The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bolster?

kissingaiur

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping this was a bug. After resigning myself to the awful 5.0 gear grind, I have slowly accumulated a full set/near full set of purple 230s and have crafted augs/implants that min/max my main toons, based off the info that is out there (thanks Bant, Hottie, and company). With the 5.0 bolster, the gear set ups I have been using seemed to be good enough to last me the entirety of 5.0.... if Bioware didn't change things drastically.

At face value, it appears that 5.1 is going to make my current 5.0 gear set ups sub optimal (I'm guessing my crit is going to be well below the soft cap on my dps toons). I'd personally rather pvp gear be easy to obtain, but I am alright with having to put in a little work (4.0 for example). But once I've done that work, I'd like it to last longer than just .1 of the 5.0 phase.

That is the same thing I did, and all my stats dropped HEAVILY. Absolutel ridiculous. Whoever came up with this needs to be fired, and I usually dont say things li8ke this.

I think it means, anything under 232 will get bolstered up to 232 stats. Everything over 232 gear will not get bolstered and will get you the exact stat amount it says. I will be checking once I download the patch.

This is the main question here. If they just set everyone up and down to 232, fine. At 250 it was also fine. Made this impossible gear grind not so relevant if the playing field was level.

Now if bolster goes UP and never down all the casual and new players are totally screwed.

Edited by DRMM

I will be checking once I download the patch.

I look forward/dread your findings lol. Thanks for all the hard work Hottie!

@mmmbuddah. oh lord, If that's the case and it's as bad as you say, then it's time for a long swtor break for me. 5.0 has had me playing much less anyways. I like pvp in this game despite its faults, but I don't enjoy getting smashed by ppl who out gear me and I don't enjoy smashing under-geared players. The ONE thing I liked about pvp in 5.0 was that despite the very convoluted journey towards identifying BiS, 5.0 bolster was at least doing an OKAY job at providing a degree of gearing parity among all players.

I think it means, anything under 232 will get bolstered up to 232 stats. Everything over 232 gear will not get bolstered and will get you the exact stat amount it says. I will be checking once I download the patch.

I think this is it.. Also 240 relics ( crafted ones) do work now in pvp areas ( previous wording is removed from description)

Can you please share your findings once you have them? wont be able to try the patch until tomorrow so...

Thanks!

By looking at player stats in WZs now and looking at their gear the above is true. Bye bye casual and new players.

Edited by DRMM

So does that mean it is literally no use to get 230 (purple) gear over 208 pvp gear? Or is that too soon to tell?

You will probably want to keep your 208 armoring for the set bonus. Though it is probably too early to tell. I hope they change this very soon as it will be a bleeding festering wound for PvP.

Edited by Kawiki

except most people are still in t1 and are acutally getting bolstered up

But people who have gear above t1 will be at at a huge advantage. For example I have a sentinel that I just leveled, GC 32, with only 1 set piece, mostly in mix of 230 and 228 and 240 MH & OH hilts. If another player was in full 242, I was within 5% range of their effectiveness, which is passable.

If the info provided about the change in bolster are correct, that would put me ~15% behind. How am I supposed to compete :rak_02:

I do not understand the bolster does not give everyone 242 stats and regarding of what they are wearing and call it a day...

In any case, my last day of sub is Friday. F**k this s**t show.

Edited by Ottoattack

This is the main question here. If they just set everyone up and down to 232, fine. At 250 it was also fine. Made this impossible gear grind not so relevant if the playing field was level.

Now if bolster goes UP and never down all the casual and new players are totally screwed.

This is exactly how it works. I already unsubbed. I will not pay for a game that punishes me for not playing 24/7.

What purpose is this supposed to serve other than making the elite even more elite?

I'm actually pretty fine on my main, the point isn't me. This change in itself is bad for the game.

This is one of the few things you had right, Bioware.

There wasn't a big difference between max and relatively bad gear.

Now you have created a problem that wasn't there before. PvP is as the name reads about the players.

