Iokath WPvP not encouraged and virtually nonexistent

Talon_strikes

Who said anything about incentives for me? I'm in the PvP instance already :)

The goal here is to incentivize more people to go to the pvp instances, and give them some reward to balance the additional risk. Is that really so hard to understand?

Without going into massive detail and also repeating the idea too many times...

They should really look into a server wide ranking system for all players PvE and PvP which tracks specific progress. AKA Player kills, NPC kills, Most healing done in a WZ, most healing done in a PvE instance, most WZ medals achieved, most OPs bosses downed... and so on.

Now, reward say the top 5 players in each category with cartel market quality rewards monthly...This provides incentives for all aspect of the game and also for people to play at a higher competitive level as well..

Now on to the PvP instance scenario...This incentive/ranking system could also include "most objectives completed in a PvP instance" or the like...Just a thought for a system that benefits both PvP and PvE players but would help bring people into lesser played or neglected areas of the game.

I have posted this before but generally was over shadowed by people arguing over forced PvP...

Edited by Soljin

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right. If any specific part of the player population get something and the others don't people spit the dummy across the room and cry out it's not fair.

I think the easiest solution is make it one combined instance of both pve and pvp. Put a safe guard in place that you have to flag for pvp or you can't participate in it. That way there are no "accidents" of people being flagged because people couldn't even attack another player unless they were flagged (stops people tricking others into pvp by nefarious methods)

Then we can all be one big happy family 😊

What would that accomplish other than to give the gankers the opportunity to grief those that choose not to flag, whether that be by following the unflagged players around, killing all the quest mobs so the unflagged players cannot complete their missions, sitting on quest mobs or quest objectives, or some other means?

If Johnny chooses not enter the PVP instance, then logically he is not likely to choose to flag if they "lump the PVE and PVP instances together". If the majority of people are in the PVE instances to avoid being ganked, then logically they are not likely going to flag if they "lump the PVE and PVP instances together".

Sure the gankers might see more people, but if those people are not flagged, then the gankers don't really benefit do they?

I couldnt bother reading the 10 pages but from what i see on TRE the PVP instance is quite populated and active, mainly around the spawn points.

Around the spawn points.

Gee. There's a shock.

"Farm them as they enter or rez.".

Sounds like at least some of the "PVP'ers" are really only interested in easy kills, and not "true PVP".

A few points:

1. Low server population has a huge impact on "gank squads." With higher population, players can form a response team and/or have more people to lure on their side -- whether guildies, guild-alliances, or people in their same instance.

The players on "low population" servers are there because they CHOOSE to be on those servers, for whatever reason.

Combining the PVP and PVE players into the same instance(s) is not going to magically increase the server population or increase the number of people to "lure on their side".

2. Ilum partially solved Faction imbalance. If you are in a 20 man ops group, the game bundles people in 4's by ops frame. While this doesn't solve large gank groups, it does help with intra-faction rivalry. For example, entire guilds could battle each other even if they are all imperial.

A 20 man OPS group being split into 5 4 man "blocks" that have the "option" to fight each other means nothing when that 20 man OPS group is solely focused on ganking other players who are at an extreme disadvantage.

a little off topic: Ilum could be made great again with a little love and incentive (and ofc fixing Red Octagon/ Blue Octagon cheeve titles). Unfortunately, Ilum is a ghost town even during Ilum events because the event has been overplayed. It used to be a nice, rare event that everyone was excited for.... now it's old hat.)

I don't believe that Ilum could ever be "made great again". Even if BW were to add additional incentives to the Ilum PVP areas, you might see a very brief surge until players got the rewards they want, after which the tumbleweeds would return. Should BW continue to add an increase the PVP rewards every time a ganker complains that WPVP is not "incentivized enough" just to cater to what seems to be a very small minority of the player base, judging by the evidence from Iokath with regards to the numbers of people avoiding WPVP?

I do not think that Ilum being a "ghost town" is due to the Gree event having been overplayed. I think it has far more to do with the number of players who are simply not interested in WPVP (read being ganked).

While there may be a fair number of players who enjoy PVP, I'm guessing that most of them prefer instanced PVP to the gankfest that is WPVP. Instanced PVP may not be totally "fair and balanced", but it is far more "fair and balanced" than most WPVP.

