The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware Please Merge Servers

Totemdancer

The fact that the server Johnny chose has a lower population than he would prefer is not his fault. The fact that Johnny CHOOSES to remain on that server when he HAS the option to play on a server with a population more to his liking, IS "his fault", though.

Why should he have to pay while others don't?

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm making this thread because I think the dwindling population of the game should be addressed and a dialogue between the devs and the players via Musco should begin. Didn't the devs relay in a stream late last year that server populations would be looked into? That doesn't mean that they promised an open dialogue about the issue, but it gave the playerbase hope about this major concern and did pretty much imply you guys would.

I've been on The Harbinger since I've came back and I've already noticed Fleet numbers dwindling after the honeymoon phase of the whole number patch phased. I see the more of the same premades and PUGs than I've ever witnessed, and more of the same players in chat on Fleet. Mind you I was on Pot5 back during its heyday and it was one of the few servers that was thriving.

I've seen some people here calling for a megaserver, but I don't think that's the best way of doing it. Each region is entitled to at least one server. There are players that want to play with the best ping they can get. Sometimes another region may cause them unnecessary and aggravating lag spikes and/or they don't have the best internet they can get to handle playing fluidly on a server hosted in a different region.

As for discounted server transfers, I'm glad discounted server transfers are here to stay, but as many have argued here that isn't the best way to address the population issue or the best way to handle it. There is a more ethical and preferred solution to this whole mess: another round of server merges.

I believe this is a practical list that everyone can agree with and would be ideal for the playerbase in the long term:

West Coast:

The Harbinger - main server

Begeren Colony - RP server

East Coast:

The Shadowlands OR Jedi Covenant - main server (whichever is more populated will be the main server)

The Ebon Hawk - RP server

EU:

The Red Eclipse - main server

The Progenitor - RP server

All other servers that aren't listed should then lead to giving every player stuck on an unnamed server a complimentary server transfer of all their characters to whichever region(s) they choose. BW sets a deadline to do this. Once complimentary transfers end BW will consolidate the unnamed servers in each region into the main servers (e.g. Pot5 into Shadowlands for PvP/PvE; Jung Ma into Ebon Hawk for RP), and if people want to transfer to the other server or to another region they will have to pay a cost for missing the promotion. I think this sounds more than fair for both the studio and the playerbase.

As for those who argue about a certain sect that likes dead servers, all I have to say is that this is an MMO and not a singleplayer game. If you want peace and quiet around you there are an abundance of singleplayer RPG out there for you to play. Please don't ruin the MMO experience for the rest of us, which is what most of us are here for.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Talon_strikes

Why should he have to pay while others don't?

What others don't? Those that chose a server that has a population with which they are satisfied?

Uncertain, the future is.

People frequently make choices that turn out to be "the wrong choice" and oftentimes correcting "their mistakes" is not free.

What others don't? Those that chose a server that has a population with which they are satisfied?

Uncertain, the future is.

People frequently make choices that turn out to be "the wrong choice" and oftentimes correcting "their mistakes" is not free.

It isn't "their mistakes". The fault lies with the studio, not the players. Customers shouldn't have to pay to fix mistakes caused by devs.

I agree with most what you said, and it is a good thought out idea, but you are missing a few points.

It would be nice to get besides a main PVE server and a RP server also an PVP only server back to the game.

Because what bioware did last year in 2016 in april/may totally disolved all the PVP players in the game who liked world pvp, and it started first in the pvp servers but when they fled to other servers they quited the game there too, because the content they once liked was totally gone from the game also on the more populated servers. And that is all because the seperate instance idea is not working, and failed, it had a good intention to protect some players from ganking, but by letting everyone get the ability to hide on an safe zone, led to that nothing can be an instigator anymore for fun large scale world battles. Me and my friends came to such an server because we liked that exciting idea that someone can always attack you from the back, even in content dry times it always led to that things where never boring, and always there is something going on. It is and was for us content what we enjoyed. To play the hero to help people getting ganked, to be an villian infiltrate a enemy base and just screw around before you get caught, to team up with a large group of your guild and sabotage an enemy guilds plans. Or to take revenge. There was always something to do together or going on planets. I really miss that now. We need such an server to get all the players back who like such content only and allow people to transfer or make a huge sign that a pvp server is for such hardcore players, so people do not choose it by accident who are not into such things. Nowadays I am the only one left of all the 4 massive guilds I was apart of, they transferred but all quit the game because it was not rolling on Harbinger and TRE too, the content what we liked is completely gone. It literally destroyed the game for these kinds of people and made things to boring for them. I feel I must raise a voice for my friends who are not here anymore. I know that I only still play this game because I was officer of all these guilds and we are still all on enjin, almost all of them moved to other games to get the same feeling there. So that is what I would like to add and what the reasons are for it. The PVP servers where considered always not the biggest servers in the game but the entire PVP population what we had before that update was quite decent. In april/may and the months afther that in 2016 we lost almost all of them. It is time to give these kind of people also their own hubs back.

