The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Can't bring myself to play republic side *SPOILERS*

GericoV

I'm the opposite. I can only play my imperials as LS and even then it's dissatisfying.

The Knight story is totally trope filled and very star wars. I love the lore in the consular story though. Smuggler has awesome dialogue and trooper is femshep so even though it's meh I like it.

While I wouldn't disagree with your assessment of the DS republic classes, I personally found LS Warrior to be as forced as DS Knight.

I've played LS and DS versions of all the stories, and the against-the-grain Force using variants on both sides were the weakest, for me. LS Warrior spends as much time hiding their boyscout-ness as DS Knight does justifying their anger issues.

I guess it depends on how you perceive your character. For me DS SW was kinda psychopatic -kill everything that don't agree with me.

Playing LS SW is not playing a basically jedi on the imp side. Its more about honorable warrior, kinda samurai or a black knight. You can kill without remorse when needed, but prefer to leave your threatening presence rather then a pile of bodies. Male VA did a very good job on that IMO.

Going LS SW was like 10th character for me (did canonic 8 classes and then tried the variations) and it was a revelation. I was unimpressed with DS SW (my first character) and in awe of LS DS two years later.

If I was to recommend best classes setup it would be

1. LS SW male

2. LS JK male

3. Imp Agent -female. LS, DS or neutral -all options are interesting

4. Slightly LS Smuggler

5. Slightly LS BH

6. DS Consular

7. DS Trooper

8. DS SI

Edited by jstankaroslo

Funny, when I started playing IMP stories, I always missed the kind of Emperor-Palpatine-Mastermind-Evil in any of the story and instead was seeing a ton of 5-year-old childish evil, which soon made me feel more like a clown than like an evil Mastermind.

Sure, I got to kill a lot of people on the Imp side, but the only part, that remotely borders on having a plan is by pulling Jaesa to the dark side.. and that is a companion story, not a class story.

Over all eight storys (and including KOTFE and KOTET and uprisings), the most beloved word of the story dialogue dev seems to be "scum". As a republican, I am called scum by about every imp available, and even in the imp-story it happens a few times.

If the sith empire could for a few days behave like grown ups, they would have a real chance to rule the galaxy, until then, they will remain a laughable kids-club.

Sure they do. Jedi are the ultimate one-night stand-ers. No romance, no emotions. Doesn't mean no sex. Just means don't get attached. The Jedi romances very definitely get attached, heh. But casual sex as a Jedi? Totally go for it!

I wonder how many people in cantinas are secretly Jedi looking for a quick lay in between missions?

Gotta keep those Force-sensitive numbers up somehow :^)

Your post summed it up well. The Imp side is just much better written, especially for the Force users, for playing the "opposite" alignment. LS Warrior and Inq feel like KotOR. In fact LS Warrior might be the best heroic Star Wars storyline in any game.

Have to disagree there. Light Side Inquisitor and Warrior make no sense whatsoever. Major disjointment between narrative and personality of the characters.

I am not saying you should play fully DS, but the majority should be DS. One musn't just pick the red as an end in itself. For example my DS Warrior always lets Tremmel and Rathari live cus they show up later during spoilers. + many other such decisions. Full DS of any class is not being Sith or DS or evil , it's being a moron.

Light Side Agent makes me sick. It basically makes you a traitor to your ''country'' and a fool + I've never wanted to kill anyone more in this game than the Jedi guy in chapter 2, when i played it for the first time. Avoiding names and reasons, for spoilers.

Edited by Kaedusz

I guess it depends on how you perceive your character. For me DS SW was kinda psychopatic -kill everything that don't agree with me.

Playing LS SW is not playing a basically jedi on the imp side. Its more about honorable warrior, kinda samurai or a black knight. You can kill without remorse when needed, but prefer to leave your threatening presence rather then a pile of bodies. Male VA did a very good job on that IMO.

Going LS SW was like 10th character for me (did canonic 8 classes and then tried the variations) and it was a revelation. I was unimpressed with DS SW (my first character) and in awe of LS DS two years later.

If I was to recommend best classes setup it would be

1. LS SW male

2. LS JK male

3. Imp Agent -female. LS, DS or neutral -all options are interesting

4. Slightly LS Smuggler

5. Slightly LS BH

6. DS Consular

7. DS Trooper

8. DS SI

Oh, I don't disagree with your first statement. That -is- pretty much what a DS SW story is all about. I have 3 SW's, because there's three romances. I have an LS boyscout to romance Vette, a highly ambitious power-hungry DS male to romance Jaesa, and a very darksided psychopathic murdering attack dog female to bang Pierce. (Quinn doesn't count. He's the only romance in the entire game that I can't bring myself to do. We all know about the spoilers. I still want to kill him every time.)