Without going into massive detail and also repeating the idea too many times...

They should really look into a server wide ranking system for all players PvE and PvP which tracks specific progress. AKA Player kills, NPC kills, Most healing done in a WZ, most healing done in a PvE instance, most WZ medals achieved, most OPs bosses downed... and so on.

Now, reward say the top 5 players in each category with cartel market quality rewards monthly...This provides incentives for all aspect of the game and also for people to play at a higher competitive level as well..

Now on to the PvP instance scenario...This incentive/ranking system could also include "most objectives completed in a PvP instance" or the like...Just a thought for a system that benefits both PvP and PvE players but would help bring people into lesser played or neglected areas of the game.

I have posted this before but generally was over shadowed by people arguing over forced PvP...

We already have PVP'ers "win trading" and "kill trading" to get the "seasonal rewards" and you want to increase the "incentive" to do so with "monthly rewards" and include PVE instances in those "incentives"?

Yeah, that will work out perfectly fair and with no exploitation or abuse. Riiiggghhhhhttttttttt.

We are running our Iokath PvP War on The Red Eclipse tonight for anybody that wants to get the 500 kill achievements. Be on either faction at fleet or on Iokath when my guild starts the group guest invites at 19:10 BST (British Summer Time) and we'll summon everybody to location when the groups are setup. Got 50+ guild members signed up so far and a fair amount of interest elsewhere :)

This isn't like our usual PvP Massacre kill farming, we will just have night dedicated to this one location and fight it out as ops groups. Big brawl style.

I will try and record the slideshow and stick it on Youtube later if it's watchable :w_tongue:

What are you talking about exactly? Just standing around on Fleet? You are rewarded for the activities you do, and rewarded greater if you form a group in the form of faster gains. PvP is a form of group play that is also incentivized.

glad we agree that pvp already has incentives, it doesnt need any more.

We are running our Iokath PvP War on The Red Eclipse tonight for anybody that wants to get the 500 kill achievements. Be on either faction at fleet or on Iokath when my guild starts the group guest invites at 19:10 BST (British Summer Time) and we'll summon everybody to location when the groups are setup. Got 50+ guild members signed up so far and a fair amount of interest elsewhere :)

This isn't like our usual PvP Massacre kill farming, we will just have night dedicated to this one location and fight it out as ops groups. Big brawl style.

I will try and record the slideshow and stick it on Youtube later if it's watchable :w_tongue:

^^ THIS is the way open world PvP should operate.... free form player organized and prosecuted. :)

And the incentive and reward -----> is being part of a community organized effort to have some fun whacking each other all over the zone.

Apparently the European player base knows how to make fine desert from basic ingredients, and have a party. /two-thumbs-up UlaVii. :D

Edited by Andryah

^this is how to get wpvp going. Take the initiative and schedule a time for wpvp enthusiasts to gather and have fun. This is managing your own play experience and helping out your community. My hat is off to this poster.

We already have PVP'ers "win trading" and "kill trading" to get the "seasonal rewards" and you want to increase the "incentive" to do so with "monthly rewards" and include PVE instances in those "incentives"?

Yeah, that will work out perfectly fair and with no exploitation or abuse. Riiiggghhhhhttttttttt.

I have this picture of two dudes standing in the corner repeatedly killing each other for four weeks....

I never said the idea was perfect I was trying to open a discussion on possible solutions for all types of players...goodness forbid PvP and PvE oriented players work towards a common goal...

some players will exploit anything you put in the game...Problem with SWToR in particular is they have no real time enforcement or moderation of those behaviors...

That said thanks for the not so constructive feedback pal...

The players on "low population" servers are there because they CHOOSE to be on those servers, for whatever reason.

Combining the PVP and PVE players into the same instance(s) is not going to magically increase the server population or increase the number of people to "lure on their side".

Well... every server is low population since January 2017, except maybe Harbinger. That's why I wish we would have server merges, but I digress.

A 20 man OPS group being split into 5 4 man "blocks" that have the "option" to fight each other means nothing when that 20 man OPS group is solely focused on ganking other players who are at an extreme disadvantage.

