Get rid of bolster once for all

Deewe

I never said I wasn't trying. I do try and I'm pretty darn good at it. Generally in the top 2 or 3 in DPS. That doesn't mean I enjoy it. I only do it because it gets me to the end I want. I'd rather have a novicain-less root canal than PvP.

Well at least you try, its more than I can say of others.

<<clicky>>

I don't get why people, Bioware Designers and players alike, want bolster at all for PvP.

I mean we all know the most important part in M.M.O. is upgrading a character and feeling now that powerful.

• So how can you feel rewarded with gear giving you only a slight increment for your character?
  • How can you feel rewarded if you can't slaughter totally ungeared characters?

If someone puts a lot of effort into a character, he needs to feel rewarded and powerful.

He deserves the right to gank others players.

That's how you keep players hooked. The carrot being better gear and so being more powerful.

So please allow me to ask this question:

• Why most major successful PvP games are based on skill and not gear?

If I may continue:

• Why Blizzard is launching a World Wide professional eSport league for OverWatch based on skill, not gear?

I must not get is so I guess we should just get rid of Bolster once for all and certainly not use bolster to set all players on the same level, so skill and players coordination is of the essence. Because I guess players do PvP to keep being abused until they can do the same to others.

So the nolifers reign supreme. Got it. Heaven forbid I have a job, go to school, or do anything else.

Yes, please let the people who nolife this game curb stomp casuals because they have better gear. Thats seems more fair than giving everyone a base stat, no matter their gear, so gear doesn't matter.

Gear matters more than what you think. It really shows in level 70.

Edited by cool-dude

Gear matters more than what you think. It really shows in level 70.

Most gear problems in PvP are tanks with lots of defense/shield, DPS with accuracy, people without augments or sets, and un-optimized stats. The difference between optimized bolstered gear and 242 isn't nearly as impactful.

Most gear problems in PvP are tanks with lots of defense/shield, DPS with accuracy, people without augments or sets, and un-optimized stats. The difference between optimized bolstered gear and 242 isn't nearly as impactful.

Your right, to do it correctly my Guardian would need to carry/have four sets of armor. Something at this point I am just starting to build toward. I do wonder does a defense heavy tank mess with a no accuracy dps? Would be nice to think he does.

You do know the simplest and easiest solution for the Devs to implimet is to Bolster all gear to a higher lvl than the max gear lvl.
This is exactly how I think it should work. Currently, the Bolster should be to 238, allowing 240/242 to be slightly better. With 5.0 it should move to the next highest bracket, but still be below the BEST possible gear.

Wow that's about the most selfish attitude I've heard on this topic. Why even bother pvping if you hate it so much. I'm sure your team mates love your winning spirit when you're on the team.

If this is an attempted troll, you need to go back to troll school. But if it's not. Please don't queue for pvp.

Some people hate pvp but with them making some things where you have to pvp (companions for one) you will find more people pvp that hate it. I did it for the companion and for the achievement I needed for the dark/light event as it was required to get the companion from the event. I don't normally do it other than when it is necessary.

This is exactly how I think it should work. Currently, the Bolster should be to 238, allowing 240/242 to be slightly better. With 5.0 it should move to the next highest bracket, but still be below the BEST possible gear.

It's clear the Devs want gear progression to matter in PvP. Maybe that's why they don't wanna go with the one-tier bolster difference.

If your gear is optimized, has a full set and a top-tier crafted hilt/barrel, then it's enough to be within a few percentage points of PvP BiS. I personally don't think a few percentage points away from BiS make that much of a difference, and you can reach that point on a character within a few weeks of casual PvP (one daily a day).

Edited by Eli_Porter

Troll thread. Please don't feed the troll.

This, so much this.

Troll trollers. Please don't feed the troll trolls.

<<clicky>>

I don't get why people, Bioware Designers and players alike, want bolster at all for PvP.

I mean we all know the most important part in M.M.O. is upgrading a character and feeling now that powerful.

