So... Whats next? The Future of SWTOR...

LordPaulusCobris

Its been the worst year for SWTOR and so far there is little indication that anything is going to improve. The development team seem to want to avoid any good news and you would think if there was any to be had they would be all about posting it. As opposed to Twitter being about how the 6th Anniversary brings with it a statue of Valkorian cause a reminder of the retcon story arc really was the best thing to immortalise in your home with a new statue.

So its not completely clear give the state of the game what the plan is to improve it, if that is even the plan. Is it the hope that the movies will bring people in to the game or that the game has had its day and Anthem is the big new thing?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you know whats funny? that most of the people who still play swtor are guys who fell in love with the 2 kotors and the original movies and the expanded universe. If instead of making stupid choices like the kind you wrote, EA and Bioware could instead give us more kotor style content and actually listen to the community. they dont want money or people playing their game? why they do that?

Please don't ask for KOTOR style content. They "listened" to that once already and gave us mute player characters in boring "convos". Because we "asked" for it.

They do not understand that you (hopefully?) mean the dept of choices and proper, intriguing plot lines. They think you mean the visual style, a.k.a text boxes rather than voiced cut scenes.

Head on down to Disney headquarters and sell them SWTOR 2. Everyone wants some of that MMO money, and Disney has the money to finance a project like that. There will be room in Austin for some new talent to work on SWTOR 2 once they finish up with Anthem.

Head on down to Disney headquarters and sell them SWTOR 2. Everyone wants some of that MMO money, and Disney has the money to finance a project like that. There will be room in Austin for some new talent to work on SWTOR 2 once they finish up with Anthem.

Actually western companies dont really want MMO money anymore. There are cheaper and much less aggravating types of games to make and support... safer and more profitable too.

Edited by Khelekin

Actually western companies dont really want MMO money anymore. There are cheaper and much less aggravating types of games to make and support... safer and more profitable too.

Sadly, there's a bit of truth to this. This is where W0W fans are so fortunate...W0W IS Blizzard...W0W matters to Blizzard. SWTOR isn't even mentioned by EA any longer.

Sadly, there's a bit of truth to this. This is where W0W fans are so fortunate...W0W IS Blizzard...W0W matters to Blizzard. SWTOR isn't even mentioned by EA any longer.

Its true. Mainly because most ppl that work in Blizzard are in some way fans of WoW - the game, the lore, the universe, the stories, the characters...etc....but I very much doubt there are people in EA that are truly SW fans...damn shame what they did to this game.

Its true. Mainly because most ppl that work in Blizzard are in some way fans of WoW - the game, the lore, the universe, the stories, the characters...etc....but I very much doubt there are people in EA that are truly SW fans...damn shame what they did to this game.

Lol, and you are a "true" star wars fan? What makes a "true" star wars fan? Just stop and think before hitting send.

Very good point...many of the Blizzard employees have a hand in shaping the world they design, which makes it a matter of personal pride as well. Clearly EA has no pride and no shame...

Lol, and you are a "true" star wars fan? What makes a "true" star wars fan? Just stop and think before hitting send.

I am a true Star Wars fan...not afraid to admit it. I'm a nurd about Star Wars and all things Star Wars. I'm absolutely a "true" fan.

edit: A "true fan" is someone who has more interest in the Star Wars stories that have been, and will be, told, than making money off the Star Wars name. EA only cares about the name...they clearly don't give a flip about the story, which is why you have a 300 year old human that you played as a character 10 years ago making a return...and Sith lords who can shapeshift and crap, who can destroy entire planets with the "force"...even the Emperor needed a freaking Death Star...

Edited by TUXs

I am a true Star Wars fan...not afraid to admit it. I'm a nurd about Star Wars and all things Star Wars. I'm absolutely a "true" fan.

edit: A "true fan" is someone who has more interest in the Star Wars stories that have been, and will be, told, than making money off the Star Wars name. EA only cares about the name...they clearly don't give a flip about the story, which is why you have a 300 year old human that you played as a character 10 years ago making a return...and Sith lords who can shapeshift and crap, who can destroy entire planets with the "force"...even the Emperor needed a freaking Death Star...

You honestly dont have any idea who these people are.