Edited by -JE-BLAZAR-

It isn't "their mistakes". The fault lies with the studio, not the players. Customers shouldn't have to pay to fix mistakes caused by devs.

Weren't the players (in general, not specific) the ones who chose to from their servers to new servers leading to some servers now being less populated?

The studio did not move them. The players did.

I'm not saying that it is entirely the players' fault, but it is also not entirely BW's fault. BW does not get a "free pass" on this issue, but, IMO, the players who CHOOSE to remain on a server with a lower population than they like do not get a "free pass", either.

I think you are not looking at the real picture for the EU people speak other languages like French, German Also why does it have to be 2 servers per region why not 1 for US servers they can solve the RP issue by adding an Instance for RP with strict conduct rules for trolls.

The real truth is server types are dying PVP servers are a true indication in this game because all PVP servers are dead in SWTOR on every region. So if they can't merge servers with guilds, guildships, strongholds and personal storage 100% we won't see anything solid until Bioware make the final decision to either pull the plug or the community has to take the rotten apple and lose what they have on the servers to make serious Mega Servers that this game does need.

Players will argue all day long about trolls on certain servers but at the end of the day if they love the game that will be forgotten as time moves on and players move on and still enjoy the game. Also the forums are a very small part of the player base due to the pure poison on here just like the fleet trolls the only true way to get a real indication on what players want is send out a poll via the email address on the account and see what the real community wants not just some people on the forums and this wouldn't include F2P or prefer players because they have finished supporting the game.

You act like this is HIS fault. He picked heads, not tails...so you feel like he should have to pay...which I find ridiculous.

Sorry TUX but I find your stance on this ridiculous and far worse full of double-standards.

First you say

"Yeah, I mean who can argue with that right? Rather than getting something he wants with his monthly coins"

After you have already said what he wants is a higher population server, Then say well no he wants to spend his coins on smoothing else. well then a higher population server is not important enough for him is it. You can have it both ways.

Before come back with another reply, I spent my coins on transfers instead of a few more level 65 tokens. Which I was saving for. Transferring to a lower population in the end was more important to me. Which you now want closed down. After I transferred. If I can transfer to the server I want so can anyone else.

As for who's at fault, well then who's fault will it be if servers close down and I end up on server I don't want to be on?

In part you will be as much to blame as anyone else asking for mergers. Won't be BW's will it?

Edited by DreadtechSavant

Weren't the players (in general, not specific) the ones who chose to from their servers to new servers leading to some servers now being less populated?

I'm not saying that it is entirely the players' fault, but it is also not entirely BW's fault. BW does not get a "free pass" on this issue, but, IMO, the players who CHOOSE to remain on a server with a lower population than they like do not get a "free pass", either.

Isn't Bioware doing strictly nothing to prevent people from ending on dead servers ? Did they give a clear information about servers population ? Did they do anything at all to make it easy for new players ? No, they let things unclear, and it's completely deliberate.

There's more servers than necessary, they perfectly know it, and refuse to do anything at all. There's no rationnal reason to let so many servers live considering how many are empty and considering the number of players in this game.

The only reason is they find a benefit in doing nothing, and they don't care AT ALL about players situations, but that's the case in a lot of part of this game. It makes no sense to let so many servers, but hey, some people with a lot of chars may finally give up, transfer, and pay a lot more than 90CC. We all know that some people here have an insane number of chars, and they are the target here.

How many guilds have died ? How many friends stopped playing together ? (...) This situation is just making the experience worse for a lot of people, and the problem exist for so long that it just pure hypocrisy.

I've been keeping up with this thread for awhile now and the vast majority in this thread is calling for server merges and it seems like you're about the only person trying to come up with arguments against it.

You need to remember that this game is an MMO above anything else. Sure, a lot of people want merges because of queue pops, but there is also the fact that people like to see an abundance of other people on fleet or planets or what have you. It shows that the MMO is thriving. It entices people to continue playing an MMO when you see there is a large population. If you see low numbers on an MMO (which, by the way, means massively multiplayer online game) then you're gonna leave to find a more populated MMO.

