Crafters - Please don't accept default GTN prices!

Tholena

I think the utter tediousness of putting things on the GTN is influencing prices at lot. I'm sure I'm not alone in having tons of Grade 1-5 mats that I no longer want, but can't be bothered to struggle with the GTN interface, checking prices, and just throw everything up for whatever the default is.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to a free market economy. Buy low, Sell high, that's how the rich get richer. The same rules apply in a virtual economy as in the real world. If you're willing to sell something, I'm happy to pay you for it, what I do with it from there is my business. So yes, I do and will continue to buy things that are horribly underpriced, and put them back up for a significant proffit.

PS: sometimes I get burned because the price I ask for it is, in fact, too high, and it doesn't sell. That's part of playing the market, it's a gamble that someone else is willing to pay a significantly higher price.

Yep. I'm likely to be one of your suppliers and I've got no problem with it. If you have the time (and patience) to deal with that interface, more power to you. Plenty of other avenues for me to make money.

When/if they add some proper mod support we'll see auctioneer and all this toying around is long gone.

The GTN interface is so broken and terrible. It's not the worst system i've seen, but it ain't far off.

Basics of using a tool like this is to first see if the item you're trying to sell is even up. If it isn't well, then you're screwed because you will have no idea how much people are willing to pay for it. It's a gamble at that point. Always go higher than what your gut tells you. Point is if there is no competition you can put the object back up for several days at an insane price and eventually someone will buy it or try undercut you.

Anyway it's a really boring game to play and thanks to some proper addons hopefully crafted by some geeks later on, it'll be made easy for everyone.

I think the utter tediousness of putting things on the GTN is influencing prices at lot. I'm sure I'm not alone in having tons of Grade 1-5 mats that I no longer want, but can't be bothered to struggle with the GTN interface, checking prices, and just throw everything up for whatever the default is.

This. I'm not going to sit there with a calculator.

I ran the Auctioneer mod on WoW for quite a long time, when I played, retail to 3 years. Made mad bank, and it was fun to run the numbers and think about stuff.

This GTN system is really difficult. Since there are no client mod options, we have to live with it. If they put in an option to Mark Up Default Price, then I will put in a percentage and be done with it. I don't see hardly anyone on my server (ICE Breaker) even using the system. So I'm certainly not going to sit there and play with math.

Besides, the only other option is to sell to NPC vendor. Why wouldn't I pay 70c in order to make 1.5k on an item that would vendor for 300c? I list tons of crap just to see if it goes. You get your deposit back anyway so I'm not really caring so much.

Wish this wasn't possible, I detest people who leech of others' efforts.

They set their price. How is it leeching to buy it cheap when that's what they list it as? Talk about effort! All they did was right-click the item and click "Create Sale". No thought about pricing whatsoever. I put in more effort buying their cheap crap and reselling it than they did listing it in the first place.

They set their price. How is it leeching to buy it cheap when that's what they list it as? Talk about effort! All they did was right-click the item and click "Create Sale". No thought about pricing whatsoever. I put in more effort buying their cheap crap and reselling it than they did listing it in the first place.

The chief argument of all middlemen confronted by moralists is "What am I doing wrong?" It is pretty effective. Individualist social customs and free-market capitalism play nicely with each other, and prevailing moral climate in capitalist societies is that it is not wrong to take advantage of someone else's stupidity to your own gain.

However, were they to ask the question "What am I doing right?", it would be similarly unanswerable. Money, ideally, is a common medium for the exchange of goods and services. By re-listing items on the auction houses at higher prices, you have provided neither a good nor a service. You have in fact reduced the amount of goods available to someone with a set amount of credits.

What you HAVE done is assume risk. Financial capitalist theory implies that assuming that risk (of the item not selling) is where you earn your profit. The insertion of "risk" alongside "goods" and "services" is the cornerstone of financial capitalism (as opposed to other forms of capitalism, not non-capitalist systems), and anyone hailing from the Western world following recent events will understand what a great idea that was.

In conclusion, booyah.