Very good point...many of the Blizzard employees have a hand in shaping the world they design, which makes it a matter of personal pride as well. Clearly EA has no pride and no shame...

To be fair, or a devil's advocate, not that I like EA or anything, EA/BW is handcuffed by the IP. Blizzard created Warcraft so they can do what they want with it at any time. EA/BW doesn't own Star Wars and has to stay under the radar, so to speak, when they want to create or change anything. I suspect it's even more difficult now that Disney is making it up as they go along. There doesn't seem to be any real guidelines to what is Star Wars anymore after seeing the latest version...

In fact I am, been growing up with this verse, not only movies or games, but the whole of Expanded Universe. Other than that I have no obligation to explain myself to some EA fanboy/whiteknight/bury head in the sand thing. And I will post whatever I like, including well-deserved criticism about the poor state that 2017 development brought to this game. I don't usually bother with such kind of posts, but it seems i am in the mood lol.

EDIT: As for the fools EA made themselves on Star Wars related products, there really isn't anything to discuss. Only blind not so right in the head people think EA cares about any IP further than the money they can squeeze.

Edited by ExarSun

Not true... EA was very proud telling the world they made $800 million cash grabbed off FIFA players for microtransactions. ;)

I do agree it would be nice if Bioware could put less "EA" into the product, but we all know that would never happen just short of Disney buying out Bioware and funding a better game.

To be fair, or a devil's advocate, not that I like EA or anything, EA/BW is handcuffed by the IP. Blizzard created Warcraft so they can do what they want with it at any time. EA/BW doesn't own Star Wars and has to stay under the radar, so to speak, when they want to create or change anything. I suspect it's even more difficult now that Disney is making it up as they go along. There doesn't seem to be any real guidelines to what is Star Wars anymore after seeing the latest version...

Fair enough...but being 3000 years before anything "canon" happens, they have a helluva lot more creative freedom than anyone else does. The IP, in this case, provides just the setting...Bioware screwed it up by bringing back a character I played 10 years ago and making him 300+ years old. Bioware dug their own hole in the horrible story the game told. KOTFE/KOTET just dug deeper by making Jedi and Sith able to destroy worlds with their flipping minds...something that would clearly lead to ending each and every one of them because of the danger they presented.

So...as much as you want to claim the IP limits what they can do, I think most of the hole Bioware has dug has been self inflicted, not mandated by Disney.

I call it as I see it. Been here a long time, and saw how much this game has changed...for the worse. Overall development decisions that brought this game to its current state speak for themselves. I did only mention EA as a whole, I wasn't excluding all the devs, all the people that work on this game. Of course there should be fans amongst them and there certainly are, but the people in EA that make the general decisions for where this game should go aren''t such in my eyes (some EA suit or CEO so shortsighted they only see short-time money earnings)...or are just incompetent, which is worse.

EA as a the owner of the SW licence certainly don't care about Star Wars, they care about the money the can squeeze from it...the fiasco with SWBF 2 shows it pretty clear....If you cant get that...well...it shows how much is your capacity...but its always fun to read fanboys defending obvious disasters ( such as EA deciding whats best for a game you play) that sadly has befallen this game and the people responsible for them....Oh and I doubt anyone cares how blindly you root for EA, we have seen so many of you...

Not that I particularly like Blizzard, but for all their decision they still strongly support their game and have at least the decency to come out to their customers and say what they will or wont do for their game, plans for the future and so on. People at the helm of Blizzard at least when it comes to WoW care more about the game than finding the next best reskin to put for microtransactions.

That's enough time wasted explaining to the likes of you.

I would hope they dont put someone in charge of the game that is going to make decisions based on personal feelings and fandom. Thats a recioe for disaster that likely wouldnt have allowed swtor to last as long as it has. They need someone with a strong business sense making the decisions about the business.

Ive said before, amd will say it again. SW has a fanbase that is much more unforgiving than WOW, and has a lot longer history/buildup than WOW too, so it is impossible to make changes without having passionate criticism coming from one corner or another. Good business people are able to block that element out because it generally leads to bad results that are made from decisions that cant be supported.

