Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

I take it from the 3 of your replies that "Perjorative" is the word of the day?

I appreciate your vitriolic and condescending replies as it truly illustrates the insidious and selfish reasons to keep the server setup like tiny islands that are running out of living/active players.

How does pointing out your deliberate and often dishonest attacks against RP'ers equate to "insidious and selfish reasons to keep the server setup like tiny islands"?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter what anyone says.

They are going to ram this down our throats.

Most the population will face forced renames.

Plus there won't be any content except nerfs for months.

In the end it will all be perfect, enough people will quit that they will have just the right number left for ONE SERVER.

In the end it will all be perfect, enough people will quit that they will have just the right number left for ONE SERVER.

This more a possibility then I would like :(

This really is a sef serving attempt to make the devs comply with the wants of a very small group and they have attempted to wrap it in a shiney package of "This really is the best thing for the game". Lets see if this is case ?

We have a lot of Guilds who use there own friends to run content and hardly ever use GF because they have friends and have a large pool of players to draw from, then we have that independant not imterested in guild life group who seem to have difficult time getting GF pops and have no active friends on thier list. So of course the answer is to tell all of the active happy guild people that they are ruinning the game and they should pick up all there established GS/SH and long time players with well Known names and move to a mega server or merge so these poor little lonely and guildless players can try to get faster queue's. The best part is that all of the real contributing players will be the ones who have to be put out so a few no friend players can get what they want even knowing this will hurt all of the Guild players who do have friends and are happy with the game they play.

To me this seems contary to the wellness of the game and infact could do considerable harm to the true player base.

Edited by CaptainBlackjack

I would hope that those who don't blindly with agree with a "suggestion" would be free to voice their opinions, including why they think it might not be a good 'suggestion".

I am concerned that some will attack anyone who voices an opinion other than blind support for all "suggestions". It has happened already in this thread.

Why is there a need to give an opion in the first place. You don't have to agree or disagree. It's just a suggestions thread. If people understood that going in, then there would be no attacks and no need for contentious arguments.

Are you talking about YOUR friends list or the person you're "friending"?

I think MY friends list should work on all of my toons, not just one. Are you saying that if I add Ratajack to my friends list, it should only be for the character Ratajack, not for your alts like Ratajohn or whatever, just your one toon? If so, then I absolutely agree...but my individual friends list, the one I create, I believe should apply to my entire Legacy.

Agreed, if I friend someone I would like that to apply to my whole legacy.

Why is there a need to give an opion in the first place. You don't have to agree or disagree. It's just a suggestions thread. If people understood that going in, then there would be no attacks and no need for contentious arguments.

If it is a "suggestion" thread, shouldn't people be able to "suggest" that some things not be implemented?

Not every "suggestion" is a "good one".

Just put him on your ignore list. He's just trolling you now. He's trying to make you look like the bad guy because you are refuting everything he says. The discussion in this thread is about done anyway. We have identified the issues that need to be fixed before any server merge could occur anyway. Now it is up to Bioware to look at them and see what they can do. Next up from Bioware is likely some way to make character and guild transfers easier and lock out the old PVP servers for character creation by new players. People will continue to call for server mergers but Bioware is now aware of the concerns that people have about mergers and clearly considers many of them important.

I 100% endorse this post 😊

Not they my endorsement means anything. It's just a fancy way of saying I agree 😉

If it is a "suggestion" thread, shouldn't people be able to "suggest" that some things not be implemented?

Not every "suggestion" is a "good one".

And this is why we aren't allowed to have new things.. someone always wants to break them

Why do you even need to bring up an argument like that, why are you always Mr negative, can't you just not say anything if you don't agree.

Anyway, I see there is no point in starting one because "certain people" would just use it as a platform to argue instead of post ideas.

Honestly, I don't know why I bother trying to promote/encourage a positive and friendly community attitude. Any good will attempted by anyone is always torn down. People say Harbinger is a toxic server, and it can be, but sometimes this forum is much worse.

Edited by Icykill_

What you've pointed out is entirely in the realm of possibilities and the longer things deteriorate, the more likely hood of this scenario coming true. 😢

Edited by Icykill_

Why do you even need to bring up an argument like that, why are you always Mr negative, can't you just not say anything if you don't agree.

Good advice. OK, here goes.

I don't think Server Merges should happen because of the reasons I've already stated and no-one is allowed to say anything if they disagree with this point of view, so I must win the argument.

If I knew it was going to be that easy, I'd have said that long ago.

People on t3 m4 are tired of fighting the same people on warzones... every fight - same faces. Same with ops. Same on french servers. Yes we need either cross-server queues or server merge.

People on t3 m4 are tired of fighting the same people on warzones... every fight - same faces. Same with ops. Same on french servers. Yes we need either cross-server queues or server merge.

Nobody is stopping you from playing on a different server. You have the option of moving. If the servers are merged, we won't have the option of moving back.

While you might get tired of the same ones on pvp it is vastly different regarding OPS. Some people actually prefer have the same group for OPS as they will know what the person can do and what they are capable and for OPS that is something most groups prefer. Most groups do not prefer having different people for OPS as they have no idea of what they are going to do or what they are capable of. Having the same group for operations and flashpoints is usually something a lot of people prefer.

