How terrible is it to solo queue as a pub on Harbinger?

Lundorff

Pretty much since 5.0 launch PvP on Harb has been a joke. The gear differential was too fat too early and with the super long gear grind once players committed their mains to imp there was no turning back. For every 1 group of pubs pvping there was probably 10 imp teams going so imp PvPers were max geared much faster.

Almost all 70 PvP wars on Harb are Imp vs Imp because its not for pubs anymore.

Just think about that for a second. This is disasterous. PvP are all practice games, factions are meaningless. So how to fix (asside from waiting for 6.0 to come out in the hopes CXP gearing will be removed):

Make all wars cross faction like the newest one.

- Why this would fix the problem? Because pubs that queue would have a MUCH MUCH MUCH better chance of being on the winning side. (closer to 50%, instead of the 1% or so for solo queues now).

- Anyone that objects to this for the reason that it doesn't make sense for pubs/imps to be fighting together is wrong because it makes even less sense for all wars to be only imps fighting imps while half the server should just leave the game because PvP isn't for them.

The above is the best idea, but other things that could work some instead:

1.) Every loss you get a STACKABLE 10% buff to all stats in PvP, only removable upon a PvP win (or if you leave a war in progress)

2.) Gear wipe with removal of CXP gearing.

3.) Bolster to 250

1.) Every loss you get a STACKABLE 10% buff to all stats in PvP, only removable upon a PvP win (or if you leave a war in progress)

3.) Bolster to 250

Yeah, NONE of these ideas would fix balance in PvP.

1. Yeah! Let's make it to where you can purposefully throw games to lose to get a ******** % of a buff to all your stats in a WZ just to troll someone by practically oneshotting them or making your basic attack hit for 30k+. Perfect idea. 👌

2. Gear wipe as in make all gear meaningless? They wouldn't do that and how's that fair to anyone who's grinded for WEEKS to get their mains to full 248, nevermind any of their alts? A full "gear wipe" isn't fair to everyone, just to those who are still in the process of getting a full 248 set because they wouldn't have to worry about the ****** system anymore.

3. Bolster to 250 is worse than a completely random gear wipe. 1. You're making it to where 248 is irrelevant to get because you can already abuse the living **** out of bolster now to get higher stats a BiS 248 aug'd player when bolster is only set to 238 and you make all progression gearing in PvP go down the drain. 2. ANYONE who spent hours and hours playing to get to 248 will be treated like a peasant. 250 bolster isn't what the community wants. It's the hound of players who are too lazy to adapt to a new gearing system or just quit the game. How many people do you think have full 248? A lot more than you think. And now imagine what they would say if every single one of them were told their grinded gear meant NOTHING in the next update?

It's a notable difference between the two regarding win/loss ratio. It will take you considerably longer to complete dailies/ weeklies and in general you will have many, many "seriously?" moments while PvP'ing Pub.

On Imp when someone does something ridiculous it's a 90% shot they are trolling....On Pub side it's likely they don't know any better....

Edited by Soljin

Yeah, NONE of these ideas would fix balance in PvP.

1. Yeah! Let's make it to where you can purposefully throw games to lose to get a ******** % of a buff to all your stats in a WZ just to troll someone by practically oneshotting them or making your basic attack hit for 30k+. Perfect idea. 👌

2. Gear wipe as in make all gear meaningless? They wouldn't do that and how's that fair to anyone who's grinded for WEEKS to get their mains to full 248, nevermind any of their alts? A full "gear wipe" isn't fair to everyone, just to those who are still in the process of getting a full 248 set because they wouldn't have to worry about the ****** system anymore.

3. Bolster to 250 is worse than a completely random gear wipe. 1. You're making it to where 248 is irrelevant to get because you can already abuse the living **** out of bolster now to get higher stats a BiS 248 aug'd player when bolster is only set to 238 and you make all progression gearing in PvP go down the drain. 2. ANYONE who spent hours and hours playing to get to 248 will be treated like a peasant. 250 bolster isn't what the community wants. It's the hound of players who are too lazy to adapt to a new gearing system or just quit the game. How many people do you think have full 248? A lot more than you think. And now imagine what they would say if every single one of them were told their grinded gear meant NOTHING in the next update?

