The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware Please Merge Servers

Totemdancer

I'm really sorry that I won't give up my 5 fully decorated stronghold, unique names that are occupied elsewhere, fully improved banks and few friends who still remained on my server (for the same reasons as me). Additionally, I do not have enough free CC to transferred ALL my characters.

Server merges will not magically keep your 5 fully decorated strongholds, preserve your unique names. Transferring even a single character will also transfer your legacy, which should also include your fully improved banks. If you used CC's to improve those banks, those extra tabs will be available on all servers anyway.

Is there a reason that ALL your characters must be moved at the same time? Is it not possible to move some at a time over how ever long it wold take to use only your subscriber stipends?

From what you said, it is clear to me that it's all my fault, because I did not recognize which server will be successful when I created my characters 5 years ago. It is not possible that this could be BW fault, because all the players on dead servers obviously having a great time while waiting several hours for endgame activities.

Choosing a server 5 years ago that has since become a lower population server is certainly not your fault, but CHOOSING to remain on that server, for whatever reason, is your choice. BW is not forcing you to remain on that server.

Moreover, there is nothing better than to hear similar arguments from a person who is obviously not on a dead server. I think that such people really have the greatest right to speak about this issue because they have the most experience with this problem. Indeed, we should listen to their views, since they have the greatest value.

Silly me...

I don't know on what server the person in question plays, but many have indicated that they play on servers that some consider "dead", yet they find those servers have healthy populations and have no problems with LFG queue times.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad it wasn't meant to be an attack 😊. I think it's the inclusion of all those !!!!! and the capitals to describe certain parts of the community that come across agressively and confrontational. You may not intend to include the whole of the community when you do that, but it does come across that way.

You did also say you had yet to see anyone try and properly define what a dead server was. So I tried to give you one. But your response to that still came across as negative 😢

It's fine to clarify if someone misread a post, but try not to pick apart posts to make your points because selectively choosing one part of it can change the meaning of the message the person was trying to convey. I don't think that's your intention or I hope it's not and you may not find it aggressive. But it comes across that way to me.

I often put my posts in preview mode and come back and reread after a few mins, especially if I really disagree with someone or it's offended me. If I didn't, the raw responses with out changing the language and syntax as I jot down points would come across as volatile and probably offensive.

I was not trying to come off negative, but I think simply using queue times to define lower population servers without also taking into account all the various factors that can influence those queue times could be considered a bit shortsighted.

Part of me wants to start another thread that is only about finding a positive solution to low population servers and not a massive fight between extreme views. But I wont, atleast not yet because there are already too many merge server threads that are trying to offer solutions, even if the thread title does start off on the wrong foot.

Unfortunately most of the threads aren't about trying to find a real solution. I think we can all agree all these threads are just one big battle ground of people yelling the same extreme views backwards and forwards.

Some of us are trying to act as diplomats and bring you all together. But it's like walking into a crowded room of people yelling at each and trying to get your voice heard without using a microphone, we may as well be yelling into the wind.

I want to find a solution. I've tried to put myself in everyone's shoes to try and understand their point of view. I even started with the view of unilaterally merging servers, but I've since changed that because I listened to what was being said on the other side of the conversation.

My objective now is to find the best and fairest compromise for everyone because I actually care about all my fellow players. But it seems like lots of you don't care or can't or won't put yourself in other people's shoes.

There are lots of views and lots of issues that make the perfect solution unobtainable for everyone. So we need to discuss how to over come those obstacles to find the best solution with what we've got to work with. There are going to need to be compromises so we should work out how to minimise those issues so that it is fair for everyone.

If there is an obstacle, work out a solution. If that still isn't perfect, work on it somemore till it comes to a point where that obstacle might need a compromise. We can work down the list of problems, issues and obstacles and slowly cross them off the list to come up with a rough idea. Then we can try and tweak it to make it better.

I think once we get to that point we will all be close to the middle of this issue instead of the far extremes. Only then can we see what is best for the whole game and not just us individually.

I was not trying to come off negative, but I think simply using queue times to define lower population servers without also taking into account all the various factors that can influence those queue times could be considered a bit shortsighted.

I never said it was perfect, I only tried to offer a definition in the simplest of terms without my usual essay.

You did ask for someone to try. Might I suggest you add to the definition and see if we can polish it up a bit.

