The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Galactic Command - Tier 4 and More

EricMusco

GC is not the only part of the game, but it's a pretty strong contender for the most important single part of it now, and given the amount of discussion it has generated, I would argue it is rather disingenuous of you to softball its impact, so please don't :)

IF.. IF it was the only pathway to gear.. I would agree with you. But it's not.

We were discussing this new addition to GC in our guild last night..... and for the most part were praising our leadership for having both the foresight as to the mess that GC would present, and the leadership to move the guild to completely bypass GC and instead embrace the crafting pathways available and to apply a group effort to ignore GC and gear for 5.x from crafted gear, and later from recipes and materials available to us to progress gear via crafting that is only marginally less then the best drops from crates. It's been a great success, particular with respect to supporting everyone's alts in the new gear progression. Everyone's mains are mostly in 240s now, and alts are in 230+ (which is all most alts actually need)

As a guild, we also chuckled at the early addition of tier 4 gear, and later in 5.x teir 5 gear as we could find no real need to chase after it. Sure.. we will gladly open crates when ever we get a new GC level just playing what we want to play... but we consider that "gravy rather then the steak".

In the end.. play smarter, not harder very much applies here. Now.. had they provided no other path for gear then GC for 5.x.... our guild may well have discussed and decided to move on to some other MMO..... because GC looked that bad at face value when 5.0 launched.

Happily.. the studio did not make GC THE brick wall that some players insist it is. As a guild we looked at the challenge, and picked a path to overcome it that was right for us, and it turned out to actually be faster to gear up then 4.x was for us as a guild. A lot of players apparently do not realize or have not investigated how easy the studio made the crafting approach to gear in 5.x.... from companion improvements, to materials gathering via missions, to recipe drops inside content, to the actual crafting.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys really need to stop being so negative about it. The RNG of GC is in no way worse than what it used to be with the drop on Ops bosses in my opinion.

And I doubt they will remove it. So either play or don't. Just know, that if people keep leaving the game, the game will seize to be online, and then it's goodbye to the last ongoing source we had to the Expanded Universe lore. So in advance, a sarcastic thanks for that. Because they won't make anything new from the old lore because of Disney.

If you keep complaining about what something like the Galactic Commad system, which sounds like it ruins the entire game experience to you, then what the f... are you still doing here, as you can't play past level 70 without having to deal with it now. Either enjoy and let the devs do their hob, which quite frankly isn't as easy as you seem to think it is, or leave the game. You won't be missed, because there are actually players who do enjoy this game.

You don't understand math, do you? You don't know what RNG means, do you?

Drops from ops bosses were never RNG before 5.0. You got X loot for Y boss when you killed it, every time, period. NOW the ops drops are RNG (save for the final boss). And all drops from the Disintegration Crates are PURE RNG.

Also, if not for all the people being 'negative' about the trash fire that is Galactic Command when it dropped and speaking both with text and with our wallets, we would not currently have things like unassembled components from PvP to buy gear, or any gear drops from operations at all anymore. So you're welcome for that.

Finally, I just love you white knights telling other players whose subscriptions are currently keeping the game alive "If you don't like it, just leave!" and "You won't be missed!" Why? Because I am ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY 100% SURE that when the day comes that this game's closure is announced, most of you (if not all) will turn around and start whining about all those cruel and heartless former players who didn't give this game a chance and quit instead of continuing to finance TOR so it could get better! You will blame all the complainers you told to leave... for leaving. You will definitely miss us then. You will say it's all our fault that the game died, oblivious to your hypocrisy and your irrationality.

Edited by AscendingSky

IF.. IF it was the only pathway to gear.. I would agree with you. But it's not.

You were *sort of* right in that post and the route you describe is certainly what I have done. But it's also immaterial.

We are discussing the relative merits of the game's primary gearing system. The fact that there are other hoops you can jump through has no bearing on the positive or negative aspects of that system. In extremis it's like saying being a professional gambler isn't a bad career choice because there are always food stamps to fall back on if you have bad luck.

Edited by stoopicus

You don't understand math, do you? You don't know what RNG means, do you?

