The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bolster Unsubscribers

TrixxieTriss

Hi guys,

I just want to say good bye to you all. I've enjoyed playing with you and mostly enjoyed all our discussions :rolleyes:

It is with a very sad heart that I have just unsubscribed from this game that I love.

The changes to the Bolster system that take pvp from skill vs skill to gear vs gear are just the last straw in the multitude of bad decisions.

Add to the complete disregard of community feed back on this vital part of pvp and the arogence of not even properly acknowledging what we are extremely concerned about have made the game unenjoyable.

They are so fixated on this stupid gear grind for the whole game that they have lost their perspective on what is important, "Player enjoyment".

PvPers don't need an incentive to play, we play because we love PvP, we don't need a gear grind, we don't need anything except good queues, balance and the occasional new map. Gear progression is irrelevant for dedicated pvpers.

Their continued absue of this game that I passionately love is more than I can take. I want to be able to walk away from the game with fond memories, not with hate and loathing.

My sub runs out on the 5th of Feb, so I'll probably keep popping in for a chat till then.

I wanted to especially say good by to those people who have been as passionate about the game as myself. Like Allison, Lhance, Hottie, Snave, Ascendingsky, Alec, Banderal, Alrik, and the multitude of others that are too numerous for me to name you all.

Just remember to PM Eric if you also unsub in the future and tell him, atleast then they'll know why.

Gear always mattered in PvP except during 5.0.

The 5.1 bolster changes only make things back to what it was before for years...

I can understand leaving because 5.0/5.1 gearing changes but imo using the bolster change is just meh...

seems to be a bigger difference now.

Actually the time needed at the very least. We used to get the first "pvp" tier like 204 very fast, and it would put you on a pretty good level. 208 had a slight edge, but not too much. PvE gear was welll........with bolster...workable? Not very good but it did to get 204.

Now, the superior gear to the bolster level (232) is locked between quite a few hours of pvp grind. It takes a truckload of WZ to get 90, and even more to get 180. So people with 242 are going to be quite powerful vs people with 228 or 230.

I kinda agree, they need to listen to their community better, and if they are to do something about it, they have to actually think more than 5 minutes about what they'll do, the new "2nd layer of grind" makes it a targeted grind, but still a darn grind.

The PvErs are pissed because some class hit rock bottom there (dps sorc mainly) and there is a massive disrespency with top dps and flop dps. Also, new uprising are grind modes, not fun mode, last op was still more than 2 years ago.

The pvpers are pissed because mercs are quite OP, especially in 4vs4 dps in solo, and some class are down the drain. Again, sorc dps doesnt shine really well. But lack of balance, and NOW gear grind, which they didnt need so far.

The Story fans are pissed because they again broke a promise regarding returning companions in KoTET (and fed them ******** reasons), and many when they said "we want to see new story" actually meant "class specific story" but apparently BW missed that, so a good chunk of them is pissed to be forced into a very knight/warrior storyline (with good reason imo). So they got lazy and prefered the one story for all mode, which means 6 classes are pissed at them, and only 2 are moderately happy about it.

So I'll at least give them that. I've seen dev piss off the pvpers to please the pvers. I've seen devs piss off the pvers to please the pvpers. But its the first time I see devs managing to piss absolutely everyone off to the point I,m drawing a blank at "what are they doing right?"

Not to offend you, but it is a really lame reason to unsubscribe. It's your choice however.

I never had a big issue with 5.0 expect the fact that the crates kinda drop useless things and I don[t have an issue with the new bolster system, and yes, I spend the time in this game in PVP.

All of you were crying on the forums, I logged, got a POP and it was fine. gear matters now ? so what ? don't delude yourself because it ALWAYS MATTERED and it will always MATTER. This we want skill over GEAR is just some kind naive fairy tale. It doesn't exist.

PVP in this game is about who has better stuns and who stuns faster. that's kinda it. In short: it's a stun fest.

Not to offend you, but it is a really lame reason to unsubscribe. It's your choice however.

I never had a big issue with 5.0 expect the fact that the crates kinda drop useless things and I don[t have an issue with the new bolster system, and yes, I spend the time in this game in PVP.

All of you were crying on the forums, I logged, got a POP and it was fine. gear matters now ? so what ? don't delude yourself because it ALWAYS MATTERED and it will always MATTER. This we want skill over GEAR is just some kind naive fairy tale. It doesn't exist.

