do not go on killing spree without good reason” by pretending being differently rational.

Lana I do see as someone who aspire for that particular type of leadership. But she fails at “10 steps ahead of everyone” part. For now ;). Give her time and who knows? Of course if Theron IS a triple agent and Lana was on it, then I will take that back. And if that plan can be explained logically and she was the mastermind behind it, I will give her 8 out of 10 on Magnificent Bastard and Pragmatic Hero scales (and no one will ever convince me that Commander is not a puppet king).

As for Arcann - nope. Started well, but failed at "avoid being hated" part. Hard.

P.S. The only character I can come up on the top of my head that I can call Machiavellian is Vetinary from Terry Pratchett Disk World series.

Edited by RandomName_Ru

Fear of Darth Baras most likely got him motivated.

From what I recall he says something like,"I've seen you fight and my calculations said I could defeat you" or something along those lines.

Then he summons two droids and himself and that's somehow enough?

It's like he hasn't been traveling with the pc at all.:rak_02:

And then he seems to be surprised that his plan failed. Two droids and a guy with a gun.:rak_02::rak_02:

From what I recall he says something like,"I've seen you fight and my calculations said I could defeat you" or something along those lines.

Then he summons two droids and himself and that's somehow enough?

It's like he hasn't been traveling with the pc at all.:rak_02:

And then he seems to be surprised that his plan failed. Two droids and a guy with a gun.:rak_02::rak_02:

Gameplay and story segregation? Overleveling? Baras fight supposed to be hard too, but... well.

Or maybe PC SW had the same weakness against droids as Scourge...

Or it was an elaborate suicide attempt to avoid all this conflicting loyalties dilemma.

Of course Quinn can be very enthusiastic about killing SW and he still brings same 2 droids.

Maybe he was thinking that SW will go down fast without the healer? I know some do... :rak_02:

Edited by RandomName_Ru

Gameplay and story segregation? Overleveling? Baras fight supposed to be hard too, but... well.

Or it was an elaborate suicide attempt to avoid all this conflicting loyalties dilemma.

Of course Quinn can be very enthusiastic about killing SW and he still brings same 2 droids.

Maybe he was thinking that SW will go down fast without the healer? I know some do... :rak_02:

I laughed harder than I should have :D

Poor guy is so done with Sith drama

Edited by DuskIsNotAmused

Even before 2.0, this particular fight is very easy without healer so......Either he didn't really know the SW too well or it's a suicide attempt. The Baras fight wasn't that hard back then I recalled. But it sure took longer than what it is nowadays. I remember back in the day some of the story boss fights would need a bit effort to beat too if you're not very well geared and overleveled.

I'm not sure how to take it that he could have been so wrong!:rak_03:

Though in all seriousness, I think that they should have cut out the betrayal part after Quinn was no longer killable. It only brought frustration to those who did want to kill him but couldn't. It also didn't really have any bearing on the story afterwards to my memory.

I remember telling him that he's no longer allowed in my quarters, then when you're back on the ship, you can basically have sex with him right after.😦?

:rak_03:Weird.

Edited by Eshvara

I remember telling him that he's no longer allowed in my quarters, then when you're back on the ship, you can have sex with him basically right after.😦?

:rak_03:Weird.

I bring this up a lot, it's because the companion chats are not connected to the story in regards to what's said really, so one of my SW's had to break up with him twice! after the fight then in the ship when he got the more forceful companion chat where he's ready for well.. something. and I'm like uh nope, I already said no!

edit: not my only romance "what?" thing at the moment. My SI who had never been with anyone except Andronikos apparently has the break-up with Lana, Theron or Koth quest.. she had never even flirted with any of those once. :D

Edited by Asmodesu

Yeah they ****ed up with this storyline. To make sense you have to time his conversation around it. Either you start the romance way after the incident or before( but this is no longer possible now.)I also don't see how they couldn't add one conversation on ship after the incident back then. But that was long time ago.

edit: not my only romance "what?" thing at the moment. My SI who had never been with anyone except Andronikos apparently has the break-up with Lana, Theron or Koth quest.. she had never even flirted with any of those once. :D

I heard about that! :D

I still haven't had the alliance alert for him. It just won't show up.