Yes, but you can fight same faction on Ilum. That makes a huge difference. I've done some nice guild v guild stuff on Ilum. 4.0 destroyed all that with PvE instances and broken achievements.

I don't believe that Ilum could ever be "made great again". Even if BW were to add additional incentives to the Ilum PVP areas, you might see a very brief surge until players got the rewards they want, after which the tumbleweeds would return. Should BW continue to add an increase the PVP rewards every time a ganker complains that WPVP is not "incentivized enough" just to cater to what seems to be a very small minority of the player base, judging by the evidence from Iokath with regards to the numbers of people avoiding WPVP?

So then, I think the incentive would have to be a daily or weekly reward instead of a one-time title or achievement. If Unassembled Components are only gained through PvP, then why not have them as some sort of reward for PvP OW daily/weekly? That's just an example.

I do not think that Ilum being a "ghost town" is due to the Gree event having been overplayed. I think it has far more to do with the number of players who are simply not interested in WPVP (read being ganked).

I don't just think Ilum is dead because of pvp. Even the dailies, weeklies, WB, and Xeno. (I play on Shadowlands, which was not dead a year ago)

While there may be a fair number of players who enjoy PVP, I'm guessing that most of them prefer instanced PVP to the gankfest that is WPVP. Instanced PVP may not be totally "fair and balanced", but it is far more "fair and balanced" than most WPVP.

Fair enough, and that's why it has to be a limited, repeatable incentive. There also shouldn't be an award for killing the same person over and over.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

What are you talking about exactly? Just standing around on Fleet? You are rewarded for the activities you do, and rewarded greater if you form a group in the form of faster gains. PvP is a form of group play that is also incentivized.

Giving incentives for owpvp makes as much sense as giving them for rp. how do you reward either? should they reward us for standing on korriban and emoting? does an owpvp kill count if you are on a team of 16 and your target is solo? That would work like a lead balloon. does the system account that your entire team is in 240+ and your target is wearing 216s? the devs reward things like ops and warzones that they created and have a decent chance of making them at least somewhat balanced, activities that we create like owpvp and rp are up to us to enact and encourage.

Well...

Yes, but you can fight same faction on Ilum. That makes a huge difference. I've done some nice guild v guild stuff on Ilum. 4.0 destroyed all that with PvE instances and broken achievements.

why exactly did 4.0 kill your guild vs guild stuff? does something prohibit more than 1 guild to be in the pvp at a time?

if this was so much fun for all, why arent you still doing it? did your mother have to tie a porkchop around your neck to get the dog to play with you?

the idea that you cant pvp if you are in a separate pvp instance from the pvers is baffling. do you need an audience?

The Iokath PvP War on TRE has ended! Great turn out with between 120-140 combatants. Was much more difficult than our other openworld events due to all the Iokath bugs but we finally got everybody the 500 kill achievements in just under 2 hours of combat.

The video is from the start just before we re-balanced the factions (kinda, Imps 2:1) and reworked the battles by splitting across two instances and calling an armistice every couple of minutes to loot the corpses.

• Significant performance drop with over 30 dead
  • No AoE loot feature means you have to click each corpse one at a time
  • Iokath Faction Switching Terminals: Non functional so people could not switch their mains to balance factions
  • People were auto-removed from ops group when they changed instance
  • Iokath desperately needs a proper cross faction chat apart from local area /say
  • LAAAAAAAAG!

My recommendation to anyone planning similar Iokath PvP events is to keep it to 4 ops groups max per instance (2 per faction) and whatever you do, take breaks and loot the corpses or you will be at 1 FPS in no time. Iokath PvP seems worse than the other planets we've run the event on because the player loot cripples gameplay even more than normal large group activities. On top of that, you spend more time clicking all the corpses than fighting! The fix for that is for BW to allow area looting the player corpses.

As you can hear in the video, we had a lot of trouble convincing people to relog to help balance out the Iokath Factions as they wanted the loot on their main characters. This should not be a problem once they fix the faction switching terminal.

