Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Can we go back to 3 pillars and make this game fun???

gnetikjakhammer

since when is a theme park equally compared to an MMO. Also, just putting the most popular disney character into a typical MMO statement doesn't give your point any validity....you just sound desperate because you're reaching for some kind of breakthrough analogy.

have another go there dude, it will dawn on you in a minute.... In a few short weeks we will see people talking about the game and all you guys will go back to WoW and enjoy the Pandas... And that's the way things ought to be.:D

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And when you re-roll an alt are you going to listen to the same exact 140 hours of non-class dialogue that you already listened to?
Not if you don't make the exact same decisions you did last time. You can change the dialog, get access to extra missions and rewards even. However those people still doing the exact thing over and over again of course would never notice these things.

You also aren't required to do every quest in a linear format to level to 50. I've skipped 2 planets already so on an alt I'll most likely go to those planets. Everyone says this game is linear. The only thing linear in this game is Class Storyline, everything else you can do in whatever order you choose. Whether it is the most effective way, that is a different story. But you aren't forced to go to one planet after another, in a chain of quests if you don't want too.

that's also creating a single player experience, and keeping the million people who play this game from talking to each other and socializing.

i swear to god the ONLY time i hear people talk in general is when they are looking for a heroic or flashpoint group.

Bottom line, the heavy story focus is ruining this game(as an mmo)

Yeah, because people talk soooo much when they're grinding their quest mobs...

They're Side Quests....since when has a side quest in any RPG ever been epic. You don't even have to do them in order to level and move through the game.

It was more in resposne to the folowing scenario: Between poster A and B

-A "PvP in this state is a mess

-B "This game is not for you its for storytelling, **** hater!1"

-A "Comat has serious resonsivenes issues"

-B "LOL go back to wow this game is about amazing and epic story telling"

-A " Ok but surely they could add a damagemeter so the bottomfeeders wee all know

from PuGs dont drag my raid down without anyone ever beeing able to pinpoint that

they are the problem?"

-B " damagemeters are pure evil, might be that i make 1/4 of you guys DPS and die

constantly, but i have other qualities damn you! And this game has fantastik storytelling

and voiceover!"

-A "The UI is very limited in its display of information"

-B" Yeah but the Voicerovers and storytell..."

-A " Ahh just forget it"

Meanig the argument that the game is super awsomesauce because of its VO and storys no matter what big gameplay flaws it has, gets really old by now.

Edited by Anelitt

Because it would totally disrupt the flow of the game to wander through the world and find NPC's that don't talk? I mean what the hell studyg ames much? When have you ever played a game with voice hacking that has a ton of NPC's that have no voice.

Most modern MMOs including WoW have some VA but silent quests? Also I think you are one of the very first people who have even said a non VA game ruins flow.

In fact listening to an npc ramble on for 3 minutes to do a side quest that itself takes 3 minutes kills the flow as well. It's even worse when the npc just send you to another npc after those few minutes of chatting.

If it is the main story sure it is nice and all, but when in the end I am just still killing boars it is just rather tedious.

The 4th pillar makes this game if you don't like it Leave.

Useless and off point.

When you make an alt on wow ...do read the same crap over and over again? So spare me the drama and hit the space bar.
I don't actually need to read anything in WoW. I just accept the quest, open my map and go to the spot to get the items. Why would I read the quests? I never really cared about the quests or storyline beyond the basics. That is one of the things I love about SWtOR is that I actually found myself getting sucked in. But then again I also love the cut scenes in Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, etc.

Useless and off point.

Not really. I believe that poster was spot on. Anybody who says that the story was a "waste" of resources is completely ignorant to what this game was intended to be. Apparently -- the "Hate story" crowd believes they have the 'super secret' ultimate recipe for the MMO that will rock the very foundation of the universe.

Not the 5 - 10 year experienced desiger/developers that hold bachelor degrees in this field -- and have seen the MMO industry since it's conception -- oh no.

This thread is so incredibly far-fetched that it makes me laugh just thinking about it. Who in their right mind would say they would like to see content removed from the game 'just' so it can become the very duplicate of other MMO's in the industry.