If Johnny doesn't like being on a highly populated server then he's going to have to suck it up if they do merges. He's one of the few in the majority that wants merges. Johnny needs to understand that this is an MMO and if he wants peace and quiet then poor Johnny can find a single player game...there are plenty out there.

But wait, Johnny loves this game and loves Star Wars. He wants to stay here. Well, Johnny, there is such a thing as turning off chat.

Edited by Moranine

Isn't Bioware doing strictly nothing to prevent people from ending on dead servers ? Did they give a clear information about servers population ? Did they do anything at all to make it easy for new players ? No, they let things unclear, and it's completely deliberate.

You mean other than there a merge thread been on the first page of this site for how long?

It would not heart to put it on each server discretion I agree. Still it take what 30mins to get to level 10 and ask? Hardly that much of a hindrance. I also love the way players here get so outraged on other players behalf.

I've been keeping up with this thread for awhile now and the vast majority in this thread is calling for server merges and it seems like you're about the only person trying to come up with arguments against it.

You need to remember that this game is an MMO above anything else. Sure, a lot of people want merges because of queue pops, but there is also the fact that people like to see an abundance of other people on fleet or planets or what have you. It shows that the MMO is thriving. It entices people to continue playing an MMO when you see there is a large population. If you see low numbers on an MMO (which, by the way, means massively multiplayer online game) then you're gonna leave to find a more populated MMO.

If Johnny doesn't like being on a highly populated server then he's going to have to suck it up if they do merges. He's one of the few in the majority that wants merges. Johnny needs to understand that this is an MMO and if he wants peace and quiet then poor Johnny can find a single player game...there are plenty out there.

But wait, Johnny loves this game and loves Star Wars. He wants to stay here. Well, Johnny, there is such a thing as turning of chat.

+1 internetz. Johnny should follow your advice. :o

You need to remember that this game is an MMO above anything else. Sure, a lot of people want merges because of queue pops, but there is also the fact that people like to see an abundance of other people on fleet or planets or what have you. It shows that the MMO is thriving. It entices people to continue playing an MMO when you see there is a large population. If you see low numbers on an MMO (which, by the way, means massively multiplayer online game) then you're gonna leave to find a more popular MMO.

But wait, Johnny loves this game and loves Star Wars. He wants to stay here. Well, Johnny, there is such a thing as turning of chat.

Oh so you have been keeping up with this debate have you? The only person you say?

Second Prove to me that the majority of players post here on the forums.

So Johnny has to suck it up. Well back at you. You can move. Server merge takes away any choice to Johnny.

Also MMO. No where in MMO does it state you must play in groups. just means multiple players online at the same time.

Oh so you have been keeping up with this debate have you? The only person you say?

So Johnny has to suck it up. Well back at you. You can move. Server merge takes away any choice to Johnny.

Also MMO. No where in MMO does it state you must play in groups. just means multiple players online at the same time.

Which means there shouldn't be any dead or low populated server in existence. Only servers that have consistent and active queue pops and a market should exist.

Johnny and players like Johnny should be playing a singleplayer game if they don't want to play in a game marketed to have a massive amount of players online at the same time.

First off, never said I was the only one keeping up with this thread. I don't know where you pulled that out from. I said that I was keeping up with it, yes. But I didn't state that I'm the only one???

Second, if you take the time to read my first sentence I said majority in THIS thread.

And I previously stated that an MMO is stated as being a massively multiplayer online game and also brought forth the fact that some people are not JUST looking for queue pops. I'm on Ebon Hawk and I get decent queue pops during the times I'm on. However, the part I brought up was that people like to see a good number of other players on an MMO. They like to see the fleet full or the starter planets. I get on fleet now and sometimes see about 80 or so people on. That's disheartening. It's showing that the game is dying and when someone new joins and sees such low populations whereas they are looking for the actual MMO aspect of an abundance of players then they are going to leave.

Sorry TUX but I find your stance on this ridiculous and far worse full of double-standards.

First you say

"Yeah, I mean who can argue with that right? Rather than getting something he wants with his monthly coins"

After you have already said what he wants is a higher population server, Then say well no he wants to spend his coins on smoothing else. well then a higher population server is not important enough for him is it. You can have it both ways.