Despite all the bugs, I still think Iokath is great for smaller events. Lots of fun possibilities that are not available elsewhere in the galaxy, already planning our next excursion :w_wink:

http://s3.mmoguildsites.com/s3/gallery_images/968423/original.jpg

http://s3.mmoguildsites.com/s3/gallery_images/968421/original.jpg

http://s3.mmoguildsites.com/s3/gallery_images/968419/original.jpg

http://s3.mmoguildsites.com/s3/gallery_images/968420/original.jpg

http://s3.mmoguildsites.com/s3/gallery_images/968417/original.jpg

https://s30.postimg.org/cjme9r6v5/iok1.png

https://s30.postimg.org/bsto3z4ht/imp.png

Ok, I have to make another post because it seems like all the snowflakes are piling up on PvP'ers and saying how the "lowlife gankers" are the reason why PvP is dying. That reason is absolutely ludicrous and anyone who believes that nonsense needs to stop talking like they know the PvP community when they virtually never participate in PvP themselves in the first place.

:rolleyes:

Exactly.

Which is why PvPers complaining about nobody to PvP with in the PvP instance need to direct it to their fellow PvPers. Why are they not there with you to PvP???

The last thing the studio needs to do is to force PvE and PvP together, in any zone, on any server.

False. Our anger should be directed to the studio for more mismanagement of PvP. Please stop talking about the PvP community like you know us--it's obvious you don't.

Highlighting is mine.

For a well-written, even-tempered post, this is full of non-sequiturs. How does instancing serve as a stand-in for cross-server? That sentence indicates that the poster understands neither instancing nor cross-server. DvL event killed PvP? With the connivance of 90cc server transfers? PvP or PvE players were not involved at all? BW made everybody do it? None of this makes sense unless the poster wants to elaborate on the assertions.

PvP servers became nonviable because not enough people wanted to play on them. Plain and simple. Nobody forced committed PvP players to give up PvP, move to PvE servers and play the story on umpteen characters.

I made that point about instancing to make my argument. It HAS to do with this because back then there was a justification for PvP AND PvE servers. LOTS of PvE'ers still registered on PvP servers and were able to get "ganked"--and guess what? I can remember many times that this caused WPvP to erupt organically. My bet is that the player(s) I ganked would tell their faction and then their buddies coming in and trying to kill me until I gave up or their friend(s) got their PvE missions done.

In addition, I remember Eric Musco making a point about PvP/PvE instancing to encourage friends or something to do what other friends wanted to do. I don't remember exactly what he said, but it was what he said and the way he said it that made me come to the conclusion that PvP/PvE instancing was their alternative--plus tackling on 90cc discounted transfers (both PvP'ers AND PvE'ers)--for x-server and to have the vast majority end up on mainly as few servers as possible for consistent activity.

And if in your opinion PvP servers became nonviable because no one wanted to be on PvP servers, why is it that The Fatman (the go-to server for everyone abandoning their dead PvP AND PvE server in 2012) and Pot5 were one of the largest if not the largest servers in the game during their prime? Both those servers that happened to be PvP, not PvE.

Well put. Most PvP servers died and the remaining ones ARE ghost towns. So is Outlaw's Den. So are PvP instances. Ilum PvP area only gets populated during the Gree event; and then it gets populated with stealthed ganker low-lifes parking for hours at a time with the sole intention of preventing people from completing their objectives. Gree reputation has to be maxed by the lowest number of players compared to all other reputation grinds.

To repreat: Instances didn't kill OWPVP. The PVP community killed OWPVP.

Considering how empty the PvP servers became and how relatively empty the PvP zones are, I would suggest that most SWTOR players are not interested in open world PvP.

I find it hilarious that you guys are simply pointing out "PvP servers dying first!!!11!!1!!1!" to fit your narrative. Let's break it down shall we?

So if all people want to do is PvE, why is it that The Fatman and Pot5--both PvP servers--were the one of the largest if not the largest servers during their prime?

If all people want to do is PvE, why do I remember so many PvE servers being closed down back then in 2012? Why is it that only The Harbinger (US), The Ebon Hawk (US) and The Red Eclipse (EU) exist as viable servers for mostly consistent activity? Why is it that only 3 servers that used to be solely PvE servers are consistently active and not more?

If I'm not mistaken, I remember BW created a lot more PvE servers than they did PvP servers back at launch and they all ended up dying just as quickly as the fewer PvP servers that were created alongside them. Give me a break.