Not really. I believe that poster was spot on. Anybody who says that the story was a "waste" of resources is completely ignorant to what this game was intended to be. Apparently -- the "Hate story" crowd believes they have the 'super secret' ultimate recipe for the MMO that will rock the very foundation of the universe.

Not the 5 - 10 year experienced desiger/developers that hold bachelor degrees in this field -- and have seen the MMO industry since it's conception -- oh no.

This thread is so incredibly far-fetched that it makes me laugh just thinking about it. Who in their right mind would say they would like to see content removed from the game 'just' so it can become the very duplicate of other MMO's in the industry.

Agreed.

his point is that the sidequests are are bland and boring and dont need to have such extensive resources wasted just to hear them spoken outloud.

Dinosaur age gameplay compared to the mmo industry's life. Other genres have evolved and successfully implemented new ideas this far into their lifespan, so why can't mmos?

Do i need to report you again for disrupting my thread? I'm sure bioware is on my side after seeing some of the comments you wrote.

For me the voice is what gives them meaning..... The quest to collect X items and dip them in Y machine becomes meaningful and interesting because of the characters and their voices.....the cool old couple that needs X the regular Joe employee begging me to betray the couple so his family will be safe......it's the plot and voices that give it meaning.

his point is that the sidequests are are bland and boring and dont need to have such extensive resources wasted just to hear them spoken outloud.

Dinosaur age gameplay compared to the mmo industry's life. Other genres have evolved and successfully implemented new ideas this far into their lifespan, so why can't mmos?

Do i need to report you again for disrupting my thread? I'm sure bioware is on my side after seeing some of the comments you wrote.

Having the sidequests without VO would totally ruin the atmosphere, you can easily see that in Age of Conan (Level 1-20 is fully voiced, afterwards it's only the main quest and a tiny selection of other quests).

Quite frankly, I prefer what you call "dinosaur age gameplay" to the "innovations" you see in some games like DCUO (arcade-style combat).

I don't actually need to read anything in WoW. I just accept the quest, open my map and go to the spot to get the items. Why would I read the quests? I never really cared about the quests or storyline beyond the basics. That is one of the things I love about SWtOR is that I actually found myself getting sucked in. But then again I also love the cut scenes in Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, etc.

Well the class and instance chains were great until they killed them in cata :mad:

That's the thing for me, I don't see the side quests doing anything special story wise. Class quests ya but the side ones are pretty standard.

Sigh

VA for side quests not the story itself. Please learn to read.

Sigh

VA for side quests not the story itself. Please learn to read.

I'm reading, bro story.

Voice overs for side quest were not a waste of resources. No matter how many ways you want to spin it.

BioWare will be enjoying your subscription for the months to come.

Having the sidequests without VO would totally ruin the atmosphere, you can easily see that in Age of Conan (Level 1-20 is fully voiced, afterwards it's only the main quest and a tiny selection of other quests).

I am glad someone addressed the actual topic.

I do disagree with you but that is just a matter of a difference of opinion.

Hyperbole aside (this game is, to wit, not on the verge of dying, yet):

I agree with the general sentiment. Story and dialogue is not enough to prop up the shell of a game. It isn't enough for BioWare's single player games and it surely isn't enough for a MMO. There needs to be underlying, FUN systems that make the game entertaining to play on its own. It cannot rely on the character quests and voice-acting to keep it going, forever.

Edited by Voxtrot

It's always so confusing here. People would complain this is a WoW clone then turn around and complain why this game is not like WoW.

Pretty much.

It's been like this since 08. My synopsis: Nobody knows what they 'really' want in an MMO. It's just pointless jabber about 'theories' that would never work in reality. No game is supposed to hold you over until you die of old age.

I'm reading, bro story.

Voice overs for side quest were not a waste of resources. No matter how many ways you want to spin it.

It's nice to see you actually responding now to what you quoted before.

BioWare will be enjoying your subscription for the months to come.

Like I said to the other poster, useless and off point.

I will not be subbing next month, as wont many others. T

Now, normally I'm the kind of guy who says everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but please, for the love of god, let said people state their opinions on their own. Thats my gripe with you.

As for the 3 pillars..I dont see an issue. Maybe my server just isn't screwed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.