Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Where is this Story Going?

Foambreaker

I realize they are not going to tells us; but I am really concerned.

We are so far off the standard Star Wars story how do we ever get back to something that makes sense?

I mean the empire is over, we betrayed our emperor and now we are going to join up with the Republic?

This reminds me of when they killed off the Lich King in WOW; I was like ok, undead story over.

These "add on enemies" like the last 3 xpacs just don't have any core meaning.

When one side wins, the story is over.

Honestly, I think you are about to witness one of the worst, forced stories possible.

We somehow lose the entire alliance we built turning 25 chapters of story to garbage.

Some kind of warped get back to empire vs republic again using the return of Darth Malgus.

You'll scratch your head and just go, whatever at that point.

Edited by Quraswren

Honestly, I think you are about to witness one of the worst, forced stories possible.

We somehow lose the entire alliance we built turning 25 chapters of story to garbage.

Some kind of warped get back to empire vs republic again using the return of Darth Malgus.

You'll scratch you head and just go, whatever at that point.

All I hope for is that it signals the end of this abysmal Valkorion soap so that we can go back to a more meaningful conflict. Having to rise above good and evil just to face yet another evil just wasn't believable and that's the short version of my complaint.

They can take the whole Alliance from me in one fell swoop. I guess that won't happen since Zakuul is probably not going anywhere and I heard rumours about a Zakuul Stronghold....Incidentally I would love a new Stronghold but if they're not going to address the decoration issues that may be a short-lived excitement as well.

If you don't have time to prepare things properly you could argue for a "go live first and get better after" approach, but that only works if you actually do get better after.

You'll scratch you head and just go, whatever at that point.

Bioware is known for their epic storytelling...how can you have so little faith in them? These are the same people who brought back Revan 300 years AFTER he should have died...they've brought Kephass back THREE times as an Operations boss...they have successfully combined EIGHT individual stories into ONE story that fits all eight classes equally...if they can do those things with such success, how can you possibly doubt them on this?

Bioware is known for their epic storytelling...how can you have so little faith in them? These are the same people who brought back Revan 300 years AFTER he should have died...they've brought Kephass back THREE times as an Operations boss...they have successfully combined EIGHT individual stories into ONE story that fits all eight classes equally...if they can do those things with such success, how can you possibly doubt them on this?

*mops up the dripping sarcasm* :rak_03:

The Republic, the Empire and the Eternal Empire of Zakuul and the entire galaxy are sucked into a huge black hole, while the screams of millions ( well hundreds) of players call out at once and are suddenly silenced. - Game's circling the drain as it is, so the irony is...um.... Ironic, don'tcha think?

Am-I-right?

:)

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Clearly there needs to be some sort of Star Trek incident with a black hole at this point. Lets be honest, what on earth were they smoking when they came up wit hthe whole valkorian thing?! I remember how I was super excited to see where it was going after Ziost, and then we got.....that.....and now that we pushed through the nonsense they want to pretty much erase everything we painstakingly went through?! Its just... I dont know.:confused:

Let me first say that I have enjoyed the story so far. It's not the most amazing story ever, but it was entertaining and I felt that it was worth the price of my subscription.

However, it didn't feel like a Star Wars story.

Star Wars isn't just about the technology and factions, that's not the heart of it. Sure, there were Jedi and Sith and lightsabers and the Force, but those are just cosmetic aspects of the genre. I wish the writers would watch all the episodes of the animated Star Wars series, Clone Wars and Rebels, and take copious notes. Not notes on new mounts and weapons to create, but notes on the morality, themes, and emotional context of each story.

It also seemed to be lacking variety. Here comes the big betrayal, now fight your way through increasingly bigger foes until you defeat the main betrayer. Now there's a new faction that hates all other factions. Kill them, too. Far too much comes down to killing, or in rare cases, simplistic and largely undeserved redemption.

Edited by Xina_LA

Where ever it is going they will need to insert the remaining missing companions into it and there's still quite a few MIA.