I will add that I didn't actually mention queue times, I said people couldn't get a pop, which meant it never seems to happen or if it does it is extremely rare.

Edited by Icykill_

I never said it was perfect, I only tried to offer a definition in the simplest of terms without my usual essay.

You did ask for someone to try. Might I suggest you add to the definition and see if we can polish it up a bit.

I will add that I didn't actually mention queue times, I said people couldn't get a pop, which meant it never seems to happen or if it does it is extremely rare.

I said no one had objectively defined "dead" server.

Not to be antagonistic, but even your definition is subjective.

If the person in New Zealand playing during New Zealand prime time on Harbinger has trouble getting queue pops, but the person playing during west coast U.S. prime time gets quick queue pops, is the server "dead" or "low population"?

If the vast majority of a server's population is not queuing for PVP because they are all farming CXP or engaging in other activities and the PVE LFG queues are popping, is the server "dead" or "low population"?

If Johnny can't get a PVE or PVP queue to pop because he has found his way onto too many ignore lists, but Billy gets frequent pops, is the server "dead" or "low population"?

Does that mean that I think there are no servers which in my subjective opinion be considered "dead" or "extremely low population"? No. Like others, I think the remaining "PVP" servers have what I would consider to be extremely low populations, although I do think those would be the only ones. My subjective opinion may not be shared by those that choose to remain on those servers or those that play on other servers, though.

Do I have characters on some of those old "PVP"servers? Yes, and I do enjoy playing on those servers at times, specifically because they have such a low population.

That said, the problems surrounding server merges or even individual player transfers still exist for the players that choose to remain on those servers.

I am not sure exactly what the best solution is, or even if there truly is a "best" solution and not simply a "least offensive" solution.

I do not think that server merges are a good idea until and unless BW can ensure that guilds and guild assets will remain intact, that player strongholds will remain intact and decorated, items on legacy storage will not be lost, etc.

I also recognize that many of those same problems and concerns exist for individual players, but as it stands now, the individual players have the choice to determine which is more important to them--higher server population with the increased chance for faster queue times or keeping their decorated strongholds, guilds and guild assets, names, etc.

I said no one had objectively defined "dead" server.

Not to be antagonistic, but even your definition is subjective.

If the person in New Zealand playing during New Zealand prime time on Harbinger has trouble getting queue pops, but the person playing during west coast U.S. prime time gets quick queue pops, is the server "dead" or "low population"?

If the vast majority of a server's population is not queuing for PVP because they are all farming CXP or engaging in other activities and the PVE LFG queues are popping, is the server "dead" or "low population"?

If Johnny can't get a PVE or PVP queue to pop because he has found his way onto too many ignore lists, but Billy gets frequent pops, is the server "dead" or "low population"?

Does that mean that I think there are no servers which in my subjective opinion be considered "dead" or "extremely low population"? No. Like others, I think the remaining "PVP" servers have what I would consider to be extremely low populations, although I do think those would be the only ones. My subjective opinion may not be shared by those that choose to remain on those servers or those that play on other servers, though.

Do I have characters on some of those old "PVP"servers? Yes, and I do enjoy playing on those servers at times, specifically because they have such a low population.

That said, the problems surrounding server merges or even individual player transfers still exist for the players that choose to remain on those servers.

I am not sure exactly what the best solution is, or even if there truly is a "best" solution and not simply a "least offensive" solution.

I do not think that server merges are a good idea until and unless BW can ensure that guilds and guild assets will remain intact, that player strongholds will remain intact and decorated, items on legacy storage will not be lost, etc.

I also recognize that many of those same problems and concerns exist for individual players, but as it stands now, the individual players have the choice to determine which is more important to them--higher server population with the increased chance for faster queue times or keeping their decorated strongholds, guilds and guild assets, names, etc.

Why are you arguing again. I said it wasn't perfect. But you feel the need to list everything wrong with my simplistic definition.

I also asked you to add to the definition so we could polish up. But you can't even do that.

All you've done is repeat most of the things you've said over and over in this thread about why mergers aren't a good idea. Which had nothing to do with my post, especially when I've damn well stuck up for some of your views and I'm trying to help you over come all the problems you keep repeating.