But you literally just turned into PvG. Or otherwise known as Player versus Gear.

You should fire the person that thought this was a good idea and the clown that approved it.

Since clearly those people havn't got the slightest clue about what your players want.

That's what I think of this clownshow.

Best result to maximize your stats from 'new" bolster is use 240 crafted mods/enhancements/implants/ear minus bonus set... but relics. Tested old 208 rating dps relics. its somehow gives still best stat over 230/234/240 relics

You there, stop talking sense! There will be none of that around here, understand?

I've gone through several WZ's, looking through stats, a lot were tanks and such so I couldn't go off that, this one is perfect though, he is the same class, a merc all below bolster while I'm mostly above bolster. He is missing 2 augments and is wearing a mixture of gear at and below 232 and is at 2,088 stat points while I have 2,677. the two augments would have 322 between them leaving a difference of only 267 between all the stats. even just upgrading that earpiece from a green would probably make it even more balanced between the two.

http://imgur.com/a/eqhRu

Edited by jedcjedcjedc

I decided to just straight up ask directly in the dev thread, which will of course be ignored, but feel free to pile on there if you want.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=9218645&postcount=43

This doesn't affect my main too badly but it definitely affects my alts. It's probably the single biggest way they could have made PvP more alt-unfriendly.

Edited by stoopicus

Ive started posting this in every Bolster and CXP thread in the hope that they see it. I've also PM'd both of them

Dear Eric and Tait,

Since 5.1 last night we have the following issues in PVP.

1. Bolster is now broken. We are not sure what you have done but it is no longer working correctly. Please restore what ever you changed to 5.0 settings. - PLEASE NOTE - this is game changing and will stop people pvping period.

So I am assuming this is a bug.

2. CXP Nerf of Bug? CXP is now lower in pvp than it was before. There was nothing in the patch notes about this, so I assume it's a bug. Can you please fix and restore to previous levels.

Eric, you have said in the past that anything not announced in patch notes that is then different after a patch is a bug. You have either failed/forgotten to notify us in the patch notes or this is a bug.

Please guys, can you communicate with the community asap as people are currently uninstalling or ready to cancel subs.

This is especially true for those players who are only subscribing to play pvp. If we can't play pvp where it is skill vs skill and not gear vs gear, most of us will move to other games.

I look forward to hearing from you in the next 24 hours.

PS. I've also PM'd both of you with this issue.

:(

this is almost a 1.1 ilum tier screwup for bioware, what exactly was wrong with the way it was ?

They were worried people wouldn't be grinding enough ...

Funny you mention old screw ups seeing as we have loot boxes again too.

Curious - the person who came up with the ilum change and also loot boxes ... do you think they are still around at Bioware making decision? Is Ben just repeating the past? Me thinks he is.

Ive started posting this in every Bolster and CXP thread in the hope that they see it. I've also PM'd both of them

Dear Eric and Tait,

Since 5.1 last night we have the following issues in PVP.

1. Bolster is now broken. We are not sure what you have done but it is no longer working correctly. Please restore what ever you changed to 5.0 settings. - PLEASE NOTE - this is game changing and will stop people pvping period.

So I am assuming this is a bug.

2. CXP Nerf of Bug? CXP is now lower in pvp than it was before. There was nothing in the patch notes about this, so I assume it's a bug. Can you please fix and restore to previous levels.

Eric, you have said in the past that anything not announced in patch notes that is then different after a patch is a bug. You have either failed/forgotten to notify us in the patch notes or this is a bug.

Please guys, can you communicate with the community asap as people are currently uninstalling or ready to cancel subs.

This is especially true for those players who are only subscribing to play pvp. If we can't play pvp where it is skill vs skill and not gear vs gear, most of us will move to other games.

I look forward to hearing from you in the next 24 hours.

PS. I've also PM'd both of you with this issue.

:(

Bolster isn't bugged - read patch notes. If you are referring to the nerf that is?