Before come back with another reply, I spent my coins on transfers instead of a few more level 65 tokens. Which I was saving for. Transferring to a lower population in the end was more important to me. Which you now want closed down. After I transferred. If I can transfer to the server I want so can anyone else.

As for who's at fault, well then who's fault will it be if servers close down and I end up on server I don't want to be on?

In part you will be as much to blame as anyone else asking for mergers. Won't be BW's will it?

I don't think it's the customers job to follow the crowd while Bioware makes $ off servers dying. I think it's Bioware's job to fill the servers and provide the atmosphere we play in. Some servers are DEAD and need to be closed. What you're suggesting he do is pay additional money, beyond his sub, more than you and I pay, to get the same thing we get.

I understand you think he should just pay the money and shut up...in fact, I did that myself...but that's not right and it's not a solution for players like him. He's paying the same thing we are and he's getting shafted. If he were my friend, I'd tell him to just pay the damn money and move on...but he's not...I don't know him at all...but I know he's correct in thinking he shouldn't have to pay more than anyone else does, just to have a similar experience to what everyone else is getting. Bioware doesn't give him a discount to play on a dead server...they take just as much from him as they do anyone else.

I really don't care what happens to people like you who want their solitude. You picked this game up knowing damn well it was an MMO, so if you get forced to play with other people, get over it...that's what MMOs are like. You get no say in the matter...Bioware gets to dictate everything. There have been 2 mergers in the past and the same rules applied then that do now.

There are no "definitive" solutions for serve merges. There are plenty of player opinions for sure.

UNTIL they sort out how to move guilds intact for this MMO... server merges will do more harm then good.

Voluntary transfers are currently THE solution to being "trapped" on an "empty server". It works particularly well for unguilded and friendless random PuG queuing players... so if that is you... I advise you do it.

Now.. if you are sitting on Harbinger with your characters (which you actually admitted above).... then /ignore_you as you are someone wanting more players forcibly moved to Harbinger against their will so you have more random players to random group with. Not a nice approach to MMO play by you in my view.

Edited by Andryah

Which means there shouldn't be any dead or low populated server in existence. Only servers that have consistent and active queue pops and a market should exist.

Johnny and players like Johnny should be playing a singleplayer game if they don't want to play in a game marketed to have a massive amount of players online at the same time.

You are on Harbinger, having moved from PoT5, right?

So why do you care what the community, activity levels, or desires of players on the other servers are? Worse.. why try to over-ride them with this forced server merge drama over and over again?

You are stirring the pot to try to force server merges to Harbinger. Please stop.

Edited by Andryah

You mean other than there a merge thread been on the first page of this site for how long?

It would not heart to put it on each server discretion I agree. Still it take what 30mins to get to level 10 and ask? Hardly that much of a hindrance. I also love the way players here get so outraged on other players behalf.

Sure it's possible to find where to go if you look for it. But still, if bioware really wanted to make things easy and really obvious for players, they could. I'm not saying people can't do it by themselves and discharging them of their responsability, but the fact that bioware don't want things to be clear is something if find really dishonest.

It would cost them barely nothing to make things a little bit better, with clear informations. That's all I'm saying, and the result would be to make things easier for new players. How exactly would it be a bad thing ? They just don't want to do anything as they ignore the server issues for so long.

How can you justify 3 french servers, all in really bad shape ? There's more french players in The Red Eclipse than on any of these ones. How do you justify to let people create new chars on these servers, while everyone knows they will never recover, everyone is gone ? They could close the dead servers for new chars, but they don't. We heard many times the "a big rush of new players will arrive with this or with that", and it NEVER happened.

This would certainly be a good solution at this time...but we honestly don't need 6 freaking servers...we don't need 3, but 3 make sense to me due to the regions.

Actually if it is done three does make sense. One west, one east and one EU using the different instances to allow people to PvP, PvE and RP and add a setting to default your instance to a specific one.

The problem as others have mentioned for example is in EU where you have different languages. That could be solved by just having 3 servers in EU one for each language

You need two in the U.S. because you would increase pings for those on one side of the country or the other. There are players from Australia for example that connect to a West coast plus you have Canadian players that may use East coast.

You have players from many different locations and forcing them to be on one side or the other is not viable. Hence two in the U.S. would be needed

The main great issue that everyone forgets is that when you transfer to a new server, guild flagships, player strongholds don't transfer forcing guilds and players to rebuild and unlock them. There may be other related issues as well and until those are solved I doubt you'll see a merger

Edited by Nightblazer