If you can't tell, I'm pissed off now and I haven't reworded this post like I normally would to make it diplomatic and helpful. I do not understand what your damned problem is. You seem to only want to be negative with everything and post your unhelpful propaganda of why nothing can be done about anything. It doesn't matter what anyone says, you attack them and then go back to your extreme mantra about antimergers.

You are not being helpful even when invited to add something positive and as simple as a definition on what could be a dead server... It's attack, attack, repeat, attack, repeat, mantra.

I don't know why I ever took you off ignore. Maybe because I genuinely wanted to help you. Now you are calling me biased when I've come to the middle and I'm championing your issues.

Regardless, you aren't a nice person. I regret I can't help you because you don't want help or don't know how to accept it. I'll be putting you back on ignore so you can't piss me off anymore. But what really annoys me is I dropped my guard and let you upset me because I care enough about the game to want to fix it.

Plus enough of F ing Johnny this and that. Johnny is F ing dead. I took him out to the field and put him down like you do with every lame horse that's been whipped to death.

To everyone else, sorry about the outburst, but a girl can only take so much. Now I've put this person on ignore, I can keep championing both side of this discussion because I care about the game and my fellow players. I want you all to be able to play the game the way you want without excluding others. I will also not be taking sides unless I'm defending someone's honour from unreasonable personal attacks that aren't about this topic. (I hate bullies)

😟

Edited by Icykill_

All you've done is repeat most of the things you've said over and over in this thread about why mergers aren't a good idea. You seem to only want to be negative with everything and post your unhelpful propaganda of why nothing can be done about anything. It doesn't matter what anyone says, you attack them and then go back to your extreme mantra about antimergers.

You are not being helpful even when invited to add something positive and as simple as a definition on what could be a dead server... It's attack, attack, repeat, attack, repeat, mantra.

Oh, so I'm not the only one who noticed that?

Good... :o

But seriously, that guy is unbearable.

If he was a doctor and treat a patient with a knife in back, his advice would probably be:

"You know, a knife in the back is not necessarily a problem. Some people prefer knives in their backs. Also, having a knife in your back can be quite advantageous."

Edited by Rosterius

Why are you arguing again. I said it wasn't perfect. But you feel the need to list everything wrong with my simplistic definition.

I also asked you to add to the definition so we could polish up. But you can't even do that.

All you've done is repeat most of the things you've said over and over in this thread about why mergers aren't a good idea. Which had nothing to do with my post, especially when I've damn well stuck up for some of your views and I'm trying to help you over come all the problems you keep repeating.

If you can't tell, I'm pissed off now and I haven't reworded this post like I normally would to make it diplomatic and helpful. I do not understand what your damned problem is. You seem to only want to be negative with everything and post your unhelpful propaganda of why nothing can be done about anything. It doesn't matter what anyone says, you attack them and then go back to your extreme mantra about antimergers.

I don't know why I ever took you off ignore. Maybe because I genuinely wanted to help you. Now you are calling me biased when I've come to the middle and I'm championing your issues.

Regardless, you aren't a nice person. I regret I can't help you because you don't want help or don't know how to accept it. I'll be putting you back on ignore so you can't piss me off anymore. But what really annoys me is I dropped my guard and let you upset me because I care enough about the game to want to fix it.

Plus enough of F ing Johnny this and that. Johnny is F ing dead. I took him out to the field and put him down like you do with every lame horse that's been whipped to death.

To everyone else, sorry about the outburst, but a girl can only take so much. Now I've put this person on ignore, I can keep championing both side of this discussion because I care about the game and my fellow players. I want you all to be able to play the game the way you want without excluding others. I will also not be taking sides unless I'm defending someone's honour from unreasonable personal attacks that aren't about this topic. (I hate bullies)

😟

I was not trying to say you were biased. Subjective is not the same as biased.

Any definition that I threw out for "dead" server would still be a subjective definition, not an objective definition. Even if I defined "dead" as any server that has never had 25 people logged on at the same time in the past 6 months, someone else may define "dead" as any server that has ever had less than 500 people logged on at the same time in the past year.

That is the point I was trying to make, even if I was not clear enough in doing so.

Any definition that I threw out for "dead" server would still be a subjective definition, not an objective definition. Even if I defined "dead" as any server that has never had 25 people logged on at the same time in the past 6 months, someone else may define "dead" as any server that has ever had less than 500 people logged on at the same time in the past year.