This except I just hoard my extra mats and don't bother with the awful GTN. I don't sell drops I find, I RE everything I make because I don't want to bother with posting it, and I just keep all my extra mats. The GTN is so bad that I just play the game without it until they fix it. I have had no wont for credits. I am doing just fine crafting for guildies and myself.

This exactly.

I was posting purple 340 Diplomacy missions in trade for 35k last night and people just kept laughing at me and telling me I was ripping people off.

After an hour I had sold 4.

Of course, anyone who would pay 35k for a Diplomacy mission is an idiot, but good for you :)

This except I just hoard my extra mats and don't bother with the awful GTN. I don't sell drops I find, I RE everything I make because I don't want to bother with posting it, and I just keep all my extra mats. The GTN is so bad that I just play the game without it until they fix it. I have had no wont for credits. I am doing just fine crafting for guildies and myself.

Agreed. I wanted to just totally run the market through finding the highest price people are willing to pay for a material...

...Then I spent just ten minutes with the GTN and gave up on that idea entirely. I don't understand hwo htey managed to take so many good ideas from other MMOs but when it came to their AH they just made it as retarded as possible.

Ways it could be improved:

1. Search for item by name without hitting three drop down menus first.

2. Make items shift clickable IE, if I have some Bronzium in my inventory or in the recipe in my crafting, I can shift click that and it'll be in the item searcher so I can see the price on it.

3. More control over selling items. I really like in "other MMOs" being able to split the items using the AH itself rather than manually doing it in my inventory (though for years that was the norm and it wasn't horrible).

• 1 month later...
The topic of this thread seems to be aimed at getting the committed crafting population to collude on certain price standards. That kind of artificial standard is a nasty and self-serving approach.

I would like the crafting community to collude on certain price standards. Here is the standard I propose: Sell your items at a minimum price of (The Cost of the materials) + 1 credit.

Please tell me how "that kind of artificial standard" is "nasty and self-serving".

When materials cost 6K (not just on the GTN, but actual cost of gathering) and you sell the finished product for 5K: 1) How is that "good" for the market? 2) How is that fair to other crafters trying to sell their wares? 3) How is that a good idea? 4) Why craft the item instead of selling the materials?

How is it a "bad" or "wrong" idea to sell items for a MINIMUM of cost of materials + 1 credit, for minimum profit? I would really like an explanation for that.

Why would anyone even bother with money in swtor lul? You got nowhere to spend it anyway. You can get 1mil+/week just by doing l50 dailies.

As for gear - HMs are easy puggable, and daily/weekly reward has been increased - so now anyone can get tionese gear, skipping crafted items.

I'm only a mid-lvl crafter, but I find that using the standard prices works just fine for me.... it'll cost me about 1k to make 3 blue armouring 7's and I sell each or them for a little under the RRP (1200 instead of 1400) and sell em quick and make over 300% profit... works for me.. dont see why people get so greedy...

I would like the crafting community to collude on certain price standards. Here is the standard I propose: Sell your items at a minimum price of (The Cost of the materials) + 1 credit.

Doesn't work. You cannot establish a guild type situation. The quantity of people that read the forums regularly is a small percent of those that play. And most of them won't bother either.

Also, what exactly defines minimum price of materials anyway? Take Mandalorian Iron. Is the cost the cost half or a third of a mission that critted, depending if it was abundant or not? Do you subtract the value of Ciridium that mission got first? Or do you factor in the chance of critting? And then does it vary with the affection and bonuses of your companions? Is it the value the iron fetches if you just sold it instead of used it?

And, really, who'd want to make a single credit profit?

There's no controlling it. Different people value their time/efforts differently. And they have different goals. For example, a member of a raiding guild wanting mastercrafted items might well not see the non-mastercrafted ones as something to sell for profit. His goal is to maximize the number of attempts so as to get the desired quantity of mastercraft. For the non-mastercrafted ones, a quick turn around is desirable, both due to the quantity of goods produced and to allow said resources to be reinvested in new attempts to get mastercraft.

