Theron and Lana - What are they loyal to?

RazielimMarek

Theron and Lana were introduced as being foils and somewhat oddballs for their faction: Lana was a Sith who had the demeanor of a Jedi while Theron was a republic agent who most often advocated pragmatically inclined dark side options. Despite this they were utterly loyal to their chosen factions, often brushing off offers to defect from romances from the opposite faction.

Come Eternal Throne/War for Iokath, however, their loyalties are somewhat murky. Leaving aside theories on either being the traitor, I have to wonder if push comes to shove they'll forgo their previous loyalties to go all in on the Eternal Alliance. The end of ET had Lana worrying that the Empire and Republic were making moves and Theron comforts her by suggesting they can 'beat them both', which is kind of weird since it seems like they don't care overtly much about their previous factions and treat them as arms reach friends at best right now.

So yeah, what's the deal? Is Lana now completely cool with you declaring the Empire an enemy/Theron doesn't care if the Republic ends up hating the Alliance?

Given how Theron treated his father and the republic proposal of an alliance I'd say it is safe to say he's fine with the alliance as long the commander doesn't become the next Arcann. And even then he wouldn't leave, most likely he would end up complaining about it but staying nevertheless.

And Lana... she's a pragmatic Sith, IDK if she would be cool with us wiping the out the empire, but she certainly doesn't mind us spying on Acina.

Given how Theron treated his father and the republic proposal of an alliance I'd say it is safe to say he's fine with the alliance as long the commander doesn't become the next Arcann. And even then he wouldn't leave, most likely he would end up complaining about it but staying nevertheless.

And Lana... she's a pragmatic Sith, IDK if she would be cool with us wiping the out the empire, but she certainly doesn't mind us spying on Acina.

I agree. Story wise, the devs seem to have established them as neutral parties when it comes to the alliance. They may not always agree, but its not likely they'll turn on you. Plus there would be too much backlash from fans if they were to be phased out like all the other companions have been. Other than the odd NPC for that chapter we're running, who else would we talk to after all?:D

Edited by Venn_Dras

Always got the feeling that Lana could be made to switch sides with the right motivation. This doesn't mean she'd be a Jedi or the nicest person in the Republic. Jedi as a whole, would likely hate her, as she'd be a Sith working with the Republic and there's many ways to channel the dark side urges beyond the Sith favorite of just killing those weaker than you or those who get in your way.

Like Lana's very pragmatic, kill the enemy after you've disarmed them. Might not be the Jedi way, but it's less "Kill the innocent" and more "Kill this person who tried to kill me, so they can't try again." Which, as we see, the one who got away does come back after you to try and kill/stop you.

Something that never seems to get brought up often, likely because the Sith as a whole do prefer their squabbling ways.

Theron is an SIS Agent. He's going to do things much like the Trooper, that are considered dark side choices. However, seeing as he's not force sensitive, it really means very little. :p

I really can't see him betraying the republic to the degree Lana could the Empire.

However, I can see BW being afraid of backlash from the playerbase over such a choice as to say "Well, this NPC wouldn't do it for their side, but this one who's the other side's equivalent would."

We've already heard the whining when they do seem to stick to characters sticking to how they should. Of course, we hear whining about characters who don't (I totally whine about that :p Seriously, some of those Alert Companions from other classes should have left some of my characters by now :p).

Always got the feeling that Lana could be made to switch sides with the right motivation. This doesn't mean she'd be a Jedi or the nicest person in the Republic. Jedi as a whole, would likely hate her, as she'd be a Sith working with the Republic and there's many ways to channel the dark side urges beyond the Sith favorite of just killing those weaker than you or those who get in your way.

Like Lana's very pragmatic, kill the enemy after you've disarmed them. Might not be the Jedi way, but it's less "Kill the innocent" and more "Kill this person who tried to kill me, so they can't try again." Which, as we see, the one who got away does come back after you to try and kill/stop you.

Something that never seems to get brought up often, likely because the Sith as a whole do prefer their squabbling ways.

Theron is an SIS Agent. He's going to do things much like the Trooper, that are considered dark side choices. However, seeing as he's not force sensitive, it really means very little. :p

I really can't see him betraying the republic to the degree Lana could the Empire.

However, I can see BW being afraid of backlash from the playerbase over such a choice as to say "Well, this NPC wouldn't do it for their side, but this one who's the other side's equivalent would."