Edited by casirabit

This thread is just the same few people replying to every post.

Nearly 50 pages of the same few vultures repeating themselves.

How is that constructive or productive?

Edited by Baith-Na

It's the core of the dispute...Self interest vs. the betterment of the group experience...

Because everyone knows that nothing will happen soon as stated by the interview by Bad Feeling and whatever will happen BW will make the sole decision. Thus the rest are here to troll or to win forum PvP.

Edited by FerkWork

It's the core of the dispute...Self-interest vs. the betterment of the group experience...

I wouldn't phrase it quite like that...those who want group stuff to pop faster...that's 'self-interest' too. They want what they want at the expense of what others have, so that's being selfish and self-interested too. It's not like the groupers are altruistic, far from it. They expect other people to sacrifice for them.

There's no need for passive-aggressive attacks. Each side is going to regard the other as selfish, because of what they want. Ultimately it's up to Bioware to solve an issue they didn't seem to have the foresight or ability to address when they were implementing guild properties/bank slots/colour & outfit slots, names, and guild ships and decor.

There's really no point in feeding the engine here to go round and round and cause more bad feelings between parties; apparently all that needs to be taken away from this was said on that podcast or whatever it was.

Edited by Lunafox

It doesn't really matter, because its very clear right now Bioware is at a stage where they don't have the capacity to do such a merge. And it is also very clear bioware will not force server merges until they can.

Yes, they did it before, but that was before Strongholds and Outfit slots. The only issue at the time was names and legacy's, and the legacy thing was such a problem that they fixed it. Plus, right now, RPers are the bulk of who still plays this game- for all their decos to be reset, and their outfits scuttled? People would unsub so fast.

If you're complaining about queue times and the sort, go to a different server. Then, the responsibility is on you. Bioware has made it very clear they do not want to be responsible for server transfers because they know the capacity for everything to be seamless is not there yet. In a year, maybe this will be a different discussion.

Also, you have the fact that there are tons of characters holding names on servers that have never even cleared Tython/Mantell/Korriban/Hutta. that's also gonna be a problem, even with a name purge. However, it seems as they will make new servers, in order for no one to still "hold" names for inactive toons which I commend them on deciding. Managing servers isn't easy, but I'm glad they put the interests of the customer over convenience.

The above is a perfect definition of the word "Pejorative".... as negative as negative can get....

Welcome to SWTOR, where we welcome newcomers by saying "We hope you enjoy your stay or die".

You can't have forums without conflict and even if you could, why would you?

If everyone agreed, we wouldn't need forums. Some things people will say or feel other people will either agree with or disagree with and often when they disagree they will say why.

Whether its a "few vultures" or many "vultures" you will still have the same type of conflicts.

If you are looking for a place without conflicts, may I direct you to Fairyland. Last door at the end of the hall with a picture of a puppy licking an ice creme cone on it.

Conflict is the essence of the human experience. There isn't so much Crime, killing, evil and War in the world because everyone hates it, it's because so few don't.

I wouldn't phrase it quite like that...those who want group stuff to pop faster...that's 'self-interest' too. They want what they want at the expense of what others have, so that's being selfish and self-interested too. It's not like the groupers are altruistic, far from it. They expect other people to sacrifice for them.

There's no need for passive-aggressive attacks. Each side is going to regard the other as selfish, because of what they want. Ultimately it's up to Bioware to solve an issue they didn't seem to have the foresight or ability to address when they were implementing guild properties/bank slots/colour & outfit slots, names, and guild ships and decor.

There's really no point in feeding the engine here to go round and round and cause more bad feelings between parties; apparently all that needs to be taken away from this was said on that podcast or whatever it was.

I could care less personally if they merge servers or not... I paid attention and moved all my characters to Harbinger when free transfers were available...

Ultimately I don't think Bioware is in a position to merge servers.

Bioware is clearly trying to regain goodwill with the community and they likely won't approach something like a server merger unless they have a really great way to do it without creating player "loss".

I could care less personally if they merge servers or not... I paid attention and moved all my characters to Harbinger when free transfers were available...

Ultimately I don't think Bioware is in a position to merge servers.

Bioware is clearly trying to regain goodwill with the community and they likely won't approach something like a server merger unless they have a really great way to do it without creating player "loss".

I like where I am, and it's plenty busy enough for me to happily play the GTN, that's about the limit of my social interactions. I see people around, and I'm able to get my daily things done without too many people to get in my way most of the time.

I agree that they're not in a position to do a merge, and I appreciate that they're saying they won't force anything, and hopefully that they won't make people like me lose everything they've gained and achieved these last few years. I can't blame them for wanting to retain goodwill, if they don't, the game folds, which would suck for those of us who enjoy it.

I'm hoping they can sort out a way in which everyone can be accomodated, both people like myself who want to retain our belongings and names etc and those people who need quick pops. I'm fine with them getting what they want, so long as I'm not stripped of all my stuff, that happens to mean a lot to me and is my reason for playing here. I only wish that the other side was as understanding...it sometimes doesn't feel like it matters to them.