Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

It absolutely should work that way. I'm ignoring a player, not a toon.

I agree that ignore should ignore the entire legacy, if not the entire account.

Friends lists, however, should remain per character, not legacy or account, IMO.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friends lists, however, should remain per character, not legacy or account, IMO.
Are you talking about YOUR friends list or the person you're "friending"?

I think MY friends list should work on all of my toons, not just one. Are you saying that if I add Ratajack to my friends list, it should only be for the character Ratajack, not for your alts like Ratajohn or whatever, just your one toon? If so, then I absolutely agree...but my individual friends list, the one I create, I believe should apply to my entire Legacy.

I know i'm late to the discussion but i'd like to put forth my two cents. I have been playing this game for 4 plus years now and i find the largest hurdle this game faces is ACCESS TO CONTENT, pure and simple. You have group finder operations in this game but the feature doesn't actually ever work. I am on Ebon Hawk, which is a so called populated server and if i entered group finder for the daily operation or a master fp i would sit in there for hours without any pops. Groupfinder is formed through chat channels in game, which is not the intended design. Look at other competing products like warcraft and their LFR where there is a maximum 20min wait time. The problem isn't player base or skill it is purely numbers. Mega servers should be the number one agenda for this game to flourish.

One thing i have noticed people complain about is how much they have invested into their toons, legacy and names. Yes i understand, we all have something we will lose. the give and take will be well worth it in the end. I would suggest game devs add a flair addon or symbols to the character outfit designer to allow players further customization to compensate for any conflicts with naming. That should be an easy fix to appease a large percentage of the population.

I know i'm late to the discussion but i'd like to put forth my two cents. I have been playing this game for 4 plus years now and i find the largest hurdle this game faces is ACCESS TO CONTENT, pure and simple. You have group finder operations in this game but the feature doesn't actually ever work. I am on Ebon Hawk, which is a so called populated server and if i entered group finder for the daily operation or a master fp i would sit in there for hours without any pops. Groupfinder is formed through chat channels in game, which is not the intended design. Look at other competing products like warcraft and their LFR where there is a maximum 20min wait time. The problem isn't player base or skill it is purely numbers. Mega servers should be the number one agenda for this game to flourish.

Your issue with respect to Ebon Hawk is more about your play style vs the communities, not population. Populations are good and very active on Ebon Hawk.

It's an RP server and as such more players will integrate and rely on friendships in game and/or guild membership for their grouping needs. They simply do not do as much random PuG via group finder as you want, and when they do PuG they are less likely to use GF to do so. So it's not a population problem.

Based on how you want to play.. you really should transfer to a server with like minded players and in NA that would be Harbinger.

Edited by Andryah

I know i'm late to the discussion but i'd like to put forth my two cents. I have been playing this game for 4 plus years now and i find the largest hurdle this game faces is ACCESS TO CONTENT, pure and simple. You have group finder operations in this game but the feature doesn't actually ever work. I am on Ebon Hawk, which is a so called populated server and if i entered group finder for the daily operation or a master fp i would sit in there for hours without any pops.

Made that mistake myself over a year ago. Moved some toons to TEH only to find they don't really do PVE group content (FP's, Heroics, Operations). It was a little better for PVP but the overall skill set of the players compared to JC/SL made it frustrating in maps like Gree Hypergate or Huttball.

I vividly remember finally doing Scum & Villainy on TEH where the Op Lead master looted and only gave out the loot to people went to his stronghold and toured it from room to room. Nothing like doing the longest operation in the game with multiple wipes (in SM) and then having to go into some creepy players lair to tell him how amazing his stronghold looks (and it didn't) in order to get the loot.

Are you talking about YOUR friends list or the person you're "friending"?

I think MY friends list should work on all of my toons, not just one. Are you saying that if I add Ratajack to my friends list, it should only be for the character Ratajack, not for your alts like Ratajohn or whatever, just your one toon? If so, then I absolutely agree...but my individual friends list, the one I create, I believe should apply to my entire Legacy.