RNG, per se, is not bad.. and is everywhere in MMOs and always has been, including much of the industries end game gearing methods to one degree or another.

What IS BAD with the current state of GC is:

1) poor loot table itemization and %-chance

2) no clear method to mitigate the compound effects of poor loot tables + RNG (adding a second token grind is NOT the right answer)

3) no method to enable players to easily trade a duplicate drop for something of same tier, but different slot.

These are easily fixable, and I'm right there with everyone else on objecting to their poor pace of remedy, and more importantly... ignoring 1, 2, and 3 above. No excuse for it.

Fixating on RNG does not properly characterize the flaws in GC, and actually clouds the issues and creates the "remove RNG" meme (which clearly won't happen) and thus drives some players off the deep end. Removing RNG is not needed, but remedies to the poor use of loot tables in conjunction with RNG, as well as no safeguards for players on the inevitable bad results of RNG on any random roll are needed.

Edited by Andryah

Oh, BS. They don't need to revamp or remove the entire thing to fix it. Adjusting drop rates and reward tables has been a common part of MMO development for literally decades. The UC system is functionally equivalent to the old comms and crystals system, albeit with overly complicated vendors. They could improve things greatly overnight by changing values in a database.

They are making these changes, with every trivial patch. Such 'simple' changes still don't happen "overnight", though. They still have to devise a target, aim for it, and make sure they're hitting that target. It's not as simple as "changing values in a database" and restarting the servers and calling it a day.

Could it go faster? Sure, they could fire off a trivial patch once a week, only changing the drop rates until they see what sticks. But the system is not game-breakingly bad - it's still playable, and people are still getting gear. So, they stick to their regular monthly-or-so patch schedule, and apply their tweaks with existing trivial patches.

You were *sort of* right in that post and the route you describe is certainly what I have done. But it's also immaterial.

We are discussing the relative merits of the game's primary gearing system. The fact that there are other hoops you can jump through has no bearing on the positive or negative aspects of that system. In extremis it's like saying being a professional gambler isn't a bad career choice because there are always food stamps to fall back on if you have bad luck.

More accurately: "perceived" primary gearing system.

I would argue that on an objective assessment... crafting is actually the effective primary gearing system for 5.x.. at least up to now. It is not the KoolAid answer from the studio to go grind GC for crate drops. As a pragmatist.. right or wrong, and regardless of studio reasons..... I simply do not accept GC as the primary gearing system in 5.x at this point in time.. nor do many other players. GC could be.. IF.. they actually put in common sense remdies players have suggested to make it work as intended, and with safeguards against the poor results in the current implementation.

Like any challenge in an MMO.. smart players seek and follow the path of least resistance. If the studio offers no other path... with less resistance then the "declared path"... that is the studios fault.

If players refuse to even explore for alternatives to what they face as a frustration, and then follow those alternate paths.. that is the players fault.

MMOs give players a variety of content, methods, and itemizations for their journey in game.. and most often do so in a manner that lets different players follow different paths... the best path for them. That is the actual test I apply to changes to an MMO. I generally do not just drink the KoolAid the studio thinks I should drink, nor am I alone in this approach to what studios provide players.

Edited by Andryah

I generally do not just drink the KoolAid the studio thinks I should drink, nor am I alone in this approach to what studios provide players.

I'm not accusing you of that, incidentally. The reason I am taking the time to respond to you is I think it's worth my time to do so :)

More accurately: "perceived" primary gearing system. I would argue that on an objective assessment... crafting is actually the effective primary gearing system for 5.x.. at least up to now. It is not the KoolAid answer from the studio to go grind GC for crate drops

Like any challenge in an MMO.. smart players seek and follow the path of least resistance. If the studio offers no other path... with less resistance then the "declared path"... that is the studios fault.

If players refuse to even explore for alternatives to what they face as a frustration, and then follow those alternate paths.. that is the players fault.

MMOs give players a variety of content, methods, and itemizations for their journey in game.. and most often do so in a manner that lets different players follow different paths... the best path for them. That is the actual test I apply to changes to an MMO. I generally do not just drink the KoolAid the studio thinks I should drink, nor am I alone in this approach to what studios provide players.