• So how can you feel rewarded with gear giving you only a slight increment for your character?
  • How can you feel rewarded if you can't slaughter totally ungeared characters?

If someone puts a lot of effort into a character, he needs to feel rewarded and powerful.

He deserves the right to gank others players.

That's how you keep players hooked. The carrot being better gear and so being more powerful.

So please allow me to ask this question:

• Why most major successful PvP games are based on skill and not gear?

If I may continue:

• Why Blizzard is launching a World Wide professional eSport league for OverWatch based on skill, not gear?

I must not get is so I guess we should just get rid of Bolster once for all and certainly not use bolster to set all players on the same level, so skill and players coordination is of the essence. Because I guess players do PvP to keep being abused until they can do the same to others.

I have issues with bolster too, but in this case, SWTOR isn't a pvp-only game, and BWA actively encourages casuals and pve'ers to pvp. Otherwise, our queues would be empty.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

I see where you are going but NO.

PvP should always be about skill, coordination and... circumstances (luck).

It does not mean you could not be able to tweak your character with say higher crit or accuracy.

But everyone should have access to the same gear at once.

It won't make PvP less appealing. On the contrary.

Bolster should be higher. While it won't make a unskilled or inexperienced player awesome, it will keep them from being stomped so bad that they don't queue (longer pop times) or just queue and don't try (waste everyone's time.)

That is exactly correct and I have even sent Eric a PM with detail on why this needs to be done and the best way to Impliment it while making CXP still relevant.

Some people hate pvp but with them making some things where you have to pvp (companions for one) you will find more people pvp that hate it. I did it for the companion and for the achievement I needed for the dark/light event as it was required to get the companion from the event. I don't normally do it other than when it is necessary.

Yes they shouldn't make it a perquisite, I understand the principle idea of encouraging people to try pvp, but each time they try, it just back fires for both pvp people and pve people because they don't think through till the conclusion of the idea and don't impliment it in a way that it is more a choice than being forced.

There is no need to Bolster to just below the current highest because that doesn't work properly, I've tested it already. If they actually make Bolster 250 again, all lvl gear bolsters up higher than it's current stats. But because some gear is higher, there is still a difference from the lower gear to the higher. There is still a gap, but it is much small and would be exactly the way it was in 4:0. That still encourages people to grind for some sort of advantage, but the playing field is more even because the gaps are smaller.

Your right, to do it correctly my Guardian would need to carry/have four sets of armor. Something at this point I am just starting to build toward. I do wonder does a defense heavy tank mess with a no accuracy dps? Would be nice to think he does.

It's like removing PvP and PvE gear only made it worse to actual gear properly for either. Who would have thunk that. Oh wait..::rolleyes:

You don't understand Bolster. That is the problem

If people can easily aquire the gear then everyone is on an equal playing field. Then it is about skill and perhaps min/maxing your class. Ive seen with bolster where there's more focus on what gear bolsters better than the actual bis gear for the character.

I fully support bolster at lower levels.

edit... example. I hit 70 on a fresh char with ilvl 148-210. When I equiped a few pieces of 230 gear I actually lost stats.

Edited by Hamatula

I see where you are going but NO.

PvP should always be about skill, coordination and... circumstances (luck).

It does not mean you could not be able to tweak your character with say higher crit or accuracy.

But everyone should have access to the same gear at once.

It won't make PvP less appealing. On the contrary.

I'm 100% ok with that...but I was trying to come up with a better compromise to appeal to all players.

I'm 100% ok with that...but I was trying to come up with a better compromise to appeal to all players.

Guessed as much though there is no such thing as compromise on the topic. At leas if you don't want half of a solution.

Consider PvP as most sports : you set rules to set everyone as much as possible on the same foot. Both to be fair but also for the spectators. Imagine a Football game in which some players can have shoes allowing to run faster or reinforced armors that absorb way more the impacts...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.