We are on the same page.

Made that mistake myself over a year ago. Moved some toons to TEH only to find they don't really do PVE group content (FP's, Heroics, Operations). It was a little better for PVP but the overall skill set of the players compared to JC/SL made it frustrating in maps like Gree Hypergate or Huttball.

I vividly remember finally doing Scum & Villainy on TEH where the Op Lead master looted and only gave out the loot to people went to his stronghold and toured it from room to room. Nothing like doing the longest operation in the game with multiple wipes (in SM) and then having to go into some creepy players lair to tell him how amazing his stronghold looks (and it didn't) in order to get the loot.

Ohh man I would have hit the roof I had a good laugh when I read about the SH business but I totally agree about TEH as a server.

I've been playing a lot of FFXIV and ESO lately. Still leveling some alts in this game, but I gotta tell ya, those games feel so alive and vibrant compared to SWTOR. I don't know what the populations of each game are, but I know that ESO has one giant megaserver. I've even been messing around a bit in BDO (Black Desert Online for those that don't know) and most of their servers are "overrun" with players.

My point is, BW needs to get the new server up and running as soon as possible if that's what they are going to do. These empty servers are absolutely hurting the game.

I cannot overstate how odd it is that this wasn't a top priority for the company.

Your issue with respect to Ebon Hawk is more about your play style vs the communities, not population. Populations are good and very active on Ebon Hawk.

It's an RP server and as such more players will integrate and rely on friendships in game and/or guild membership for their grouping needs. They simply do not do as much random PuG via group finder as you want, and when they do PuG they are less likely to use GF to do so. So it's not a population problem.

Based on how you want to play.. you really should transfer to a server with like minded players and in NA that would be Harbinger.

Very true. I have never had problems on Ebon Hawk either. I think most of Ebon Hawk is based on guilds and friends. There are a few pugs especially for heroics. Just the other day I grouped up with a couple of people on Taris just to speed through the heroics there, due to a few of the problems with some of those heroics.

Oh we don't do we? Interesting considering the guild I am does group content all the time, including flashpoints, heroics and operations. So my point of view is different than yours.

Maybe you should tried making some friends or finding a guild and then you won't have the problem you claim to have. Guilds and friends are what most people run the content with so instead of saying that we don't do the content maybe you should state they don't do it the way you want them to.

Edited by casirabit

I've been playing a lot of FFXIV and ESO lately. Still leveling some alts in this game, but I gotta tell ya, those games feel so alive and vibrant compared to SWTOR. I don't know what the populations of each game are, but I know that ESO has one giant megaserver. I've even been messing around a bit in BDO (Black Desert Online for those that don't know) and most of their servers are "overrun" with players.

My point is, BW needs to get the new server up and running as soon as possible if that's what they are going to do. These empty servers are absolutely hurting the game.

I cannot overstate how odd it is that this wasn't a top priority for the company.

It is indeed entirely baffling and yes I hear you. A lively MMO seems like a basic part of game design taking precedence over just about everything else. There is another thread that was just created on Uprisings. While relatively new very few people even do them and it's mainly because they can't find groups.

Maybe you should tried making some friends or finding a guild and then you won't have the problem you claim to have. Guilds and friends are what most people run the content with so instead of saying that we don't do the content maybe you should state they don't do it the way you want them to.

I'm in a dozen or more guilds across five servers. Been in progression groups. Have achieved the title of 'galactic conqueror' for conquest and have recruited hundreds of people into guilds over the years.

But since you feel you can personally signal me out...........

What is your server (assume it's TEH) and guild? I'll give you guys a shout out and join. I look forward to being magically whisked away to a plethora of fun filled activities.

I'm in a dozen or more guilds across five servers. Been in progression groups. Have achieved the title of 'galactic conqueror' for conquest and have recruited hundreds of people into guilds over the years.

What is your server (assume it's TEH) and guild? I'll give you guys a shout out and join. I look forward to being magically whisked away to a plethora of fun filled activities.