Well, hopefully they would rejoice that they could play all of their alts without having to go through the boring and completely pointless grind... as someone who is literally an earpiece away from my first full 248 character I would personally be more than happy to watch all of my "work" vanish in exchange for being able to log into any of my numerous alts on 3 servers and play them.

Edited by alexsamma

Solo on pubside is very easy since pubs only ever queue Tanks and Healers. None of them ever die.

Once again that depends on the time of day. I see just as many imp healer tank combos when the reps are in their domination bracket as I see reps when the imps are dominating.

It's happens when one faction is winning the most.

time of day matters but its a crapshoot

you get one of four things. (from a healer's perspective anyway, i rarely play tank/dps on pubside nowadays)

1. You end up on a team of four tanks and four healers, most of which suck balls, and cant kill anything, and just objective spam, which tends to fail more often than not, as the other team never dies and just starts doing the same back.

2. You end up as the solo healer on a team of really really bad dps that have no sense of group play whatsoever, ************ you out in opschat because youre not following each and every one of them all over the map in every direction possible while they try to duel tanks with healer support..... meanwhile the other team figured out youre the only healer and make it their life's work to 5v1 you every time you come out of spawn. Chances are, youll also be the only person even making a halfass attempt to play objective, cap anything, or defend anything as well. Sometimes you will be in the top 3 damage as a healer.... just think about that one for a bit.

3. You end up the solo pub on a team of imps in odessen (i hate odessen personally, but this is usually the best outcome)

4. You actually get into a decent balanced team that quits because someone forgot to guard a node, and give up after one round because god forbid they have to try to come back from a loss. Meanwhile, everyone that stayed, huddles up on the one turret friendly held until the match ends.

You then either ragequit to impside, or roll the dice again for one of the four above outcomes.

Have fun. I get my 20/20 in every week, but its usually ACTUALLY 20 instead of 10-15 for weekly. Pubs are really really really bad.

But we keep on trying, i guess? My dps char pubside is still tier 1, but every time i happen to feel like actually playing it, like magic I at least seem to break a million. Its frustrating to watch man, it really is.

Ill never know why I chose to main healers, at least impside theres a better ratio, and dps that can, ya know, kill things.

Edited by rylanadionysis

time of day matters but its a crapshoot

you get one of four things. (from a healer's perspective anyway, i rarely play tank/dps on pubside nowadays)

1. You end up on a team of four tanks and four healers, most of which suck balls, and cant kill anything, and just objective spam, which tends to fail more often than not, as the other team never dies and just starts doing the same back.

2. You end up as the solo healer on a team of really really bad dps that have no sense of group play whatsoever, ************ you out in opschat because youre not following each and every one of them all over the map in every direction possible while they try to duel tanks with healer support..... meanwhile the other team figured out youre the only healer and make it their life's work to 5v1 you every time you come out of spawn. Chances are, youll also be the only person even making a halfass attempt to play objective, cap anything, or defend anything as well. Sometimes you will be in the top 3 damage as a healer.... just think about that one for a bit.

3. You end up the solo pub on a team of imps in odessen (i hate odessen personally, but this is usually the best outcome)

4. You actually get into a decent balanced team that quits because someone forgot to guard a node, and give up after one round because god forbid they have to try to come back from a loss. Meanwhile, everyone that stayed, huddles up on the one turret friendly held until the match ends.

You then either ragequit to impside, or roll the dice again for one of the four above outcomes.

Have fun. I get my 20/20 in every week, but its usually ACTUALLY 20 instead of 10-15 for weekly. Pubs are really really really bad.

But we keep on trying, i guess? My dps char pubside is still tier 1, but every time i happen to feel like actually playing it, like magic I at least seem to break a million. Its frustrating to watch man, it really is.

Ill never know why I chose to main healers, at least impside theres a better ratio, and dps that can, ya know, kill things.

Better that than on the Shadowlands. Pubs don't even quece anymore unless they are in a pre-made or double pre-made. Not seeing any pure pug pub teams anymore. Same names, same faces, same groups. You'll never face a pub group without healers, skank tanks, and guards up the A-hole. Throw in Voice chat, they couldn't grease the gears any more if they tried. It's becoming like if they don't have an definate advantage over a IMP team right out of the gate, they won't even bother. Terrible. We can thank RBL for that, putting the idea in their heads.