I think - And it would seem that BioWare's writers also agree with me - that a proper full on DS Sith Warrior really is just psychopathic kill everything that doesn't agree with me. That's what they're like. That's what they do. And the story reflects that. I have two of them, and they're a lot of fun to play. My LS warrior on the other hand, he didn't feel anything like the "honorable samurai" that you refer to. He just felt like a boyscout who would have preferred to be in the Republic and had to keep coming up with weaksauce excuses as to why his targets didn't die.

I've said this in other places on the forums, but I definitely think that there was an "intended" way to play almost all of the classes, and even more so for the Force classes. BioWare may have given us options, but I very much feel that the writing team favored certain alignments for certain classes.

LS JK

LS JC

Smuggler can go either way, but I think they tend to favor LS - More Indiana Jones/Malcolm Reynolds than Han Solo, actually.

Trooper can go either way, but again, they tend to the LS.

DS SW

DS SI

Neutral BH. I think the writers' tendency is to push a BH to the Dark Side, as befits the original iconic hunters in the OT, but Mako's presence first, and the Mandalorian stuff later, indicates that they wanted to keep you honorable.

Neutral leaning DS Agent. Less movie James Bond, more Gestapo (Or Fleming Bond, who was a much bigger ******e than any movie Bond). It kind of works either way, but I think the Agent, in many ways, is merely a non-force sensitive version of the SW.

Obviously, there's all kinds of nuances there, but if I was forced to make a guess, that's what I think the 'canon' stories of each class are. If you roll a new KoTFE/KoTET char, all Empire chars take red decisions and all Republic chars take blues, right?

I mean, I'm not expecting BioWare to go through the stories and pick nuanced options for all decisions for those start-at-60 characters, but it definitely shows that they, at the most basic level, think Empire = Dark, Republic = Light.

Edited by Raphael_diSanto

I played almost everything light side first, mostly because of a squeamishness to kill people or upset companions. Glad I got over that. LS sith warrior was the first story I did and as much as I loved it, I've found dark much more plausible. Picking a light choice occasionally amidst mostly dark choices has been the most satisfying playthrough of the warrior for me out of the three I have.

Out of my light and dark inquisitors though, I find the light one more enjoyable because of how much she confounds everyone around her.

LS sith warrior was the first story I did and as much as I loved it, I've found dark much more plausible..

I think that's an important distinction, and it's one that not many people make. I've enjoyed all of the stories. And picking the LS option and then seeing Jedi go "Wait, but aren't you supposed to kill me?" is amusing. But, like you, I too find DS SW far more plausible.

Edited by Raphael_diSanto

DS Consular feels fine. You're basically (especially in Ch 2 and 3) a scheming politician building their powerbase. You manipulate, you lie, you kill inconvenient obstacles -all in aim to increase your influence and level of power. I very much prefer DS Consular over the LS one.

So if you want a realistic, not selfless force user go DS consular. Although bear in mind that this is far weaker story overall than LS Sith Warrior you seem to have done

This DS Consular actually seems fun and interesting, and from your description could potentially be better than the SI.

I actually played mostly DS SW. I never do fully LS or DS on any character as some of the decisions on each side are just plain stupid and treasonous. I have played LS SW a bit, about halfway through, but I didn't think the LS Jaessa storyline fit the character I was playing. My LS SW was still a sith loyal to the current empire but just wasn't evil for the sake of evil, and then jaessa pops up telling me we're reforming the empire to turn to the lightside. Maybe this storyline would fit better with a LS SI as the SI is meant to be the one interested in politics and the empire as a whole.

This DS Consular actually seems fun and interesting, and from your description could potentially be better than the SI.

I actually played mostly DS SW. I never do fully LS or DS on any character as some of the decisions on each side are just plain stupid and treasonous. I have played LS SW a bit, about halfway through, but I didn't think the LS Jaessa storyline fit the character I was playing. My LS SW was still a sith loyal to the current empire but just wasn't evil for the sake of evil, and then jaessa pops up telling me we're reforming the empire to turn to the lightside. Maybe this storyline would fit better with a LS SI as the SI is meant to be the one interested in politics and the empire as a whole.

