The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why is the in-game community so incredibly toxic?

TheRandomWolf

A while ago I made a thread regarding a similar issue. I stated some of the bad experiences I had during my first few weeks in the game, but also the good ones. Now, two months after starting the game, things are just getting worse. It's almost getting to a point where I'm finding myself losing interest in the game.

This community, especially the one that can be found in-game... is just atrocious. I have played many MMOs... but I haven't seen anything this bad. I am pretty much all by myself. I can't request for any sort of help because I'll end up being ignored or harassed; the guilds are worthless.... I can join as many as I wish but they will provide no support whatsoever and usually end up deserted in a matter of days... Some are even racist and over-the-top cruel.

I cannot convince real life and online friends to play this game with me... so naturally I tried to forge some friendships in-game. This is something tha I always do and nearly a decade of playing MMOs I have failed completely at properly meeting anyone in this game. The people in the forums do seem rather helpful and nice. There's a wikia and several sites that attempt to guide and provide insight... but I can't find anything like that inside the game. It's furstrating and even unbelievable.

For me this game does work as a singleplayer experience most of the time... but if I want to do a fFashpoint or partner up for some Heroics... it just doesn't work. It doesn't. I can't even have the chat visible because all I'll see is cancerous nonsense. My Ignore list is off the charts on several characters.

In the end I can't say that I regret having joined this game. In terms of PvE and story it has been an enjoyable ride... but I believe I'll call it quits once my subscription is over I understand that SWTOR has a better community when comparing to other games... but.. I don't know how to explain it any further... Is it just me? Was I just unlucky? :(

P.S: My server is Red Eclipse on the European side.

Edited by TheRandomWolf

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it's a F2P game that has ZERO in game moderation. It's not "the community" either, it's several deviants who think they're funny...they don't represent the majority and you need to learn to ignore them. Bioware allows it, they take advantage of it.

I think there's always going to be a considerable amount of douchebags and idiots, perhaps in all MMO's. Certainly in this game.

You simply cannot afford to write off all guilds as worthless. That's just silly and they're not.

You have to find the right guild for you and find your own personal group of friends in the game. Expect that a good chunk of people are ****, a certain other group of people will appear to be ok and will turn out to be ****, and that maybe you can meet a few INDIVIDUALS you can be friends with and you'll be ok.

Because it's a F2P game that has ZERO in game moderation. It's not "the community" either, it's several deviants who think they're funny...they don't represent the majority and you need to learn to ignore them. Bioware allows it, they take advantage of it.

Why are F2P even allowed to use General chat? They should be blocked of such thing... Wouldn't that also stop the bots? And how there are so many of these people arond?

Edited by TheRandomWolf

The state of the community reflects the state of the game. Prople are unhappy with how the game is and that shows on their behaviour. I rekember a few years back everything was OK and ppl happy and helpful.

Besides the issue that we're mainly talking about, what is really wrong with the game? I mean the new expansions have been so much fun. I really like the writing and the new planets... and you can get level 65-70 gear with ease, right? I mean, I can always buy it off the GTN or drop it from a crate... Having level 68 mods is already enough to hold my ground anyway. Or is there any different issue?

I'm also aware the Support system sucks... because I was forced to call Bioware once.

I chose an RP server for the first time, due to my friends being here and after years of a WoW pvp server I have found the community to be outstanding. The difference is like night and day.

Maybe pvp servers here are different, but the community on the Ebon Hawk is excellent IMO.

Why are F2P even allowed to use General chat? They should be blocked of such thing... Wouldn't that also stop the bots? And how there are so many of these people arond?

Really? The subs are the ones who post so frequently and F2P have a sixty second cooldown, there are no penalties for subs which is why the Fleet trolls behave badly.

I chose an RP server for the first time, due to my friends being here and after years of a WoW pvp server I have found the community to be outstanding. The difference is like night and day.

Maybe pvp servers here are different, but the community on the Ebon Hawk is excellent IMO.

It happens there too.

Today I did False Emperor where one wanted everyone to skip cutscenes and other player wanted to watch them. Imagine this "**** ******** ***** ****** ******** *** *******" line after line. Even during boss fight.

