The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What happened to the Datacron deco drops?

PatT

They still drop, but the drop rate appears to have been drastically lowered since strongholds were first introduced. You might get one at most now while leveling up an alt. It isn't uncommon for some of the datacrons to be completely missing from the GTN as well, since they are now rare.

I think Bioware should look at bumping up the drop rates for them. That, or introduce some new ways to obtain them. On that note, some ideas....

1. Introduce a quest reward for the datacron master achievement that gives one each of every datacron in your chosen alignment, with neutral aligned players getting the datacrons aligned to their chosen faction. Make it autocomplete on pick up for players that already have the achievement.

2. Have datacrons occasionally show up in galactic command crates.

3. Have all datacrons be purchasable with light/dark tokens from the Light and Dark vendors

Obviously all three shouldn't be done simultaneously, but one of those three options would be a nice way to bump up the amount of datacrons you could obtain.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

They drastically cut the drop rate on them at the same time they drastically cut the drop rate of decorations from flashpoints. Because God forbid EAWare not add to the existing inflation of the in-game economy by making items even more rare in a stealth change that was never admitted to in the 4.0 patch notes. Heavens no... that could potentially cut into their CM profits with people buying gambling packs to try to get decorations! If they can get so many decorations in game for free, that doesn't give them more money! Edited by AscendingSky

got one on Taris yesterday, so they are still around. But you're right, was my first one in almost 7 months...

I got this one last week as well from the second heroic, also got the Nar Shaddaa one a few weeks before that as well. So can confirm they do still drop as loot OP, just not as often as they once did when they first came out.

I have had two drop this week, both random drops from mobs.

So, yeah.. they do still drop, but the drop rate is much lower then when they were introduced.

There is good and bad to this.

The bad is they drop less frequently, so farming for them is tedious.

The good is they are readily available on the GTN.. and prices are generally a few hundred K now, rather then people dumping them on the GTN for 10K because they dropped way too profusely back in the day.

They drastically cut the drop rate on them at the same time they drastically cut the drop rate of decorations from flashpoints. Because God forbid EAWare not add to the existing inflation of the in-game economy by making items even more rare in a stealth change that was never admitted to in the 4.0 patch notes. Heavens no... that could potentially cut into their CM profits with people buying gambling packs to try to get decorations! If they can get so many decorations in game for free, that doesn't give them more money!

The drop rate was not reduced, the underlying problem was never addressed since the change. Way back when, the devs changed to loot system so that boss mobs couldn't be farmed by characters outside of the mobs level range. When a high level character kills a lower level mobs, it will only drop green loot, with the rare occasional blue. This was to keep max level players from farming low level champion spawns.

Not long after that, the devs created the super XP leveling and eventually level sync, however the loot and mobs were never fixed. For the purposes of loot, the game still sees you as your real level. This is why those decos and virtually all rare named loot drop rates have plummeted. As most players are way out of range to even get the opportunity to loot those items. So items with already low drop rates, now have have virtually no one capable of looting them.

The only current remedy is to do those heroics or boss mobs with a character that is in the same level range as the npc/Heroic without level sync.

Edited by Darkside

I appreciate all the replies. I'll try doing the boss fights with an appropriate level character, tho that is difficult considering I leave coruscant 5 or 6 levels too high, if not a lot more. It's gotten to where we outlevel all content on our starter planets and it jsut gets worse and worse. I have a scoundrel who is still on Taris for story, who is level 62. Becasue I ran a few flashpoints and 1 raid. That's ridiculous. I would stop all this xp as soon as possible. But instead, they give us more.

I have no idea how they will fix it so farming doesn't happen, and still satisfy regular players, when they keep increasing xp (the only cheap thing they can give away).

I also don't seem to be able to get a devs attention no matter, and people are cheating their hearts out in other areas like Zakuul. Since most of their names have some verson of asdasd in them, I am sure they are gold sellers, but cheating as they are, without any action from bioware, is incomprehensible.

after subbing since launch, and finding less and less in the way of rewards for any efford, I am not questioning why I would want to be loyal, when they aren't. Well, that went off topic.

but it's like everyrhing else. They changed it supposedly to help us, and we get screwed but the gold farmers are still working out just fine. *sigh* They don't listen.

That's probably old returning players who had them in storage from before.

It is almost certainly that, since they are ultra rare drops now.

The only way to obtain them outside the GTN is to be *at* the level of the world you're on, which rarely happens anymore. It's so easy to level that usually you're going to arrive on planets overlevelling the content there, and be ineligible for datacron drops. If you don't overlevel the content on the planet, you will after completing a couple quests.

The window for obtaining a datacron is either very short or non-existant, combined with the datacrons being locked behind dice rolls.

You're lucky if more than one datacron drops while levelling up a character. At the very least Bioware should drop the level requirement for when decorations show up as loot.

The only reason why datacrons haven't vanished completely from the GTN is that they used to be very common drops, and savvy players stocked up on them when they were dirt cheap knowing that the drop rate would be reduced. So you have GTN players with hundreds of them in their cargo bay, and they list them on the GTN in drips and drops, marked up of course because they're no longer easily obtained by running content.

I'm all for players making credits by playing the GTN, but not when the trade off is putting control of an item near entirely in their hands.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

The drop rate was not reduced, the underlying problem was never addressed since the change. Way back when, the devs changed to loot system so that boss mobs couldn't be farmed by characters outside of the mobs level range. When a high level character kills a lower level mobs, it will only drop green loot, with the rare occasional blue. This was to keep max level players from farming low level champion spawns.

Not long after that, the devs created the super XP leveling and eventually level sync, however the loot and mobs were never fixed. For the purposes of loot, the game still sees you as your real level. This is why those decos and virtually all rare named loot drop rates have plummeted. As most players are way out of range to even get the opportunity to loot those items. So items with already low drop rates, now have have virtually no one capable of looting them.

The only current remedy is to do those heroics or boss mobs with a character that is in the same level range as the npc/Heroic without level sync.

This bug has finally screwed up the Star Fortresses.

Heroic SFs are level 70, but they only drop loot from the Exarch if you're level 65. Why? Because aaaaaaaaah!