We've already heard the whining when they do seem to stick to characters sticking to how they should. Of course, we hear whining about characters who don't (I totally whine about that :p Seriously, some of those Alert Companions from other classes should have left some of my characters by now :p).

Yep. It's a catch twenty two for the writers. The discussion about who the betrayer is in this expansion has come down to either Theron or Lana for most players. Personally I still say the Scions are involved. This expansion is all about them.

Theron and Lana were introduced as being foils and somewhat oddballs for their faction: Lana was a Sith who had the demeanor of a Jedi while Theron was a republic agent who most often advocated pragmatically inclined dark side options. Despite this they were utterly loyal to their chosen factions, often brushing off offers to defect from romances from the opposite faction.

Come Eternal Throne/War for Iokath, however, their loyalties are somewhat murky. Leaving aside theories on either being the traitor, I have to wonder if push comes to shove they'll forgo their previous loyalties to go all in on the Eternal Alliance. The end of ET had Lana worrying that the Empire and Republic were making moves and Theron comforts her by suggesting they can 'beat them both', which is kind of weird since it seems like they don't care overtly much about their previous factions and treat them as arms reach friends at best right now.

So yeah, what's the deal? Is Lana now completely cool with you declaring the Empire an enemy/Theron doesn't care if the Republic ends up hating the Alliance?

Corrections:

* Lana is/was a Sith who had the demeanour of a coldly pragmatic Sith, not a Jedi. She channels her anger, she insists that the Force *serves* her, she kills people who present a risk *simply because they present a risk*, and so on. During Imp-side Prelude to Revan (the Rakata Prime flashpoint) she says, "Make no mistake. I serve the Empire."

* Theron, despite being a spy and so on, still, prior to KotFE, fights on the side of the angels, approximately. It isn't always using angelic methods, but consider the ending of Ziost, when you are faced with the choices for Master Surro, and before, for the two Jedi immediately before the end.

But overall, I'd say that, with the opening of KotFE, they have both thrown their lot in with the Outlander, and effectively rejected their previous allegiances.

As my main is a BH, I don't trust Lana fully at any rate, despite the fact that I'm going to have my BH side with Empire. Even though she's 5 lightside (she has made SOME Darkside choices during the course of her career - she's no Jedi - but enough lightside ones to counter that).

Reason for mistrust of Lana : the whole thing that happened in the Mando chapter of KOTFE, and Lana's suggestion during same (which of course, I did not take her suggestion). My BH would liked to have had the option not to side with either one :(

And she doesn't exactly trust Theron Shan either. During the class storyline the whole thing that happened to Mako is "evidence" of just what someone affiliated with <or formerly affiliated with> SIS is capable of.

As my main is a BH, I don't trust Lana fully at any rate, despite the fact that I'm going to have my BH side with Empire. Even though she's 5 lightside (she has made SOME Darkside choices during the course of her career - she's no Jedi - but enough lightside ones to counter that).

Reason for mistrust of Lana : the whole thing that happened in the Mando chapter of KOTFE, and Lana's suggestion during same (which of course, I did not take her suggestion). My BH would liked to have had the option not to side with either one :(

And she doesn't exactly trust Theron Shan either. During the class storyline the whole thing that happened to Mako is "evidence" of just what someone affiliated with <or formerly affiliated with> SIS is capable of.

Same here with my BH. Even though any BH is basically retired after KOTET whether you chose light or dark; it makes more sense the the Empire would be more flexible when it comes to decisions that affect the whole galaxy. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made, right?

You also make good points about Theron and Lana. I forgot about the SIS involvement with Mako's side story.

They both were betrayed in some sense by their own faction in the past.

Lana was framed for Arkous' murder and Theron had Suresh keeping him in the dark and not trusting his judgment. Not to mention the hostage attempt on DK. The Outlander is one leader who never tried to kill/imprison them. :p

They both were betrayed in some sense by their own faction in the past.

Lana was framed for Arkous' murder and Theron had Suresh keeping him in the dark and not trusting his judgment. Not to mention the hostage attempt on DK. The Outlander is one leader who never tried to kill/imprison them. :p

Lana was redeemed and made head of the new Sith Intelligence after that moment, that she was framed for.