My view of SW is different than yours, and likely both of ours will be different than a star wars fan/businessman placed in charge of the game. So when he makes a decision as a fan, its likely he will receive backlash and thoughts of failure from those that dont view SW the same as him.

Fair enough...but being 3000 years before anything "canon" happens, they have a helluva lot more creative freedom than anyone else does. The IP, in this case, provides just the setting...Bioware screwed it up by bringing back a character I played 10 years ago and making him 300+ years old. Bioware dug their own hole in the horrible story the game told. KOTFE/KOTET just dug deeper by making Jedi and Sith able to destroy worlds with their flipping minds...something that would clearly lead to ending each and every one of them because of the danger they presented.

So...as much as you want to claim the IP limits what they can do, I think most of the hole Bioware has dug has been self inflicted, not mandated by Disney.

To be fair in the now non-cannon legacy books and novels (best story in the lore IMO (Caedus ftw)), Sidious could destroy a planet or at least a huge-*** fleet with his force storm. Ridiculous power levels aren't the worst thing..the worst thing is your character being so stupid in KOTFE/KOTET he only follows what others tell him to do and couldn't obliterate having some of the powers of the spirits ot Valk and Vayling some traitors...

Other than that i agree...there are so many characters they could use - Malgus, Jadus...even time jumps to Bane...But overall this isn't the main problem anymore...its the total lack of content that can keep you busy for more than a week.

I don't disagree with anything you said. They have room to create their own history, but they painted themselves into a corner with this awful story. They have to design game elements around it and it's getting them/us nowhere. Where the IP comes into play is they can't just say "Let's bring in the Borg and start all over". It's bad enough they created the Eternal Fleet. How they get themselves out the whole needs to be Star Wars too or it won't pass. Fans won't flock/come back to the game for "It was all a dream" or "a planet blew up and it created a rift in time". The Star Wars has to go hand-in-hand with the game elements. If they don't we end up where we are now.

I would hope they dont put someone in charge of the game that is going to make decisions based on personal feelings and fandom. Thats a recioe for disaster that likely wouldnt have allowed swtor to last as long as it has. They need someone with a strong business sense making the decisions about the business.

Sorry my friend, but do you think what happened to this game is proof for a strong business sense? Total decline of everything and inability or desire to invest somewhat in something that is popular, now even more with regular movies coming out. Flopping a game like SWBF 2...and here....having a total drought of content or advertising or anything actually when even maintenance mode LOTRO is putting huge expansions...Sorry but EA is famous for the complete reverse thing - absolutely no sense of keeping lasting business, only squeezing what they can by microtransactions and the bare minimum of efforts as far as content goes. And they should be called out for it - in SWBF 2, in here, everywhere...

They even went as far as to massacre one of the best and most famous sci-fi IPs in the face of Mass Effect. I absolutely have no faith in them. Incompetence + greed...this is what EA represent, Blizzard when it comes to WoW - don't. You see I am not mad at the people that do daily work on this game...I am mad at the people deciding the future of it, the funding of it. Because they brought us to all-time low.

I fully agree SW fans are more unforgiving than WoW...but that is not all negative thing.

Edited by ExarSun

Sorry my friend, but do you think what happened to this game is proof for a strong business sense? Total decline of everything and inability or desire to invest somewhat in something that is popular, now even more with regular movies coming out. Flopping a game like SWBF 2...and here....having a total drought of content or advertising or anything actually when even maintenance mode LOTRO is putting huge expansions...Sorry but EA is famous for the complete reverse thing - absolutely no sense of keeping lasting business, only squeezing what they can by microtransactions and the bare minimum of efforts as far as content goes. And they should be called out for it - in SWBF 2, in here, everywhere...

They even went as far as to massacre one of the best and most famous sci-fi IPs in the face of Mass Effect. I absolutely have no faith in them. Incompetence + greed...this is what EA represent, Blizzard when it comes to WoW - don't. You see I am not mad at the people that do daily work on this game...I am mad at the people deciding the future of it, the funding of it. Because they brought us to all-time low.

I fully agree SW fans are more unforgiving than WoW...but that is not all negative thing.

As much as i love SW and my chars and so on but the saddest thing is that this is the truth.

I guess EA thinks "okay, they love SW so no matter what we can do what we want".

