The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Quality of gear in crates are the problem, not quantity.

McHondy

Agreed except for when I get a bit burned out in which case I take a break for a while, catch up on some other games. I may or may not pay during this period ( I like to keep up on my daily GTN stuff either way ) but point is a lot of people sound like they could do with a break from the game or they're just going to get angrier and angrier...

Yeah, this is a wise advice. If you're feeling negative all the time, maybe you could use a break from this game.

Play other MMORPGs (ESO, GW2, TSW, FF XIV, WOW, etc) or play single player game (I'm looking forward to ME: Andromeda personally so maybe I'll unsub to focus playing it on April). Maybe it'll make you miss the game... or not.

Either way, it's better than spewing negativity all over the forums, scaring away new/returning players with exaggerating doom and gloom posts. :)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People can argue the actual rate I suppose but after reading his posts in the PvP bolster discussion I completely agree with Snave that the real problem is that the set bonus gear is back-loaded in the current system, in that you may not even end up with a full set by 300.

It makes much more sense to me to front-load the sets so you get the complete set relatively quickly and then the rest of CXP is improving the sets. TUXs' suggestion handles that nicely.

PVP is half the problem to having a gear system since they separated it out. Should have been left as it was or no gearing for PVP - just skill and ping. Simple solution one would think.

You could of course take the "no gearing" for PVP a step further and give players a stat pool to play with but end result is everyone has the same amount of stats to spend etc. so there is no "I'm better than you because I did NiM ops and got better gear".

PVP is half the problem to having a gear system since they separated it out. Should have been left as it was or no gearing for PVP - just skill and ping. Simple solution one would think.

You could of course take the "no gearing" for PVP a step further and give players a stat pool to play with but end result is everyone has the same amount of stats to spend etc. so there is no "I'm better than you because I did NiM ops and got better gear".

Or just set Bolster to 250 and let people decide their stat mix by their choice of mod types. But no, apparently that was a high priority thing to nerf.

Statement: I myself was disappointed at initial release. I was expecting what was said in the streams: "Each crate will drop a random guaranteed set bonus item so that players who don't get to play more than an hour or two don't have to wait a week to have a chance of getting a single gear piece while rolling against other players for a piece. Players will get multiple crates within an hour at best so that time doesn't feel wasted and there is an increased chance at getting a full set."

Admission: That expectation, however, was not something I should have had, as I knew good and well that anything was subject to change.

Assurance: What was released was not something that would make me rage quit and quit the game. I will be subscribed and play this game until either I, or it, dies.

Assumption: I can only assume that the initial release was set to not have it too easy to get command crates and set bonus gear. Unfortunately it ended up being a bit more than expected. There may have also been the expectation of only one new tier of set bonus gear, rather than three. I saw every stream and got the impression that there was just the one new tier.

Reassurance: The developers are definitely on the right track (have been since 4.0 imo). Keep up the excellent work and communication.

The content of the Crates is something we are looking into as well. Keep the feedback coming.

-eric

This has always been my issue with the crates. If greens are an upgrade by the time you hit tier 3, then there is a serious problem with the loot table.

My solution to the whole issue has always been a simple one.

Instead of dropping greens in tier 3 you should drop 230 tier as the base trash loot. Then we wouldn't have a need for this "simpler" gearing system. Mid level gear in tier 3 should be 236. 2 birds 1 stone . I'm now taking a bow. You are all welcome.

I have some other words of wisdom for the devs. Stop holding on to failed systems you create. And listen to the community. We told you from the start we wouldn't be happy with rng. You didn't listen. We also told you no new ops was bad as well. You didn't listen.

Who do you make this game for?

There should be a premium rate for disintegrating certificates for reputation that you've already maxed. ( say 5x what they pay out now if maxed) - Czerka, Makeb, THORN etc..... please, those were maxxed out years ago....

Ditch the orange armour shells. At least put some decent mods in them.

As for the jawa junk at 10 CXP a time - what's 10 CXP each when you're in tier 2 and need ~4K to go up a rank. It's completely worthless as CXP gain and worthless as junk.

If the loot table could look up what you have and what you may need, it might go some way to being exciting..... But I expect that's beyond what it normally does : i.e. just chose x number of items from a static list.

Or just set Bolster to 250 and let people decide their stat mix by their choice of mod types. But no, apparently that was a high priority thing to nerf.