Theron was considered a great agent, but he never seemed to have a high position within the SIS. Theron was just another SIS agent in the grand scheme of things in the eyes of the Republic. One with a prestigious family line.

Shadow of Revan seemed to be about how well Theron, Lana, and the Player worked together when they weren't constrained by the traditional methods and leadership structures of their factions-- and their reward for succeeding was to be split up and placed in really high leadership positions within the structures that were holding them back.

Ziost showed Theron/Lana struggling to work within those constraints. Lana spends Ziost so overworked that she can't figure out that her second-in-command is a republic spy, and Theron gets everyone under his command possessed by Vitiate and killed.

I think post-Ziost, and especially into KotFE/KotET/Iokath, Theron, Lana and the Outlander realise they can do more for the galaxy outside of the Republic/Empire than within them.

They're loyal to Bioware's writers, and that's it. They're the narrative guides Bioware's using to shove players down one avenue or another.

You could make the case they're loyal only to the Outlander now, but I don't see that as realistically possible unless they're the chosen romance option. Then it might be believable that they rejected all their former associations and ideals in favor of a romance.

There's too many inconsistencies within their own behaviors to warrant a cohesive rationale for their loyalty.

Theron: caves in far too easily when the Outlander decides in favor of the Empire on Iokath. Sure, he may have some unresolved daddy issues, but there's no way he's turning on Satele so easily. Also, he seems not much bothered by all the tyrannical behavior of a full DS Outlander, despite how similar it is to all the tyranny he's trying to stop.

Lana: Is the most obvious narrative contrivance in the game. Blonde bombshell, powerful force using woman. She's Sith, so no worries about Romantic entanglements being a problem, but has the calm disposition of a Jedi, so no worries about the crazy fits of rage normally associated with Sith. She reminds me of a certain Asari in Mass Effect or even the race of Asari in general: powerful force wielding women, all good looking, live forever, can mate with anyone or anything. Okay, Bioware, we get it, but can't they have at least one flaw? I mean, Theron at least has family issues, some personal soul searching related to his lack of force potential, and guilt over what he's asked to do as a spy, but Lana has......nothing.

That calm disposition isn't unique (among the Sith) to Lana, of course.

Notable examples would include Darth Gravus (although in his case, it comes off more as terminal fatigue or something). Perhaps we could include Darth Marr as well. I mean yes, he's grumpy about things, but I'm left with the impression of that being as much part of the image he wants to project as it is about his true nature. (Think about what he tells the player in KotFE Chapter XII, when you challenge him about being still in armour.) Even Acina is like that.

(Darth Lachris is debatable, however. She seems to take a certain malicious joy out of personally slaughtering the previous governor of Balmorra, but she definitely has herself under fairly tight control.)

When all is said and done, however, I'd have to say that there is very little doubt that Lana is the story-writing team's favourite character, by a very, very wide margin.

Lana: Is the most obvious narrative contrivance in the game. Blonde bombshell, powerful force using woman. She's Sith, so no worries about Romantic entanglements being a problem, but has the calm disposition of a Jedi, so no worries about the crazy fits of rage normally associated with Sith. She reminds me of a certain Asari in Mass Effect or even the race of Asari in general: powerful force wielding women, all good looking, live forever, can mate with anyone or anything. Okay, Bioware, we get it, but can't they have at least one flaw? I mean, Theron at least has family issues, some personal soul searching related to his lack of force potential, and guilt over what he's asked to do as a spy, but Lana has......nothing.

Lana can be devious, merciless, cruel when necessary. She's willing to betray allies or risk their lives to achieve her goals. She can greet DS outlander's atrocities with cheerful comments. She's a very powerfull and mostlý positive character, especially when supporting LS player, atypical for Sith, but she's not a Mary Sue. She's definitely not perfect.

It has been six and a half years in game since the whole Revan arc happened. During which both Lana and Theran left their respective sides and joined the Alliance. People touch on how these two characters acted before the Eternal Empire and my argument would be that we don't really see how that war effect either of them as we were coffee tables at the time. I think it is totally reasonable that neither of them claim any loyalty to the factions they started in. I think the bigger question is, assuming the new war brings the Empire v Republic story back to the forefront and divides the Alliance, where will they end up going.