Edited by Talon_strikes

Ok, I have to make another post because it seems like all the snowflakes are piling up on PvP'ers and saying how the "lowlife gankers" are the reason why PvP is dying. That reason is absolutely ludicrous and anyone who believes that nonsense needs to stop talking like they know the PvP community when they virtually never participate in PvP themselves in the first place.

:rolleyes:

False. Our anger should be directed to the studio for more mismanagement of PvP. Please stop talking about the PvP community like you know us--it's obvious you don't.

I made that point about instancing to make my argument. It HAS to do with this because back then there was a justification for PvP AND PvE servers. LOTS of PvE'ers still registered on PvP servers and were able to get "ganked"--and guess what? I can remember many times that this caused WPvP to erupt organically. My bet is that the player(s) I ganked would tell their faction and then their buddies coming in and trying to kill me until I gave up or their friend(s) got their PvE missions done.

In addition, I remember Eric Musco making a point about PvP/PvE instancing to encourage friends or something to do what other friends wanted to do. I don't remember exactly what he said, but it was what he said and the way he said it that made me come to the conclusion that PvP/PvE instancing was their alternative--plus tackling on 90cc discounted transfers (both PvP'ers AND PvE'ers)--for x-server and to have the vast majority end up on mainly as few servers as possible for consistent activity.

And if in your opinion PvP servers became nonviable because no one wanted to be on PvP servers, why is it that The Fatman (the go-to server for everyone abandoning their dead PvP AND PvE server in 2012) and Pot5 were one of the largest if not the largest servers in the game during their prime? Both those servers that happened to be PvP, not PvE.

I find it hilarious that you guys are simply pointing out "PvP servers dying first!!!11!!1!!1!" to fit your narrative. Let's break it down shall we?

So if all people want to do is PvE, why is it that The Fatman and Pot5--both PvP servers--were the one of the largest if not the largest servers during their prime?

If all people want to do is PvE, why do I remember so many PvE servers being closed down back then in 2012? Why is it that only The Harbinger (US), The Ebon Hawk (US) and The Red Eclipse (EU) exist as viable servers for mostly consistent activity? Why is it that only 3 servers that used to be solely PvE servers are consistently active and not more?

If I'm not mistaken, I remember BW created a lot more PvE servers than they did PvP servers back at launch and they all ended up dying just as quickly as the fewer PvP servers that were created alongside them. Give me a break.

PVP does not necessarily mean WPVP, though. There is a huge difference between WPVP and instanced PVP.

I have no doubt that instanced PVP remains popular among some of the players. This would also explain why Fatman was heavily populated in its prime, ans why Harbinger is heavily populated now. Instanced PVP relies upon the LFG tool, which in turn relies upon having interested bodies queuing. I'd bet that even in its prime, most of the PVP activity on Fatman was instanced PVP, not WPVP.

It is the gankfest that is WPVP that seems to have very few interested players and which most players seem to be avoiding like the proverbial plague, even many of the players who enjoy and actively engage in instanced PVP. IMO, that is NOT a BW problem, nor something caused by BW "PVP mismanagement".

Edited by Ratajack

Well... every server is low population since January 2017, except maybe Harbinger. That's why I wish we would have server merges, but I digress.

Ebon Hawk hits standard virtually every day. Harbinger has more of a 24 hour crowd with the APAC players being largely located there, but still... your statement is inaccurate and misleading.

Edited by Andryah

PVP does not necessarily mean WPVP, though. There is a huge difference between WPVP and instanced PVP.

I have no doubt that instanced PVP remains popular among some of the players. This would also explain why Fatman was heavily populated in its prime, ans why Harbinger is heavily populated now. Instanced PVP relies upon the LFG tool, which in turn relies upon having interested bodies queuing. I'd bet that even in its prime, most of the PVP activity on Fatman was instanced PVP, not WPVP.

It is the gankfest that is WPVP that seems to have very few interested players and which most players seem to be avoiding like the proverbial plague, even many of the players who enjoy and actively engage in instanced PVP. IMO, that is NOT a BW problem, nor something caused by BW "PVP mismanagement".

Accurate assessment, in my view.