My server right now:

Imp fleet = 4 people

Rep fleet = 3 people

Is this enough for your idea "dead server"?

I'm really sorry that I won't give up my 5 fully decorated stronghold, unique names that are occupied elsewhere, fully improved banks and few friends who still remained on my server (for the same reasons as me). Additionally, I do not have enough free CC to transferred ALL my characters.

From what you said, it is clear to me that it's all my fault, because I did not recognize which server will be successful when I created my characters 5 years ago. It is not possible that this could be BW fault, because all the players on dead servers obviously having a great time while waiting several hours for endgame activities.

Moreover, there is nothing better than to hear similar arguments from a person who is obviously not on a dead server. I think that such people really have the greatest right to speak about this issue because they have the most experience with this problem. Indeed, we should listen to their views, since they have the greatest value.

Silly me...

LOL. Yes. Silly you have no idea what you're talking about. I was in the APAC merger. A merge is a fancy name for your characters being transferred at zero charge. We got to pick our server of choice. The bastion had no login queue. Harbinger had a 45 min wait to log in. If our toon's name was taken then we would have to rename them prior to logging in. Guilds, strong holds, etc doesn't transfer over. So you'll lose all of that. It's just during a merger, you don't have much choice. If you think other people will give up their name on the server you're my edging to, then you're definitely mistaken. Now they are trying to find a solution to help that but so far nothing has been announced.

My server right now:

Imp fleet = 4 people

Rep fleet = 3 people

Is this enough for your idea "dead server"?

What server? What is "prime time" for that server?

Right now it is 3:25 AM East Coast U.S. time. That is not exactly prime time, is it?

What is the population on planets? In strongholds? In instances?

Maybe there are only 7 people total on that server, but I'd be willing to bet there are more than 7 people total on the server, even at 3:25 AM East Coast U.S. time. I would definitely bet that there are more than 7 people total on the server during prime time.

What server? What is "prime time" for that server?

Right now it is 3:25 AM East Coast U.S. time. That is not exactly prime time, is it?

What is the population on planets? In strongholds? In instances?

This is a European server, not the US.

We have forenoon right now.

During prime time is population on fleet +/- 15 people.

And just to add to whoever said they don't have enough free cc to transfer. With as many months as the sale has run, on a basic sub with a security key, you'd have received 2400CC enough for almost 27 toons. Also, you get one free transfer as well if you click a referral link, even as a sub. So...yeah...if you can't make due with 27 toons transferred then....well I think you can so I'll stop there.

This is a European server, not the US.

We have forenoon right now.

During prime time is population on fleet +/- 15 people.

That's on fleet and does not include any players on planets, in strongholds, instances, etc, but it sounds like that server's population is comparable to the remaining U.S. "PVP" servers, which I already said that in my subjective opinion could be considered extremely low population.

I'm gonna guess, though, that while it sounds as if you are not satisfied with the population on that server, that opinion is likely not shared by everyone on that server.

We already know that you don't want to transfer and why you don't want to transfer from an earlier post. Merging your server into another server will do nothing to address those concerns, only force everyone on your server to suffer the same headaches and nightmares, even those that are perfectly happy playing on that server.

How exactly would you like BW to handle your "dead" server?

Do they merge your server into another server, forcing you and everyone else on your server to suffer those headaches and nightmares?

Do you expect them to merge another server into yours so that you can avoid all those headaches and nightmares and the players on that other server have to suffer those headaches and nightmares, even if that server has a higher population than your server?

And just to add to whoever said they don't have enough free cc to transfer. With as many months as the sale has run, on a basic sub with a security key, you'd have received 2400CC enough for almost 27 toons. Also, you get one free transfer as well if you click a referral link, even as a sub. So...yeah...if you can't make due with 27 toons transferred then....well I think you can so I'll stop there.

To be honest, my subscription ends in 2 days.

And this was after a long time the only time since I had subscription.

I did it only because of event, to get my command rank on lvl 300.

And I'm not going to continue to support failure.

I'm gonna guess, though, that while it sounds as if you are not satisfied with the population on that server, that opinion is likely not shared by everyone on that server.

Wow...

When I thought that I knew your degree of arrogance, you are moved to a completely different lvl.