Lana can be devious, merciless, cruel when necessary. She's willing to betray allies or risk their lives to achieve her goals. She can greet DS outlander's atrocities with cheerful comments. She's a very powerfull and mostlý positive character, especially when supporting LS player, atypical for Sith, but she's not a Mary Sue. She's definitely not perfect.

Only in a pragmatic sense, and she never really puts her foot down about any of it beyond maybe the time she "allowed" Theron to be captured on Rishi. My point is the writers gave her all the "best attributes" while leaving her no "drawbacks".

That calm disposition isn't unique (among the Sith) to Lana, of course.

Notable examples would include Darth Gravus (although in his case, it comes off more as terminal fatigue or something). Perhaps we could include Darth Marr as well. I mean yes, he's grumpy about things, but I'm left with the impression of that being as much part of the image he wants to project as it is about his true nature. (Think about what he tells the player in KotFE Chapter XII, when you challenge him about being still in armour.) Even Acina is like that.

(Darth Lachris is debatable, however. She seems to take a certain malicious joy out of personally slaughtering the previous governor of Balmorra, but she definitely has herself under fairly tight control.)

When all is said and done, however, I'd have to say that there is very little doubt that Lana is the story-writing team's favourite character, by a very, very wide margin.

Don't remember Gravus. Haven't done Taris storyline in a long time.

Marr I never got a calm impression from. He's in control of himself, sure, but there's always a violent current that seems to simmer just below the surface, waiting for the right moment to burst out. Kudos to the Voice Acting. I thought he was generally portrayed well, though wasted too quickly.

Acina was interesting in the brief time she was in Kotet, then Iokath happened, and ruined her characterization completely.

Even so, nearly all Sith I can recall both in game and elsewhere act with some semblance of self-serving behavior. It's a side effect of Dark Side users. Altruism and the Dark Side just don't go together. But, we don't ever see any of that from Lana. The cruel things she advocates are always in support of a mission objective, never personal.

They're loyal to Bioware's writers, and that's it. They're the narrative guides Bioware's using to shove players down one avenue or another.

You could make the case they're loyal only to the Outlander now, but I don't see that as realistically possible unless they're the chosen romance option. Then it might be believable that they rejected all their former associations and ideals in favor of a romance.

There's too many inconsistencies within their own behaviors to warrant a cohesive rationale for their loyalty.

Theron: caves in far too easily when the Outlander decides in favor of the Empire on Iokath. Sure, he may have some unresolved daddy issues, but there's no way he's turning on Satele so easily. Also, he seems not much bothered by all the tyrannical behavior of a full DS Outlander, despite how similar it is to all the tyranny he's trying to stop.

I will agree on some of this. The only way I (personally) can see Theron doing anything along side a DS psycho, is if a romance happened. I think that would also change him from the Theron we know, but that would require to much work on the part of BW.

For sure I believe he'd see Malcolm as not all that great and Satele in a some what more positive light.

However, I'm not sure family issues is really that powerful of a flaw, that you're making it out to be. If one is going to look at that as a flaw, one can easily look at Lana's self doubt back in SoR as a flaw.

Lana to is trying to stop the tyranny that a real DSer could be trying to stop many times over, but goes a long with it too, however, being a Sith, people tend to over look that. :p "We must stop the Emperor! He's TO EVIL!" *PC becomes like Emperor* "Yay!" :p It's not just a Theron issue, but more players are willing to overlook it when it comes to Lana.

This isn't to say, that Lana is against a one ruler to rule them all style of government :p Or against ruling with an Iron Fist. However, there's ruling with an Iron Fist and being a crazed tyrannical leader.

Again, back to the BW flaw in writing. Some of which is likely to be blamed on the players. Face it, being to evil should get you betrayed and dead quickly. At least betrayed and on the run. :p Players don't want that. As we constantly hear from people, they want it even on both sides, even when it would make no sense.

"We lost a NPC?! They should lose an NPC!" Which would make a lot more sense if the game actually split you up on both sides and didn't let you play both sides.

And blonde bombshell? I recall her coming out and almost everyone saying how ugly they thought she was. :p

Back to Theron and Lana. I will say, when Lana caves to the PC she does get the better lines. "You're impossible." comes to mind. :p So that could be a writer bias too.

However, she has flaws. For one, she still has that dark side. Kill the enemy now, without thinking a few steps ahead on "Could this enemy become an ally?"