I don't even know how they can have fun that way. What fun is it when even a win is not based on skill but perfect class set ups, heals and guards for everyone, and real time communication. I even ask sometimes - "How do you guys know if you are doing good or not?!?" heh

Could be worse!

I kinda want to see how the other half lives, but I fear the frustration with my team mates would drive me insane. What percentage of the matches would you say you are wining?

This is just in my experience. There are certain times of the day when strong imp premades group, and there are certain times of the day when good pub premades group. I'd say I generally win about 50% of the time on pubs, but that's queuing in either a group of 2,3 or 4. As mentioned in a previous reply, pugging on pubs isn't a great idea in general. I have noticed more players who main imps have moved to pubs, as they no longer need to gear their main toons. But when you find yourself on a bad pub team, they're terrible, much worse than a bad imp team.

are you guys blind? He asked about solo ranked not regs. There's some issues with queing on pub side... A few people sit in que all day waiting for it to pop but they are really bad. 1 guy in particular will sit in que all day just to throw when it actually does pop. Here's an even bigger issue....when the imp side queue is soo full of really bad players, some of the imp's will go to the pub side and que over there. A few thing's happen next.... When other pubs see that ranked is popping, they actually que up. The other day there were 3 pub matches going on because of this effect. However, The imp's do not like it when pubs que solo ranked so there are a couple of imp guilds that will have people they know, THAT HARDLY EVEN QUE RANKED log onto the pub side with the sole purpose of throwing on the pubs in que. This seems soo counter productive to me and extremely childish. Especially when the people that are throwing or having other people throw do or have done the exact same thing! makes sense huh. They call in que syncing since there are soo few pubs in que. But within 1 or 2 matches, there will be 2 or more teams worth of pubs in que the chances of there actually being a que sync with all 4 people in comms is minor. Those complaining should be thanking those that go to pub side and actually get other pubs in que. Especially since all they want to do is farm bads anyways right? The people that complain about the pubs queing claim that they are bad players and they get farmed but they still feel the need to log over and throw on them. That makes sense too. How about we just get rid of the pub side all together since the casual ranked players and I do mean casual, don't want to see pubs in que anyways. Rename the game to imperial faction or something... I hope this answered your question. good luck, have fun...notoxic

are you guys blind? He asked about solo ranked not regs.

No s/he didn't. It says just "solo queue as pub on Harbinger", and there is nothing in the original message body that mentions ranked either. I solo queue on Harb, both pub and imp side all the time. I never play ranked. "solo" does not equal "ranked". It just means queuing without a group. Unless you've decided to change the definition of the word "solo"?

Maybe Lundorff *meant* ranked, but there is no mention of it.

No s/he didn't. It says just "solo queue as pub on Harbinger", and there is nothing in the original message body that mentions ranked either. I solo queue on Harb, both pub and imp side all the time. I never play ranked. "solo" does not equal "ranked". It just means queuing without a group. Unless you've decided to change the definition of the word "solo"?

Maybe Lundorff *meant* ranked, but there is no mention of it.

i'm sorry, most pvp'ers refer to solo que as ranked. maybe the OP should have been more specific. regs are regs

are you guys blind? He asked about solo ranked not regs. There's some issues with queing on pub side... A few people sit in que all day waiting for it to pop but they are really bad. 1 guy in particular will sit in que all day just to throw when it actually does pop. Here's an even bigger issue....when the imp side queue is soo full of really bad players, some of the imp's will go to the pub side and que over there. A few thing's happen next.... When other pubs see that ranked is popping, they actually que up. The other day there were 3 pub matches going on because of this effect. However, The imp's do not like it when pubs que solo ranked so there are a couple of imp guilds that will have people they know, THAT HARDLY EVEN QUE RANKED log onto the pub side with the sole purpose of throwing on the pubs in que. This seems soo counter productive to me and extremely childish. Especially when the people that are throwing or having other people throw do or have done the exact same thing! makes sense huh. They call in que syncing since there are soo few pubs in que. But within 1 or 2 matches, there will be 2 or more teams worth of pubs in que the chances of there actually being a que sync with all 4 people in comms is minor. Those complaining should be thanking those that go to pub side and actually get other pubs in que. Especially since all they want to do is farm bads anyways right? The people that complain about the pubs queing claim that they are bad players and they get farmed but they still feel the need to log over and throw on them. That makes sense too. How about we just get rid of the pub side all together since the casual ranked players and I do mean casual, don't want to see pubs in que anyways. Rename the game to imperial faction or something... I hope this answered your question. good luck, have fun...notoxic