Merging your server into another server will do nothing to address those concerns, only force everyone on your server to suffer the same headaches and nightmares, even those that are perfectly happy playing on that server.

Sure, dead server + another dead server = something even worse

You should try to read those follies what you write...

How exactly would you like BW to handle your "dead" server?

Gosh I do not know. Hmm...

WHAT ABOUT MERGE MY SERVER WITH ANOTHER SERVER WITH LOW POPULATION TO CREATE SOMETHING BEARABLE? You know that insignificant thing about which is this whole topic.

Edited by Rosterius

Wow...

When I thought that I knew your degree of arrogance, you are moved to a completely different lvl.

Is it arrogance for Billy to recognize that others may have different opinions, or is it arrogance for Johnny to assume that everyone else either shares his opinion or is wrong?

I know what my answer would be.

Sure, dead server + another dead server = something even worse

You should try to read those follies what you write...

Allow me to quote you:

Silly me...

Now, tell me how merging servers would solve your 5 fully decorated strongholds or preserve your unique names.

Gosh I do not know. Hmm...

WHAT ABOUT MERGE MY SERVER WITH ANOTHER SERVER WITH LOW POPULATION TO CREATE SOMETHING BEARABLE? You know that insignificant thing about which is this whole topic.

As I said, merging your server into another would only force everyone on your server to suffer the same headaches and nightmares that are the reasons you refuse to transfer.

Sure, that's not selfish at all.

Edited by Ratajack

If you're an existing player then you have had AMPLE OPPORTUNITY TO TRANSFER. 600 FREE cc a month x sale time is 2400 cc! This means you could have transferred 26! Yes! 26! Toons. Plus click a referral link even as a sub and get a free transfer so potentially 27 toons!

So if you're still stuck on a dead server then you've only yourself to blame/complaining to hear yourself complain.

If you're a returning player, then they really should give free transfers.

There's no need to merge. Those remaining on dead servers and posting here choose to remain on dead servers. There's ZERO excuse except it's your decision.

I mean I want to sympathize but come on! Ample opportunity. Do what everyone else did that left the server dead and transfer. I did. My guild did. We all did.

Ample opportunity to what? Lose all the time and other stuff like guild ships, stronghold setups et al.? The EXACT SAME REASONS that people spout off about against having mergers. Get over yourself. The situation many people find themselves in right now has no viable solution, regardless of the cost of transfers. This is an MMO, if Bobby doesn't want to play with other people then Bobby needs to go find a single-player game. I understand that GoG sells the original KOTOR games for practically pennies nowadays.

Is it arrogance for Billy to recognize that others may have different opinions, or is it arrogance for Johnny to assume that everyone else either shares his opinion or is wrong?

I know what my answer would be.

The problem is that you have no real opinions.

You only disagree with the opinions of other people.

Your whole attitude can be expressed by sentence:

"You are wrong, I am right, merging servers is bad."

Icykill_ was absolutely right about you.

As I said, merging your server into another would only force everyone on your server to suffer the same headaches and nightmares that are the reasons you refuse to transfer.

Sure, that's not selfish at all.

Oh, so we finally know your goal.

You're trying to save all people on dead servers before the gruesome fate "merging servers".

It's so (stupid) noble of you...

For your information, my server had once been merged with another server.

I did not lose a single character, name or stronghold and there wasn't any payment.

P.S.

From this point I beginning to ignore you like Icykill_.

That rubbish what you write is really unbearable.

Ample opportunity to what? Lose all the time and other stuff like guild ships, stronghold setups et al.? The EXACT SAME REASONS that people spout off about against having mergers. Get over yourself. The situation many people find themselves in right now has no viable solution, regardless of the cost of transfers. This is an MMO, if Bobby doesn't want to play with other people then Bobby needs to go find a single-player game. I understand that GoG sells the original KOTOR games for practically pennies nowadays.

Wait. I don't quite understand your post.

To clarify, ample time to transfer. A merger is a fancy word for free character transfer. My guild reformed on Harb. They had a ship. Credits are easy to come by these days. Get your guild pumped and tell them to meet you on the other side. (Cue Adele) haha

But no, I'm not forcing anyone to transfer. I'm not forcing anyone to play any differently than they're already playing either. If you're solo, then cool, if you do group content, cool. They aren't going to ban subs if they don't play ops or pvp.