It's not really a storyline I've ever heavily looked into, but from what other's have said to me the timing for the whole arc is odd. I mean why propose when you know your going to perform a betrayal down the line, likely sooner rather than later? His reticence to begin a relationship could be partly because of the deception, working on the assumption that his character is generally interested...not all of these things add together :rak_02: I wonder if his character had several very different iterations and they never really settled on one continuity? Unfortunate for people that connected with him :( and his return in KotET is unkind considering it was already a confusing stance and then they gave the potential for it to happen again without any real clarification... Edited by DuskIsNotAmused

It's not really a storyline I've ever heavily looked into, but from what other's have said to me the timing for the whole arc is odd. I mean why propose when you know your going to perform a betrayal down the line, likely sooner rather than later? His reticence to begin a relationship could be partly because of the deception, working on the assumption that his character is generally interested...not all of these things add together :rak_02: I wonder if his character had several very different iterations and they never really settled on one continuity? Unfortunate for people that connected with him :( and his return in KotET is unkind considering it was already a confusing stance and then they gave the potential for it to happen again without any real clarification...

You cannot marry Quinn before the incident anymore, just so you know. That used to happen because every single companion conversation was tied to affection score, now it's tied to class story progression. His is a very "I'm military and not sith, you're my master this feels odd" and works it's way from there with all the companion quests as he gets a bit tougher, more ruthless (assassinating a Moff etc) and then is finally fine with the relationship. He's an odd one.

I very much prefer the romances that are with characters that 'grow' over time. Like Arcann has a big arc, so interest is there. Quinn grows, Theron has a good one during SoR if you're playing an Imperial, lots of hesitation at first. Andronikos feels like he treats the SI as any other woman he meets right from the get go, but that's just me. Stuff like that.

It's not really a storyline I've ever heavily looked into, but from what other's have said to me the timing for the whole arc is odd. I mean why propose when you know your going to perform a betrayal down the line, likely sooner rather than later? His reticence to begin a relationship could be partly because of the deception, working on the assumption that his character is generally interested...not all of these things add together :rak_02: I wonder if his character had several very different iterations and they never really settled on one continuity? Unfortunate for people that connected with him :( and his return in KotET is unkind considering it was already a confusing stance and then they gave the potential for it to happen again without any real clarification...

I'm going to make so many spelling mistakes writing on my phone and my autocorrect trying to change everything into Finnish words, but I just had to comment this. Sorry :D

I don't think Quinn was planning to backstab the pc from the start. He was Baras' spy, but pc was Baras' apprentice, so they were on the same side. I always thought Quinn viewed his position as someone making sure pc was not planning against his Master and informing Baras if s/he did. The situation only got bad once Baras decided to get rid of the pc, at which point Quinn had conflicting loyalities (or, if pc was rude and outright destructive towards Empire, I guess he didn't). I don't think he was actively planning his betrayal, not until he was ordered to do it. But that just my view as a fan and I agree that there are things that don't make sense (like him having the same dialogue no matter if he loved or hated the pc)

Anyway, I promise to comment something more Arcann-y Once I get back home! Posts made on phone during lunch breaking aren't my favorite form of communication. :D

Edited by Seireeni

You cannot marry Quinn before the incident anymore, just so you know. That used to happen because every single companion conversation was tied to affection score, now it's tied to class story progression. His is a very "I'm military and not sith, you're my master this feels odd" and works it's way from there with all the companion quests as he gets a bit tougher, more ruthless (assassinating a Moff etc) and then is finally fine with the relationship. He's an odd one.

I very much prefer the romances that are with characters that 'grow' over time. Like Arcann has a big arc, so interest is there. Quinn grows, Theron has a good one during SoR if you're playing an Imperial, lots of hesitation at first. Andronikos feels like he treats the SI as any other woman he meets right from the get go, but that's just me. Stuff like that.

Ah well that's good at least, I remember people being very confused and upset.

Yeah I like development arcs aswell :) they don't necessarily have to be romantic either just something that develops the connection to the character, it's why I wish they had more funding to make scenes work with multiple companions instead of just making one essential; could help with some of the hate/ frustration directed at some characters.