PVP in this game is about who has better stuns and who stuns faster. that's kinda it. In short: it's a stun fest.

gear always mattered, but it never was as frustrating to get.

If it was really fast to get at the very least 236, people wouldnt be so against the current game mode, but its not. Its locked between a MASSIVE grind. So long as the bolster was as it was, people didnt care much, since better gear gave marginally better stats. You'd still hit a bit hard, crit a bit more etc, but that was it. 204 vs 208 was about the same, and it took maybe 2 weeks of casual playing to get 204 in 4.0. Then it was a bit longer to get full 208, and again a bit longer to get some individual enhencements to get the stat distribution you wanted. It was a certain grind, but with good progression, and in a way, respected what I call the universal 80/20 rule.

20% of the effort for 80% of the results. Getting 208 and min-maxing it was the 80% of the time and 20% of the results.

Now its just so gigantic and linear, and RNG based that people are running off.

I'm especially pissed since I didnt keep a single 236 shell of the few piece I got, since why the heck would I? They were ugly, and I dont have that much spare room in my cargo hold to keep every single piece of armor shell I come accross. A bit of a warning of the way the new system would work would have been MUCH appreciated.

So the new bolster for some "passionnate" pvpers as trix said, but that may not have the time investment to put can very understandbly be the last proverbial nail in the coffin.

Especially since 240 gear crafting is ALSO locked behind that massive grind, unless you are among the very small NiM raiding community.

I've never understood why, this game more than any other I've played has always seemed to favor frustrating players over providing fun, be it early on forcing us to ride those stupid shuttle, or go through tons of load screens, right through to the current stupid decision to make this game 10x the grindfest than it ever was, the only chance you have at success is playing one single character, forget the alts and caring about the dumb boring assed story junk they seem obsessed with.

Lol, I got a mention.

I actually like this change and I am unsubscribing for totally different reasons.

I really want my Jedi robes, even something like this would do: http://i.imgur.com/XL4BKXc.png

And it's not within the impossible spectrum. :{

I can get where ya'll coming from, the best in slot gear is extremeyl difficult nad time taking to obtain now. Some classes to depend on properly optimized gear.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

I have 22 days left in my sub, will not be renewing it if they won't undo changes in bolster.

I've played this game for 5 years, and always enjoyed pvp. I pvp with several classes on both factions and that's why I didn't jump into farming CXP through exploits when others did. I didn't see the point because bolster worked fine, and I didn't want to choose just one character to play with.

All the toons I play with are cxp lvl 30-51, and I've only got 5 set bonus pieces for the 6 of them together. That wasn't a problem until 5.1. Now it's just pointless to play anymore, because I will never get the gear for all of them, and I don't enjoy losing match after match to people who exploited the system to get more CXP and/or are in big guilds who run several ops daily for gearing.

I used to love this game, so now I'm just sad where it's gone to.

It's a shame that SWTOR suffers from so many self-inflicted wounds. All games have a shelf life, but it's really sad to hasten the demise through a repeating pattern of poor communication, bad decisions, arrogance, and outright defiance in a refusal to give the players what they want.

This game has been on a death dive since 5.0 came out, which sucks because I felt it had stabilized from the poor decisions made in the past. BW, understand the situation and fix things before it's too late.

oh ffs it's a gear difference of 8 item levels if they spend tens of millions to buy 240 and 10 item levels if the stars align and they have a full set of 242.

PvP has ranged from exactly the same as this to more severe than this, all that's happened is things have gone back to normal.

You're not going anywhere, this thread is pointless.

Sad to see you go Trixie.

I also find myself playing less and less now. For me it's the gear grind, and the gamble-boxes. As you say, I don't PvP to grind out gear, and especially not 3 times where by the time I'd get fully geared would be about when they would release the next expansion and invalidate all the gear. I always give bio a times-out-in-a-couple-months credit card number, and I suspect that the next times it expires I'll not bother to renew. Ah well, I look at it as less time I'll be "wasting" on gaming, and more spent doing "real life things" (my house really does need a good cleaning :p).

honestly you guys are seriously overestimating how many people have even full 240's let alone partial 242's. This system has been out for what, 2 days now and I've already got my first t2 piece working on my second. yes, they should speed up the drop rate of components and/or lower the price of the gear, other than that, bolster itself is fine. Edited by jedcjedcjedc

honestly you guys are seriously overestimating how many people have even full 240's let alone partial 242's. This system has been out for what, 2 days now and I've already got my first t2 piece working on my second. yes, they should speed up the drop rate of components and/or lower the price of the gear, other than that, bolster itself is fine.

