Maintenance: May 2nd, 2017

EricMusco

This is getting ridiculous. An entire day wasted. Should have just rolled it back to prior to the update when the first errors occurred.

The amount is not the point. The point is, we pay for a subscription, we know that updates happen, but this has gone beyond what would normally be expected. Some type of compensation is warranted. I, for one, would like to see an extra day added to my game time as compensation for this lost day. That would be fair, and would at least show that BW/EA gave a toss about their subscribers.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could write a thesis on the sense of entitlement in this thread. They will get it fixed, and absolutely No one in this thread is unsubbing. If you love it so much you can't go a day without it you aren't leaving.

9 AM PDT is noon here. It is now past 5 PM here. That's not good communication. That is 5 hours late. No one has done a good job today on their end. Just calling it like I see it. A spade a spade, right?

Ben never talked to us, it's a step in the right direction. If there's no new information to give then what else is there to say?

I don't know anything about networking, but the datacenters/severs is that third party? If so, that means they likely have little to no control over the problem, correct?

I appreciate Keith's forthrightness in coming out and telling us what is going on. It's much greater transparency than we've gotten before and it's certainly something we deserve to know. I sincerely applaud him for giving us that much detail as to today's troubles

That said, the gaming day in Europe is basically already over. It's past 5PM on the East Coast and this downtime is starting to eat into our gaming time. This is the third time in the past month where a patch did not go through as announced, the second time the patch caused problems (5.2 most infamously has the bug which prevents you from getting new companions), and today we literally cannot play at all. I have guildmembers who were slow to or didn't come back at least in part because of the initial delay to 5.2, and at least one who has held off until the companion bug is fixed. If/When he finds out he can't log in this evening it wouldn't surprise me if he gives up on the game entirely. These constant problems and disappointments are killing interest in this game, and the seeming lack of improvement with regards to them is frustrating and demoralizing for those of us who really want it to be good.

At some point Bioware owes something more to its subscriber base than explanations and empty apologies. At the very least they can compensate us for a day of sub time, but what they should be doing is better. Better development, better QA, better.

I am not a "new folk". I have made and remade too many toons to count. Yes I left the game for awhile, but my legacy is level 50. I have several high level toons... and I STILL hate double xp when I roll or reroll a brand new toon. Part of that reason - not the whole issue - is that I like playing in some of the lower tiers for a break... and I also like grouping with guildies or friends who are rolling around on a lowbie (whether they are a fresh player or not).

I didn't call you a new player. I meant that while new folks are hampered by the lack of playtime in developing their rotations when they level ultra-quick and/or get insta 60s or 65s, many veterans prefer the option to spin up a clone of an alt class that we already know for an extra raid group or something of the like.

I understand that you enjoy the levelling process; you can enjoy it by using the free in game item that reduces levelling back to vanilla levels. Those of us who still want the boosted levelling can keep it; everyone wins. :)

Players deserve to have extra time added back to their subscriptions after today....

Patch and errors take up most of the day. I pay to play but, didn't get to today.

Would like to see the SWTOR Team give players a day extra on their subscriptions since today is essentially a lost cause and chances of getting anything done in normal day hours is ruined.

We as players and paying customers deserve this much at least. We understand issues and errors happen but, if we have to wait on you all to fix it, then the time on our subscriptions shouldn't be affected by the SWTOR Team's inability to get the game working in a more timely manner.

Thanks Bioware!

Hey everyone,

Wow, what a day trying to get everyone back in the game! As you already know, maintenance today has not gone as planned. So, I felt it was important to jump in and discuss what's transpired and what's going on.

First, during our initial validation steps this morning, anyone using BitRaider to update the SWTOR client quickly discovered nothing was actually downloaded. This delayed the opening by about an hour.

Second, as soon as we were ready to verify everything was working properly (around 11:30am CT), we found we couldn't connect to the game and were receiving a Login Server is unavailable message. Unfortunately, this was a Datacenter wide issue, preventing access to more than just SWTOR. It took a while to identify what was causing the issue, so they were unable to provide all of us with an ETA.

Third, we now have access to the game, and everyone should be able to patch their clients, but we are still having connection issues with the back-end services. Again, we don't have an ETA on full resolution, yet.

I sincerely apologize for all the delays today. I've already had discussions with all the teams involved and it remains my personal goal to have any SWTOR maintenance complete early; not be delayed like what happened today.

Thanks for your understanding and patience with us today!

---Keith

+ points for both transparency and promptness of said transparency.

Players hate it when there are delays, but ^%$& happens, and we all have to cope with it. Not keeping us completely in the dark here and giving us information as you have the onion peeled is definitely a good thing, and doubly so for SWTOR... which has historically been poor at transparency and timeliness in giving players feedback about technical, or other, game issues.

What part of "the datacenter was down" do you utterly fail to understand? Bioware doesn't manufacture the servers that the game runs on. This additional downtime wasn't planned. I'm trying to use small words.

It's ok to be wrong. It's less ok to be wrong and loud. Shhhhhhhhh.

Great quote!

You could write a thesis on the sense of entitlement in this thread. They will get it fixed, and absolutely No one in this thread is unsubbing. If you love it so much you can't go a day without it you aren't leaving.

You are absolutely, unequivocally wron on too many levels to count. Entitlements are given to folks for free.... People who pay for a product expect what they pay for. Period. That isnt entitlement.

I mean... you can gripe about the 'whiners' as you call them, but the fact is, if they leave, it will hurt the game in the long run. And while I don't believe in the whole 'the customer is always right', there's a reason for the expression. So, you can 'whine' about the 'whiners' LOL, but it doesn't change the fact that this down time really irks some people and they may unsub as a result. Telling them they're whiners doesn't actually help anything xD.

All these Rants, it's kind of funny actually. All this over a Game. What if, now imagine this and tell me how you would react, or even do?

Bioware calls it quits, closes their doors, no warning, the servers are down for good. What would you do?

All these Rants, it's kind of funny actually. All this over a Game. What if, now imagine this and tell me how you would react, or even do?

Bioware calls it quits, closes their doors, no warning, the servers are down for good. What would you do?

play a different game...

Find another game to play? Duh. Like, what's your point?

Edited by Blade_Redwind

Back to Farmville? :rolleyes:

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: You're toast.

scrapper scoundrel abilities

r.rolling punches: backblast grants rolling punches, which increases ranged and tech critical chance by 5% for 15 seconds.

The second of two buffs triggered by backblast; rolling punches is a major boon to the scrapper scoundrel. Because of various spec passives which increase base critical chance on various abilities combined with this self-buff, scrapper has a rather high critical chance compared to other specs. This allows you to gear for power rather than critical rating in order to increase your base damage, allowing you to be somewhat competitive in the dps compartment with other specs, never giving anyone up, never making anyone cry, or hur... er, nevermind.

:jawa_angel:

Edited by BenduKundalini

So This ^^

Murphy's Law says: "That if everything seems to be going great, looks again you obviously over looked something"

and "If something bad can happen, It will"

Edited by denavin