Yeah except people would still complain about having to get the differing mod types most likely. Easier to remove gear altogether. ;)

Ditch the orange armour shells. At least put some decent mods in them.

I find those prticularly strange as well. While I am a player who cares about the looks of my characters and consider a lot of stuff, I have no idea from the look of the boots or bracers what a given set of armour is going to look like. Given the sheer amount of armour pieces there are, it's not very likely that one actually manages to collect a matching set of equipment within 300 levels, even if they might be interested in it. The likelyhood to collect something that I actually like is so minuscule that one might describe them as non-existent.

However, if I have the choice between a handful of command experience or 20k credits (which is about the price for which this crap sells) I take the command experience. (I might be interested in buying stuff if they have something I like, but i rather wait until there is an overview on Torfashion, so I get an overview. I am certainly not interested in selling the stuff I happen to find, unless the prices go up to something in the range of at least 200k credits for a piece.)

So, even though I am a player who might be interested in apperal without game stats, I disintegrate those all the time. It's just not worth the effort.

The content of the Crates is something we are looking into as well. Keep the feedback coming.

-eric

- no more random class empty orange shells. No, it's not 'exciting' to get a lightsaber as a smuggler. We've got tons of cheap cosmetics on GTN + the alliance crates.

- no more random rep boosters. Those of us who care about the reps know how to get them. Those who don't - they need them even less

- gifts? may be, sometimes.As a bonus to the 'basic' gear reward, not instead of. Top-tier, suited for the current\most recent companion.

- decorations? May be, sometimes.As a bonus to the 'basic' gear reward.

Now, The Gear.

You've trapped yourself with this random-box-system, and you know it. It can't be fixed no matter how hard you try. Basically you need to redesign the entire thing to make it work.

- The gear must be guaranteed A seemingly 'perfect' solution to make it 1 item per crate would make it way too fast. Especially since you're about to increase the CXP flow. A week of the 'fractured' farming might end in full T3. I don't think that providing this option is on your list, and it's not my job to give you a solution for your mess. But just accept it as a fact - the player must be 100% aware of when and how they are going to get their upgrades, and that does NOT involve 1d20 luck throws

- the gear must not be random.. And that includes the full controll over the gearing process. I need an option to decide which piece is going to be upgraded and how. E.g. yesterday night I was 'rewarded' with a healing relic. I'm yet to see a healer who picks the tiny HOT over the power+mastery. Or. I'm a DPS collecting the tank-gear. I open the box while DPS-specced - I'm screwed, there's no way to revert the loot.

Now, the fun part! Guess what kind of system provides both features? Riiiight.The tokens. In case you've missed it - PvP already got their totally-not-warzone-commendations back. And you've even added an extra currency (which is practically useless at the moment).

It's up to the team, of course, but the only way I see it working is to remove all the T gear from the boxes and adjust the reasonable rate of 'totally-not-crystals' per CXP level and prices per item. T2&T3 must also be on the list (might need some 'totally-not-another-tier-of-crystals' back too, yknow). :D

Edited by NRieh

Indeed. 300 crates is literally 250 greens, a bunch of blues and very few set pieces. They should get rid of A mods for DPS too... Like they did in 4.0. Why did they bring them back again for 5.0 blue gear? Edited by DarthZaul

Replace All items Armour pieces, Ear Implant and Relics with unassembled items please. Getting the wrong type of stats you want just adds to the frustration.

What's worse is when you're a PvP player and you get relic drops that are useless in PvP because they don't proc. I have no idea why they didn't just patch out that issue and why they made new endgame relics that don't proc in PvP.

I find those prticularly strange as well. While I am a player who cares about the looks of my characters and consider a lot of stuff, I have no idea from the look of the boots or bracers what a given set of armour is going to look like. Given the sheer amount of armour pieces there are, it's not very likely that one actually manages to collect a matching set of equipment within 300 levels, even if they might be interested in it. The likelyhood to collect something that I actually like is so minuscule that one might describe them as non-existent.

However, if I have the choice between a handful of command experience or 20k credits (which is about the price for which this crap sells) I take the command experience. (I might be interested in buying stuff if they have something I like, but i rather wait until there is an overview on Torfashion, so I get an overview. I am certainly not interested in selling the stuff I happen to find, unless the prices go up to something in the range of at least 200k credits for a piece.)

So, even though I am a player who might be interested in apperal without game stats, I disintegrate those all the time. It's just not worth the effort.