You can't control them. All you can do is not join in. Find the market segments they aren't in. Wait them out and then return to the market. Price your goods at a fair price and get the occasional sale when the cheaper stuff runs out.

Edited by Battilea

Wish this wasn't possible, I detest people who leech of others' efforts.

You, my dear, need to look a little at the real world. Have you seen "American Pickers?" or perhaps "Pawn Stars" (just as loose examples). Ever watched what goes on on Craigslist or Ebay or Garage sales? The STOCK MARKET? Buy low, sell high. That's how the world works. In fact, some people make their livings purely off of that little thing. So why not in a Role Playing Game?

I say, instead of undercutting, when you can afford it, buy out the lowbies and sell higher for a profit.

Some of the people in this thread have weird ideas about the "free economy". Price fixing is an everyday occurrence in saturated markets, everyone does it as long as it provides more profit than competing and undercutting each other.

Some of the people in this thread have weird ideas about the "free economy". Price fixing is an everyday occurrence in saturated markets, everyone does it as long as it provides more profit than competing and undercutting each other.

What about the cost to make said items? How do you make up the money lost trying to get materials and specs...This has to be considered.

I gotta call garbage on this thread. Reads like somebody wants to arrange some price fixing? A good crafter studies their market, knows when they can get more and when the market is saturated, so they have to lower their profit margin.

Play it like the game that it is.

The problem is when they just sell with suggested price, floods the market and you don't sell...

Of course, If I can afford it, I buy their cheap stuff and re-sell at a decent price...

Wait.....WHAT?

How is gtn interface bad or hard to use? You just click the item your sell, put down how long your selling it for and set the price. How is that awful?

The problem is when they just sell with suggested price, floods the market and you don't sell...

Of course, If I can afford it, I buy their cheap stuff and re-sell at a decent price...

Ding ding ding....We have a winner.

Do forget that fact that the default price does not cover operation cost.

The chief argument of all middlemen confronted by moralists is "What am I doing wrong?" It is pretty effective. Individualist social customs and free-market capitalism play nicely with each other, and prevailing moral climate in capitalist societies is that it is not wrong to take advantage of someone else's stupidity to your own gain.

However, were they to ask the question "What am I doing right?", it would be similarly unanswerable. Money, ideally, is a common medium for the exchange of goods and services. By re-listing items on the auction houses at higher prices, you have provided neither a good nor a service. You have in fact reduced the amount of goods available to someone with a set amount of credits.

What you HAVE done is assume risk. Financial capitalist theory implies that assuming that risk (of the item not selling) is where you earn your profit. The insertion of "risk" alongside "goods" and "services" is the cornerstone of financial capitalism (as opposed to other forms of capitalism, not non-capitalist systems), and anyone hailing from the Western world following recent events will understand what a great idea that was.

This should be posted on every financial blog in the world, and yet here we are in the SWTOR Crew Skill forums. :sul_confused:

I tend to double or triple the suggested GTN price and I still get bought out by people playing the market and jacking up the price of what I make.

Since I use alts to gather mats, I don't lose any play time on my main to craft and I don't pay the ridiculous prices others are asking for materials just because they are prototype or artifact quality mats.

Basically I sell things I make as I level a craft. If people buy one quickly and resell it, I make more and jack my price up to below the asking price of the joker that resold my first one. If those don't sell I lower the price until it does.

It isn't hard to earn credits selling things people want, the hard part is keeping the price reasonable for the level of the item. Selling a low level mod for more credits than a low level player can afford is just stupid but if you sell for too low some lazy reseller is going to come in and buy it out and resell it for more.

I always thought a system that binds items sold on the GTN to the buyer would prevent the wonton reselling and keep the market values of items down to a reasonable level. Otherwise, prices tend to get out of hand pretty quickly.

A three weeks ago I was selling companion gifts for 2k-10k over what the mission cost. Recently after a few days of my stuff bouncing back I went through and actually searched what was going on and I found out I now have to sell them at 100-200 credits over the mission cost.

It's a shame, but that's how the market is right now and I have to deal with it. We can't teach people how to use the GTN to make a profit.