No, forum didn't censor that. I did. Actually, I don't even know what it's supposed be. :D

Edited by Halinalle

It happens there too.

Today I did False Emperor where one wanted everyone to skip cutscenes and other player wanted to watch them. Imagine this "**** ******** ***** ****** ******** *** *******" line after line. Even during boss fight.

No, forum didn't censor that. I did. Actually, I don't even know what's it supposed read. :D

there are jerks everywhere, but in my experience the community as a whole is better than what I am used to.

It may be the server you are on or the type of server. Though I have noticed that toxic people tend to crowd on the starter planets. You can also find them from time to time in fp. I suggest the liberal use of the ignore button. I have also noticed that the dark sid is much friendlier then the light side. So if your on a republic toon switching to an imperial toon will help you find more friendly people. I theorize that this because all the nice retail worker who have 1000% had it come to the dark side to kill people.

I really think it comes with the frustration that Bioware never listen his players. In comparison to the numbers of topics created every day focusing on all aspects of the game : suggestions / bug and issue report / improvement / classes balance, etc..

Most of them aren't worth it but a few ones are very good and Bioware should listen.

But nothing is done. We have been waiting for years for new operations (only because the community ask) and it's not even right here and when we finally know there will be one, it is just one boss with some others unlocked one month after another.

So I think the frustration is turning people into toxics because they're frustrated to see a game evolve but never in the right way, one example among many others is Galactic Command system that all players are taking for chinese players and have to farm a year to have a decent stuff for one character.

The state of the community reflects the state of the game. Prople are unhappy with how the game is and that shows on their behaviour. I rekember a few years back everything was OK and ppl happy and helpful.

In conclusion I totally agree.

Edited by TyrionGraphiste

Funny, I took a break from the game for 2-3~ years and when I returned I didnt know anyone and started over on a new character. But I ended up in a progression guild, got placed in a raid group and now im back in contact with a few players I didnt know still played...and I have a new group of friends. A lot of friends. This all without me even trying... It just happened.

Granted, my old guild was one of the top progression guilds, so that opened doors for me.

Either way... my point is I do not find the community toxic. I also easily made friends. No offence but maybe you're making your own reality.

Edited by Radzkie

A lot will depend on what help you are asking for and the way you are asking for the help. Personally I don't see asking for a group the same way asking for help because you are stuck, or don't understand something. To me these are two separate issues. I know when I have asked how to do something or need help getting the 2 player datacrons most of the time I always get the help, same as I offer to help others. I am a solo player So don't group for FP, WZ, Op's. Others not wanting to group does not make them toxic. Getting verbal abuse by other players if asking for groups would be.

I do agree with you though general chat can be very toxic at certain times of the day dependant on which server you are on. Red Eclipse (the one you said you are on) is very hit and miss when it comes to help but not always bad, there are nice players on there and that can be said for all servers.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

So I think the frustration is turning people into toxics because they're frustrated to see a game evolve but never in the right way, one example among many others is Galactic Command system that all players are taking for chinese players and have to farm a year to have a decent stuff for one character.

In conclusion I totally agree.

It's absurd to believe that frustration with a game turns people into douchebags. Also I think that comments like yours, that "Chinese players" love to grind is exactly the type of inherent douchebaggery the OP was talking about.

In my experience, EAWare doesn't take any action against people who are reported for being abusive and toxic in-game (even people who do things like dox people in chat, routinely use racial slurs, constantly harass female toons/players with demands for sex, make new characters/whole guilds with names directed as insults to other players, etc.). So of course over time that sort of behavior would run absolutely rampant, because there's zero consequences for bad behavior.

A lot will depend on what help you are asking for and the way you are asking for the help. Personally I don't see asking for a group the same way asking for help because you are stuck, or don't understand something. To me these are two separate issues. I know when I have asked how to do something or need help getting the 2 player datacrons most of the time I always get the help, same as I offer to help others. I am a solo player So don't group for FP, WZ, Op's. Others not wanting to group does not make them toxic. Getting verbal abuse by other players if asking for groups would be.

I do agree with you though general chat can be very toxic at certain times of the day dependant on which server you are on. Red Eclipse (the one you said you are on) is very hit and miss when it comes to help but not always bad, there are nice players on there and that can be said for all servers.