Yeah, that happens. That's a thing. It's BioWare's more simplistic morality. An LS SI is similar, as you supposed - An Ashara says similar things to Jaesa, with regards to changing the Empire from the inside.

It'll never happen, of course, haha.

OP kind of illustrates EXACTLY why the empire ultimately loses and the Republic eventually wins. And also why the empire was losing the war so badly prior to KOTFE.

According to what he/she wrote, they are only interested in becoming powerful and serving their own self-interest, while the Republic stories are mostly focused on - wait for it - defeating the enemy. That's why one side wins and the other side loses.

I've played through all the Republic classes and the SI and SW on the imp side. I'm currently working on a BH and IA. The main differences on each side is that at the end of every Republic class story, you deal a devastating blow to the empire by taking out one of their military leaders or the emperor himself. While the empire side, you only worry about making yourself stronger. The force using class stories had their moments, but were very dumb to me because all you ended up doing was killing your master or someone on the council. I would have liked to have seen them taking out pub leaders.

The most fun I had on the imp side was leveling my SI. I played her LS and you get dialogue options that actually poke fun at the empire for basically being insane. At one point an NPC (can't remember who) asks me essentially why I'm nice all the time. My sorc said "Because I prefer sane leadership." That was awesome and kind of foreshadowed why the empire loses. Way too much infighting and betrayal and concern for their own self-interest.

Exactly like the OP.

I don't think I ever actually noticed that since I haven't played Rep side but I see what you mean about their endings with regards to dealing a blow to the enemy.

Contrary to my post about loving serving my own self-interest, my favourite class story is actually the IA. They are working for the good of the empire and the IA i played was mostly LS. However he often made DS choices when the result served the empire, he believed that the empire was the best for the galaxy and throughout the story aimed to protect imperials. He was the hero of the empire multiple times just like the JK for the republic, however JK story is a lil to goody goody for me.

Oh, I don't disagree with your first statement. That -is- pretty much what a DS SW story is all about. I have 3 SW's, because there's three romances. I have an LS boyscout to romance Vette, a highly ambitious power-hungry DS male to romance Jaesa, and a very darksided psychopathic murdering attack dog female to bang Pierce. (Quinn doesn't count. He's the only romance in the entire game that I can't bring myself to do. We all know about the spoilers. I still want to kill him every time.)

I think - And it would seem that BioWare's writers also agree with me - that a proper full on DS Sith Warrior really is just psychopathic kill everything that doesn't agree with me. That's what they're like. That's what they do. And the story reflects that. I have two of them, and they're a lot of fun to play. My LS warrior on the other hand, he didn't feel anything like the "honorable samurai" that you refer to. He just felt like a boyscout who would have preferred to be in the Republic and had to keep coming up with weaksauce excuses as to why his targets didn't die.

I've said this in other places on the forums, but I definitely think that there was an "intended" way to play almost all of the classes, and even more so for the Force classes. BioWare may have given us options, but I very much feel that the writing team favored certain alignments for certain classes.

LS JK

LS JC

Smuggler can go either way, but I think they tend to favor LS - More Indiana Jones/Malcolm Reynolds than Han Solo, actually.

Trooper can go either way, but again, they tend to the LS.

DS SW

DS SI

Neutral BH. I think the writers' tendency is to push a BH to the Dark Side, as befits the original iconic hunters in the OT, but Mako's presence first, and the Mandalorian stuff later, indicates that they wanted to keep you honorable.

Neutral leaning DS Agent. Less movie James Bond, more Gestapo (Or Fleming Bond, who was a much bigger ******e than any movie Bond). It kind of works either way, but I think the Agent, in many ways, is merely a non-force sensitive version of the SW.

Obviously, there's all kinds of nuances there, but if I was forced to make a guess, that's what I think the 'canon' stories of each class are. If you roll a new KoTFE/KoTET char, all Empire chars take red decisions and all Republic chars take blues, right?

I mean, I'm not expecting BioWare to go through the stories and pick nuanced options for all decisions for those start-at-60 characters, but it definitely shows that they, at the most basic level, think Empire = Dark, Republic = Light.

I get what you're saying and I admit that you make interesting points here.

However it boils down to how you perceive your character, personal preference.