Now admittedly, Jedi are just as guilty of sparing lives when they likely should have just taken them to save so many more. :p

All in all though, when teamed with a LS to a DS leaning but not totally DS PC, the three of them together (PC, Lana and Theron) are a great team that makes sense. Pure DS because you're DS...want to become the next tyrannical leader. Nope. Sorry. Makes no sense.

I will agree on some of this. The only way I (personally) can see Theron doing anything along side a DS psycho, is if a romance happened. I think that would also change him from the Theron we know, but that would require to much work on the part of BW.

For sure I believe he'd see Malcolm as not all that great and Satele in a some what more positive light.

However, I'm not sure family issues is really that powerful of a flaw, that you're making it out to be. If one is going to look at that as a flaw, one can easily look at Lana's self doubt back in SoR as a flaw.

Not so much a "flaw" per se, as a key to what makes them tick, and something that would cause them to act a certain way later on, something that humanizes them. We could understand some sort of emotion coming from Theron about the Republic and his family, but Lana? What would upset or drive her to do...anything? What would she wrestle with? The Empire, where Sith are constantly backstabbing each other anyway, her family (does she even have any?) There's actually not hardly anything that seems to "challenge" Lana as a character.

Lana to is trying to stop the tyranny that a real DSer could be trying to stop many times over, but goes a long with it too, however, being a Sith, people tend to over look that. :p "We must stop the Emperor! He's TO EVIL!" *PC becomes like Emperor* "Yay!" :p It's not just a Theron issue, but more players are willing to overlook it when it comes to Lana.

This isn't to say, that Lana is against a one ruler to rule them all style of government :p Or against ruling with an Iron Fist. However, there's ruling with an Iron Fist and being a crazed tyrannical leader.

Again, back to the BW flaw in writing. Some of which is likely to be blamed on the players. Face it, being to evil should get you betrayed and dead quickly. At least betrayed and on the run. :p Players don't want that. As we constantly hear from people, they want it even on both sides, even when it would make no sense.

"We lost a NPC?! They should lose an NPC!" Which would make a lot more sense if the game actually split you up on both sides and didn't let you play both sides.

Lol, that is a problem BW will always have with this game since players always think the PC is the "exception to the rule" even when it comes to how they treat others, further missed out on when the "choices that matter" ended up being nothing but marketing BS. Also, how they categorize/align the LS/DS choices could use some help.

As long as they don't have at least two different story paths, it will never work well either. You can't have people reacting the same way to a LS character and their choices as a full DS character and their choices. It simply doesn't make sense.

And blonde bombshell? I recall her coming out and almost everyone saying how ugly they thought she was. :p

Back to Theron and Lana. I will say, when Lana caves to the PC she does get the better lines. "You're impossible." comes to mind. :p So that could be a writer bias too.

However, she has flaws. For one, she still has that dark side. Kill the enemy now, without thinking a few steps ahead on "Could this enemy become an ally?"

Now admittedly, Jedi are just as guilty of sparing lives when they likely should have just taken them to save so many more. :p

I remember when she came out and everyone gasped at how ugly she was. Of course, they didn't leave her that way. She got a serious makeover for KotFE. Even though it makes sense for her to be ugly with DS corruption, that's not the end product we got.

Once again, though, we run into the games "choice" mechanics. Nothing ever came of sparing or not sparing certain people, despite what we were told. So it's hard to gauge how much it mattered to kill person x or not. Additionally, no one in their right mind spares Arcann. Not even the most noble Jedi would've realistically done so. There's too many reasons why it makes no sense.

Broadly, I think it's pretty simple. They are loyal to the Alliance because they helped build it. It's THEIR Alliance at this point, not just the Outlander/Emperor/Peacekeeper's. And that's what it boils down to.

More specifically, I think that because Lana was written with such a hard on for the Outlander, and because she's completely gray and ambiguous, you could justify her going along with any decision the Outlander makes for the Alliance. There's nothing I could think to do that Lana would disapprove of enough to do anything but scold me for. That's just how she was created and I think that's why many find her boring. She is loyal to the Outlander, above all.

Theron's a little different. I don't think it's all about the Outlander for him. He's always had the goal of opposing Zakuul and its turrible ruling family because of the oppression and injustice they brought. Now that they're gone, what, exactly, is his purpose now? The Iokath situation is his first real test, as far as I can see. Obviously, everything's fine if you choose Republic, but how can he be cool with you choosing Empire - the oppressive regime he's fought his entire life?