There's the rub. You don't save the armor until you see it on Tor Fashion, but Tor Fashion can't show it until we have it collected which goes 10x faster when people sell it for reasonable prices on the GTN. Exile has tier 1 collected, but she doesn't have the time to screenshot it (she has fashion pages for a number of other MMOs.). I have the time, but people on the Shadowlands are not often selling for prices I can afford. I've only been working on tier 1, I can't imagine what people are selling tier 2&3 for :eek:

So here's my take on it - as a casual player.

The idea of providing meaningful rewards for any type of game content you choose to play - is IMO a good idea. I think the implementation of that was mostly good with the exception of two things. The speed of getting the GC crates, and what's in the crates themselves. I appreciate that BW is listening to player feedback and is willing to make changes to both of those items. Speeding up the crate drop will help to motivate players to play content IMO. I like several suggestions in this thread in regards to whats in the crates themselves. Particularly that the crates include unassembled components. If the crates contained legacy bound unassembled components it would eliminate the frustration of duplicate pieces of gear, and make gearing and also playing alts much more rewarding.

My current experience so far with 5.X is that most of my usable gear has come from OPS drops and it's been supplemented by GC crates. I'd say it's a 3:1 ratio in my play through. I feel like I need to play OPS for any reasonable chance to gear up.

I'm really glad that the devs are looking into this.

The crux of what I want to see are increased, fair chances to acquire items that will improve my character. I want to be excited to open a command crate, not dreading it because I know I'm going to be disappointed. If you're going to go the RNG route, do it in a way that benefits the player and makes them want to keep playing. Fishing in a giant sea of pennies in hopes of finding one gold coin just isn't fun. Ditto for cartel market packs while we're at it.

As for the content of the crates:

1. No greens for any tier. You can keep blues in Tier 1 if you like, but also make starting gear easier to acquire.

2. Keep reputation items. I rather like being able to get those without having to grind every faction for it.

3. For gifts, provide us with a currency we can use to exchange for them like it was before with the gift fragments. This allows us to choose the gifts we want for the character's we want to advance. Be generous with it since we have a giant boatload of companions now.

4. Increase drop rate for legendaries for Tier 2, and especially 3.

Edited by Fygee

There should be a premium rate for disintegrating certificates for reputation that you've already maxed. ( say 5x what they pay out now if maxed) - Czerka, Makeb, THORN etc..... please, those were maxxed out years ago....

This, or at least make them a stack of 5 or something, same thing with companion gifts.

/Sigh.

The issue is with the loot tables that drive the crates... NOT the crates themselves.

That may sound like a nit to some....but in reality there are productive ways to discuss and petition changes from the studio... and accuracy and objectivity are important ingredients in any effort.

Further..... most players have no use for tier 1 gear and I do believe the studio should simply remove tier 1s (since crafters can easily craft 228s with vendor recipes and easy to aquire materials, and there is not much difference between 228s and 230s), and flatten the loot tables some as well as adjust drop rates on set bonus items. .

I might be repeating others' ideas here--sorry but I only skimmed posts...

Gear drops: I would ditch specific items that drop. Every crate should drop unassembled components (like PvP). This way, every crate works towards a piece of gear you want. Also, there could be unassembled gear drops. This way, you can decide if you want your healer/dps/tank set-bonus without having to be in that discipline when you open the crate. If you get a dup hand/etc. piece, you can use it for another spec. If you get a left-side item, you can decide which variety fits into your stat allocations. More importantly, both of these changes allow you to gear alts. I don't think that blues need to disappear entirely, if these changes are made. If components are added, valor requirements would have to be removed to use them.

Schematics: really, does anyone really want/craft static gear? I disintegrate all schematics for static armor/weapons.

Gifts: IMHO, just hand out multiple legendary (rank 6) gifts like candy. Given how many of these you need, 5 or 10 gifts per crate would be appreciated.

Cosmetic gear: I don't think there's any reason to eliminate these, however, these are instant disintegrates for me. Maybe if they could drop bound cartel items like what the DvL crates dropped, it might make them more desirable.

Rep tokens: not a big deal, but drop lots more of them, not just a single one.

Jawa Junk: I only keep the purple stuff, but even that is somewhat useless until grade 10 mats are added to the vendors (will they be added, Eric?) I don't cmpletely mind the green and blues--they are good for a good chunk of CXP :)