Crafting cannot provide set bonus pieces. Therefore, it cannot be considered the primary gearing system, only a secondary one.

The increase to Galactic Command bringing in a new tier of gear, with minimal new content, which would be laughable if this was a level increase with a new tier of gear based off one world boss, one chapter and one new daily area.

Some people are of the view that Galactic Command isn't a problem cause you would do what you would do normally and get a crate. You can even use crafting to get worse gear or grind ops and pvp. But at this stage the only repeatable content for the last two years is galactic command. Despite the story now being re-playable its one size fits all approach on all your alts limits that option with no reward outside of CXP, while uprisings offer nothing other than CXP after the first run through. So its hard to see if you ignore Galactic Command what the draw is to play.

At this point the increase suggests that there will be no new level increases as future gear is all tied to galactic command. Worse though the speed at which it has been brought in despite widespread dislike for it would hint towards a move to bring in as many command ranks before going into maintenance mode as they can. Otherwise it seems a little bit rushed even at a rank an hour, that is 300 hours of grinding x number of characters you want to play. I doubt there are many people that will have hit 300 by 5.2 and even few that will get to enjoy BIS gear before the next tier is brought in.

Can we look forward to another 100 in 5.3 in 4 months time?

Crafting cannot provide set bonus pieces. Therefore, it cannot be considered the primary gearing system, only a secondary one.

Ah.. sounds like you are locked in to rigid perfectionism over pragmatic play.

If set bonus is make or break for you.. you are doomed. Many of the set bonus are lackluster and simply not worth the investment to gain them. Even those that are fairly decent... still not worth the investment in time to be honest. Sure.. you take them when you get them if they improve your gear profile.. but they are not magic "I win" gear that is needed in order to play the game effectively.

Ah.. sounds like you are locked in to rigid perfectionism over pragmatic play.

If set bonus is make or break for you.. you are doomed. Many of the set bonus are lackluster and simply not worth the investment to gain them. Even those that are fairly decent... still not worth the investment in time to be honest. Sure.. you take them when you get them if they improve your gear profile.. but they are not magic "I win" gear that is needed in order to play the game effectively.

I am not saying they are magic "I win" buttons, but for some classes they can make a big difference even if they're lackluster for others. So long as crafting cannot provide all gear options (including set bonus pieces), it cannot be considered the primary gearing system. That's basic logic.

I'm not saying there's anything 'wrong' or 'bad' without crafting. I have all crafts maxed myself. I'm just saying it's not the primary gearing system. EAWare designed this whole setup for Galactic Command to be the primary gearing system. While they've added other secondary methods of gaining set gear since then (unassembled components and rare drops from ops), it's still obviously their intended centerpiece of the TOR experience.

Edited by AscendingSky

I'm not accusing you of that, incidentally. The reason I am taking the time to respond to you is I think it's worth my time to do so :)

I understand. Some of my comments are not specific response to you, but intended to inform other players as well... since it is a discussion between players.

Personally, I am enjoying this line of discussion between you and I here.. because we are both willing to listen to each other, offer contrasting viewpoints, may agree to disagree, and in the end... we are furthering some productive discussion that might benefit other readers....rather then just riding the "rage wave" that some are presenting. :)

If you keep complaining about what something like the Galactic Commad system, which sounds like it ruins the entire game experience to you, then what the f... are you still doing here, as you can't play past level 70 without having to deal with it now. Either enjoy and let the devs do their hob, which quite frankly isn't as easy as you seem to think it is, or leave the game. You won't be missed, because there are actually players who do enjoy this game.

You do know that I can like the game and still feel negative about the recent changes, right? If it comes to the point where I don't like it anymore then yes I'll silently leave. But as long as I still do, I'm staying, and I'm complaining, thanks. Besides, posting on a forum where there's a representative specifically paid to interact with players is interfering with the developers' jobs how exactly?

You need to realize that people that complain and criticize are people who feel invested and who want to stay or, if they've stopped playing, want to come back. Otherwise they wouldn't be here at all.

I'm sorry, but this shut up or get the f off attitude is childish at best.