I think it's because Acina helped his Alliance when he needed it and seems more reasonable than most Sith. Also, the various issues he's had with Saresh and the Republic leadership doesn't help his opinion of them. He trusts his own Alliance more than the Republic to get **** done. And then the way they wrote Malcom in Iokath was pretty disturbing.

If Malcom had been more level headed and had tried to reach out and work with Theron instead of bomb him to hell immediately, it would have been a little harder to justify Theron working against the Republic. I guess they had to write Malcom as mayor of crazy town for it to make any sense. :(

Edited by Ralei

Why do people insinuate that Lana's holding a torch for the Outlander regardless of whether you romance her or not? While I think she holds them in high regard given all she risks to rescue them, it doesn't seem accurate to say that she's like a certain someone *coughLiaracough* who's clearly pining even if you choose someone else.

It has been six and a half years in game since the whole Revan arc happened. During which both Lana and Theran left their respective sides and joined the Alliance. People touch on how these two characters acted before the Eternal Empire and my argument would be that we don't really see how that war effect either of them as we were coffee tables at the time. I think it is totally reasonable that neither of them claim any loyalty to the factions they started in. I think the bigger question is, assuming the new war brings the Empire v Republic story back to the forefront and divides the Alliance, where will they end up going.

I agree - we've seen him say that the Republic he fought for before is gone.

Edited by Dracofish

Speaking of which, this is something that's really bothering me about KotFE, KotET, and Iokath: the timeskip has been used as an excuse to completely rewrite the game's world without actually developing any of the changes. Saresh, for example, went from a moderately competent politician (and a much less competent leader) whose decision-making is clouded by her hate-on for the Empire, to a mustache-twirling supervillain who apparently exists just to undermine the player, and she apparently brought the entire Republic along with her, given how disillusioned Theron and Jorgan are about... something. And Jace Malcom's become a trigger-happy nutjob. At least, if you side with the Empire. If you side with the Republic, he's totally cool with not blowing up the galaxy.

Meanwhile, the Empire is being sold to us as the good guys now, even though we have no reason to believe they're not still the same slaving, genocidal, authoritarian regime they always were (Sure, Acina tells us they're different now, but she's also clearly putting on a show to gain the Outlander's help and if an Imperial character flies their ship to Dromund Kaas or Korriban, it's still the same Dromund Kaas and Korriban from five years ago).

Bringing this back around to Theron and Lana specifically, we run into a key issue: we have no idea who these people are. Sure, we know who they were five years ago, but all we've got on what's been happening since then is a few sentences from each of them on what they've been up to. For all we know, they could both still be working for their respective agencies and could have been planning to betray you if you didn't side with their team from the beginning. BW could literally reveal anything about them or anyone else and cover it with an excuse of "Hey, it's been five years, a lot can change."

-snip-

Bringing this back around to Theron and Lana specifically, we run into a key issue: we have no idea who these people are. Sure, we know who they were five years ago, but all we've got on what's been happening since then is a few sentences from each of them on what they've been up to. For all we know, they could both still be working for their respective agencies and could have been planning to betray you if you didn't side with their team from the beginning. BW could literally reveal anything about them or anyone else and cover it with an excuse of "Hey, it's been five years, a lot can change."

I laughed, because that last line reminded me of something Theron can say in the conversation when he first arrives on Odessan . "It's been a long five years, it feels like everything's changed"

That about sums it up. we do not know these characters at all anymore, in-game through conversations and story that is. Guess you could head cannon anything you want but there's not enough Outlander and companion solely chats and conversations to get to know the characters. They could do anything with them now.

My suspicion these days is that Theron and Lana are working for Jadus, deep cover operatives that can easily assume the roles of republic and empire spies, they have been working for Jadus for years as moles inside both empires, eventually the outlander comes to his attention and puts Lana in first with the need to save the outlander and save the galaxy, Jadus would of seen the threat from the zakuulans for what it is and made sure the outlander got what he/she needed, and later on Jadus would of planned the outlander build a base on Odessen and have Theron there for stability and an extra mole in those operations. This way Jadus can keep tabs on all three of his rival powerbases so he can plan accordingly with any potential invasion later on.