Thanks for Malavai Quinn. <3 <3 <3 This is a love thread, haters make your own lol.

Lunafox

Absolutely :). I've never had a problem with character's having conflicted loyalties, and I went into the SW storyline pre warned. I expected not to get that attached, but then I found I really warmed to him, which sucked because I knew what was coming :D Despite being warned I took it surprisingly hard. My character may have avoided their ships cockpit for awhile :D

He just always seemed so genuine (in his approach towards the SW), before and after the `betrayal`. The problem for my guy wasn't conflicting loyalties (if any character gets that it would be the SW especially where master's are concerned) but it was the question if there was a friendship/loyalty or if they were just projecting. Conflicting loyalties are acceptable, deluded/ one-sided attachment is not :D

I agree, betrayal is one thing, you are sith after all, it would be far from the first or last time you experienced that.

But the idea that the whole relationship was fake? Founded on a lie so Quinn could play double agent for Baras? That thought really hurt. The whole betrayal scene where you can choose to say, "I thought our relationship was real. I thought we cared about each other."

That was heavy, because you realize Quinn was never really fully devoted to you, and you have to wonder how much of the relationship was a lie?

Honestly I think that's why I like the romance so much though. It's ****ed up in a lot of ways, but it's interesting and has depth. Most people who complain about it talk about what a bad relationship it is, but you're sith and you live in a war-torn galaxy with some of the biggest players in the universe messing with you. Of course things will be messy, but it's a compelling narrative.

I'm in the NO camp, as I believe that Quinn is loyal to a fault. It is who he is. Once Baras was gone then Quinn's loyalty went to the Warrior. Then when the Warrior vanished, Quinn was un-anchored (which would have been a very difficult time for him) which is why he spent years looking for the Warrior. Then he was incarcerated. Then Empress Acina came on the scene and Quinn fell back into his old habit of loyalty to a new Master. However, all along the Warrior had precedence in Quinn's loyalty, so when the Warrior reappeared - he was like a flash, back at the Warrior's side again (even changing factions to be with the Warrior). His loyalty to an individual clearly trumped his prior loyalty to the Empire faction. Remember his actual words - “I’m finished with the Empire."

My Fan Fiction take on Quinn's loyalty can be found here.

I would agree in some ways, but disagree in others.

I don't see Quinn having loyalty just passed from person to person out of obligation, I believe he ultimately always feels bound to serve the empire in whatever way is best for the Empire.

(This is all just my opinion)

His betrayal of you to Darth Baras was partially due to what he owed Baras, but I feel ultimately founded in the fact that he truly believed in Baras's vision. His comments on the Emperor being an Absentee landlord register as sincere. I think the reason his loyalty shifts to you (and for the record I think it shifts after you beat the droids not after Baras is gone) is because when you spare him he realizes what you could really signify for the Empire.

If you play LS Warrior (not as in a "good guy" but in the "Pro-Empire" not insane murderer way) it's mentioned more than once that Mercy/compassion is a useful tool and likely necessary to help make the Empire stronger and reform it. I imagine that he saw that much needed trait in you and realized at last that you are the best hope for making the Empire greater. I imagine for a non-force using Imperial seeing a Sith that isn't full of bloodlust would be a relief.

So I've by no means read the entire thread, but I had read through several posts while I was still a lurker, and I saw a discussion here (and in some reddit threads as well) I thought I'd like to entertain again if anyone is interested.

In simple terms the ultimate question would be:

"Did Malavai actually betray you?"

I've seen people on both sides makes various arguments and I was just curious what others thought. I'll elaborate on my own opinion later if anyone is interested.For reference though, examples of some of the stances I"ve seen others take would be:

NO: He was never loyal to you until after the betrayal, as he was ultimately Baras's agent up to that point

YES: He betrayed you, wanted you to die and Baras to suceed, and now is just sucking up to keep you from killing him.

My personal take is: neither.

He was loyal both to SW and to Baras, because it was the same until Baras went after you. Also, in my story Malavai was on Quesh with my SW, so he'd die there too, if the collapse killed her as planned. He was never a part of Baras's big plan to get rid of his apprentice. He was disposable.

He remained loyal, until Baras came to him after Draagh failed TWICE to kill you. Baras was left with no options than to reach out to someone who owed him a lot and could be made do his dirty deeds. Then Baras manipulated him into turning against you playing on his guilt, loyalty, feeding him lies and knowing very well where to hit to get a reaction he wanted.

Malavai, trapped between a Sith and a fat Sith, tried to fulfil his duty by doing his job, but poorly, so satisfying both (in his own mind).

NO: He was never loyal to you until after the betrayal, as he was ultimately Baras's agent up to that point

YES: He betrayed you, wanted you to die and Baras to suceed, and now is just sucking up to keep you from killing him.

This is always interesting. From my perspective, I think Quinn was loyal to Baras until he fell in love with the Warrior and then was forced into acting due to Baras reminding him of his where his loyalty should be (and probably also involved a bit of Sith mind-frelling to force Quinn to go against the warrior. I don't think Baras ever expected uptight and loyal servant to be capable of falling in love). The whole betrayal thing was far worse when you had no clue it's coming like I did way back years ago. I rage quit the game for at least a couple of years!

This is always interesting. From my perspective, I think Quinn was loyal to Baras until he fell in love with the Warrior and then was forced into acting due to Baras reminding him of his where his loyalty should be (and probably also involved a bit of Sith mind-frelling to force Quinn to go against the warrior. I don't think Baras ever expected uptight and loyal servant to be capable of falling in love). The whole betrayal thing was far worse when you had no clue it's coming like I did way back years ago. I rage quit the game for at least a couple of years!

I didn't rage quit, but I was heartbroken. I gave him tons of gifts, just because I adored him, and then that happened after we'd gotten married. I had heard talk of a betrayal, but silly me, I thought, 'oh he won't betray me, I gave him gifts and we're married now.' Ha. But yeah, the first time through hurt.

I think I side with Lammia's thoughts on his loyalty, although in my mind Baras wouldn't be shocked if Quinn had a romantic relationship, he probably just wouldn't care. I could imagine a scene though of Quinn talking admiringly of the Warrior, Baras picking up on it, and then trying to manipulate the relationship to his advantage.

I think at the beginning it wasn't really you or Baras as far as loyalty goes. It was Baras by default, because of their history, but you were an extension of that as you were also loyal to Baras, or at the very least serving his interests. It's only down the road that he's forced to actually decide where his loyalties lie.

The timeline I've always had in my head is below:

Malavai is loyal to Baras, then you enter the picture (also presumably loyal to Baras) and at first it's all flowers and rainbows. He is initially disinterested in a relationship with you due to his extreme professionalism, but after spending time with you he grows to respect and admire your power and (at least in my canon) your ability to reshape and improve the Empire. Because it's still warm fuzzies all around he allows himself to slip and grow attached to you (perhaps even urged on by Baras who would have liked Quinn to be as close as possible), and only after a very real relationship has formed does Baras call in the favor.

Malavai is torn, and full of self-loathing. He blames himself for even getting attached to begin with, and as an overcompensation to his extreme emotions forces himself to remove his personal feelings from the equation entirely. Loving you was a breach of conduct, if he's going to act in the interests of the Empire he needs to be logical. Everything he's known about Baras before he met you was good, Baras has proven to Malavai what he's capable of, and Malavai had already pledged loyalty to his cause. There is no logical reason to go back on that, certainly not just because it would make Malavai happy. Quinn has always been willing to sacrifice his own self-interest, and you are a self-interest that should have never happened in his mind.

I imagine with a heavy heart Quinn planned machines capable of real destruction, the way he effortlessly incapacitates your other companions certainly shows the skill required. But at the last moment he couldn't bring himself to go through with it, but he also couldn't go back on his loyalty to Baras. The machines are powerful, but not lethal and then he springs the "trap". He puts on a good show to make it convincing, he owes Baras that much and it will make it easier for the Warrior to move on. He then launches the attack and waits for the inevitable.

But... things don't go according to plan. You kill the droids, but not him. At first he can't even comprehend what's happening. He's spent his entire career around Sith, his death was a certainty, but now that he's sitting there alive he actually allows himself to reflect on what's happening.

Baras would have never let him live. Baras wouldn't have done a lot of things the Warrior did. Malavai pledged himself to Baras because he thought he could make the Empire better, but he finally let's himself realize the error of that. Baras wants to kill you, and you've only done right by the Empire and Malavai. The whole time your character was really the who had earned Quinn's loyalty,, and he wouldn't let himself acknowledge it. He had feared it was his own feelings clouding his judgement. His mind is clear now, but it's come at a great cost. He has betrayed his lover and possibly the greatest hope for a better future.

He now dedicates himself to making amends. He still deeply loves the Warrior but fears to believe that such a relationship is still possible. Then you go missing. He wants nothing more than to see you, and stand by your side, prove his devotion in whatever way you'll allow, but he can't find you despite the desperate lengths he goes to.

The next time he see's you that self-loathing and guilt resurfaces. You're there, but you're doing fine, without him. What if you don't care about him anymore? What if you're better off without him? He shouldn't assume he still means anything to you, and he considers his own desires selfish.

It's only after the meeting at Iokath when you both re-affirm your feelings for one another that he breathes easy. He still has regrets about the past, but he knows the love you share is real, and his mistake didn't cost him everything.

I was able to get over the betrayal because I had heard whispers (although it was still partially a surprise) and also because I understood his motivations. Even if you want to believe the droids were meant to kill you, It was clear Quinn always tried to act in the best interest of the Empire. Since my character was also being played as a very "patriotic" pro-empire character it was hard to fault Quinn's decision even if it hurt and had negative consequences on their relationship.

My ragequit came when I learned the new expansion meant I had to say goodbye to all my old companions.

EDIT: Made some slight formatting adjustments and clarified some points above

Edited by Karameck

I was able to get over the betrayal because I had heard whispers (although it was still partially a surprise) and also because I understood his motivations. Even if you want to believe the droids were meant to kill you, It was clear Quinn always tried to act in the best interest of the Empire. Since my character was also being played as a very "patriotic" pro-empire character it was hard to fault Quinn's decision even if it hurt and had negative consequences on their relationship.

Yet, if your Sith Warrior (Alliance Commander) chooses to ally with the Republic and forgives Quinn his latest trangressions, Quinn abandons the Empire, walks away from all he has believed in and worked towards, walks away from his military career, his connections, everything - in order to be with the Warrior. This means that the Empire, an Empire he used to wholly believe in no longer mattered to him, only the Warrior mattered - perhaps Quinn had transferred his loyalty from an idea/ideal to an individual.

If that is the case, then what drew Quinn back to the Warrior? Certainly love would be a very powerful motivator (if he was the love interest) but for an utterly dedicated officer of the Empire, love alone would not be sufficient. I believe that there were two other reasons. The first reason is that his old loyalty to the Warrior still held sway upon him. The second reason is Empress Acina's unsuccessful attempt to grasp power from Iokath. I believe that it was at the moment of her death when the scales dropped from Quinn's eyes as to what true horrors his Empire were capable of. Perhaps then he decided, in his pragmatic and logical way, that the Alliance now held the virtues that he had previously attributed to the Empire - which is why he was able to say "I’m finished with the Empire". He had realised that the Alliance was his future and his true path (even if incarcerated), and reuniting with the Warrior (who was the Alliance Commander) was no longer a selfish, self-serving act, but rather a noble and patriotic act, with the added benefit of being properly reunited with the one person whom he truly loved.

Edited by AureliaSulis

Yet, if your Sith Warrior (Alliance Commander) chooses to ally with the Republic and forgives Quinn his latest trangressions, Quinn abandons the Empire, walks away from all he has believed in and worked towards, walks away from his military career, his connections, everything - in order to be with the Warrior. This means that the Empire, an Empire he used to wholly believe in no longer mattered to him, only the Warrior mattered - perhaps Quinn had transferred his loyalty from an idea/ideal to an individual.

If that is the case, then what drew Quinn back to the Warrior? Certainly love would be a very powerful motivator (if he was the love interest) but for an utterly dedicated officer of the Empire, love alone would not be sufficient. I believe that there were two other reasons. The first reason is that his old loyalty to the Warrior still held sway upon him. The second reason is Empress Acina's unsuccessful attempt to grasp power from Iokath. I believe that it was at the moment of her death when the scales dropped from Quinn's eyes as to what true horrors his Empire were capable of. Perhaps then he decided, in his pragmatic and logical way, that the Alliance now held the virtues that he had previously attributed to the Empire - which is why he was able to say "I’m finished with the Empire". He had realised that the Alliance was his future and his true path (even if incarcerated), and reuniting with the Warrior (who was the Alliance Commander) was no longer a selfish, self-serving act, but rather a noble act, with the added benefit of being properly reunited with the one person who he truly loved.

There's a lot of ways this could go, for starters the Empire you reawake to really isn't the Empire anymore. At least not the one anyone signed up for.

Quinn specifically is described as believing in the Empire's efficiency and power. If it had been de-stabilized to the point that it was just a tool for some ego-maniacal Sith to seize personal power, it's none of that. So Quinn could be disillusioned with it's current state, and believe the Alliance is the best hope for the Galatic power he sought to support.

Or depending on how you play your character he could see in you the chance to reform and rebuild the Empire.

Or with Acina dead the empire is not an option, and he simply is honorable enough that he feels he should face you in person for what he's done and accept the consequences.

Personally I don't see him ever having a moment of saying "Wow, I didn't know the Empire would go that far. This isn't a cause I believe in anymore." This is a man who is not above murder if it's for the greater good. I think that he would only walk away if he felt there was no other choice, or the alternative would serve his vision of the galaxy better.

EDIT: I guess on another point you raised it is an interesting question. Ultimately, is Quinn's loyalty to you or the Empire?

I think the fact that he follows you regardless of your Allegiance would imply it's to you as you pointed out in your post, however there all alternative explanations as I stated above. Ultimately on the question as to where his loyalty truly lies, I would have to say to the Empire, BUT the way I've always viewed him as a character he would never fall for someone who ultimately didn't serve those same ideals. Even if you aren't committed to THE Empire I can't imagine Quinn truly loving someone who didn't share his vision of the galaxy to some degree. I think it's just so ingrained in who he is.

So for me his loyalty would be to you AND the Empire, but I don't think you could ever remove the Empire from that equation.

Obviously the above is highly subjective, but to me having Quinn romance someone who's not Pro-Empire just doesn't make sense. I could imagine a fling, but not a marriage under that circumstance.

Edited by Karameck

I didn't rage quit, but I was heartbroken. I gave him tons of gifts, just because I adored him, and then that happened after we'd gotten married. I had heard talk of a betrayal, but silly me, I thought, 'oh he won't betray me, I gave him gifts and we're married now.' Ha. But yeah, the first time through hurt.

This was the issue I had totally unexpectedly (because I avoided spoilers) as I'd had my character marry Quinn before I knew anything about any betrayal to come. When I found out I was furious that such a lovely romance was to be ruined. This was my second character and the Quinn romance was so much better/nicer than the Andronikos romance which I had done on my former main. It's different now - the Quinncident happens before marrying so there's a period when you can forgive him (like all true Quinnmancers do). I rage quit before I knew any of that.

EDIT: I know many of us Quinnmancers have been vocal about the new Rishi stronghold - has anyone else seen it since the latest pts patch? They have gone above and beyond with improvements to make it somewhere we might actually like. I am really surprised as some of my suggestions made it into the changes. I have to buy it now. It's been hugely improved and I think I can now make it a place worthy of both Prince Consort Major Quinn and Mr Shan.

Edited by Sarova

This was the issue I had totally unexpectedly (because I avoided spoilers) as I'd had my character marry Quinn before I knew anything about any betrayal to come. When I found out I was furious that such a lovely romance was to be ruined. This was my second character and the Quinn romance was so much better/nicer than the Andronikos romance which I had done on my former main. It's different now - the Quinncident happens before marrying so there's a period when you can forgive him (like all true Quinnmancers do). I rage quit before I knew any of that.

EDIT: I know many of us Quinnmancers have been vocal about the new Rishi stronghold - has anyone else seen it since the latest pts patch? They have gone above and beyond with improvements to make it somewhere we might actually like. I am really surprised as some of my suggestions made it into the changes. I have to buy it now. It's been hugely improved and I think I can now make it a place worthy of both Prince Consort Major Quinn and Mr Shan.

Now that the betrayal isn't so fresh, do you still feel like it "ruined" the romance?

Personally I feel that scene really adds depth to Quinn's character and makes the entire romance so much more interesting than the other companions you are given. What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger and all that.

Edited by Karameck

I'm happy about what they did for the stronghold, and I love the little bridge and ramp that leads to the beach. That was my suggestion and I'm totally naming it Luna's Bridge lol. :p

I'm just wondering if anyone has received ingame letters from Quinn after the events on Iokath?

My LS Sith Warrior (Quinn is her LI) got one after completing the Crisis on Umbara flashpoint, but has received nothing since. I thought there was another letter(s) from Quinn about settling into Alliance HQ but for some reason my Warrior never received it. My character has yet to do the Nathema Conspiracy, so I'm wondering if more letters appear after that?

I'm just wondering if anyone has received ingame letters from Quinn after the events on Iokath?

My LS Sith Warrior (Quinn is her LI) got one after completing the Crisis on Umbara flashpoint, but has received nothing since. I thought there was another letter(s) from Quinn about settling into Alliance HQ but for some reason my Warrior never received it. My character has yet to do the Nathema Conspiracy, so I'm wondering if more letters appear after that?

I've gotten 2 letters since Iokath. One right away just generally professing his love, and then a second that discusses the "actions" Theron took.

You get Quinn's love letter if you are a Warrior and romanced Quinn or the friendship letter if he's not an LI and joins your alliance. I'm pretty sure my main Sorcerer got a letter from Quinn thanking her for allowing him to join but I might have made this up (I remember getting a mail from Quinn that talked about the alliance and him being sorry to hear of Vette's death, but I can't be sure who that letter came to). The next letter you get as a warrior is after Umbara regarding Theron's actions & Quinn's desire to see you ring his neck (or something).

You get Quinn's love letter if you are a Warrior and romanced Quinn or the friendship letter if he's not an LI and joins your alliance. I'm pretty sure my main Sorcerer got a letter from Quinn thanking her for allowing him to join but I might have made this up (I remember getting a mail from Quinn that talked about the alliance and him being sorry to hear of Vette's death, but I can't be sure who that letter came to). The next letter you get as a warrior is after Umbara regarding Theron's actions & Quinn's desire to see you ring his neck (or something).

My Warrior got the post-Umbara letter, but the only letter she got before that (after she vanished) was the letter from Quinn telling her how much he missed her and that he was going to search the galaxy for her until it killed him. There was no other letter post-Iokath. I think BioWare dudded my warrior out of a letter. Might submit a bug report.

My Warrior got the post-Umbara letter, but the only letter she got before that (after she vanished) was the letter from Quinn telling her how much he missed her and that he was going to search the galaxy for her until it killed him. There was no other letter post-Iokath. I think BioWare dudded my warrior out of a letter. Might submit a bug report.
Here's a picture of all the messages I have recieved from him after the start of KOTFE

https://imgur.com/a/Na5qxdh

I think you only get Quinn's Iokath letter if you side with Acina. I think we had lots of discussion about this and decided that it was probably to make up for the lack of screen time you get of Quinn as he's asked to stay and watch the base. If you side with Jace Malcolm you seen Quinn a lot more in the Iokath story as he advises Acina. I've been trying to find some info on the letters but I can't seem to find much decent info, not even on Dulfy.net. I managed to lose all my info on it. I usually keep screenshots of all letters but I must have accidentally deleted them :( (and my memory is terrible). We need some Quinn-expert opinion! Where's Luna?!

What setting do I need to make the letters appear on screen in full like yours do? I usually have to take a couple of shots to get everything in.
I just edited together like that. For the first two letters it took 2 screen captures each.

I think you only get Quinn's Iokath letter if you side with Acina. I think we had lots of discussion about this and decided that it was probably to make up for the lack of screen time you get of Quinn as he's asked to stay and watch the base. If you side with Jace Malcolm you seen Quinn a lot more in the Iokath story as he advises Acina. I've been trying to find some info on the letters but I can't seem to find much decent info, not even on Dulfy.net. I managed to lose all my info on it. I usually keep screenshots of all letters but I must have accidentally deleted them :( (and my memory is terrible). We need some Quinn-expert opinion! Where's Luna?!

Hmm, my Sith Warrior sided with the Republic so that might explain the absence of the Iokath letter. I just thought there was one kicking around where Quinn mentioned Vette (either alive or dead) and him settling into the Alliance Base. Anyway, I submitted a bug report and I'll see what comes of it.

I hope that the next expansion allows more interaction between Quinn and his Warrior - ideally proper conversations and perhaps even a quest line, but at the very least a letter or two.

Stories between Quinn/Sul are now on ice until new content comes through; however, I have been writing a prequel about how Sul and her three sisters' mum and dad met, and it's been a bit of fun doing that.

Hmm, my Sith Warrior sided with the Republic so that might explain the absence of the Iokath letter. I just thought there was one kicking around where Quinn mentioned Vette (either alive or dead) and him settling into the Alliance Base. Anyway, I submitted a bug report and I'll see what comes of it.

I hope that the next expansion allows more interaction between Quinn and his Warrior - ideally proper conversations and perhaps even a quest line, but at the very least a letter or two.

Stories between Quinn/Sul are now on ice until new content comes through; however, I have been writing a prequel about how Sul and her three sisters' mum and dad met, and it's been a bit of fun doing that.

As far as I know, no such letter exists. I've never heard of it and I've watched several videos of people playing through the romance (including Iokath) in which they include the letters at the end. I've only ever seen the 3 I posted above.

As far as I know, no such letter exists. I've never heard of it and I've watched several videos of people playing through the romance (including Iokath) in which they include the letters at the end. I've only ever seen the 3 I posted above.

It's the 'Settling In' letter on this page. It could be that only Warriors with no romance with Quinn get it which is a bit of a bugger. It would be great if BioWare wrote up a letter for Warriors who went Republic, who were the Alliance Commander (not Empress) and who romanced Quinn, but given everything else that people are asking of them, I doubt it would be high on their to-do list.

It's the 'Settling In' letter on this page. It could be that only Warriors with no romance with Quinn get it which is a bit of a bugger. It would be great if BioWare wrote up a letter for Warriors who went Republic, who were the Alliance Commander (not Empress) and who romanced Quinn, but given everything else that people are asking of them, I doubt it would be high on their to-do list.
Ah, that is new, always nice to see more of Quinn!

Now that I've seen it, definitely looks like it's for non-romanced Warriors. It's even described as a friendship letter below it.

It would make sense as well considering usually the letters go out based on certain points in the Story and the letter you receive is determined by your relationship, so this would just be swapped out for the romanced version where he professes his love for you. Both seem to serve the same purpose of establishing his role on your new team.

Edited by Karameck

Ah, that is new, always nice to see more of Quinn!

Now that I've seen it, definitely looks like it's for non-romanced Warriors. It's even described as a friendship letter below it.

It would make sense as well considering usually the letters go out based on certain points in the Story and the letter you receive is determined by your relationship, so this would just be swapped out for the romanced version where he professes his love for you. Both seem to serve the same purpose of establishing his role on your new team.

I guess that Warriors who have the romance, are Alliance Commanders, and choose Republic get the equivalent of the letter in the dialogue scene at the end of Iokath where Quinn surrenders to the Alliance. Still, it would have been nice to have something tangible as well to reread at leisure.