It is on Ebon Hawk and we have a rule that we don't recruit people that are rude and have an attitude about roleplayers, like you have exhibited in this discussion.

Edited by casirabit

Your generally pejorative attitude to RP servers makes you a poor candidate for most guilds on Ebon Hawk in my view. I really do not understand why you would have ever moved characters to Ebon Hawk when you clearly rely on random PuGing and have shown absolutely no signs of respect for RPers and RP servers. Based on your posts, I believe you need to call Harbinger your home.

Edited by Andryah

Oh look, you're making up pejorative nonsense about RPers and their servers again! I've done hundreds of pug operations on EH and no one I've run with has EVER made someone go to their stronghold to check it out to get loot. In fact, master looting in pugs is generally frowned upon by the EH raiding community to begin with. So I find your story exceptionally difficult to believe on the face of it. Paired with your previous nastygrams directed at the RP community in this game, I judge it to be entirely made up.

I wish you'd stop telling lies and slandering people with a different playstyle on a different server just because it's not your playstyle.

Edited by AscendingSky

Oh look, you're making up pejorative nonsense about RPers and their servers again! I've done hundreds of pug operations on EH and no one I've run with has EVER made someone go to their stronghold to check it out to get loot. In fact, master looting in pugs is generally frowned upon by the EH raiding community to begin with. So I find your story exceptionally difficult to believe on the face of it. Paired with your previous nastygrams directed at the RP community in this game, I judge it to be entirely made up.

I wish you'd stop telling lies and slandering people with a different playstyle on a different server just because it's not your playstyle.

Just put him on your ignore list. He's just trolling you now. He's trying to make you look like the bad guy because you are refuting everything he says. The discussion in this thread is about done anyway. We have identified the issues that need to be fixed before any server merge could occur anyway. Now it is up to Bioware to look at them and see what they can do. Next up from Bioware is likely some way to make character and guild transfers easier and lock out the old PVP servers for character creation by new players. People will continue to call for server mergers but Bioware is now aware of the concerns that people have about mergers and clearly considers many of them important.

True moderator can archive thread it's up the Bioware to give us access to that new server as promised in patch 5.3 5.4, or 5.5.

Also many sm/hm/Nim Ops I set up or attend the master looter in pug ops works perfectly and everyone gets their gear on rolls. We all know that's the fair way.

Edited by IntegrationArch

Just put him on your ignore list. He's just trolling you now. He's trying to make you look like the bad guy because you are refuting everything he says.

I'm trolling? I have a different opinion so same three people that shut anyone down with a different opinion then they do. Sorry but I won't back down. I think SWTOR deserves to have a similar gaming experience other major MMO's have.

True moderator can archive thread it's up the Bioware to give us access to that new server as promised in patch 5.3 5.4, or 5.5.

Also many sm/hm/Nim Ops I set up or attend the master looter in pug ops works perfectly and everyone gets their gear on rolls. We all know that's the fair way.

Maybe it's just me, but I do nto recall BW ever PROMISING a new server, let alone one in patch 5.3, 5.4 or 5.5.

Could you please provide a link to this BW PROMISE to provide a new server?

How would you improve the LFG system? What would you want to see in it? Those are certainly things worth looking at since they tie in to server mergers. With XP gain as fast as it is now Level Sync has to stay (people will scream bloody murder if you reduce XP gain). Some modifications (such as instancing end story bosses) should be considered, but overall it is beneficial to the game.

Make it like the GW2 LFG system, which you can type in message to ask for any kind of group.

I mean they should give us the option to turn it off, not to remove level sync.

Make it like the GW2 LFG system, which you can type in message to ask for any kind of group.

I mean they should give us the option to turn it off, not to remove level sync.

Something like an OPs channel, or FP channel? I think those might exist already but I'm not positive since all the group content I do is organized rather than random grouping.