I am not saying they are magic "I win" buttons, but for some classes they can make a big difference even if they're lackluster for others. So long as crafting cannot provide all gear options (including set bonus pieces), it cannot be considered the primary gearing system. That's basic logic.

It appears we define "primary gearing system" differently. For you.. it appears to be.. what gives you BiS. For me, it is what gets me up the curve to be ready to play end game effectively in the current expac the fastest and with the most certainty.

They (set bonus), at best, may turn the tide on a razor edge. That does have value... but like all things.... is the value worth the investment.... investment either in effort in game, or investment in negative emotions? This is of course more important for a solo player, or random Pug player then a regular group... because good groups are not critically dependent on gear for razor edge events.. and occasional failure and retry for a guild is not some tragedy just because RNG worked against you in a specific encounter at a specific time.

I am a pragmatist.. I play a game for fun, social interaction with friends and guild mates, and to enjoy the content. Gear is an asset to play, but more so are my friends and guild mates. And in this MMO, Bis is nice to have, and may save a wipe in some cases, but it's NOT actually required to play and enjoy this game.. unless you are a min/max perfectionist. Besides, it's not like we cannot use set bonus pieces already earned from 4.x for specific encounters if we feel that gives us an edge up on someone or something.. until some point later when we do get a more current set bonus piece.

You have staked your ground as an idealist requiring the best gear, with set bonus. And that is fine, we can agree to disagree on that.. being of different mind sets. In some MMOs that is actually an important thing to have set bonus and BiS everything all the time ..... but I would argue that for this MMO.. while nice to have.. not actually that important.

And to note again: because some players simply do not read everything (not you... I'm talking about other players who will read this later) ----> I think GC is abysmal in it's current implementation, and even planned changes announced do not fix it. At the same time.. I understand (as do others) that we have alternatives to progress effectively in gearing in 5.x without having to wait for the perfect drop from a crate.

And by the way.. for all PvPers ... I am an advocate for making gear a non factor in PvP. It's bad design for a segment of the game where players want to play other players to the death.. either solo or in group. I favor an ability progression system (like realm ranks and resulting skill perks in DAoC, which transcend gearing and new expacs) to reward long term PvP play, rather then making gear a reward or a gate to PvP.

Edited by Andryah

They (set bonus), at best, may turn the tide on a razor edge.
The set bonus for mando/merc not only provides a guaranteed crit, but also a reduction in cooldown for the reactive shield, which is VITAL! It's saved my butt more times than I can count, and by saving my butt, I've prevented caps and plants that would 100% have changed the outcome of the match.

My set bonus doesn't make a difference in every WZ, but it's at least 25-50% of them that it prolongs my life enough that I am able to make a huge difference. It doesn't turn ridiculous wins into losses, but I play Pub...we seldom have ridiculous wins.

To pretend it's insignificant is simply ignorant.

Generally speaking.. when presenting a company (any company) with a list of grievances and suggestions for how to fix it......... objective, accurate, non-passionate, non-pejorative feedback works best. The same is true for one-to-one discussions between human beings.

Now.. if you don't give a rats behind if they fix what feels broken to you... and you just want to vent and pretend you are a victim... then by all means make it as negative and exaggerated as you need to discharge some of your emotions about the matter.

On the other hand.. if you actually want things fixed..... objective, accurate, non-passionate, non-pejorative feedback works best. Objectivity and accuracy disarms most resistance to a suggestion, as does removing passionate pejorative attacks from the discussion.

So.. which is it for you?

In general I ignore your posts as self aggrandizing pontification. And I was tempted to look at this in the same light, but once and hopefully only once I will repeat myself on the subject. They have ignored every single attempt to pass on objective accurate feedback regarding GC and RNG.

I think if my memory serves me even you stated increasing the cxp rate without fixing the rng factor was a bad idea. Still that is exactly what they did.

Your claim they would respond to any type of feedback hasn't be supported by their actions. Their actions show quiet the opposite.

Similar to how people got burned out opening crates of junk and eventually just stop. I feel we've given enough feedback and I am just burned out on trying to give them more to ignore. So I keep it short and sweet letting them know my dissatisfaction in their current direction.

