Maintenance: May 2nd, 2017

EricMusco

This made me smile (a little - while dying inside). I feel the same about my mental illnesses sometimes. I even slept away the down time because of them, as I'd taken the day off from trying to do real life things a change, the one day/evening I was actually really 'feeling' it...

So here I am, sitting pathetically at my laptop, feeling awful for the Bioware Austin team having to work under pressure and probably having to stay late to sort this... but also mourning the loss of (approaching) 6 hours (well a whole day) that I would only have wasted standing around in my stronghold just spacebarring to avoid being logged out....

The point is I'm not complaining I'm rambling, ultimately I bloody love SWTOR, look after it, Bioware! I needs it, my precious....:jawa_angel:

I'm sorry for the mental illnesses you speak of. And I'm not here to make you feel low or anything of that nature.

But working under pressure...

I'm an IT-Technician at an huge IT / Datacenter here in Sweden - And it's not as bad as you might think.

I understand they are doing their best, sure. But what people are saying, is that they pay for a service, and they cannot use it. Of course, they are people, stuff happens. Myself, Is too familiar with it. But I think people would be happier with an ETA example: 3 - 4 hours. (Rough estimated), than nothing.

Have a good one.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else visualize the angriest ppl in this thread as the knight/warrior who leaps ahead in the flashpoint, aggroes everything, dies, and then blames the healer?

Based on no data whatsoever, i feel like childish tantrums and bad players are synonymous...

I am sometimes that knight.. and yes I do... I really do :p

Dont tell me he is building a wall through the EA datacenter! Well.. wouldnt we be paying for it then somehow? Makes us that... hmmm... you see, this is what happens when we can't play... we get mellow!

I will say I am an avid lvl 85 player with SWGOH and in Heroes, they'll give out Crystals and goodies like it's nothing when there's a major hiccup - this is a LOT more of a complicated and sophisticated game - nowhere near as high revenue-generating but we should still get love in the Old Republic being it's one of thje last vestiges of Pre-Disney ownership and is a guardian of the lore be it considered non/side-canon regardless.

heres a thought Bioware don't frickin use bitraider it's absolute trash you were fools to invest in this software from the get go. Secondly uve been running this game for about 5 yrs why haven't you invested in better equipment to make the game patching and running more smoother your shooting yourself in the foot constantly. Edited by Azathon

I just have to shake my head. Yeah, the maintenance ran longer than planned. No one likes that. You know who that "no one" includes? The people who did the work on it, and the people responsible for delivering the bad news to us when it doesn't go as planned. Everyone would much rather nothing go wrong, and that includes the devs and CS staff. Sure, people would rather have been playing instead of refreshing the forums, but think about this for a minute. Imagine you worked on a patch, things seemed fine, you took the servers down to implement the patch... and then you brought the servers back and nothing worked. You've got an angry mob breathing down your neck, yelling at you, and you're supposed to figure out how to fix it when, as far as you can tell, it should be working right now. Then you've got people screaming at you that your communication has been terrible, purely because what you're communicating is something they don't want to hear. You're supposed to remain pleasant anyway, regardless of what absurd comments are thrown your way.

tl;dr: They're people, too, and don't like this any more than we do--perhaps less than we do. They've given us 7 updates in about 6 hours about this downtime, which is well beyond what any other MMO I've played recently has been willing to do. From my perspective, their communication has been fantastic, both in frequency and in actually containing concrete information about the problems.

Actually this is how you improve their performance. Exactly how you improve their performance - by holding them accountable for their screwups... and make no mistake, they own this. To bend over backwards to give them the benefit of the doubt doesn't help. Well, I'm willing to give them some time to address unexpected issues - not 6 hours worth.

This is a massive blunder on their part. It is good that they don't like this. It is also good that they take every criticism and not like that either. Because they deserve every. single. word. And they know it. They only person I feel sorry for is the messenger. He doesn't have much control over the situation and has a very tough job because he typically becomes a misplaced target.

or Going "Office Space" on a computer terminal one

Fearsome Rage:

I went to work shortly before the update ... And what did I see after I returned 9 hours later? Is still being updated = _ = "

SO it;s all your fault since we've been waiting for you to come back. ;)

Edited by dr_mike

This is like if I ordered a McNugget meal, and had the cashier tell me they have to make fresh nuggets so i'll have to wait. BUT while waiting, the entire McDonalds kitchen blows up and now I have to wait for them to re-model the whole ***** before I can get my *********** nuggets.