To expand on that...no guild can help you if you never, ever ask for help. A lot of guilds have plenty of people willing to help with questions or strats or to run group stuff together, but a lot of new people expect the guild to read their mind. I get people all the time during recruiting drives that ask if we'll answer questions or if we're active in chat. Then they join, never talk, never ask questions, and quit a few weeks later having never spoken a single word. I guess it really IS unhelpful of us to not be clairvoyant and answer all the unasked questions you had.

The community is pretty good on Ebon Hawk. I'm always meeting people accidentally. I'm a solo player with social anxiety (yes, even online lol) and sometimes feel pressured because I'm always being invited for heroics, guilds, and to help random people. I feel like it's the exact opposite of what you're describing. I should probably move to one of those dead servers lol.

But, EH still has a few trolls. It's just the nature of the world now. My ignore list is YUGE . So big it looks like people are talking to themselves in dk chat. I love it.

And it has nothing to do with the "state of the game". That is so silly. Most people who play don't read the forums everyday or obsess over design decisions. Trolls are just unhappy boys who need attention.

People on my ignore list are young men who haunt dk or fleet to say racist and sexist things to upset people. (mostly racist at the moment) I usually just respond once in a quick, simple way to make my opinion heard. I think it's important not to be silent, because I know there's at least one kid playing who might feel bad about themselves because of their skin color/culture. Then, I ignore the original troll and anyone else who wants to /tell me that I'm a special snowflake ( i know I am, thank you) . It's worked out fine like this for a while. Gotta have a strategy for trolls no matter what platform you use online.

Edited by Ralei

It's absurd to believe that frustration with a game turns people into douchebags. Also I think that comments like yours, that "Chinese players" love to grind is exactly the type of inherent douchebaggery the OP was talking about.

Yeah, doesn't make anyone look good when they excuse toxicity by saying "the game is driving me to be toxic to everyone around me."

It's like PvPers who say PvP itself causes toxicity, yet there are many more people who can play without resorting to toxicity. It's just a dumb excuse to continue being a douche to other people unchecked.

A while ago I made a thread regarding a similar issue. I stated some of the bad experiences I had during my first few weeks in the game, but also the good ones. Now, two months after starting the game, things are just getting worse. It's almost getting to a point where I'm finding myself losing interest in the game.

This community, especially the one that can be found in-game... is just atrocious. I have played many MMOs... but I haven't seen anything this bad. I am pretty much all by myself. I can't request for any sort of help because I'll end up being ignored or harassed; the guilds are worthless.... I can join as many as I wish but they will provide no support whatsoever and usually end up deserted in a matter of days... Some are even racist and over-the-top cruel.

I cannot convince real life and online friends to play this game with me... so naturally I tried to forge some friendships in-game. This is something tha I always do and nearly a decade of playing MMOs I have failed completely at properly meeting anyone in this game. The people in the forums do seem rather helpful and nice. There's a wikia and several sites that attempt to guide and provide insight... but I can't find anything like that inside the game. It's furstrating and even unbelievable.

For me this game does work as a singleplayer experience most of the time... but if I want to do a fFashpoint or partner up for some Heroics... it just doesn't work. It doesn't. I can't even have the chat visible because all I'll see is cancerous nonsense. My Ignore list is off the charts on several characters.

In the end I can't say that I regret having joined this game. In terms of PvE and story it has been an enjoyable ride... but I believe I'll call it quits once my subscription is over I understand that SWTOR has a better community when comparing to other games... but.. I don't know how to explain it any further... Is it just me? Was I just unlucky? :(

P.S: My server is Red Eclipse on the European side.

Bring up the who list and search for swtorfamily there will typically be someone who can invite you after 7pm German time. They are an amazing (seriously amazing) group of people who help each other. They've even helped me and I'm on harbinger. Please if you need any assistance in finding them let me know.

Not saying this was your intent but your post feels like some regressive blog on the need for safe spaces and to stop online cyberbullies. Personally don't care if some people on the internet are not nice or say naughty words. If you think the community is bad, why not be the beacon of hope. Start a guild that welcomes new players and help those in need... Personally I think the others are right, this is just a reflection of the state of the game.