Do you really think they don't know the issues players have with the system? Are you saying they are confused on to what about GC and RNG is frustrating the player base?

Your claim they would respond to any type of feedback hasn't be supported by their actions. Their actions show quiet the opposite.

Except I never said that.

Communications between humans does dictate that what you communicate, and how, IS important. You disagree.. so feel free to keep with the pejorative feedback if that makes you somehow feel better.

If you believe they must embrace all feedback and act on it... that is naïve. No MMO in the industry does that. Some are better then others for sure... but they all suck at this part to one degree or another.

If you believe they do not read feedback....they have clearly demonstrated over the years that you are wrong in this assumption in general. There are many things about this game today that is a direct outcome of feedback from players.

As to GC specifically... they are listening, and even responding.. but not in the manner that some of us (myself included) think they should... which is a different issue.

Edited by Andryah

Everything they adjust here and there, and tweak here and there doenst fix the main problem: GC Itself.

To say it loud and clear one more time: GC SUX.

Well, let's assume there would be no GC crates. Simple as that.

You would have to run operations to get your gear and NIM gear would be limited to NIM bosses.

All in all, pretty much the same old system.

Should the new drop rate bother you, let's assume every boss would drop blue gear variant instead, limiting the purple variants to end bosses of highlighted OPs. Should you be more a PvP player. let's assume BioWare would either reinstall the automatic sync to 242 or would remove the conversion into 242 gear (so only 2 tiers of gear and a downward sync).

Should you then mind the complexity to first convert PvP components into a token, no reason to stick to it as it's strictly superior to any previous version. And should you mind that players can craft 240 gear, let's limit or remove that as well (as it's quite a novelty as well).

Result: That's essentially the point why most players talk about specific inbalances. And in most cases, these issues are about the content of the crates, the rate at which you earn them and the reward dicrepancies among the various types of content.

________

BUT - and this is my personal impression - it seems that there are still two competeting tendencies that delay certain fixes. With the example above, GC crates and the related levels are nothing more than a nice, little extra. Nothing worth mentioning or worth advertising.

The alternative would still be to remove the operation loot & unassembled components once again and to adress the related issues in another way that keeps the system relevant.

That's however way more risky because there's a group of players who believe that MMO stands for "consistent premades of 8 players, using their own loot table to trade rewards, treating operations like flashpoints that are always won and used to gear up alts or new players within a single run or two".

In other words, this group simply ignores the fact that the /roll mechanism was by no means fair or 'fail-safe' if you had to join a random operation group. And they also ignore the fact that should they really focus on the 'progressive' nature of operations, they would try to defeat a boss they haven't before, would probably fail for quite some time and thereby ruin their drop ratio anyways.

And due to these two competeting sides, I believe BioWare won't make any significant changes. And should they change a thing, it will be for the gear yet to come.

_________

But let's assume that every operation boss will reward a player with enough CXP to get at least a level up. Completing the related weekly would also be worth at least another level up. Therefore, a typical 2.0~2.5 hour operation consisting of 5 bosses would result in 6 level ups = 6 crates.

Let's further assume they increase the usefulness of these crates by designating two 'slots' for gear pieces. One slot for all 9 moddable parts (MH, OH, head, chest, arm, hand, leg, belt & boots) and one slot for the 'left side' gear pieces and their countless variants (ear, implant, relic). Players would then have twice the chance per box to get an item and the chance to get a specific type wouldn't be less than 1 out of 9. (Which isn't much worse than the 1 out of 8 raid members rolling on the item).

This change would even make it possible to lower the number of levels per tier

And there are many ways to add a 'bad luck' safety; either by introducing special one-time quests that reward players with an item of their choice, by adding a 'joker' item; by allowing the player to disassemble items for components or by introducing crafting recipes of specific, yet untradeable gear pieces.

The latter would be my personal favorite because I'd love to see the crafting system renewed. IMO, players shouldn't be limited to 3 professions ber character. Instead, companions should have a specific profession allocated to them. Starting with KotFE, a player can have that many companions that it would be easy find at least 3x of them for each crafting profession. And you would still have an incentive to max them all.

