Why aren't Weapons a Part of Outfit Designer?

Elemutation

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so great to see everyone's awesome ideas and enthusiasm in this thread - keep 'em coming!

Well the other popular demand would be a hood toggle, even if this is not implemented now bioware could quite easily mitigate the issue by having hood up and down options for each new set, since outfit designer would solve a lot of this if we had hood down chest pieces. So for instance a new cartel armour set would come with 2 chest pieces in the upper armour box and would place both in inventory when redeemed from collections.

I am also curious to which sound you would hear from the weapon the cosmetic one or the actual weapon.

A long time coming, now, how about dyes for our speeders?

Well make a thread for that, but i dont think it would be possible, for example in case of the Aratech series, they come in different colors, so that would kinda suck.

A long time coming, now, how about dyes for our speeders?

I really doubt we'll see this, unfortunately. Bioware likes releasing different colours of speeders for sale in packs or direct purchase - I doubt they'd step on that income by letting you just paint a base model to match their shiny new.

I really doubt we'll see this, unfortunately. Bioware likes releasing different colours of speeders for sale in packs or direct purchase - I doubt they'd step on that income by letting you just paint a base model to match their shiny new.

Don't forget that mounts in this game become "abilities" once learned.

How do you "dye" an ability?

Even if you "dyed" the actual item before "learning the ability", the database would need to be revised and updated to be able to track the actual "look" that was learned by each character, possibly even multiple "looks" for the same mount, if a player wants to purchase multiple copies of a mount for a single character and dye them all differently.

Weapons in outfits sounds great. Would it also be possible to add a hide holstered weapon toggle for the outfits? Sometimes the weapon just clips really noticeably, usually issue with cape and back holstered weapons.

Having toggles for hood, buttcape and cape would also be nice if it's possible to do it without huge effort.

Honestly, it comes down to priorities - we've been very focused on features that supported story chapters and gameplay, so this didn't make it to the top of the list. But this year, we've shifted some of our focus to broader features that improve the overall gameplay experience and add better customization and convenience options.

That's great to hear. And cosmetic weapons would be great to have. That said, I sincerely hope you guys will also tackle one of the longest requested features to improve overall gameplay experience and convenience, the option to enable overhead chat bubbles for /say, /yell and /emote player chat which has been promised again and again since they were "temporarily removed" from beta to "improve performance" but pushed back all the time for over five years.

Here is a useful conversation we had with SWTOR's own then-GUI developer @Cory Kolek about them a couple of years back which features some information that the devs appear to have forgotten about:

Since you're a GUI guy, would you be the person to work on chat bubbles as well?

I don't have much else to say on the topic than what was already said in that thread.

I can get a bit more technical on the topic though. As it was said before chat bubbles were a huge performance hit on the game when we had initially implemented them in beta. We're talking upwards of 400Mbs of video memory used on chat bubbles alone. Nameplates had the same issue. We fixed nameplates but have not had time to do the same with chat bubbles. If you played in beta and saw our initial implementation of them they weren't very pretty or as fully featured as we'd like them to be. So, yes, we would like to implement them again, but when we do we want to do it right.

Note that the cited 400MBs of video memory is peanuts these days where even low-end video cards have 2GB of memory (back during beta/launch 256MB-768MB was common for consumer video cards, with 1.5GB and 3GB video cards just beginning to appear in the high-end segment of the market), and a performance fix may not be as critical as it was back in the day.

You can find more information about the topic in the following linked thread. The Timeline of official statements by Bioware behind the spoiler tag regarding the issue in it is a very interesting read):

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=415849#post415849

Since you guys are saying that you'll finally focus on things that improve the gameplay experience and convenience features, I truly hope speech bubbles will finally be on the list of priorities again. Many of us have waited for them to return for almost six years now, especially those people that loved them in SWTOR's quasi-predecessor Star Wars Galaxies that was shut down in favour of SWTOR. Heck, even Elder Scrolls Online which is based on a similar engine as SWTOR and where the devs outright stated they will never add them, has gotten chat bubbles before SWTOR, where the developers actually promised over and over again to fix and implement them "soon", which is just a shame. It's one of the convenience features that is essential to many MMORPG players still missing to this day, and the long wait for them without a light at the end of the tunnel in sight has driven many away from the game in the past. Hopefully some of them will return once a definitive commitment to the implementation of chat bubbles has been made by the development team.

Thank you very much!

Edited by Glzmo

CharlesBoyd - Would it be too much to ask if the outfit designer bug will be finally fixed? it's been like this for almost a year despite repeated posts on the subject which to my knowledge have all gone unanswered by BW.

As someone who likes to tinker with the outfits it's a right pain in the backside to open the designer window then have various body parts dissapear randomly, so you close it, open it again and hope it lasts long enough for you to see the results before bugging out again.

I have no wish to be a broken record on this issue but speaking as somone who has been a sub here from the very start it's annoying to see such an issue repeatedly ignored.

Anything you can do to fix this issue would be appreciated by a lot more than just me.

ps: welcome back to the forums :cool:

Dude you are so on point. That has to be among the most annoying bugs ive encountered as someone who is constantly tinkering with outfits for my toons.

Oh man I gotta start hoarding all the good looking weapons. I use Legacy weapons for conveniences sake and shed a single tear every time i see a cool weapon I'd love to use, because I know I will never bother modding it over legacy ones. So many cool weapons not getting used because they're not part of the designer, looking forward to seeing more variation in weapon-picks.

It's so great to see everyone's awesome ideas and enthusiasm in this thread - keep 'em coming!

Honestly, it comes down to priorities - we've been very focused on features that supported story chapters and gameplay, so this didn't make it to the top of the list. But this year, we've shifted some of our focus to broader features that improve the overall gameplay experience and add better customization and convenience options. So with that in mind, it makes sense to see if we can add weapons to Outfit Designer this year.

This is an entirely fair critique; I have always read the forums daily, but it's silly to have gone so long without actually posting. I promise be more talkative in the future. Keith definitely sets a good example in this regard :)

It just concerns me that there's this notion that these forums (especially this one) and genchat represent a broad swath of the player base and fandom and that, I'm afraid, could not be further from the truth.

Come visit us on Tumblr. It's weird and engaged and not at all fluffy most days. You would certainly learn why people have stopped subbing the game but not stopped loving the content and the fandom.

Give us other outlets to speak directly to you, the staff, without the intervention of the peanut gallery. (<---- that's me, being nice.) And not through forced surveys with 50-character comment limits.