The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

ESO v. FFXIV

RudeDog

If you can hold out, Revelation Online looks to be your best bet, or maybe Bless if you can wait that long. But remember these are Asian mmo's so likely to be p2w. Then there is Camelot Unchained and Crowfall coming out at the end of 2017, two big pvp games.

Bless is looking absolutely gorgeous. But, to your point, it is an Asian MMO and we know how well their core design elements usually go over in the West.

Guild Wars 2 or ESO of the mmo's that are currently out would be what I would go play if it were me. Actually I have played both, briefly, when they first came out.

Conan Exiles if you're into trying out an open world survival game when it comes out. Though Funcom hasn't had the best luck with Conan mmos. I might try it just to try it.

ESO is a console game ported to PC. Limited skills available (5 per weapon - less than GW2) wonky controls and some of the most godawful animations ever seen in a modern MMO. Also end game grinding puts SWTOR to shame.

I only played FFXIV at launch and it was a hot mess. I hear it's turned around but it suffers from the same stygma attached to ESO - it's a console game ported to PC and the controls reflect that, which is why neither of these games really appeal to me.

GW2 is fun, try that.

Edited by Vember

ESO is a console game ported to PC. Limited skills available (5 per weapon - less than GW2) wonky controls and some of the most godawful animations ever seen in a modern MMO. Also end game grinding puts SWTOR to shame.

I only played FFXIV at launch and it was a hot mess. I hear it's turned around but it suffers from the same stygma attached to ESO - it's a console game ported to PC and the controls reflect that, which is why neither of these games really appeal to me.

GW2 is fun, try that.

No. It is a PC game ported to console. Limited skills are there to have you focus on movement and I find it a lot more engaging. Animations are annoying only to new players that do not learn animation cancelling. Once you do; I find my character being much more an extension of myself than MMOs with tons of keybinds and GCDs.

End game grinding does have a similar system as SWTOR, but with the no champ point campaigns; there is a way to enjoy PvP without it. Even people with max CP seem to enjoy the non-champ points campaign. You do need to get geared up but you can come up with a really easy to aquire set build out then work on anything else you want as you have time

Check out the expansion pack they announced today. 4v4v4 arenas incoming with leaderboards. Sounds like it is PUG only though and I sure hope they do matchmaking. I personally prefer the RvRvR stuff as it feels like a more imersive PvP experience but it does take a lot more time to get a fight if you're in a hurry so, this should be a good change.

Crafting produces useable gear, albeit not as strong as some things you get from loot; but definitely has a purpose. I generally want at least one full set of crafted on most builds just to trait it the way I want.

It's not perfect.

Lag can be an issue in the top level, full champion point campaigns. Just be forewarned.

Ganking is real, so if you don't like the risk of getting insta gibbed (if you are not set up to take a hit) then you might reconsider. Going in a group when new is ideal so you kind of get a feel for what happens and where to find the fights.

Balance has its issues just like any MMO but I find that I can find a build that is competetive. It just may require you to play a style you don't like if you insist on sticking with a specific class. As an example; magicka based Templars and particularly tankish health trolls seem to be popular for my main but I hate the play style. So right now I am running full stam and seem almost like a poor mans night blade but it fits how I like to play better and I have been able to make it work. ideally; I should level my nightblade in stead for this kind of playstyle but I haven't taken the time. I have been having too much fun with my underperforming Stamplar. So pick your class based on your style wisely. You can chase the meta and it can last a while, but then you can be left high and dry if they chose to nerf something at some point, just like any MMO.

I've recently played ESO which is a fun game, agree the animations are wonky and take a bit of getting used to. How ever end game pvp is so proc set heavy there was very little skill required to win. King Richard made a video which shows how cheese it all is. It's something that angered a lot of pvpers and drove people away. It's a lot like swtor in some ways people wondering how it even made it into the game. The Devs said they heard the players but I bailed in Nov I know they were going to make changes but last I checked it wasn't enough to remove the cheese from end game pvp.

That said BWB is a lot of fun when leveling as long as you stay away from the Vet twinks who spend a lot of funds to craft the best gear to crush levelers. Get into a group and roam around and defend and take keeps its a ton of fun.

FF14 the only reason I never tried it is the lack of pvp support after launch. Might have improved some.

I Have both games but ESO never really took off for me also I tried FFXIV it's a nice game has really good housing and other aspects and if your and end game raider but find anything hard in SWTOR then don't try FFXIV because those raids are insane compared to a lot in SWTOR but they have really good mechanics but that GCD in FFXIV takes a little time to get used to.

Now one major thing about FFXIV I liked is the community within the server I never saw anyone being abusive like the SWTOR fleet chat or pvp stuff. Also now it's against the ToS to run any parser in FFXIV but the real thing they clamp down on is someone telling a player he/she is not good enough with his dps/heals that is a big nono they won't take action on a player using ACT but if you use it to judge a player your gone from the game.

FFXIV has content on a regular basis every 3 months If i remember I got to max level done a heap of raids but the game just didn't do it for me in the end that's why I still play SWTOR and will till the doors close.

Played ESO for a while.

Game is gorgeous. It really blows my mind that it is the Hero engine. Runs smooth as butter. Sometimes I wonder why this game can't incorporate some of the low level optimizations that are obviously being used in ESO.

However, I just cannot get into the lore of the Elder Scrolls. I know it's massively popular, but it just has never been able to resonate with me. The voice overs are nice, but the conversations are so static just like in Skyrim with the characters staring at you. For me, the questing got really repetitive and dry. I never did hit level cap due to getting bored with it.

I just returned to SWTOR after being gone since just after launch. It has its flaws with the RNG and still horribly optimized engine, but I really enjoyed the expansions and it's the only MMO out right now where I can genuinely get into the story. At this point in my life, I am not able to commit to group content very often, so it's lack of focus on the MMO part doesn't bother me all that much.

Having said that, this morning I got to thinking about the huge XP boost event. I'm wondering if it isn't a reaction to ESO launching player housing/Morrowind and maybe even Conan...coupled with the negative reaction to the implementation of RNG in the endgame. It might be an effort to stave off people cancelling while they work on refining GC.

I'm just going to take advantage and level an alt or two.

I am very happy to say Neither games and not SWTOR either, I will be playing Camelot Unchained...

Probably for a very long time, even though I don't completely dislike this game, but the fact is its a big money pit. As well I now have different gaming goals that don't really apply to this game anymore. I might jump on here and there to play this game as preferred but even that might not happen in the next few months.

If you really like this game or looking to try it out it does have its good points but for me it's just not the cats Meow for me anymore. :cool:

I just signed up for Star Citizen. It's crowd funded and even though still technically in alpha, there is already finished parts of the game you can play.

I would describe it as Xwing meets Wing commander meets EVE meets swtor meets SW battlefront.. meets scifi fans wet dream.

It's made by the same guy who made Wing Commander.

Check this out https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game/spaceflight

Also if you enlist (free) I have a referral code that gets you free stuff, PM for it.