Carrie Fisher, ‘Star Wars’ Royalty, Dies at 60

Xina_LA

From the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/movies/carrie-fisher-dead-star-wars-princess-leia.html

Carrie Fisher, the actress, author and screenwriter who brought a rare combination of nerve, grit and hopefulness to her most indelible role, as Princess Leia in the “Star Wars” movie franchise phenomenon, died on Tuesday morning. She was 60.

“It is with a very deep sadness that Billie Lourd confirms that her beloved mother, Carrie Fisher, passed away at 8:55 this morning,” a family spokesman, Simon Hall, wrote in a statement.

Ms. Fisher had a heart attack on a flight from London to Los Angeles on Friday and had been hospitalized in Los Angeles.

Ms. Fisher, the daughter of the pop singer Eddie Fisher and the actress Debbie Reynolds, went on to use her perch among Hollywood royalty to offer wry commentary in her books on the paradoxes and absurdities of the entertainment industry.

“Star Wars,” released in 1977, turned her overnight into an international movie star. The film, written and directed by George Lucas, traveled around the world, drawing record box-office numbers. It proved to be the first installment of a blockbuster space adventure franchise whose vivid, even preposterous characters — living “a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away,” as the opening sequence announced — became pop culture legends and the progenitors of a merchandising bonanza.

Ms. Fisher established Princess Leia as a damsel who could very much deal with her own distress, whether facing down the villainy of the dreaded Darth Vader or the romantic interests of the roguish smuggler Han Solo.

Think Pirillo said it best,

"Carrie Fisher is no longer with us. I feel that my daughter has the "Hero" who's also known as a princess in entertainment. Because so many "Princesses" in entertainment are just that."

Rarely are they seen as a hero or princess outside of the entertainment industry like Carrie Fisher was.

Edited by AutoCocker

What a great loss. I'm going to give away my age but I was at the movies for Star Wars and haven't missed a single movie yet. I'm so sad. I remember the first time I saw her on screen and went WOW! I never stopped going wow in all the years after. She was a woman we could look up to and put the cool in Princess. What a horrible loss.\, been crying all day.

May the force be with you Carrie. Today the whole universe is full of sorrow.