Thanks for Malavai Quinn. <3 <3 <3 This is a love thread, haters make your own lol.

Lunafox

This is about as romantic as I've been able to capture in screenshots...thank goodness for latency and lag which allowed my character to move close enough to take the shots.

Those are lovely screenies and it's not easy to get them so close together. I wish that the companion wouldn't back away so quickly when you go near them, so that if you want to pose somewhere with them during play, you can.

Right now only way I can get a decent screenie is when my toon stands next to my love's decos in the houses.

I completed a picture before I started getting all the great reference images y'all linked, I thought I'd go ahead and share it with you guys.

New Pic

And I went ahead and made a DeviantArt page so I wasn't spamming up this thread with my pictures constantly. I only have a couple images up so far, but I'll keep any updated progress on that site for those interested. You can find the link in my signature! :)

Very cool! Love it!

I completed a picture before I started getting all the great reference images y'all linked, I thought I'd go ahead and share it with you guys.

New Pic

And I went ahead and made a DeviantArt page so I wasn't spamming up this thread with my pictures constantly. I only have a couple images up so far, but I'll keep any updated progress on that site for those interested. You can find the link in my signature! :)

Hey, great illustration there. You sure are talented. A long time ago in another life I used to be a halfway decent wildlife and botanical illustrator; however, I was crap at drawing people so I really admire artists who can draw the human form.

As for photos that particularly take my eye? Of those that I linked to I like these two the best.

This one

and

this one.

I really wouldn’t be interested in seeing anything explicitly sexual, but one of those two photos showing Quinn and the Warrior embracing with a multitude of foes lying dead at their feet would be massively cool.

Or perhaps even consider an illustration like this one with the mountains of Odessen as a background. :)

Those are lovely screenies and it's not easy to get them so close together. I wish that the companion wouldn't back away so quickly when you go near them, so that if you want to pose somewhere with them during play, you can.

This really needs to be a thing in game. Have we suggested this before? Emotes/commands specifically for companions? It can't be that hard to add - there is already a "dance with companion" command thing. It would be nice to have some emotes like "kiss companion" "hug companion" that carry out that action.

Coincidentally I created another 2 warriors (Amber & Skyla) last night to see if I can get that Iokath letter I mentioned. I managed to get a a close screenshot of Amber & Quinn - you do need a lot of patience for close screenshots that aren't part of a cut scene. This one was taken in Quinn's barracks (ahem) during your mission on Balmorra.

Edited by Sarova

Hey, great illustration there. You sure are talented. A long time ago in another life I used to be a halfway decent wildlife and botanical illustrator; however, I was crap at drawing people so I really admire artists who can draw the human form.

As for photos that particularly take my eye? Of those that I linked to I like these two the best.

This one

and

this one.

I really wouldn’t be interested in seeing anything explicitly sexual, but one of those two photos showing Quinn and the Warrior embracing with a multitude of foes lying dead at their feet would be massively cool.

Or perhaps even consider an illustration like this one with the mountains of Odessen as a background. :)

Thanks, it’s mostly just practice. I’ve definitely got a lot of room to keep growing.

I like the suggestions, I’m not sure if my skill is at the point I could pull off a full scene yet, but I do like the ideas you gave. I’ve always specifically liked the fact that Quinn is described as “an excellent shot”. I like that you really are power couple, and a picture depicting that would certainly be nice if I could do it justice.

I really love hearing other people’s thoughts.

I have almost an entire Deviant art page dedicated to pictures of him.... some of them are poses if you want :)

Swtor screen shots

Also have the whole Quinn Sight Seeing thing on there too... but that is me just being silly :)

Those are great for references, thanks a lot! 😊

Just out of curiosity, since it seems to relate to the types of poses/references one might choose, how does everyone here envision the dynamic between Quinn and the Sith Warrior?

What I mean by that is, do you imagine a relationship where the Warrior is more dominant and Quinn submissive? One where both are strong willed and stubborn, but make concessions for each other? Is it an even relationship or does Quinn consider the Warrior as a goddess or some other elevated status?

Personally I always imagined Quinn to be slightly submissive in some respects. For example, especially at the beginning, it’s clear that the Warrior is the pursuer (or at the very least the only one willing to pursue at that time) and there are some romance dialogue options that have the Warrior being in charge. (EX. The Warrior can order Quinn to kiss her, Quinn likes it if the Warrior proposes first, etc…) However, I don’t picture this to be the case all the time. In my mind Quinn is typically passive in public because he is completely assured in himself and his choices. I think of it as what people often describe as “Quiet confidence” although it definitely takes on a submissive vibe when paired with his expressions of “My lord” and “As you wish”, the same attitude that leads Pierce to consider him a “bootlick”. I’d also assume that professionalism plays into his unwillingness to act passionately/aggressively in public.

On the flip side of that I like to believe that in private, where Quinn would consider it appropriate, he would comfortable taking charge and being assertive. Basically if I were to imagine different scenes between Quinn and the Warrior how they would interact would be largely dependent upon the location and degree of privacy. My head canon has always been that the Warrior essentially works in reverse. Due to being Sith and having many powerful people both after her, and working for her, she needs to constantly project power and strength. In a more comfortable setting I picture that slipping away and her taking the opportunity to not have to be guarded and aggressive. My (main) character does not take joy in bloodlust or violence, but doesn’t shy away from it either. She sees it as necessary to achieve her ends, and as part of her obligations to shape the Empire into something better.

Tl;dr The dynamic I imagine is Quinn being submissive in public, but assertive in private and the Warrior being the inverse of that.

NOTE: when I say private I don’t necessarily mean explicit, just any moment of privacy between Quinn and the Warrior.

Is it an even relationship or does Quinn consider the Warrior as a goddess or some other elevated status?

I think lately in the game there is some element of Quinn being in awe of her power, however...

On the flip side of that I like to believe that in private, where Quinn would consider it appropriate, he would comfortable taking charge and being assertive. Basically if I were to imagine different scenes between Quinn and the Warrior how they would interact would be largely dependent upon the location and degree of privacy. My head canon has always been that the Warrior essentially works in reverse. Due to being Sith and having many powerful people both after her, and working for her, she needs to constantly project power and strength. In a more comfortable setting I picture that slipping away and her taking the opportunity to not have to be guarded and aggressive. My (main) character does not take joy in bloodlust or violence, but doesn’t shy away from it either. She sees it as necessary to achieve her ends, and as part of her obligations to shape the Empire into something better.

Tl;dr The dynamic I imagine is Quinn being submissive in public, but assertive in private and the Warrior being the inverse of that

This is similar to my preferred view of Quinn and my warrior(s) (though my dark warriors do love their bloodlust)! I took from his original actions, conversations and letters in the class story that Quinn after Balmorra has no concerns about the warriors ability (betrayal effort aside) and therefore has no need to physically protect her (unless she is weakened by pregnancy) however I personally like to think he takes on a more assertive and possibly traditional masculine role to give her some respite from having to be the dominant force as Sith when they are "working".

I think lately in the game there is some element of Quinn being in awe of her power, however...
I totally agree, I didn't really touch on it too much in my post but I think there is heavy tones of that in the romance letter you get post Iokath.

I would personally say that Quinn is expressing respect and admiration, but that he does view himself as an equal in capability (if not worthiness considering the lingering feelings he may have about the betrayal). Although I like to believe that after reaffirming your love for each other Quinn would be less weighed down by self-loathing.

That's not to say he thinks himself as strong, just that he views himself as equal in the relationship.

This is similar to my preferred view of Quinn and my warrior(s) (though my dark warriors do love their bloodlust)! I took from his original actions, conversations and letters in the class story that Quinn after Balmorra has no concerns about the warriors ability (betrayal effort aside) and therefore has no need to physically protect her (unless she is weakened by pregnancy) however I personally like to think he takes on a more assertive and possibly traditional masculine role to give her some respite from having to be the dominant force as Sith when they are "working".
I totally agree. I've always felt that Quinn believes himself to be assisting the Warrior in combat, but not that the Warrior relies upon him.

As far as taking on traditionally masculine roles I can definitely see him doing whatever he felt would be to the greatest benefit of the Warrior, including taking charge, but I also like to imagine that being masculine is his natural disposition. I just picture him as such a consummate professional that he represses urges to act on his more masculine impulses until a time he deems appropriate.

Edited by Karameck

Alrighty then,

So I had some fun hoping around different character tropes and these are the ones I felt could be attributed to Quinn:

The Mole – This one should be obvious, but it’s interesting some of the distinctions between different types of “moles” that appear in popular culture

Double Agent – I’d argue this one is the better fit compared to "The Mole” although I suppose that ultimately depends on whether or not you believe he was ever truly loyal to you

Officer and a Gentleman – “These guys are considered the model military officers” – That’s gonna be a big checkmark from me

Control Freak – Conflicts with Vette and Pierce seem to highlight this, in addition comments are made about how immaculate he keeps his quarters and the ship

I also stumbled upon some general story tropes that seem to be present in the romance:

Totalitarian Utilitarian – Quinn’s dedication to the “evil” Empire

Villain Has a Point – for those who choose to forgive Quinn, this may be the reasoning

Love-Interest Traitor – I imagine this one is obvious

Hope others find this interesting, I’d love to hear where y’alls opinions are similar or different!

Alrighty then,

So I had some fun hoping around different character tropes and these are the ones I felt could be attributed to Quinn:

The Mole – This one should be obvious, but it’s interesting some of the distinctions between different types of “moles” that appear in popular culture

Double Agent – I’d argue this one is the better fit compared to "The Mole” although I suppose that ultimately depends on whether or not you believe he was ever truly loyal to you

Officer and a Gentleman – “These guys are considered the model military officers” – That’s gonna be a big checkmark from me

Control Freak – Conflicts with Vette and Pierce seem to highlight this, in addition comments are made about how immaculate he keeps his quarters and the ship

I also stumbled upon some general story tropes that seem to be present in the romance:

Totalitarian Utilitarian – Quinn’s dedication to the “evil” Empire

Villain Has a Point – for those who choose to forgive Quinn, this may be the reasoning

Love-Interest Traitor – I imagine this one is obvious

Hope others find this interesting, I’d love to hear where y’alls opinions are similar or different!

I'd say you nailed most of them. I always enjoy reading about the tropes, my son actually turned me onto the site, thinking I'd find it of use for my writing and it has been. :)

I'd say you nailed most of them. I always enjoy reading about the tropes, my son actually turned me onto the site, thinking I'd find it of use for my writing and it has been. :)
I think it's really fun too!

It's kinda crazy seeing how many things you thought were "original" that are actually common themes.

I think it's really fun too!

It's kinda crazy seeing how many things you thought were "original" that are actually common themes.

Indeed, eye-opening and bit depressing when you think you came up with the most awesome thing ever lol.

Indeed, eye-opening and bit depressing when you think you came up with the most awesome thing ever lol.
Yeah at first I was kinda bummed realizing how unoriginal I was, but then I realized everyone was unoriginal and came to terms with it!

Hell, Star Wars (original trilogy included) is just one massive mash up of classic tropes.

Edited by Karameck

Original or Iokath?

Original untill KOTFE and then Iokath.

Most of my companions keep their original looks and their default outfits actually.

I think the only ones i change are Kira and Jaesa, because of the long dress that seems particularly unpractical for fighting. It's ok for Sages or Sorcerers, because they don't need to move that much to fight but all the others i think need some freedom of movement.

And Corso, because his original outfit is really ugly.

Edited by Goreshaga

Original untill KOTFE and then Iokath.

Most of my companions keep their original looks and their default outfits actually.

I think the only ones i change are Kira and Jaesa, because of the long dress that seems particularly unpractical for fighting. It's ok for Sages or Sorcerers, because they don't need to move that much to fight but all the others i think need some freedom of movement.

And Corso, because his original outfit is really ugly.

I usually keep outfits similar to the default, unless I just want the characters to have a different feel when I'm on my alt accounts. However, I like changing out at least some parts to make my companions feel more distinguished.

I've got two outfits for Quinn right now that I've been bouncing between (although I always keep him in uniform):

White/Yellow Uniform

Black/Red Uniform - This is the default shirt from Iokath, just dyed

Alrighty then,

I didn't see it listed, but I think the Bushido warrior code fits Quinn pretty well. Not a perfect fit, but close.

What’s everyone’s favorite outfit for Quinn?

I have a large collection of uniforms. My Quinns are always in a uniform of one kind or color or another, unless I need something special for a screenshot. Most of my Quinns use the default customization as well, but several use others. When I first started collecting Cartel armor, I would preview it on Quinn to see if it looked good enough to buy, but he looks damn good in everything, so now I just collect it all :o

And this reminds me, I have been slacking off on up loading armor to TorFashion and need to get back to it! Exile probably thinks I abandoned her.

And new people, feel free to put an alt or 5 in the Quinnmancer guild! We also have a Theronmancer guild too, but we have a long way to go to catch the stronghold up.

I didn't see it listed, but I think the Bushido warrior code fits Quinn pretty well. Not a perfect fit, but close.
I think Malavai's sense of Loyalty is very integral to his character, I think you've definitely found a big gap in the tropes I listed!

As far as that site goes I was able to find this page covering several different Japanese related tropes, including an honor system identified with Bushido.

Although there is an interesting line in the description: "Bushido was the closest analogue to European chivalry, the code of the European Knights, but the Japanese code emphasized loyalty to one's lord, even to the point of doing evil, while the European one emphasized loyalty to one's conscience, even to the point of treachery"

That description of the code seems to leave some room for interpretation as to whether or not you feel Quinn more closely fits the Japanese or European code. Personally (based on that description alone-I'm not familiar with Bushido in general) I would think Quinn adheres to a personal code more so than a lord, but it seems very debatable either way.

For reference I say that only because I believe he did ultimately always do what was in service to the Empire, not necessarily what was in service to you or Baras.

That suggestion led me down a little rabbit hole this morning though! I found some other interesting pages that could be applicable:

Undying Loyalty

My Country, Right or Wrong

I have a large collection of uniforms. My Quinns are always in a uniform of one kind or color or another, unless I need something special for a screenshot. Most of my Quinns use the default customization as well, but several use others. When I first started collecting Cartel armor, I would preview it on Quinn to see if it looked good enough to buy, but he looks damn good in everything, so now I just collect it all :o

And this reminds me, I have been slacking off on up loading armor to TorFashion and need to get back to it! Exile probably thinks I abandoned her.

And new people, feel free to put an alt or 5 in the Quinnmancer guild! We also have a Theronmancer guild too, but we have a long way to go to catch the stronghold up.

I'd be interested in joining, any more info on the guild?

Most definitely the Major uniform, the one he got at Iokath.

I wouldn't alter a stitch of it.

It is a nice uniform. I specifically avoided spoilers when I returned to get Quinn back, seeing him in that outfit for the first time my heart skipped a little.

His opening line is pretty great too....

That alone makes me love Iokath.