/Preach

Making this a thread

:rak_03:

Pretty much since 5.0 launch PvP on Harb has been a joke. The gear differential was too fat too early and with the super long gear grind once players committed their mains to imp there was no turning back. For every 1 group of pubs pvping there was probably 10 imp teams going so imp PvPers were max geared much faster.

Just think about that for a second. This is disasterous. PvP are all practice games, factions are meaningless. So how to fix (asside from waiting for 6.0 to come out in the hopes CXP gearing will be removed):

- Why this would fix the problem? Because pubs that queue would have a MUCH MUCH MUCH better chance of being on the winning side. (closer to 50%, instead of the 1% or so for solo queues now).

- Anyone that objects to this for the reason that it doesn't make sense for pubs/imps to be fighting together is wrong because it makes even less sense for all wars to be only imps fighting imps while half the server should just leave the game because PvP isn't for them.

3.) Bolster to 250

I think the best way to encourage a more even faction split between PVPers would be have to a system similar to dark vs light. Rep and Imp wins in regs are calculated by the game, and each hour will have one side in a win condition state. When one side is ahead for that hour, the losing side gets a bonus towards daily completion (losses count as 2x and wins 3x). It will encourage players to play both factions instead of 75% of PVPers on a server playing a single faction.

Imp side seems to get heavier and heavier all the time on Harb with all the bads we need to carry. On average one or two players on my team will out dps me, and I main a tank who plays objectives. I can see a point in the near future where pubs actually get some motivation and traction and start winning their fair share, which will hopefully either wake up some of the bloated imp side leeches or even encourage them to switch to pub.

3.) Bolster to 250

there has always been at least 3x more imps since launch, not 5.0. in fact, 5.0 made gear irrelevant because everyone was bolstered to 250. When they finally lowered bolster to 236 is when the gear difference mattered.but even then, skill> gear. Theres plenty of players with no clue how to play their class. if you gave people a stackable buff for losses, people would exploit it and stack up losses in regs then que for ranked. it would have to be removed once you did que ranked.

Edited by VaceDemon

there has always been at least 3x more imps since launch, not 5.0.

And this is a LONG standing MMO trend; PvPers tend to migrate to the "evil" faction. Not saying hard and fast rule, just saying in my long experience with MMOs the more dedicated the player is to PvP the more likely they are to pick the "evil" faction.

Getting back on topic, as others have said it really does depend on timing. Just the other day, some guildies were chatting in mumble commenting on how faceroll imp side was; pub side was winning every WZ easily.

That said, there have been long stretches where all the comments are "OMG Pub side cannot win for s***"

I agree with those who have suggested that some sort of buff be put in place to encourage playing both factions.

I think some intermingling of factions in WZs would help. And for those who claim "lore" as a reason not to...huttball and arena are supposed to be "chosen by random draw" (as stated by Baron Deathmark)...not so random when the factions are split.

But an idea I thought of is a little different: an alacrity buff to capping objectives in objective based WZs and movement speed in Huttball. This encourages players to fight for objectives since that is the only benefit and it might encourage players to flip sides now and then, but would not force the issue because those not buffed can still interrupt they just have to be quicker about it.

However, The imp's do not like it when pubs que solo ranked so there are a couple of imp guilds that will have people they know, THAT HARDLY EVEN QUE RANKED log onto the pub side with the sole purpose of throwing on the pubs in que.

Interesting method. Make others unhappy so that there won't be any competition in the end - from Rep side, that is.

This ensures that Imps remain among Imps, and that exclusively.

Well done.

Besides, this could explain the impression of having "really bad" players on Rep side.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer