The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Reached GC Rank 300. No 242s.

mike_carton

It should go back to how it was with the Data crystals. I felt that that was a good system and supplement it to where you either got a drop for that gear off a boss or you could purchase said gear if you saved enough crystals. That was a good way to gear up.

They could even take it a step further by combining it with the Galactic Command to where instead of CXP levels you just earn crystals by completing one of the items on the Galactic Command window.

You want to do Heroic runs, then at the end you earn like 5 crystals per set of heroics, if it's part of the daily bonus then you get 7 or 10. Complete an uprising story mode, get 10 crystals, do veteran mode, get 15 crystals. The harder the content or the more people it requires, the more you get. That way even solo players can grind heroics if they want.

I put this in another thread so I just copied and pasted but something similar to this in how it worked pre 5.0:

• Each tier of gear has a direct crystal or token cost (higher tier, higher cost)
  • Earn Crystals or tokens for completing ops, warzone, flashpoint, uprising, etc and like they wanted harder the task more crystals or tokens you get (i.e. Story vs. Veteran vs. Master)
  • When you get the amount you need, trade in for the gear.
  • Can even make it where you need to trade older tier gear plus crystals or tokens to get the next level to prevent people from just saving to the highest tier level.
  • Then when new tiers are released lower the cost of lower tiers or remove lowest tier and then the new lowest tier remove requirement for trading in previous tier gear if gong that route.
  • Then when an expansion is released, exchange all crystals or tokens for credits to the players so everyone is reset to 0 for the next 3 tiers.

Personally I wouldn't expect a massive change like this until 6.0 drops.

/signed, as is.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird. Gear acquisition is now a super-rare crapshoot so by your thinking the servers should be jam-packed. And yet... and yet it feels emptier now than before KotET was announced.

People were leaving in 4.x because BINO failed to keep up with the MMO bits. There was a small community of thost that "got all the gear" that were willing to play the stale content. Instead of reversing the unsubber trend 5.x convinced the few willing to put up with old content now had a reason to flee.

The few gripes about 4.x gearing I saw was how BINO pooched BiS drops. Making them guaranteed from a HM was amateurishly bad. Making them RNG for NiM was just insulting. 4.0 was super alt-friendly... 5.0 is a big old middle finger.

Feels the same to me. I'm only on one server though.

People are always leaving and complaining about something in why they're leaving.

Old content! Gear takes longer to get! Or the original...my class has changed!

How about the even older...I have to pay a sub?!

Ok Im on the page now. I have spent time in every aspect of the game. I had a blast, then tried to have fun, then just became frustrated. These guys must be intentionally destroying this one.

I could not logically understand why a game built on an incredible foundation, that you cant help love right away.. a game with soo much to offer, is encouraging us all to take days off and months off.. encouraging us to quit.

Im not sure we can do anything as a player. They are just trying to find the margin for how much reward is necessary. Its not about the game or the money, just about the margin. I hate saying this soo much bc I love the game, but they really messed it up lately. This game deserves more subs than wow, instead these guys do things that should stop them from sleeping at night.

Money and Time, they abuse it to extremes. Finding that margin means: How much time will this player devote before they need a reward to prevent them from quiitting; Or how much money will this guy spend before he will not spend a penny.

They either have an insane rework expansion planned or SWTOR 2 planned. DELETED///

Edited by IstariZen

This bump in CXP has totally screwed bioware over. Now they we have a taste for faster command leveling and still find it horrible then slowing it down again will make people like myself just give up.

What keeps these limited content MMOs fresh is the ability to play alts. We really gained NOTHING but pain in this expansion; not sure why I bother still playing it.

Seriously, think about it. Other than the new story which I can't complain about we were sent backwards.

We went from having the best gear to a whole new tier and set of levels. The content STAYED THE SAME. So basically we were forced a grind to do the SAME crap we did last year. On top of that, they made this grind so intense it puts korean MMO games to shame and destroys the ability to play our alts.

The thought process over at bioware that thought of this has to be completely broken and out of touch. These devs have to be some of the WORST decision makers in the history of gaming. This is Atari ET level bad here.

These clowns on the live streams will all eventually be fired just like the clowns before them. It's a revolving door of garbage talent over at bioware.

People are always leaving and complaining about something in why they're leaving.

Sure but never has anybody quit because they got BiS. If you PvP'd you've only just started because you reached parity.

In PvE Pre-4.0 getting to BiS meant you had cleared the hardest content and unless it was a paid carry probably had to clear it multiple times. If you were in one of the very few teams that managed to do that then you could work on the timed runs. Much like running a different class story you could swap roles or classes to see the fights from a different perspective.

Then there's the social aspect. One of my favorite things to do is to overgear a raid and just go in and blow it up (while partaking in adult beverages).

MMO's focus on playable repeatable content for a reason. It takes -- well should take -- a non-trivial amount of time to learn the mechanics, hone personal skill, and farm earlier content for gear to make the job easier. If it's a group activity then add in learning the coordination and strategy needed for the fight.

Old content! Gear takes longer to get! Or the original...my class has changed!

I'm certainly guilty of the first and the last. As a recovering progression raider I'm trying like heck to not care about gear but I see how demoralizing Galactic Command has been for the people around me.

How about the even older...I have to pay a sub?!

Funding models are an interesting topic. FFXIV:ARR proves that the sub-only model is sustainable if you regularly produce a reasonable amount of content. Free-to-play models can work in theory but IMO until the industry moves away from predatory practices that space is going to suffer. It may take legislation and that looks like it's coming sooner rather than later.

Edited by PlasmaJohn

This bump in CXP has totally screwed bioware over.

Totally, and it's even worse than you described - now they are in a race with themselves to fix things in 5.1.2, because once we have a large number of folks that have reached GC300 and just have scraps for gear, even the most Stockholm Syndrome afflicted will begin to wonder "w t f?"

5.1.2 had better bring substantial bumps in PvP Component drops across the board, and maybe a way for story players to get them.

So say you are at GC 300? With only a few 242's as many are, and most have if your on the lucky side. Then what? Even when 5.1.2 hits. How are you even able to roll the horrible RNG dice then? Basically your done? Cant get more crates. Just have to grind out the several THOUSAND Unassembled Nerf Herder Fecal Components one warzone at a time? 5 for a win and 3 for a loss. Oh, thats unless you get put into an arena. God Bless Em. I DIDNT QUE FOR THAT! Thats why theres a ranked tab. And im not getting less components becuase you put me in there. Lets face it. I want to get top gear before I die. Theres not one second that can be wasted. "Leave Warzone"

P.S. 2 and 3 people groups are actually called groups by the game itself and yet, they cant que for group ranked. Mmmmm???

Sure wish i could do those dailies. Even when Im in a 4 man group. It never pops. Again. No time to waste if I ever want to see full 242 on my one toon.

Edited by Psylentdeath

All the system really needs is bad luck protection, as other games have implemented in the past. That means you get a guaranteed drop every n crates. That would at least make it calculatable because you'd know that you'd have full gear after n ranks.

Also, op token drop rates need to be reevaluated and increased. I think that much is obvious.

Going back to the old system is not an option really. There's a lot of people who just want to do the new master mode solo stuff, and they have to have a way to gear up, too.

So say you are at GC 300? With only a few 242's as many are, and most have if your on the lucky side. Then what? Even when 5.1.2 hits. How are you even able to roll the horrible RNG dice then? Basically your done? Cant get more crates. Just have to grind out the several THOUSAND Unassembled Nerf Herder Fecal Components one warzone at a time?

You actually still get crates, you just don't gain any new ranks. The distance between crates is that of getting from 299 to 300 (5000 I think).

Edited by Kaldron_Fell

All the system really needs is bad luck protection, as other games have implemented in the past. That means you get a guaranteed drop every n crates. That would at least make it calculatable because you'd know that you'd have full gear after n ranks.

Also, op token drop rates need to be reevaluated and increased. I think that much is obvious.

Going back to the old system is not an option really. There's a lot of people who just want to do the new master mode solo stuff, and they have to have a way to gear up, too.

You actually still get crates, you just don't gain any new ranks. The distance between crates is that of getting from 299 to 300 (5000 I think).

Ops drops must be guarentueed and 100% chance drop. PvP components need to be on the level of the 3.3 comms. Period. Keep the GC for casuals if they desire.

The most thrilling experience of this Galactic Command B.S. is simply opening a crate to having a disintegrate value over 400. For me that's a win! expecting or hoping for actual gear that's a true upgrade over 224 gear from 4.x I find is the joke of this whole system. The unassembled pieces / componets makes the 5.x gearing more complicated and convuluted from the previous system. It's just a massive troll job by mr. Irving and dev team.

I would not be shocked that if this garbage continues, if the Subscription base totally tanks when people have to grind more command ranks in a still very RNG system that still does nothing to make things helpful for those who play alts. Did Bioware fail to recall this is supposed to be a MMO ? not a single player game. The game engine is rubbish, the dev team has failed this community time and time again. Continuing to do the same thing in hopes of different results. Is the definition of Insanity.

My own Sub is due to expire roughly at time 5.2 drops, I'm very much on the fence with whether I'm going to renew the sub. I am not alone in this feeling. NOTHING Bioware's live streams or dialogue with the community has demonstrated to me enough justification to continue supporting this tire fire of an alleged triple A , MMO title.

The writers have wrote themselves into a corner on Story. We still have companions missing that many players want back. The challenges presented to the story and game leads have failed. 5.0 the eternal grind is a object lesson in epic fail and what to not do... You'd have thought with SoE's failures of SWG , that maybe Bioware would have had a clue of what not to do to a MMO . You found out in 1.5 with how bad RNG in the champion bags was a mistake. Now in 5.0 You feel RNG is a good idea ? Seriously who ever designed the 5.0 RNG system needs fired. But sadly this game will either live without much of a subscription base and require the whales to cartel market support the game, or this games history before 6.0. Because with the 1.5 fiasco you had free to play to fall back on and save the game. Now you don't even have that. ....

Without being a hardcore pvp'er or on a raid team, and with bad RNG I can see your predicament.

Indeed.

The solo stuff that's left like veteran chapters and above cannot be attempted, let alone completed without a decent set of gear which is not possible to get if you're not one of the above. At 101 command level on my main I have given up. RNG has worse odds than Euromillions and trying to gather unassembled components through random solo PvP warzones is a joke. I've given up bothering with the system and have gone back to levelling alts for the class story and waiting for the chapters where our companions return. Hopefully they will scrap the CXP/crate/components bollocks in 6.0 and go back to the it-was-never-broken crystal system, adding a superior level for those who are hardcore OPs/PvPers with the rest of us getting access to decent level gear from our solo or casual grouping endeavours.

Not for 242's/236's. You wanna encourage players to do PvP/GSF/Operations, not the fastest chapter/uprising/flashpoint on repeat.

I treat T3 GC as a way to get 240 stuff for my main and alts. 242's from crates are a bonus.

All the system really needs is for Bioware to admit that the crates are not the primary gearing mechanism, they are the secondary gearing mechanism for casuals and story mode players, and then a return to a token-based choice system as the primary gearing system. One way to look at this is that they should just go back to the 4.x gearing system and keep the crates for casuals; a more productive way to look at it is that 5.1.2 is taking a baby step in that direction by the upcoming increases to the component drop rates. If they are substantial enough they will be probably a big enough fix, even though the current component upgrade system is cringeworthy.

But the first step is admission that they got it backwards and that the crates are a fine choice for the secondary bonus system but a catastrophe as a primary system. Instead, BW is just kind of incrementally moving in that direction. We'll get to the same place eventually, but a lot of pain could be avoided if they would just admit they made a mistake.

I made to the tier 1 took me awhile all am doing is heroics and flashpoints, so got all blue 230's but not a single purple in the mix I gave up not grinding to 300 to get junk I would of been geared already in the pre-patches including alts.

All this new system is doing is making me turn away really quick and it's due cause of boredom.

But but but you have PVP components and can do NiM ops for gear :D:cool::rolleyes:

Because chance drops and PvP till eyes bleed is fun. :rolleyes: Or I can play FF and just wait for them to put guaranteed specific loot back on all bosses while Rome burns... :rak_03:.

Edited by FerkWork

There has to be a system for everyone to get the pieces if they have bad luck.

Of the last 20 crates I've opened they have all be bad, you would think that rng would even out and everyone would end up with roughly the same number of decent pieces by 100 or 200 or 300. However this doesn't seem to be the case. I'm still probably luckier than some, I have some 242 pieces and some 240 and a duplicate ear piece!

However it is possible those 20 bad rolls will turn into 100 bad roll's and what makes me more deserving of pieces than someone else that has ground out the exact same amount of points but had worse luck. Gambling is all well and good if that is all it is, you wouldn't expect to do the exact same job as someone else and then pick up your pay cheque by random chance. If you put in 100 hours of grinding you should get the same things as someone else, not randomly picked numbers determining who should have what gear.

upgrade them into T4 BiS set gear for your alts in the future.

Discussion of datamined content on the forums is discouraged. Was this finally announced though? I saw someone else referring to it.

Also, none of those pieces are BoL yet so what is the upgrade path for alts?

Discussion of datamined content on the forums is discouraged. Was this finally announced though? I saw someone else referring to it.

Also, none of those pieces are BoL yet so what is the upgrade path for alts?

Given how often the data mined content has proven accurate and how shabbily the paying customers are being treated, I think people are justified in ignoring the "discouraged" part. Obviously, any dumping of large cache of data mined info would be unwise as it is likely to attract swift retribution.

There are no BoL pieces in crates with item modifications also present. The ugly, useless empty shells are BoL though. You could pull the item modifications from the armor you get and put them in BoL shells and pass on to alts. However, only identical and mirror image alts would benefit from the set bonus.