Edited by realleaftea

It seems to me this thread responses are broken down into two types of player.

OPS player: "Not sure why you have a problem, the system is faster gearing than we had before..."

"Whats the big deal anyway, take your time, gear is not that important to have immediately..."

PvP player: "It used to take 2 weeks per char, now it takes 2 years per char, it is the end of the world..."

"Gear is everything, we need an even playing field and both factions have same gear for balance..."

Both player types are right. The new system may be great for OPSers, but very rough on PvPers who like to play multiple max geared classes. I just think it is funny seeing the 2 sets of responses from opposite sides of the coin battling it out here. Maybe we need the weekly PvP quest to award 1 current tier set piece of your choosing for completion. This seems fine because it is now 20 to finish, are you kidding me 20? On the pub side that is 19 wars.

Edited by Stellarcrusade

OPS player: "Not sure why you have a problem, the system is faster gearing than we had before..."

"Whats the big deal anyway, take your time, gear is not that important to have immediately..."

PvP player: "It used to take 2 weeks per char, now it takes 2 years per char, it is the end of the world..."

"Gear is everything, we need an even playing field and both factions have same gear for balance..."

Both player types are right. The new system may be great for OPSers, but very rough on PvPers who like to play multiple max geared classes. I just think it is funny seeing the 2 sets of responses from opposite sides of the coin battling it out here.

Speaking as a primarily PvE player (I stopped doing ground PvP when they nerfed bolster because I haven't had the time to grind to Tier 3 yet on any toon)... this system is SLOWER for gearing than 4.X, even 3.X. Much, muuuuuuch slower. Why? Because only the last boss has any guaranteed drops. I haven't tried NiM in 5.0 yet, but in all the of HM runs I've done since 5.0, only two dropped any loot off something other than the final boss. Two. Out of two dozen or so runs.

Do you know how disappointing it is to go through HM SnV (the longest op in the game, with 7 bosses) and get NOTHING for drops until the end boss? That's a LOT of time and challenge for very little reward. And if your group can't beat HM Styrak's DPS check? Well, sucks to be you, you get nothing for your two hours of play!

Edited by AscendingSky

Maybe go back and read some more... because this is inaccurate.

There is a third group.. which has realized the fastest way to end game effectiveness in 5.x is to leverage crafting heavily until such time as you get lucky from a crate drop.

OPs gearing is NOT faster in 5.x.

Which is precisely why I advocate for making gear a non-factor for PvP. Let PvPers play effectively and competitively based on actual skill with their class, without gear gates to be competitive.

They need some form of persistent (as in never obsolete) power progression for playing PvP (a reward for performance and progress).. but it should not be gear based. Make it similar in approach to how DAoC did it (realm ranks, which are kill based, and resulting realm points to spend on skill perks as you gain realm ranks).

Edited by Andryah

Endgame for Swtor is gearing.

Much as people can say, just play the game and have fun and use alternative methods of getting gear what are they proposing. Playing a 5 year old operation or maybe taking your premade and ganking a pug in PvP. The alternative is being the Pug and getting ganked or finding people that have never done the operations and spending an evening wiping.

I wish it were otherwise, I wish the end game experience was an advancement system granting points that allowed you to improve and not tied to random loot drops, I wish there was sufficient content to keep offering new things to do, hell I wish the combat and game engine were enjoyable so just standing on the fleet felt like being part of the star wars universe even if you did nothing but stand on tatooine watching the twin suns set while a Jawa argued with a customer over droid price.

Instead what we have is once you hit 70 you start the galactic command random lock box gear grind, and other than wanting the fastest car and the biggest house and a pony I'm not really sure what the appeal of that gear is. But if you take away getting the gear is the plan to log on and sit around waiting for nothing to happen. End game is Galactic command and come 5.2 that figure goes up to 400 (so possibly 400 hours of grinding if you missed the cxp bonus) and I am wondering are you going to need any of that gear to experience any future content or is it a game the devs are playing to see how high they can rise this arbitrary number before rolling out level 75 and basic gear better than anything obtained at level 70.