The one positive about instanced PvP is that it does a fairly good job of encouraging level appropriate PvP on essentially even terms (except for skill and teamwork, which rests totally with the players). OWPvP on the other hand is without rule or standard.. and is the favorite haven of what we traditionally know as "gankers" in MMOs.

Edited by Andryah

Google "Ilum 1.2" to see why Open World PvP will never, ever, work in this game again.

Remember Fray!!!

OWPvP could work in this game, but it would require a smoother approach to how it is implemented so that it is not chipping up against any constraints in the engine. Completely doable, but would require a lot of rework, and since this has never been a PvP centric game, I do not see it happening. Better to just put resources into more variety and innovation in instanced PvP since that seems to be what the majority of PvPers want these days.

OWPvP could work in this game, but it would require a smoother approach to how it is implemented so that it is not chipping up against any constraints in the engine. Completely doable, but would require a lot of rework, and since this has never been a PvP centric game, I do not see it happening. Better to just put resources into more variety and innovation in instanced PvP since that seems to be what the majority of PvPers want these days.

This is probably the truth of it...OWPVP in this game is more of a fringe activity really...Although the IP suggests there should have been a continual focus on OWPVP from the very start...Bioware blitzed several decisions that made it difficult if not impossible for the most part.

Since they have never been able to manage OWPVP in the past its probably a smart bet for them to focus any PvP efforts on what they have managed to pull off prior (Instanced PvP WZs).

It's disappointing for this IP but falls in the "Is what it is" category...

It's one of those things that I really enjoy when it happens but has never worked via the methods the devs try to use to "encourage" it. Hence some of our suggestions in this and the other thread for how to incentivize it so people would try it.

As someone that spends 100% of the time in PvP instances I have a pretty good idea for how often it happens - it's indeed quite rare. Almost always in heroic areas where other people are running them. It's happened three times this month for me, which is above average. So in that sense, Iokath is set up as good as anywhere else (as opposed to, say, Outlaw's Den, where there is literally nothing to do.) It feels like all it would really take to get more people in the PvP instances is provide a relatively small CXP incentive for them to do so, which is why I suggested that - my theory being if they are grinding heroics, they are doing it for CXP, and they should get a reward to balance the extra risk.

But in the end, the PvP community was boggling about the OWPvP part of the livestream as much as anyone else. And still are :)

why exactly did 4.0 kill your guild vs guild stuff? does something prohibit more than 1 guild to be in the pvp at a time?

if this was so much fun for all, why arent you still doing it? did your mother have to tie a porkchop around your neck to get the dog to play with you?

the idea that you cant pvp if you are in a separate pvp instance from the pvers is baffling. do you need an audience?

Not sure why you need to use a condescending tone, but I will respond anyway. Guild v Guild & Squad v Squad pvp happened organically, pre 4.0. One or 2 people would be out doing dailies in the pvp area, then would get jumped by a few stealth gankers. Those folks would form their own group and counter. More would join each side. Rumor would get out. Other squads and guilds would get involved. Snowball effect. It didn't happen all day every day, but it did happen.

With a PvE-only instance, those same people that were doing dailies are no longer under threat IN A PVP AREA on Ilum. Therefore, they take the shortest route to finishing their dailies (isn't it logical to take the shortest, easiest path?).

PvP is what the area was designed for. If anything, the central pvp area should not be accessible in a PvE instance.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Not sure why you need to use a condescending tone, but I will respond anyway. Guild v Guild & Squad v Squad pvp happened organically, pre 4.0. One or 2 people would be out doing dailies in the pvp area, then would get jumped by a few stealth gankers. Those folks would form their own group and counter. More would join each side. Rumor would get out. Other squads and guilds would get involved. Snowball effect. It didn't happen all day every day, but it did happen.

With a PvE-only instance, those same people that were doing dailies are no longer under threat IN A PVP AREA on Ilum. Therefore, they take the shortest route to finishing their dailies (isn't it logical to take the shortest, easiest path?).

PvP is what the area was designed for. If anything, the central pvp area should not be accessible in a PvE instance.

First, don't you mean that those players are no longer susceptible to being ganked when they are either unsuspecting, fighting mobs, or otherwise engaged?

Second, if it is a PVE instance, there is no "PVP area", right?

And on PVP servers, everywhere is a "PVP area", correct?