You keep saying this and it keeps being wrong for the same reason. The state *now* is meaningless. The point is it's creating a gear gap long term as people's mains will trend towards 240+ while people levelling to 70 will be gear-fooked and no one will have time to grind to t3 multiple times to gear up their alts. Remember, this was supposedly the "alt-friendly" patch.

I'm not going to unsub. This is actually benefiting me on my main as well, as I am over the cap in many slots. But it's creating a needless gear disparity for my alts, which *pisses me off*, because I was having a lot of fun with them in 5.0 warzones.

And that's the farked up thing. This arbitrary gear disparity is needless. The ONLY reason it exists is to force PvP players to grind. That should irritate the hell out of you, I honestly don't get why any of you are defending this.

Edited by stoopicus

You keep saying this and it keeps being wrong for the same reason. The state *now* is meaningless. The point is it's creating a gear gap long term as people's mains will trend towards 240+ while people levelling to 70 will be gear-fooked and no one will have time to gear up their alts. Remember, this was supposedly the "alt-friendly" patch.

I'm not going to unsub. This is actually benefiting me on my main as well, as I am over the cap in many slots. But it's creating a needless gear disparity for my alts, which *pisses me off*, because I was having a lot of fun with them in 5.0 warzones.

And that's the farked up thing. This arbitrary gear disparity is needless. The ONLY reason it exists is to force PvP players to grind. That should irritate the hell out of you, I honestly don't get why any of you are defending this.

I'm not defending the current state of GC, like I mentioned, they need to increase the currency rate of components and such. As for gearing alts down the line, you still gain levels over 300, you still get crates. tear the mods, use legacy gear, there is 242 gear for your alt right there. Down the line, 240's will also be a lot more common on the GTN and due to the law of the GTN will be continuously undercut to reach a decent price. What I am saying, is bolster right now, as it is, is not doing any of the harm that is supposedly being associated with it. it's nearly identical to 4.0 in regards to bolster alone. Again, the components part of it could do with a marked increase.

honestly you guys are seriously overestimating how many people have even full 240's let alone partial 242's. This system has been out for what, 2 days now and I've already got my first t2 piece working on my second. yes, they should speed up the drop rate of components and/or lower the price of the gear, other than that, bolster itself is fine.

You don't get it.

It's not just a gear grind, a possible gear discrepancy, a dismantling of a perfectly working gear system, an alteration of bolster, or the removal of a flexible system that allowed people to gear their mains along with their alts... It's all these things all in one patch!

Wake up dude! All of these things were inflicted upon PVP and the game itself, and if one thing doesn't bother a player chances are something else does with this 5.0 and 5.1 patch!

Wow. If you can't grasp that, don't know what to tell you.

Is this because you had previously grinded a set that bolstered well and had an advantage over all those that didn't know how to figure out the goofy bolstering system prior to this patch?

I was sad to see someone that is relatively active in the swtor community find a loophole in bolster that gave him an advantage, and instead of letting everyone know he hid it so he could have an unfair advantage in PVP.

This goes to show what kind of integrity he has. Not much.

I remember when we all were mystified that bolster would grant different stats to two of the same classes with the same gears, and then finally someone came to the forums and let everyone know, it was ship parts that was affecting the bolster!

We laughed at this, and found it to be true so EVERYONE made sure to equip every PVP toon with a fully geared ship, so that bolster helped them all equally.

Anyway, I just found it sad someone would find a similar loophole and instead of inform BW and the community they hid it for their own personal gain.

It doesn't surprise me, but just is a reminder how the majority of people are in this world. Game or not.

I know someone will chirp, "but it is just a game who cares." If you cheat in games you likely will cheat anywhere.

Gear always mattered in PvP except during 5.0.

The 5.1 bolster changes only make things back to what it was before for years...

I can understand leaving because 5.0/5.1 gearing changes but imo using the bolster change is just meh...

Yeah, but now the grind is 1000 times longer to get BiS PvP gear because there is no expertise. It's so different from pre-5.0 that your point is completely useless.