I don't disagree with anything you said. They have room to create their own history, but they painted themselves into a corner with this awful story. They have to design game elements around it and it's getting them/us nowhere. Where the IP comes into play is they can't just say "Let's bring in the Borg and start all over". It's bad enough they created the Eternal Fleet. How they get themselves out the whole needs to be Star Wars too or it won't pass. Fans won't flock/come back to the game for "It was all a dream" or "a planet blew up and it created a rift in time". The Star Wars has to go hand-in-hand with the game elements. If they don't we end up where we are now.

BORG lol! I agree Kodrac...they've painted themselves into a corner right now...we can't go back to being a Trooper or a Spy or a Smuggler...we've gone way too far past that and that was a HUGE mistake imo. We're above taking orders at this point (but we don't give them either), which in a video game, is crucial to advancing the story imo. Besides saving the universe, what more could the galaxy ask of me? I've grown beyond storming Corellia with a band of misfits or hunting down intelligence on Nar Shadda...we've become too powerful to do the menial tasks that fuel fun stories. I believe Lana or Theron should have been "the Outlander" and we could have been the right hand man...that would still allow for a return to Imps vs Pubs had they gone that way.

I could not agree more!!! Great post!

Incompetence + greed...this is what EA represent, Blizzard when it comes to WoW - don't. You see I am not mad at the people that do daily work on this game...I am mad at the people deciding the future of it, the funding of it. Because they brought us to all-time low.

I agree with you, but let's not forget that it was Bioware execs who decided to sell the soul of their company to the devil to make themselves rich - EA didn't force them to sell. And while EA deserves every bit of the bad reputation that it has, game conglomerates like NCSoft are even more malignant and amoral. So it could be worse, but had Bioware not sold out to EA, I think this game would have ultimately been better off for it.

As far as creative freedom goes look at Rogue One or Rebels.

Both have a hell of a lot less freedom than this game in what they can do and both did far better with telling stories. Because they knew what they were doing and made it work. 20 Years to Complete a Death Star, that is one hell of a hard sell but they did it, create the ultimate weapon in the galaxy yet know that it wont be tested in full power till episode 4, they managed that too. Rebels decided to tell the story of one rebel cell and that way they could tell their story in one sector and it wouldn't have to be galaxy changing events that don't seem to be mentioned in the original movies.

But if your going to say the entire galaxy is going to be conquered by an empire and invincible fleet that no one has ever heard of or will ever hear of again then you are going to have issues. If you then don't have the budget to update the galaxy or tell a galaxy spanning war and instead focus on 4 planets then you have to ask why make it galaxy spanning war. Many stories manage to take place on one planet alone or one sector of space. So really any creative issues are solely based on decisions made by the creative team and to suggest that EA or Disney is the cause is just an excuse. You can tell amazing detailed personal stories without having to rip up the state of the galaxy or introduce invincible fleets to do it. But if you do then sure you will run into issues with how it doesn't fit with the wider scope but thats no doubt in part why the game is not cannon and fan fiction as far as disney are concerned.

As much as i love SW and my chars and so on but the saddest thing is that this is the truth.

I guess EA thinks "okay, they love SW so no matter what we can do what we want".

It is exactly what they think...but as the backlash about SWBF 2 shown, SW fans wont go down easily to some corporate greed and short-sightedness. Sad when you think about it...what the gaming industry has become. Simpletons thinking they can make wow killers without supporting them with content the way Blizzard supports WoW, regardless of the population issues their game has...because oh yeah...every MMO suffers from those...but i guess making simple sport games is all EA can do. They should stay away from studios and games that thrive with great story and characters...again stupidly assuming that microtransactions and minimal efforts for some multiplayer aspects of a game is enough to keep up with the best on the market. CDPR says otherwise. Blizzard says otherwise. ESO says otherwise....To have the grand IP of star wars...on the rise...with new fans...movies and to not take advantage of this...this is crime....a crime.

Last week I went to check out what is happening to a forgotten mmo juggernaut from the past i spend many years playing - Lineage 2...to my surprise they are actively working and putting out an expansion. Imagine how baffled I was. A game with no more than 5000 players in the official servers.

As I said - incompetence and greed.