Well, they can bring back two for the price of one with the direction Iokath is going - split up Imperial and Republic or Sith and Jedi companions and then force you to pick one of them (choices matter!). Good for everyone except those of us who were hoping to actually recruit them all like we were able to in KOTFE....

Clearly there needs to be some sort of Star Trek incident with a black hole at this point. Lets be honest, what on earth were they smoking when they came up wit hthe whole valkorian thing?! I remember how I was super excited to see where it was going after Ziost, and then we got.....that.....and now that we pushed through the nonsense they want to pretty much erase everything we painstakingly went through?! Its just... I dont know.:confused:

Yeah, I used to warn people about "so cool" story. And now that Bioware burned itself, they'll try to retcon it. Typical. I mean, Zakuul story is ok in its essence, but the realisation(especially KoTFE) fell so far off the mark it's not funny.

What are they going to do? Probably resurrect someone. And put him / her as a main threat. Kinda like Revan in SoR(good thing Kreia's out of their reach). That's what they always do: hodge podge when in doubt. Perfect example? Oh, there are so many of them...it's just that one in particular came to me: SI story on Taris mentions the Sith Holocron of an ancient Sith...and whose Holo is it? Darth Angral's(JK story)! Yeah, ok...

Honestly, at this point, someone should yank the license from them. They got lost both story wise and gameplay wise.

Alright, class.

Can anyone in the room tell me, in one concise sentence, what the point of every story update, beginning with Forged Alliances, all the way through to Knights of the Eternal Throne was?

So that they can keep the Cartel Market open.

Edited by Edyn

Alright, class.

Can anyone in the room tell me, in one concise sentence, what the point of every story update, beginning with Forged Alliances, all the way through to Knights of the Eternal Throne was?

To keep their current "writers" on the payroll so they won't have to pay a team of real writers what they're actually worth.

E:

Possible alternate:

They ran out of both talent and ideas.

Edited by midianlord

You'll scratch your head and just go, whatever at that point.

There comes a point where, if you railroad everything you write into a specific plot, that you write yourself into a hole so deep that "nuke everything and start all over again" is the only realistic option.

I really don't see how any halfway-competent writers couldn't still finesse a "new cold war" scenario out of even this piece of hackneyed, Swiss-cheesed second-rate fanfic tripe (No, seriously: Whoever wrote this should have stuck to 'shipping Arcann and their self-insert Mary Sue in whatever obscure corner of the Internet they call home), but actual talent costs money.

I never liked the whole Zakuul faction from the start.It's so NOT Star Wars.

Some of the characters are totally unlikable cough cough Koth ,you actually want to kill them yourself.

The whole brat Empress thing is so utterly meh.I subbed for a month after being away a long time and I'm actually enjoying the game DESPITE it's many flaws (comms worthless,having to gear grind all over again,utter drivel story).

I think the Scions of Zakuul would have made a good side story arc, or:

Some ancient threat on Nathema

Those Driods that Scorpio freed

Rebellion on Zakuul (resistance)

I'm just not feeling the whole join up with the same ole republic and empire crap. Why did they make us leader of an empire? The republic and empire or not threats to the alliance.

“When Alexander [The Great] saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Having defeated a god ( or the devil himself) and being emperor ( or empress) of Republic, Empire and Zakuul, nothing is going to top that....

The one-story-fits all was probably necessary, considering the budget restraints at the time, but to beat he ultimate big-bad in the galaxy was a stupid mistake. - One would have been better off using the alliance to defeat, subjugate or recruit some of the other factions in the Galaxy. The Madalorians, the Hutts the sisters of Dathomir, the Exchange, the Black Sun, the cartel....and on and on.... that way you can come up with a new villain every update, and will never really run out of them.... You can tailor an operation around each if you wanted, you can add a new planet, WZ and GSF map around each, daily areas, OW PVP areas, add in new and old contacts and villains and keep the whole juggernaut going indefinitely.

Painting yourself into a corner is never clever. - But that's what you get when you get office juniors to come up with storylines. - TBH there's way better amateur fanfic out there. Instead of making multi-million dollar trailers, maybe hire a couple of professional writers next time....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.