I could see a problem with some people being level synced and others not (although why would you be level synced if you didn't have to be) in that it would create an imbalance in something like heroics where your level would determine how fast you could clear it and how much reward per unit time you would get. I think if you did give the ability to turn off level sync you would have to go back to the rewards being planet based instead of your level based like they are now. Also with everything giving CXP now, I could see problems with level 70 characters clearing vast swaths of Dromund Kaas or Coruscant just for the CXP because they could one shot everything. Here you could default back to the old no xp (or in this case CXP) for anything 6 levels or more lower than your level. Being able to turn level sych on and off could create quite a bit of complexity in the game code.

Something like an OPs channel, or FP channel? I think those might exist already but I'm not positive since all the group content I do is organized rather than random grouping.

I could see a problem with some people being level synced and others not (although why would you be level synced if you didn't have to be) in that it would create an imbalance in something like heroics where your level would determine how fast you could clear it and how much reward per unit time you would get. I think if you did give the ability to turn off level sync you would have to go back to the rewards being planet based instead of your level based like they are now. Also with everything giving CXP now, I could see problems with level 70 characters clearing vast swaths of Dromund Kaas or Coruscant just for the CXP because they could one shot everything. Here you could default back to the old no xp (or in this case CXP) for anything 6 levels or more lower than your level. Being able to turn level sych on and off could create quite a bit of complexity in the game code.

You don't have to try it if you don't like random groups.

It's easy to create 2 instances and provide different loot/xp. I want to do NIP easily with a few ppl rather than get exactly 16 which is nearly impossible even on Harbinger.

You don't have to try it if you don't like random groups.

It's easy to create 2 instances and provide different loot/xp. I want to do NIP easily with a few ppl rather than get exactly 16 which is nearly impossible even on Harbinger.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with random groups but rather expressing my lack of knowledge on whether something like what you were proposing might exist already. Creating hard coded channels in chat could give you what you are looking for and it would clear Gen chat of the LFG posts. Perhaps a guild recruitment channel too for those looking for guilds.

Perhaps instancing world bosses and syncing to a different level than the planet in general (or not at all in the case of some of the harder bosses so that a group of 4 could do it). Dynamic syncing might also work (where the boss difficulty is based on your group size and level to keep it challenging). A bit of a programming challenge but probably not insurmountable. Its something that could maybe be done one world boss at a time to try it out.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with random groups but rather expressing my lack of knowledge on whether something like what you were proposing might exist already. Creating hard coded channels in chat could give you what you are looking for and it would clear Gen chat of the LFG posts. Perhaps a guild recruitment channel too for those looking for guilds.

Perhaps instancing world bosses and syncing to a different level than the planet in general (or not at all in the case of some of the harder bosses so that a group of 4 could do it). Dynamic syncing might also work (where the boss difficulty is based on your group size and level to keep it challenging). A bit of a programming challenge but probably not insurmountable. Its something that could maybe be done one world boss at a time to try it out.

Not everyone could hear it and it will get quickly flushed by the trash talking. A LFG system would be better,

Overall I just want more freedom on content and easier to find groups. You know it has been a while that ppl no longer want to spend a lot of time to form groups, they want quick check-in content, which is why MOB like LoL and Dota is beating even WOW.

This isn't about a difference of opinion. This is about you repeatedly slandering, lying, and fabricating tall tales about an entire community of people in the game with a different playstyle than you. Anyone who reads your posts can see for themselves your nastygrams directed at RPers because you don't like their playstyle. You're constantly making up claims about what people in this thread have said (which they actually haven't said because you're lying) and calling RPers selfish and toxic for not wanting to receive increased harassment in the game.

It's like a marxist-like groupthink collective that claims to know what's best for society (game) and therefore feel it's justified to make all citizens (players) comply/conform, even if this would require force (forced move).

You, the individual, pay for your subscription to enjoy the game in a manner you prefer. They hate that and will tell you that these kind of individual freedoms will lead to the end of the world.

Again: Keith said that players won't be forced to move, so I guess we're safe :)