Sure DS SW fills the stereotype, and is very plausible. That being said, I think the empire full of DS nobility (DS as the game understands what DS actually is) wouldn't last. Killing everybody that has other opinion? Decimating competent servants? Killing before asking questions? C'mon, even Baras interrogates his prisoners :cool:

In my own canon SW can be loyal to the Empire (not to Baras) without killing everything on his way. Some people may have vital info, sometimes you can use your temporary allies for your own goals.

Just out of my memory, 3 situations where DS SW fails:

Lord Grathan on DK. DS SW just kills everybody. LS SW installs Grathan's wife in charge -she seems reasonable, recourseful and competent. Besides its more fun this way

On Nar Shaddaa -there is a rep trooper squad that can come to your aid later. DS SW kills them where they stand. LS SW uses them, and than can either kill them or let them go

On Belsavis there's a Jedi that looks for Baras' sister too. DS SW kills him on first given occasion. And forfeits a delightful chance to make this jedi hypocrite kill defenseless prisoner. Why kill him afterwards -let him live with that :D

Even on Tatooine when you meet Jaesa's master I don't see a reason to be outwardly hostile. We're not at war at that time -my SW is not a mindless animal. And this way Yonlach shows how ruthless he is wiping the mind of his padawan.

Of course Baras has to die, but sparing his life to live in shame is also ok.

What I mean here is: DS SW just kills. LS SW has many more options, killing included. Leaving your opponents terrified does the trick too :)

Maybe its just me, but playing LS SW gave me better understanding what being a Sith could mean. In relation to the movies -LS SW is more like Dooku. DS SW is more like Maul.

As for canon BW walkthrough -you may be right o this. But I've never followed official canons. Makes me feel 'streamlined' too much :)

Yeah, IMO DS Consular makes for an interesting character. The story however is ill paced, which means you can get bored at times. But its worth a try, especially now when we level up so fast.

Jaesa is extreme on LS and DS. Either holy angel or bloodthirsty psycho. TBH I don't like this character much.

But the scene/fight when you turn her to the DS is very cool

I thoroughly enjoyed my Jedi Knight campaign. Sadly the final boss was rather underwhelming due to the fact that I was nearly eight levels above the boss... so I crushed it with ease. I sensed personality on my character, but that also depended on the choices I made. I made her a good character that stays loyal to the Jedi Code, even though she does reveal some emotion and is attached to her companion, Kira. Kira and Scourge are two of my favorite companions, they're like the opposite and both provide different influences on my character.

I do see what you mean. I have only finished the Jedi Knight and did hear many lousy things about the Consular's plot line, but I have to be honest and say that JK was really fun for me.

In my own canon SW can be loyal to the Empire (not to Baras) without killing everything on his way. Some people may have vital info, sometimes you can use your temporary allies for your own goals.

Just out of my memory, 3 situations where DS SW fails:

Lord Grathan on DK. DS SW just kills everybody. LS SW installs Grathan's wife in charge -she seems reasonable, recourseful and competent. Besides its more fun this way

Don't they send an assassin after you, though? :( That's a very early indicator that you really should be careful of who you let walk free.

What I mean here is: DS SW just kills. LS SW has many more options, killing included. Leaving your opponents terrified does the trick too :)

Maybe its just me, but playing LS SW gave me better understanding what being a Sith could mean. In relation to the movies -LS SW is more like Dooku. DS SW is more like Maul.

I see what you mean and the game does give you room to be a more intellectual and calculating sith warrior than the class description would let on, but you're still more than likely going to end up heavily ds even without killing everyone.

To me, the Warrior story was never about being Baras' or The Emperor's attack dog, like it looks on the surface. It was about being so powerful that everyone tried to control you and use you to their own ends, especially the Emperor. At the end, I felt my Warrior was better suited to the dark council than just "Wrath", and being the Emperor now is really his rightful place :D

I really tried to play my warrior smartly, I let people live if I thought they would serve me in the future, which were light choices, but those are still manipulating and self serving decisions. However, I still ended up almost completely dark side before Kotfe. There just isn't a lot of room for "forgiveness" in that class story.

Even with Valkorion, I picked light side choices not to use his power cause I hated the guy after SoR and Ziost, but I'm still Dark V because of how many people betrayed me in Kotfe. I'm thinking of going back and *trying* to stay ls as a warrior, it will be hard - I think the game just steers you dark side as a warrior. I can't imagine my warrior letting people off who actively work against him or letting his "friends" that betray him walk away. It doesn't mesh at all.