Actually this is how you improve their performance. Exactly how you improve their performance - by holding them accountable for their screwups... and make no mistake, they own this. To bend over backwards to give them the benefit of the doubt doesn't help. Well, I'm willing to give them some time to address unexpected issues - not 6 hours worth.

This is a massive blunder on their part. It is good that they don't like this. It is also good that they take every criticism and not like that either. Because they deserve every. single. word. And they know it. They only person I feel sorry for is the messenger. He doesn't have much control over the situation and has a very tough job because he typically becomes a misplaced target.

Quoted for truth - I love Musco and Keith for staying in touch and being earnest but this is an obvious technical failure that people in my company would be fired over for not foreseeing any 3rd party-related obstacles.

To Kieth:

Thank You for giving us a tidbit of details on whats going on its always better then having Erics "No ETA" makes us think you guys are working even harder to solve the problem and it gives all of us a scope at how big the problem can be and for those of us who understand the language see why it can take so long to solve.

To Players asking for compensation:

So do you want $0.50 back? that's about how much 1 day of subscription costs. I mean hey I don't mind freebies but still keep in mind its about 50 cents for 24 hours of subscription (USD) don't expect much if anything (though i would love a nice weekend 50% off collections global unlock to throw that into the fray because why not).[/quote]

You cant look at a sub being put at 50 cents per day. I know that is what it breaks down to but everyone doesnt play the same amount of time per day. I play 90% of my game time on my day off. That means my sub is really only broken down to 4 days. So to me the value of down time would be more to 25% of my sub. To other people who might work today and wont even log in it wont matter.

I feel for you, but your specific play schedule doesn't really factor in to how much time you've lost ACCESS to the game. If you can/choose to only play 4 days, it's still available to you the entire rest of the month, barring today. Therefore, your day's loss is still worth about 50 cents.

So, uhm... I'm going out on a limb here; imagine the server is talking about how it's blowing up in a huge ka-blammo type blast if anyone tries to rewire it... one guy rewires it, the server snickers and tells him how it's rewired itself to prevent such tampering... and at some point Vette just pops out of it?

... Actually, I'd count that as a win, if that were the case, because how could one not count a Vette prank as a win.

Or maybe Kaliyo couldn't find a droid but ended up stumbling into the server room, after a bit too much hard drinking...

Wait, it's that Aric guy right? Still upset that I ended up in charge of Havoc squad? So now he's screwing up my game time?

That's it, bromantic feelings or not, enjoy spending the rest of your military carreer digging latrines for Hutts, Jorgan...

Keith and Eric thanks for all the feedback throughout the evening.

Almost 11pm here in Ireland and no sign of the game being available to play so I'm off to bed. Its not the end of the world but a free day or two extra sub for everyone would go a long way to making up for the wasted day's sub ( and not the first - lets be fair here).....there is precedent for it ....go back to the early days of the game - it happened (once!!).

Hope you get the game fixed up - we do appreciate that sith happens and you are trying your best..

*Jedi mind trick* - YOU WANT TO GIVE US 2 DAYS FREE SUB AND YOU NEED TO GO HOME AND RE-THINK YOUR LIFE :D

Does anyone else visualize the angriest ppl in this thread as the knight/warrior who leaps ahead in the flashpoint, aggroes everything, dies, and then blames the healer?

Based on no data whatsoever, i feel like childish tantrums and bad players are synonymous...

And all the ppl in here defending them would be the ones writing propaganda spin for a dictator

As the healer who usually gets blamed...this is all too real.

guys my girlfriend is going to be home in 2 hours and I REALLY wanted to play before she comes back and makes me do really dumb **** like watch Atlanta housewives and do me up in drag.

BW/EA should create a special page on their website for server status and another one for system alerts so they don't have to create a forum thread to tell people about server status or put alerts about the system like that the login server is broken and you can't log in...

At least the server status page shows the servers are down now (it just had an error earlier).

guys my girlfriend is going to be home in 2 hours and i really wanted to play before she comes back and makes me do really dumb **** like watch atlanta housewives and do me up in drag.

me *********** too

guys my girlfriend is going to be home in 2 hours and I REALLY wanted to play before she comes back and makes me do really dumb **** like watch Atlanta housewives and do me up in drag.

Bro...you've got problems that far exceed videogame server downtimes. You'd best get a handle on that while you still can...